Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've come to the sad realization that between two jobs and a girlfriend, I simply do not have time to fix my KLR myself, and will have to take it to a shop.

It was a painful moment when it hit me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I finally got around to changing the exhaust on my bike and adding forward controls. As much as I like the tighter center of gravity, putting my legs in that position gave me wicked cramps.

The bike:

The poo poo:

Step one, remove this pile of metal:

Step two, drop this nut one hundred million times.

Nude:

With controls installed:

And finally done:

I gave it a quick spin around my apartment complex before putting it away just to see how it sounds and feels. It's getting pretty late, and that loving nut that I dropped a million times eventually vaporized when I was trying to get the exhaust flange back on. It must have skittered away to some unreachable place in the garage, because I haven't seen it since. I'll buy a new one tomorrow.

Most valuable tool award goes to that telescoping thing with the magnet on the end.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My friends Rebel 250 has varnish on one of the valves from being parked on an incline then sitting in a garage for 3 years.
I just sprayed some seafoam in there and hit it with the high pressure air nozzle and it came off.
Good to know, cause I may have to do that work again soon.

Test rode these today in this order:

Rode the RT for about an hour and a half on the interstate. That thing will rival anything less than a modern Goldwing for touring comfort. drat, it was nice. Even has foot heaters.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That is one mighty fuckin' fine CB750. The pleated bench is the perfect finish.

I did this today on the CB650:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Swapped out the plugs. By the looks of them, I should've done it sooner.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Strife posted:

And finally done:

I'm not a massive fan of that particular style of bike but I bumped into a lovely old bloke up at the Sun Inn the other day on (what I think was) a Fat Bob in matt black with those same pipes and it looked absolutely beautiful :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just rode home through a force 9 blizzard, it was...

...intense.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just rode home from a camping trip where I slept outdoors, it was...

...in tents

:haw:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That smilie needs a shoulder length perm.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:unsmith:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I want your disposable income.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KARMA! posted:

I want your disposable income.

Based on my experience with my vstar exploding a gearbox bearing, it's less "disposable" income, more "oh gently caress me come on" income.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

Based on my experience with my vstar exploding a gearbox bearing, it's less "disposable" income, more "oh gently caress me come on" income.
You sold your body for a Vstar gearbox? :D

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I tried, but between you and me it's sort of a hard sell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

Truth. I'd rather be spending this money on hookers and blow tires and trackdays or a WR250X, not fixing this poo poo.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I taught whereisnovember how to wash a motorcycle!

"spray it with this windex"

"k"

I also did my first mod to the bike since it had everything I wanted already done to it before I bought it.

(I put a sticker on it)

And here's another shot because why not

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 12, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Let's get serious.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Good to know, cause I may have to do that work again soon.

Test rode these today in this order:

Rode the RT for about an hour and a half on the interstate. That thing will rival anything less than a modern Goldwing for touring comfort. drat, it was nice. Even has foot heaters.

OH GOD YES. ALL OF IT YES! A MILLION TIMES... :stare::fh:...unf

That CB looks immaculate and that Superhawk is a fun bike. I like the chin spoiler on there too.

Xovaan posted:

Just rode home from a camping trip where I slept outdoors, it was...

...in tents

my favorite phrase.
:hfive:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 13, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Getting the Ulysses prepped for my cross-country trip in June starts... yesterday. Got it up off the ground and checked the static timing. To check it you're supposed bump the crank past TDC via the rear wheel with the gearbox in 5th while simultaneously watching the diagnostic software for when the voltage switches over and the mark on the crank for when it hits exactly center of the timing hole.

I ended up sitting about 4 feet from the bike with floodlights shining all over the timing hole, with the laptop next to it, looking at both through a low power spotting scope so I could see both at the same time - while I had a friend bump the wheel. Turned out to be pretty far advanced. That explains why it engine brakes so much harder than my friend's Ulysses, I guess. Going to have to adjust the CAS back a bit before proceeding with the ECM remapping.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Every time I think, "Man, I really want a Uly," you post something like that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a premium hand-built motorcycle, what can you expect?

Speaking of premium hand-built motorcycles: my brother's Multistrada 1200, which has left him stranded on the last day of two separate trips, has finally been diagnosed. He took it in for a scheduled coolant change and when it got it back it was nothing but trouble. The service department told him that there was a problem with some of those testastretta motors (including his) coming out of the factory with a 100% concentration of the coolant, instead of the mix with distilled water, which caused problems with the head and lead to corrosion and coolant leakage into the cylinders and then additional corrosion. Apparently the proper mix of coolant exacerbated things quickly.

He'll be getting *new* heads and pistons. Plus, in the course of the diagnosis, they put on a whole new electronics suite. So basically he's coming out with brand new top end and new electronics. $10,000. All under warranty.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

It's a premium hand-built motorcycle, what can you expect?

Speaking of premium hand-built motorcycles: my brother's Multistrada 1200, which has left him stranded on the last day of two separate trips, has finally been diagnosed. He took it in for a scheduled coolant change and when it got it back it was nothing but trouble. The service department told him that there was a problem with some of those testastretta motors (including his) coming out of the factory with a 100% concentration of the coolant, instead of the mix with distilled water, which caused problems with the head and lead to corrosion and coolant leakage into the cylinders and then additional corrosion. Apparently the proper mix of coolant exacerbated things quickly.

He'll be getting *new* heads and pistons. Plus, in the course of the diagnosis, they put on a whole new electronics suite. So basically he's coming out with brand new top end and new electronics. $10,000. All under warranty.

Hi5 cross country buell buddy. I am starting a bit behind though, I am going to do it on a lighting long, so I need to find a windshield to go with the new givi hard bags I just got.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I take my windshield off for long trips; clean wind all over is less tiring than a choppy blast right at my neck. I end up covered in bugs either way.

What Givi setup did you go with?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I take my windshield off for long trips; clean wind all over is less tiring than a choppy blast right at my neck. I end up covered in bugs either way.

What Givi setup did you go with?

I just got a pair of the small monokey bags, but since there is no racks for the Ss model, I am going to have someone weld together some bits to attach it to.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My bro has a monokey setup on his Multi. They'll do 140mph :) (when the Duc runs)

Uly: I dialed in the timing. Took about 5 seconds. Buttoned it back up except I didn't put the Jardine back on. Instead, I took it home. I am "polishing the harley". Seriously, I bought a tube of metal restorer because a dose of oven cleaner ruined the aluminum. Test patch looks positive; I can see myself in it, and I look fabulous.

The little pipe is lightweight, probably 5lb lighter than stock based on a completely subjective estimation. No wonder I have hearing damage.

e: I can tell the PO was a retard. In addition to the blue RTV caked all over the battery to save it from shorting over the terminal when his loose tools hit them, when you take off the timing cover for the first time, you drill out rivets... I found an old rivet under the new cover.

At least he replaced the stock cover with a cool Pegasus logo Buell doodad.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 14, 2013

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What did the wind do to my bike today?

This :argh:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Getting the Ulysses prepped for my cross-country trip in June starts... yesterday. Got it up off the ground and checked the static timing. To check it you're supposed bump the crank past TDC via the rear wheel with the gearbox in 5th while simultaneously watching the diagnostic software for when the voltage switches over and the mark on the crank for when it hits exactly center of the timing hole.

I ended up sitting about 4 feet from the bike with floodlights shining all over the timing hole, with the laptop next to it, looking at both through a low power spotting scope so I could see both at the same time - while I had a friend bump the wheel. Turned out to be pretty far advanced. That explains why it engine brakes so much harder than my friend's Ulysses, I guess. Going to have to adjust the CAS back a bit before proceeding with the ECM remapping.

When/why should you check the timing?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not sure what the interval is, but I am preparing to set the TPS and put new fuel/spark maps on the Uly so I can turn the learn mode back on, and I wanted to make sure the static timing was set correctly first. Had a suspicion it was set advanced, and I don't want to end up with a hole in a piston in the middle of New Mexico, so I'm happy I checked.

e: I finished polishing my pipe. It looks about as good as when I got it, no longer ruined by oven cleaner. Good enough for me!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 15, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Painted the frame! Sorry, no more welds :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Gave the Buell a bath, shook down the timing. Bike feels better at low rpm, pulls clean right from 2k.

Then I backed up the dyno maps, put on the race maps, and set the TPS; unlike the dyno map, the race map is tuned to work with the narrow-band O2 sensor and allows the bike to adjust for altitude. Now I have a Rockies-capable Buell. I also had to re-set a bunch of ECM feature bits to turn on closed loop and closed loop learn. I am hoping I don't get the engine light every time the bike is fully warm anymore.

Assuming it all went ok (I haven't shaken down the race map and let the ECM figure out the AFV) this puts me two oil changes away from ready. I feel way better than last year when I was scrambling to diagnose fuel pump wiring 2 weeks before Sturgis.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Took my Ducati charging system apart today. Discovered the spacer behind the rotor wasn't retrofitted with the recall item from years back to fix a problem with inadequate oil flow on the stator, leading to fried stators. That's what happened to mine last fall after a long ride. It should look like the top one but instead it's the bottom one. So that's good news, I have an explanation for the charging system making GBS threads itself and I can fix it, instead of just hoping it doesn't poo poo itself again on the next ironbutt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Bought this for the Street Triple:

The rear shock is easily the worst part of the bike, and this is a bike that has a lot of compromises for price reasons. The '09+ CBR600RR shock is a huge upgrade that fits with just a couple shims--I guess I'll get Race Tech bits for the front next. The stock shock is preload-adjustable only, and this is a better part than the Daytona shock at only $60 shipped.

Wish I could find some forks and front calipers for cheap...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Quote, edit, what's the difference?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What's the go with ride height on the CBR Shock?
If I put one on my Daytona will I have to buy a new spring or something?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

What's the go with ride height on the CBR Shock?
If I put one on my Daytona will I have to buy a new spring or something?

Stock height. How much do you weigh?

wallaka posted:

Bought this for the Street Triple:

The rear shock is easily the worst part of the bike, and this is a bike that has a lot of compromises for price reasons. The '09+ CBR600RR shock is a huge upgrade that fits with just a couple shims--I guess I'll get Race Tech bits for the front next. The stock shock is preload-adjustable only, and this is a better part than the Daytona shock at only $60 shipped.

Wish I could find some forks and front calipers for cheap...

Sup 600RR rear shock Triumph buddy. Calipers... R6... Forks... 03-04 ZX6R...

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 17, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Sup 600RR rear shock Triumph buddy. Calipers... R6... Forks... 03-04 ZX6R...

Hmmm...that would certainly be less work than making all the tools I need to do the Race Tech stuff. Are those radial calipers? Will I need a new master cylinder?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup. Luckily the stock R6 master is a pretty decent Brembo unit.
Upon checking into more than just the 675 cross compatibility list the ZX6R forks are more involved than swapping the lowers; looks like you have to wait on a set of 675 forks. :( Sorry! The R6 calipers require a spacer that TWFRacing sells. I might actually be interested in selling my complete 675 front brake setup.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 17, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Stock height. How much do you weigh?

70 Kilos, so either way I probably need a new spring anyway.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Yup. Luckily the stock R6 master is a pretty decent Brembo unit.
Upon checking into more than just the 675 cross compatibility list the ZX6R forks are more involved than swapping the lowers; looks like you have to wait on a set of 675 forks. :( Sorry! The R6 calipers require a spacer that TWFRacing sells. I might actually be interested in selling my complete 675 front brake setup.

I'd be interested in the forks and all, but the brakes alone won't bolt up to my stuff, I don't think. What year Daytona do you have?

drat they want a fortune for D675 forks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not the ride itself, but for the ride: I bought an air-powered die grinder (cheap cheap, go harbor freight) and a bunch of mild abrasive wheels and scotchbrite discs to clean up the engine cases and cooling fins, which I was never really able to get deeply into before now. I've got a feeling that this small, lightweight die grinder spinning far beyond the rated speed of the abrasive wheels should be hella fun to play with. Eye protection definitely required.

Still need to buy some more paint thinner and acetone to dissolve off the layers of caked oily grime and degrease the surfaces, though. Soon.