Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there some aesthetic reason they try to keep Kirk out of the captain's shirt in these movies? Like the yellow/gold isn't appealing for a main character to have? I can understand why he wouldn't be in one for the first movie, but it seems like the new one is designed to keep him out of the captain's shirt as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Captain's Shirt? :confused:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Captain's Shirt? :confused:

"Mr. Spock, I brought you this bar code. I hope you feel better soon."

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I guess I just mean the command color shirt then.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Kingtheninja posted:

I guess I just mean the command color shirt then.

Kirk rarely ever wears a shirt in the original series, it gets in the way of his double fisted punches.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's a valid concern, though. I mean, we're supposed to be seeing the adventures of Captain Kirk ... and these movies go out of their way to keep the Captain out of command gold. It's frustrating, too, because I go just a little gay for Chris Pine when I see him wearing the gold tunic.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My absolute favorite part of the '09 Star Trek film was the end when Pine strides onto set with the command gold uniform on and kind of belches out "Bones!" He was just so drat Kirk!

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Evil Sagan posted:

My absolute favorite part of the '09 Star Trek film was the end when Pine strides onto set with the command gold uniform on and kind of belches out "Bones!" He was just so drat Kirk!

I went YESSSS when I saw that. Fantastic moment.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there some aesthetic reason they try to keep Kirk out of the captain's shirt in these movies? Like the yellow/gold isn't appealing for a main character to have? I can understand why he wouldn't be in one for the first movie, but it seems like the new one is designed to keep him out of the captain's shirt as much as possible.

I suspect there is. Like the art directors don't think the command gold is a good color for Pine. It does seem to make him look a bit shorter, I think.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evil Sagan posted:

That was the one and only moment in the movie when I felt like Pine said "gently caress it" and went for his best Shatner impression, and it worked perfectly.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Timby posted:

That was the one and only moment in the movie when I felt like Pine said "gently caress it" and went for his best Shatner impression, and it worked perfectly.

I'm with you on that. It definitely seemed like the only overt Shatner impression he tried the whole movie.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Shatner really comes out when he's irritated, like when he snaps "STOP IT" while Bones is injecting him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think there's a third Shatner moment: when he and Spock get on Future Spock's ship and Spock is all like "very low chance of success" and Pine interrupts him and tells him "it'll work!"

The hints of Shatner are jussssst the correct amount and really make the movie for me.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Pine eating the apple on the bridge during the Kobyashi test was peak Shatner.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Great_Gerbil posted:

I suspect there is. Like the art directors don't think the command gold is a good color for Pine. It does seem to make him look a bit shorter, I think.

I'm pretty new to the whole Star Trek thing, but isn't this why they changed the captain shirts to red when the Next Generation started up? Something about Patrick Stewart looking like poo poo in them.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

echoplex posted:

Pine eating the apple on the bridge during the Kobyashi test was peak Shatner.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Warszawa posted:

I'm pretty new to the whole Star Trek thing, but isn't this why they changed the captain shirts to red when the Next Generation started up? Something about Patrick Stewart looking like poo poo in them.
I'm trying to imagine Picard/Riker in yellow and it's just unbelievably, profoundly Wrong. From my quick search, the TNG color switch stemmed from Data's makeup - he looked best in yellow, so they took it from there.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

If I remember the commentary, Abrahms said the Kirk eating the apple during the test (mirroring Shatner's Kirk munching an apple while telling the story of how he passed the test in TWoK) was completely coincidence. I have a feeling it must have been a callback the writers threw in that went over his head.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's been a while, but I think Pine said that he read somewhere that anyone eating an apple looks more confident whilst doing so.

A non-JJTrek-But-Trek-Movie-Based Question:

I don't get Khan's motivation and rationale in Wrath Of Khan. Here's a fiercely independent guy who was once a ruler of a chunk of Earth. Had nothing go wrong on Ceti Alpha V, Kahn would have been offended if Kirk had 'checked up' on him and his people. So why does he blame Kirk when a loving planet explodes, rendering his world a desert? I can explain being pissed in general, but not at Kirk specifically.

It seems like the whole plot would make more sense if Khan just wanted a ship to escape the planet, and Kirk was getting in his way.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 12, 2013

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Because, like any megalomaniac unaccustomed to recognizing (let alone facing) his own shortcomings and failures, Khan can't possibly be at fault for, among other things, the death of his wife. It has to be that bastard who marooned him on a doomed planet.

It helps that he's gone round the bend.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can somewhat accept that, but I have some trouble accepting that a Genetic Superman, who is regularly said to be extremely intelligent, would blame a fellow human for a planet exploding. There's round-the-bend, and there's genetically-augmented-pants-on-head.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Maybe even genetic supermen can have emotions and human qualities like hubris???

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
He doesn't blame Kirk for the planet exploding, he blames Kirk for stranding him on the planet next door to the one that exploded.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I rewatched ST09 for the first time in ages. Kirk gets about 12 head wounds, six in the bar fight, one knockout from spock, hits his head once and a handful of hits during the romulan fights. I hope they keep hitting him in the sequel, it's pretty funny that Kirk is still crap at fighting when everyone else is on hollywood level. My other wish is that Chris Pine gets increasingly overweight throughout the series, but that's less likely.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

MisterBibs posted:

I can somewhat accept that, but I have some trouble accepting that a Genetic Superman, who is regularly said to be extremely intelligent, would blame a fellow human for a planet exploding. There's round-the-bend, and there's genetically-augmented-pants-on-head.

Because holding a grudge is a rational act.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

You kinda missed the bit of the background where the genetically augmented supermen are a bunch of racial supremacists who start a third world war. The reason Star Trek Humans ban genetic augmentation is because in Star Trek it turns out that when you create literal Nazi Supermen then they invariably start acting like Nazi supermen.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Payndz posted:

He doesn't blame Kirk for the planet exploding, he blames Kirk for stranding him on the planet next door to the one that exploded.

...and for not bothering to check up on him. Or anyone one else from Starfleet bothering to do check on him. Dumping the entire crew of the Reliant on that desert planet might have been an extra bit of revenge against Starfleet in general.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rocket Ace posted:

...and for not bothering to check up on him. Or anyone one else from Starfleet bothering to do check on him. Dumping the entire crew of the Reliant on that desert planet might have been an extra bit of revenge against Starfleet in general.

Ya that is exactly what it was. He did have some legitimate grivences, but he went overboard with it. Also when they left him it was not a desert planet, it was just a bit rough.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

MisterBibs posted:

It's been a while, but I think Pine said that he read somewhere that anyone eating an apple looks more confident whilst doing so.

A non-JJTrek-But-Trek-Movie-Based Question:

I don't get Khan's motivation and rationale in Wrath Of Khan. Here's a fiercely independent guy who was once a ruler of a chunk of Earth. Had nothing go wrong on Ceti Alpha V, Kahn would have been offended if Kirk had 'checked up' on him and his people. So why does he blame Kirk when a loving planet explodes, rendering his world a desert? I can explain being pissed in general, but not at Kirk specifically.

It seems like the whole plot would make more sense if Khan just wanted a ship to escape the planet, and Kirk was getting in his way.

MisterBibs posted:

Oh my god.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

well why not posted:

I rewatched ST09 for the first time in ages. Kirk gets about 12 head wounds, six in the bar fight, one knockout from spock, hits his head once and a handful of hits during the romulan fights. I hope they keep hitting him in the sequel, it's pretty funny that Kirk is still crap at fighting when everyone else is on hollywood level. My other wish is that Chris Pine gets increasingly overweight throughout the series, but that's less likely.

I'm kind of hoping that at some point in Pines run as Kirk there's a moment where he's getting his as handed to him, he suddenly has an "eureka" moment where he puts his hands together in the classic trek Double Fist Slam, and turns the tide.

Yes, it would be indefensively retarded, but its a reboot-cum-sequel of a franchise legendary for terrible fight choreography and it would be absolutely hilarious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mr. stefan posted:

I'm kind of hoping that at some point in Pines run as Kirk there's a moment where he's getting his as handed to him, he suddenly has an "eureka" moment where he puts his hands together in the classic trek Double Fist Slam, and turns the tide.

Yes, it would be indefensively retarded, but its a reboot-cum-sequel of a franchise legendary for terrible fight choreography and it would be absolutely hilarious.

The movie needs to have the fight music from Amok Time. That music is classic and something that everyone remembers.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And bust out the fancy glaive/q-tips. Sulu got an extending sword, give a extending glaive to Spock. And Kirk can get an extending double-fist, Scotty an extendable bottle of whiskey, and Uhura a collapsable skirt :heysexy:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

And bust out the fancy glaive/q-tips. Sulu got an extending sword, give a extending glaive to Spock. And Kirk can get an extending double-fist, Scotty an extendable bottle of whiskey, and Uhura a collapsable skirt :heysexy:

:eng101: Lirpa

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

These action figures SELL THEMSELVES

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Krulka! :nyd:

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhz4A5BCMAA

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like how the usual stuffy federation council meeting has been supplanted by a Dr. Strangelove homage.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This movie is going to have like 25 distinct action sequences. I hope they can fit a story in there somewhere.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's a URL hidden in the scene where Carol is in her underwear (clever, that). It leads to a site with a new poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

OH COME ON. WE'VE BARELY USED THE ENTERPRISE FOR gently caress SAKES!!

• Locked thread