Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

reichsten posted:

I do check Juno, and also I check specific labels on Surus regularly. That's all for UK specific stuff though, most releases in the US get on Beatport

Nice one - sorry if that came across as preachy or condescending or anything, was just letting you know in case it was helpful :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

This may be really obvious too, but set up an account on discogs.com if you haven't yet. When you've added releases you own, it'll automatically notify you on the main page stream when someone you like puts out a new release.

It also makes playing connect-the-dots between labels much much easier, which is probably the most useful feature of it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Roybot posted:

It also makes playing connect-the-dots between labels much much easier, which is probably the most useful feature of it.
Yeah, in an age where everyone who makes dance music releases under 4 names across 6 labels discogs is gold.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Good call on the discogs, I just don't have time to keep it updated.

Also, I won't post the link, but I follow an illegal music blog. Oddly enough I never download from it, but they always get leaks, so if I read the site I know what releases will come out in the next week.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Nthing Discogs. I love that poo poo, I also dig through soundcloud for some unknown releases/bootlegs with free download that I like.

Solus posted:

I get my Z2 in a couple of days. Just waiting for the next payday. :allears: I'm so excited

And it was everything I thought it would be.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

oredun posted:

every record store in my area has records from 2003 for 24.99 or 17.99 for one track and 3 lovely remixes.

they can go the gently caress out of business for all i care.

This post is exactly why vinyl is a soon to be dead format. I used to love going to the record store, listening to prob 50 records, picking the 10 or so that were perfect for my next set, and having poo poo that no one else had. Now (well even 8 years ago) any noob could just fire up soulseek or whatever other P2P program and have the same exclusives for the price of free.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Nah, vinyl won't die completely. It will always be a niche collector format and vinyl still dominates amongst top DJs in Europe (at least in the house/techno scene)

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Old Man Pants posted:

This post is exactly why vinyl is a soon to be dead format. I used to love going to the record store, listening to prob 50 records, picking the 10 or so that were perfect for my next set, and having poo poo that no one else had. Now (well even 8 years ago) any noob could just fire up soulseek or whatever other P2P program and have the same exclusives for the price of free.

who got that new Joy O on vinyl though

this guy

Edit: Really though, as long as labels like Swamp 81 and Boddika's label are doing hot tracks on vinyl only, the format will never die. Also, it will just never die, never.

reichsten fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 13, 2013

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I just got my solo plan on soundcloud upgraded to a "pro unlimited" and now have every feature unlocked and unlimited hours for no price increase

E: Looks like they changed the pricing scheme down a tier, that explains the "opt in" thing

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 13, 2013

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

mitztronic posted:

I just got my solo plan on soundcloud upgraded to a "pro unlimited" and now have every feature unlocked and unlimited hours for no price increase

true indeed

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I remember watching someone talk to a big record store owner and he was saying that if anything CDs are going to be the dead format because DJs and collectors buy vinyl, while everyone else just buys data.

Also the oldest store for electronic records in this city also sells gear and merch and just recently opened a school similar to dubspot in new york. I don't think it will go anywhere, if anything it will probably get bigger. Especially in electronic music. Record shops just need to change up their business model a little bit.

I personally love having records, even if I don't take them with me to gigs. Its something tangible, something I can share and hold on to for a while. People think its cool, my DJ friends are I swap and gush over each other's collections. It's fun.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

I agree with everything stated, however I don't think that vinyl will be a viable format much longer with the 1200 being discontinued. Sure there are a lot of them out there, but there were a lot of cassette players and VCRs out there when their formats got discontinued too. I also think CD's will outlast them because everyone has a cd player in their car, and while yeah vinyl is a super cool niche, the general public couldn't care less.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Since I'm not musically talented I have been using virtual DJ's key detection to arrange my tracks for mixes and things. I reverse engineered a "path" through the keys by using the compatible keys function in VDJ: Gm Dm Am Em Bm F#m C#m G#m D#m A#m Fm Cm. So this is what I'm used to and it's how all of my sets are arranged.

With the key detection being in traktor now, the keys of the songs are different from virtual dj. My plan is to arrange my tracks using the camelot wheel. There are three settings on how to display the keys, Musical, Musical (All Sharps), and Open Key. Open key lists the tracks as 1-12d for majors, 1-12m for minors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jCJtIHXOj0

Which setting should I use? I tried some arranging of some songs into a set I already had but it's confusing for me. Especially because some keys aren't in the wheel so I don't understand how to arrange it (ex. G#m is not on the wheel.)

In addition to that, could I get some advice / an explanation of how I can work with the keys that come up in traktor and the wheel?

Edit: The video linked says you can move up or down 1 of the same "m" or "d" (Open Key) or to the side. However, another video I watched about the mix wheel said that you can also move up 2 which would increase the energy, or you can move down 3 (I tested both of these and they sounded right at least to me.) Are there other movements like this?

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 14, 2013

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

With the key detection being in traktor now

What? How do I get to that? I've been using MIK

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

revmoo posted:

What? How do I get to that? I've been using MIK

It's in the 2.6.1 update.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I like using the Camelot Key for that, it's easier for me to know that from 4A the best compatibility is one down (3A) or up (5A) or of course, another 4 track, whether it's 4A or 4B.
I'm using this http://www.ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/ for my key detection, and you can do "custom codes" to write the key.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Blowdryer posted:

Since I'm not musically talented I have been using virtual DJ's key detection to arrange my tracks for mixes and things. I reverse engineered a "path" through the keys by using the compatible keys function in VDJ: Gm Dm Am Em Bm F#m C#m G#m D#m A#m Fm Cm. So this is what I'm used to and it's how all of my sets are arranged.

With the key detection being in traktor now, the keys of the songs are different from virtual dj. My plan is to arrange my tracks using the camelot wheel. There are three settings on how to display the keys, Musical, Musical (All Sharps), and Open Key. Open key lists the tracks as 1-12d for majors, 1-12m for minors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jCJtIHXOj0

Which setting should I use? I tried some arranging of some songs into a set I already had but it's confusing for me. Especially because some keys aren't in the wheel so I don't understand how to arrange it (ex. G#m is not on the wheel.)

In addition to that, could I get some advice / an explanation of how I can work with the keys that come up in traktor and the wheel?

Edit: The video linked says you can move up or down 1 of the same "m" or "d" (Open Key) or to the side. However, another video I watched about the mix wheel said that you can also move up 2 which would increase the energy, or you can move down 3 (I tested both of these and they sounded right at least to me.) Are there other movements like this?

If VDJ is listing D#m, then use Musical (All Sharps) in Traktor, and it should display them the same way. Musical displays them as flats one key up (every sharp is also flat), which is still the same note, but won't match your notation in the metadata. Open Key is the notation system used by keyfinder that Alfajor posted above me. It's functionally the same as Mixed In Key (a circle of fifths), but the numbering isn't the same as the Camelot scale because they have it patented. So if you have some MIK metadeta and you show Open Key in Traktor, it gets confusing.

Edit: I tend to leave it in All Sharps because that's how Beatport notates. I haven't ever been able to remember the wheel > key combinations, so it's easier to remember at a glance while searching for tracks if they're both the same.

Pro tip: sort by key in Traktor and it'll color code songs near each other, which for me is a lot more effective at showing like-keyed songs.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that while Traktor won't show the Camelot notation, when you sort by key above, the colors are more or less identical:

Doesn't show up right in the screenshot, but you'll see what I mean. Nice little shot across the bow from NI.

theysayheygreg fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 15, 2013

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Gotta get that. I made it to like 340mb on the download and then Chome locked up. Why is the NI site so slow on downloads.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
It's a lot faster to get it through Service Center than from the website.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Note to self, wear earplugs next time you plan to drop songs from Borgore in a crowded house party with speakers cranked as far as you can without blowing them out.

That goes for everyone else too :colbert:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Solus posted:

wear earplugs

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Re: Earplugs

1. Hearos foam (32 dB, very poor sound quality, $10 for a box of 20 pairs)
I recommend these if you will be close to speakers or at a particularly loud event. They make everthing sound like poo poo but offer the best price/protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-20-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ3H4

2. Etymonic ER-20 (12 dB, fairly flat reduction, ~$20)
I exclusively use these now because of how well they sound. I used the foam earplugs for 4 years and switched to these this past year.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ER+20&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AER+20

I've heard mostly negative things about fitted earplugs (mostly that they work great, but break easily and are expensive and difficult to replace)

I'm interested if anyone else has any good recommendations

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

mitztronic posted:

2. Etymonic ER-20 (12 dB, fairly flat reduction, ~$20)
I exclusively use these now because of how well they sound. I used the foam earplugs for 4 years and switched to these this past year.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ER+20&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AER+20

I think I'll grab two pairs of these on payday. :getin: Thanks for the reccomendation

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another vote for the Etymotics ER20s; mine come with me everywhere. Unfortunately I'm forgetful and stupid as poo poo, so I don't actually wear them as often as I should.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

I'll chime in and say the etymotics are awesome, I was super bummed I forgot mine when I was in miami this past weekend. The hearos made everything sound so muffled.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Looks like they're being sold as Elacin ER20s here in continental Europe, just ordered a pair.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

mitztronic posted:

I've heard mostly negative things about fitted earplugs (mostly that they work great, but break easily and are expensive and difficult to replace)

I bought a pair of fitted silicone musicians plugs a couple months ago. Reason #1 was I'm a drummer, and sitting that close to the noisemakers was pretty brutal on the ears. They are super comfy, I've left them in for hours at a time, and the frequency response is very flat. They were a couple hundred bucks though. Looks like they'll last if you take care of them, I always keep them in a small plastic container when they're not in my ears, and wash them lightly every time I take 'em out. Now I use them for any high-volume scene, including concerts and riding my motorcycle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ER20s here too, in venues that aren't treated acoustically they clean the music up an awful lot.

:raise: Legible music is a good thing?

:v: Nah mate, just blast your loving ears to bits.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

Earplugs!!!

What's that grandpa? Can't hear poo poo? Well yeah, one of the unfortunate downsides to becoming a DJ is being in loud environments a LOT. And despite what rock and rollers might tell you, if it's too loud, it means you are damaging your hearing

Get a pair of these and keep them in your bag. In fact, get several pairs, they are drat cheap. They have flat frequency response and don't sound "muffled" like traditional cheap foam earplugs.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html

I always wear these when I'm at the club and not playing. It's not as good as getting custom molded plugs with interchangable filters, but it's a good start. As someone who's been DJing for a long time and spent far too many nights in front of loud speakers with no protection, I can tell you that tinitus sucks really bad. Mine is not quite to the point where it's preventing me from living my life, but I certainly don't want it to get any worse.

Smugquote from Page 1 of this thread :smugdog:

I still have a pair or two of ER-20s I keep around, but I did get custom molded Etymotic musician earplugs last year. The kind with the interchangeable filters

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

vanilla slimfast posted:

Smugquote from Page 1 of this thread :smugdog:
I did get custom molded Etymotic musician earplugs last year. The kind with the interchangeable filters

I got the 15 dB filter. Which do you have, and when do you use which? After a year how are they holding up?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
You guys use the ER-20s for DJing? Doesn't the thing that stick out kind of rub up against the headphones?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

epalm posted:

I got the 15 dB filter. Which do you have, and when do you use which? After a year how are they holding up?

Also got the 15 dB filter, don't have any of the others yet. After a year they are doing fine although I need to get the mold re-done because they don't *quite* fit snug as I would like. They are supposed to go past the second bend in the ear canal and because my canals are extremely narrow, the mold didn't turn out quite right.

Alfajor posted:

You guys use the ER-20s for DJing? Doesn't the thing that stick out kind of rub up against the headphones?

Nah, never used the ER-20s while DJing when I wore them, just before/after my sets or when I was at a club or concert in general.

I do eventually plan to get the 5 dB filter for my molded plugs for use while DJing. Tried once or twice to do it with the 15 dB filters but couldn't quite make it work

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Got hired to do a thing last night. The guy organising it said that the people invited like House music mostly, which I like playing.

Everyone wanted Top40, which I don't have a lot of. :smith:

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Solus posted:

Got hired to do a thing last night. The guy organising it said that the people invited like House music mostly, which I like playing.

me every night.
yesterday I played at the art schools internal little grey area pub thing and it went awesome, people were doing breakdance battles and having a good time. Then I played trap for like a while and after enough beers I just played whatever I consider classic songs to get drunk and dance to. I like art students, but like seven of them requested this song from a movie... and now I can't remember.

then I just played video game music.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

most events you will ever play thats not called BASS NIGHT ON THE DOWNLOW DOUBLE PHAT TRAPSTEP BASS DROPS you will need a large, healthy top40 collection.

if you have:

get low
thrift shop
fuckin problems
that new kesha song(c'mon?)
back that azz up
a couple of lil wayne songs(go dj, imagine, im drawing a blank here i cant think of some good ones)
dont stop the party
party in the usa
wagon wheel
dont stop believing
a tupac song
a biggie song
and one local fight song(ie sports)

you can pretty much play any party ever.(for at least next 6 months)

think of the songs that when you are totally loving wasted and are trying to get your mack on with some ho at the club, that you would most like to hear. then play those songs. i can guarantee DJing success using this formula. think of the women. pretend men arent even there, they dont matter unless you want a gay rear end sausage fest.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

oredun posted:

a couple of lil wayne songs(go dj, imagine, im drawing a blank here i cant think of some good ones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPjONDN3ZI :confused:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Alfajor posted:

Back to Ear chat.

I used these last night and these fit fine beneath my headphones. I could still cue properly through them too. Saved my ears last night. I'd gladly add my name to the list of "Oh sweet Jesus get a pair of those"

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
For the past 2 nights I've had to set up in DJ booths that were a complete mess. Friday night was week old half full drinks and empty beer bottles, last night was a DJ booth that had every possible power cable and audio cable unplugged. I'm just glad I got there early enough last night to figure everything out. People need to clean up after themselves and leave things the way they found them. Christ. :argh:

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

TheWevel posted:

People need to clean up after themselves and leave things the way they found them. Christ. :argh:

These are not the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

oredun posted:

a gay rear end sausage fest.

New thread title?