Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Torabi posted:

Last time I checked I couldn't make myself a Zoroastrian character with the king maker dlc thing. The option was grayed out.

CK2+ allows you to play pagans. Of course you won't have any options religion-wise, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok gently caress this game. EUIII is impossibly frustrating with it's stupid whack a rebellion. Is there a mod that adds in the crippling status effects that CK2Plus does to each county when under rebellion? Between Westernization, a protracted war with Austria that ramped my war weariness up to 13-15 area and the nonstop spy infiltrations the game becomes unplayable. I won the war merely because I could throw waves after waves of my lovely troops in stacks of 50 onto Austria's 15 man armies. I conclude the defensive war by giving some land back to France who has utterly splintered and find myself in more dire straights after the war than during because of all the loving rebellions. Then there is the totally impossible micromanagment of the pirates and rebellions on stupid islands in the Pacific. There is an outright 60 man "Byzantian Noble" rebellion that burst out of Constantinople during one of the Westernization events. Whoever recommended Westernization is a total crook, gently caress it's taken 100 years and I'm still not completed the job nor do I have Western units.

I own Madagascar and the islands leading East up into the Malaysia and Philippine area. Most of the island nations in the Maylasia area are vassals. France and Britain blew apart in an astonishing fashion which allowed me to start an Alliance with them and Castille is still chugging along. Austria threw down with me for some ungodly long war of easily 10+ years. There are no Protestant or Reformed nations any longer.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 11, 2013

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

YouTuber posted:

There is an outright 60 man "Byzantian Noble" rebellion that burst out of Constantinople during one of the Westernization events. Whoever recommended Westernization is a total crook, gently caress it's taken 100 years and I'm still not completed the job nor do I have Western units.

Well, you've taken a lot of wrong religion, wrong culture provinces in middle east/arabia and none of the italian provinces you get missions to take.

The 60 man noble rebels I'd guess spawned by not choosing "resist western influences". Westernisation is best done by westernizing, and until you get your stab back and your sliders in order, choose the resist western influences which give you ten years of not being able to modernize the military but also none of the ridiculous events.

A single ship in a port will keep pirates from spawning in that port, and I'm not sure but possibly the adjacent port as well.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jean Pony posted:

Well, you've taken a lot of wrong religion, wrong culture provinces in middle east/arabia and none of the italian provinces you get missions to take.

Westernisation is best done by westernizing, and until you get your stab back and your sliders in order, choose the resist western influences which give you ten years of not being able to modernize the military but also none of the ridiculous events.

I've been "westernizing" for literally 100 years straight. 95% of my providences are Orthodox and all of modern day Turkey's borders are Greek. Is it a RNG turnover that I'm waiting for? I just get shitloads of events that I've been accepting since I was at peace and had nowhere really to expand to since Italy was controlled by Great Britain when it was at full strength or guaranteed by Castille. It wasn't until after my war with Austria that I've fallen into a quagmire with rebellions. I'm not seeing any progress when it comes to modernizing the military.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You need to resist Western Influence until you have the required stability to modernise the military. Otherwise lovely events will keep happening to you.

Also everybody told you to expand East inland, I don't know why you decided to nab Southeast Asian provinces. It's a complete bitch to ship troops around and squash rebellions. I wouldn't do it regardless of how profitable it was.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

YouTuber posted:

I've drug Byzantium out of the gutter and expanded decently. However, I feel like I'm hosed because I cannot get an edge over the Western nations. Being so far from the Iberia region makes it impossible to colonize America so I lost that race badly. Castille has already dominated almost 80% of Africa's coast and is extremely powerful. Where do I go? East to China and Japan? Also what units should I be using? I see Muslim Musketmen far reaches of my Empire but my capital builds Pikemen. Should I be using technology from the Muslim group or are they just naturally weaker than the Eastern which are weaker than the Western?

Relive the dream of Alexandros, crush Persia and reach India.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Torabi posted:

Is there any Paradox game that features the Persian Empire?

Yo dawg, I heard you like Persia. I totally hooked you up.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Crackpipe posted:

What's going on with Joraqatar?

*edit*
Are there any decent mods for House Divided besides APD?

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 11, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*edit*
Are there any decent mods for House Divided besides APD?

New Nations Mod alone is pretty great imho, doesn't bog down the game nearly as much as APD and makes it still pretty fun.

Napoleon's Legacy and A Serb Divided are pretty good alt scenarios; ASD is more developed I feel, and it also has the advantage of Europe being more divided (although the Aztec and South American blob still provide for ultrastable super powers in the new world).

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure if it's my imagination but it feels like New nations mod increases the likelihood of war. I've seen multiple big wars and loads of minor since I switched from vanilla vic2. Anyway, it makes the game feel more dynamic and fun.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I manually lowered all the infamy hits to 1/4th of what they were and that seems to be motivation enough for people to go to war. And I am getting all sorts of weird stuff like Austria going for Hedjaz, Holland owns Jerusalem, Portugal has Palestine....
It does seem unbalanced tough, as France I had no problem conquering entire north Africa and parts of Egypt in less than 10 years. I should be able to keep others out of Africa if I can keep this going.

Best part of the game so far is the +1 militancy event with the text "what's next, a comet?" I actually laughed out loud when I got that one.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Pop Divided and New Nations Mod adds new CBs, which probably tie up with the increased likehood of war. These are featured in A Srb Divided as well, since it was built over NNM.

DrProsek posted:

New Nations Mod alone is pretty great imho, doesn't bog down the game nearly as much as APD and makes it still pretty fun.

Napoleon's Legacy and A Serb Divided are pretty good alt scenarios; ASD is more developed I feel, and it also has the advantage of Europe being more divided (although the Aztec and South American blob still provide for ultrastable super powers in the new world).

Thanks. One of the things I'm working on for the next version is a civil war event chain for Tepehuacu, which means that not every game will have an Aztec superblob ruling in splendid isolation from South America.

I've also been playing Napoleon's Legacy, it's rather interesting and makes the USA a fair bit more challenging to play as, so that's been fun.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 11, 2013

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

Crackpipe posted:

Yo, this is my Vicky2 Persia, inspired by Torabi's post. Was really close to becoming a great power until Russia Sphered me which tanked my industry.

Playing with the New Nations mod, by the way. Was planning on invading the Ottomans early on, but somehow they not only did not crumble but actually stayed a great power and became one of the major colonial powers in Africa, along with Portugal and Austria. There's still like 50 years left of the game though, so I should hopefully be able to reach Greece at one point and make them bow to me, like Xerxes did.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

YouTuber posted:

I've been "westernizing" for literally 100 years straight. 95% of my providences are Orthodox and all of modern day Turkey's borders are Greek. Is it a RNG turnover that I'm waiting for? I just get shitloads of events that I've been accepting since I was at peace and had nowhere really to expand to since Italy was controlled by Great Britain when it was at full strength or guaranteed by Castille. It wasn't until after my war with Austria that I've fallen into a quagmire with rebellions. I'm not seeing any progress when it comes to modernizing the military.

Perhaps I was unclear. Westernization is a two-step process. First you reform the government which brings the tech speed up to par and then you reform the military which gives you western units. Both steps are decisions with some requirements. For military modernization the requirements are:

Western tech group
Not Western military
Stability = 3
Centralization vs. Decentralization -5 or below
Have a ruler with administrative skills of 7 or more
Nation is not under the effect of Resisting Western Influences

After you've reformed the government but before you've reformed the military you will get events like merchants/peasants/nobles resist western influences. Now you get the choice to either ignore them and suffer worse and worse effects or you can listen to them, lose 2 prestige and get a 10 year modifier called resisting western influences. While that modifier is active you cannot reform the military. So get your affairs in order: max stability, max centralization and an adm 7 monarch. Until then: resist western influences!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Jean Pony posted:

Perhaps I was unclear. Westernization is a two-step process. First you reform the government which brings the tech speed up to par and then you reform the military which gives you western units. Both steps are decisions with some requirements. For military modernization the requirements are:

Western tech group
Not Western military
Stability = 3

After you've reformed the government but before you've reformed the military you will get events like merchants/peasants/nobles resist western influences. Now you get the choice to either ignore them and suffer worse and worse effects or you can listen to them, lose 2 prestige and get a 10 year modifier called resisting western influences. While that modifier is active you cannot reform the military. So get your affairs in order: max stability, max centralization and an adm 7 monarch. Until then: resist western influences!

This is the most counter-intuitive bullshit EU has thrown at me yet.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Antinumeric posted:

Honestly I really hope in EUIV westernization is just paying a huge amount of administrative plus stability 3 and that's it. None of that resisting western influences, maybe not even bordering a western nation. Ryukyu world conquest is hard enough as it is :colbert:.

E: Speaking of Ryukyu, has there been any word from Paradox on converting your nation between religious groups? Animist Ryukyu is pretty cool, but Sunni Ryukyu is better!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DrProsek posted:

Honestly I really hope in EUIV westernization is just paying a huge amount of administrative plus stability 3 and that's it. None of that resisting western influences, maybe not even bordering a western nation. Ryukyu world conquest is hard enough as it is :colbert:.

E: Speaking of Ryukyu, has there been any word from Paradox on converting your nation between religious groups? Animist Ryukyu is pretty cool, but Sunni Ryukyu is better!

I hope they don't give non-western nations a double-penalty with a tech penalty and then a penalty in that the units, even for their tech level are dogshit.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Panzeh posted:

I hope they don't give non-western nations a double-penalty with a tech penalty and then a penalty in that the units, even for their tech level are dogshit.
The way units are split among tech types is probably the worst thing about EU3. There's no such thing as learning new technologies and taking advantage of new developments (China. Japan.), no you have to completely transition your society into a Western one. Russia, for instance, would have fielded functionally modern troops whether Peter the Great got a hard-on for French Neo-Classicalism or not. And the farther away from the West it gets, the more arbitrary it is. Aren't Aztecs and Mayans in the same tech group as the friggin Shawnee? :psyduck:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

I wonder if this is supposed to have some basis in reality. You need to kickstart the Westernisation process but ostensibly resist it.. until your government is powerful enough to bulldoze it through. In my experience this is also the only way to Westernisation because the horrible events won't let you get anywhere near the requirements for reforming the military.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jean Pony posted:

Western tech group
Not Western military
Stability = 3

Oh ok, that was the problem. I have Centralization almost maxed and I already have Western Technology. I can't pass some red line I believe. However I'm stuck with a poo poo ruler so more or less it's totally RNG based until a ruler arises that isn't poo poo? :suicide: This game has the potential to be so interesting but utterly cripples itself with odd design choices.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Yeah, as others said, westernizing is about improving your tech group and unit types. Not sure what your province religion and culture has to do with that. It is a pretty bullshit concept for a number of reasons, but you can't really complain that the game is terrible because you're doing it wrong. Here's a good tutorial on westernizing. Also you really shot your self in the foot by expanding so much before westernizing.

YouTuber posted:

Oh ok, that was the problem. I have Centralization almost maxed and I already have Western Technology. I can't pass some red line I believe. However I'm stuck with a poo poo ruler so more or less it's totally RNG based until a ruler arises that isn't poo poo? :suicide: This game has the potential to be so interesting but utterly cripples itself with odd design choices.

You can pass the red line, you just get +1 revolt risk for every step past it. Also if you don't want to deal with RNG bullshit, you can switch your government to a noble republic.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really hope they make westernization in EUIV more of an inbuilt 'system', like the V2 uncivilized -> civilized mechanic. Kludging it with unintuitive events is just a mess, and everyone enjoys modernizing their favorite ROTW nation, so it could really use some more love.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are they still using techgroups? That mechanic always felt like a kludge, as it's basically an arbitrary thing to sandbag Arab and Asian nations to match historical development.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's really funny is that since everyone gets units with a fire phase at Land 18, it means that Europe invents gunpowder before Asia.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

What's really funny is that since everyone gets units with a fire phase at Land 18, it means that Europe invents gunpowder before Asia.

Ottoman's Azab Infantry are pretty badass, though.

edit: And Muslim and Indian tech groups gets gunpowder at Land 15. Good luck reaching that before Europe, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 11, 2013

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I hope they ditch tech groups. Sandbagging non-Europeans just produces a world that isn't very believable in general. Having better reasons for technological stagnation (or, on the flip side, rapid technological growth) would make for a more enjoyable game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dibujante posted:

I hope they ditch tech groups. Sandbagging non-Europeans just produces a world that isn't very believable in general. Having better reasons for technological stagnation (or, on the flip side, rapid technological growth) would make for a more enjoyable game.

I believe they mentioned tech groups being a thing that modify the cost for technologies in points.

Which is a crying shame, the way commerce now works, moving through actual provinces and points that need to be controlled would be ideal for technological development as well, as Europe didn't really achieve an hegemonic position until most of the world's trade was moving through it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
If my time-traveling level 50,000 Iroquois non-Western troops can't take on some level 30 English pikemen then I will be sorely disappointed.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It might mean that is easy to just normalize tech rates in a mod and then the commerce handles everything else. I actually like the tech groups for the neighbor bonus feature of them, I just wish they were all had the same tech rate and units were roughly the same at the same tech level.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eu3 tech groups work well enough when you play with the slow_limit modifier that was added in one of the various patches. I think it was a HTTT patch, but it could have been DW.

The slow_limit setting lets you put a tech level at which the tech percentages actually kick in. By default, it's only set for a few of the tech groups, and it's set to a pretty low level (3-7). I modded it to range from 17-33, and it works drat well. The first two hundred years all the various groups are pretty similar, although the rich HRE OPMs do tend to pull Europe out a tiny bit ahead. Once the other tech groups start hitting their limits however, Europe will end up with a tech lead, but at least the rest of the world isn't entirely useless.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I wonder if there will be a way to culturally restrict units. That way you could throw every tag into the same tech group and rebalance Europe's resources so that they're producing dirt and sheep and have to trade to make money. Then maybe you'd have a fairer game.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I really hope they don't go with the "Westernization" thing for EU4, where the more close to Western you are, the better, because it just stinks of Eurocentrism. Like being Western is the greatest thing in the world! Somebody really ought to give the Paradox devs a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I really hope they don't go with the "Westernization" thing for EU4, where the more close to Western you are, the better, because it just stinks of Eurocentrism. Like being Western is the greatest thing in the world! Somebody really ought to give the Paradox devs a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel.

I'm pretty sure many/most of them have read that book. I don't want to say anything else without delving too deep into white knighting them, but I think the Euro-centric part of the game was a deliberate design choice to save resources and concentrate on the part of the game that many of their fans like and identify with.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Tech groups and westernization works perfectly fine as a simplified gameplay mechanic. It could use some tweaking, sure, but it's not bad or anything.

e; and yeah, I'm fairly certain that some people at Paradox have read that book, it's a high profile history book and I'm pretty sure that there are some people at Paradox that are interested in history.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I think the difficulty for Paradox is that there isn't really a consensus among historians as to why western Europe overtook the middle east and Asia during this period, so how should they model it? I'd like to see something other than inherent bonuses for western Europe but I couldn't suggest a practical alternative that would give roughly historical results.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Plus, the game's called Europa Universalis, its not like its hiding the fact the game is primarily about Europe.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

SeaTard posted:

I'm pretty sure many/most of them have read that book. I don't want to say anything else without delving too deep into white knighting them, but I think the Euro-centric part of the game was a deliberate design choice to save resources and concentrate on the part of the game that many of their fans like and identify with.

Besides, they have an easy enough modding system to help with the rest of the world.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Kainser posted:

I'm pretty sure that there are some people at Paradox that are interested in history.

I don't know, what are the chances of that?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ImPureAwesome posted:

Plus, the game's called Europa Universalis, its not like its hiding the fact the game is primarily about Europe.

Sure, but there's no need to say "you are Chinese, so your best unit tops out at land tech 44 and is really lovely even for that level of land tech."

They make up tons of Byzantium poo poo, they can make something up for Napoleonic-era tech for the Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Blowback from a Persian military adventure, I believe.

Despite being a staunch ally, I decided after Westernization it was only sensible that I curb Persia's ambitions. I couldn't get involved in a lengthy war that might encourage the Western powers to take advantage of the situation, so I took them prestige hit and flooded them with rebels. Asia was a crazy place to live for a few decades.

I still have no idea why Carpathia defected to me. It was snugly sandwiched between Hungary, Poland and Moldavia when it suddenly went Muslim and turned green. I tried selling it, but I had to give it to Ukraine for nothing, only to lose a ton of prestige and end up having them defect back like a year later.

Moldavia succumbed, only for my vassal Wallachia to grab a defecting Polish province.

• Locked thread