Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can I buy Paris Visite passes in St. Pancras station? We're only going to be in Paris for the day and I want to get the single day without having to go to the ticket machines in Gare du Nord if I can (no credit cards with "the chip").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

The Antipop posted:

Can I buy Paris Visite passes in St. Pancras station? We're only going to be in Paris for the day and I want to get the single day without having to go to the ticket machines in Gare du Nord if I can (no credit cards with "the chip").

You can definitely buy a carnet on the Eurostar at the buffet. That's 15 euros or so for 10 single journeys which you can share between more than one person - it might well be cheaper anyway and you avoid the queues.

speakerbeeker
Apr 7, 2009
I will be in Krakow for a while this Summer and wanted to travel around while I was there. Does anyone have any good resources for booking train tickets like from Krakow to Budapest? I haven't looked in depth yet, I figured I'd ask and see if anyone knows of anything good first.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

speakerbeeker posted:

I will be in Krakow for a while this Summer and wanted to travel around while I was there. Does anyone have any good resources for booking train tickets like from Krakow to Budapest? I haven't looked in depth yet, I figured I'd ask and see if anyone knows of anything good first.

It'll be pretty easy to just go up to the ticket office and ask them for the best ticket. If you buy in advance it's usually cheaper, although Budapest to Krakow will probably be dirt cheap anyway so unless you care about saving €5 you could just buy day-of and have the convenience of no schedule.

Honestly I use the German website (https://www.bahn.de) for looking up schedules anywhere in Europe -- they have full schedules even if the train does not connect or go through Germany at all. You have to go the national carrier website to actually buy the ticket, but bahn.de will most likely be much easier to use than Poland Rail's website.

Often if you go in person to a ticket office they will sell you a better rate than the tickets purchased online, but again you have to do it well in advance. Not all countries give discounts (see: Switzerland).

speakerbeeker
Apr 7, 2009

Saladman posted:

It'll be pretty easy to just go up to the ticket office and ask them for the best ticket. If you buy in advance it's usually cheaper, although Budapest to Krakow will probably be dirt cheap anyway so unless you care about saving €5 you could just buy day-of and have the convenience of no schedule.

Honestly I use the German website (https://www.bahn.de) for looking up schedules anywhere in Europe -- they have full schedules even if the train does not connect or go through Germany at all. You have to go the national carrier website to actually buy the ticket, but bahn.de will most likely be much easier to use than Poland Rail's website.

Often if you go in person to a ticket office they will sell you a better rate than the tickets purchased online, but again you have to do it well in advance. Not all countries give discounts (see: Switzerland).

Awesome, thanks! I'll be in Poland for four weeks traveling around and hanging out with family there for the most part. I start a language program in Jordan on June 23rd so between June 3 and June 23 I'm just kind of hanging out in Eastern/Central Europe. I was thinking Krakow to Budapest-->Bratislava (for a day or 2)-->Prague then off to Amman. If anyone has any fun ideas that haven't been mentioned let me know.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

speakerbeeker posted:

Awesome, thanks! I'll be in Poland for four weeks traveling around and hanging out with family there for the most part. I start a language program in Jordan on June 23rd so between June 3 and June 23 I'm just kind of hanging out in Eastern/Central Europe. I was thinking Krakow to Budapest-->Bratislava (for a day or 2)-->Prague then off to Amman. If anyone has any fun ideas that haven't been mentioned let me know.

In Jordan, eh? Looks like I fly in there the day you leave. You might be able to help me out (assuming you've been there before): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537926

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I'm planning on going to Scotland for 2 weeks from 8/3 to 8/17 and I could use some advice. Nothing has been bought/booked yet.

So far my preliminary plan is to fly into Edinburgh and stay there for about a week. I'm looking at living out of a backpack and staying in hostels. Then I'm going to see Runrig on 8/10 and from there; I'm not sure. Here's my general outline:

Non-negotiable:
See Runrig’s on 8/10
Tour The Glenlivet Distillery
Tour/walk around Loch Lomond
Hike up Aurthurs Seat

Other things I want to do/see:
More distilleries
The Real Mary King Close
The Scott Memorial
Edinburgh's Castle
The Wallace Monument

Possibilities/Depending on time:
Stewart Lee @ the Edinburgh Festival (Dates?)
Skye Isle
Hadrian's wall

What else should I see/do while I'm there and how hard is it to get around the country? I won't be driving, but I figure I can at least get to the big cities by public transport or cabs. Is getting to the Northern Isles possible in this time? How much time should I budget for traveling from Edinburgh?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Commodore 64 posted:

I'm planning on going to Scotland for 2 weeks from 8/3 to 8/17 and I could use some advice. Nothing has been bought/booked yet.

So far my preliminary plan is to fly into Edinburgh and stay there for about a week. I'm looking at living out of a backpack and staying in hostels.

OK, let's stop right here. If you want to be in Edinburgh that week, you need to arrange your accommodation pretty much right now. It's the first week of the Fringe Festival you are planning on visiting, and places will be filling up already. Everything else about your two weeks flows from this. I take it Runrig are playing in Edinburgh on the 10th?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Commodore 64 posted:

So far my preliminary plan is to fly into Edinburgh and stay there for about a week. I'm looking at living out of a backpack and staying in hostels. Then I'm going to see Runrig on 8/10 and from there; I'm not sure. Here's my general outline:

Non-negotiable:
See Runrig’s on 8/10
Tour The Glenlivet Distillery
Tour/walk around Loch Lomond
Hike up Aurthurs Seat

Other things I want to do/see:
More distilleries
The Real Mary King Close
The Scott Memorial
Edinburgh's Castle
The Wallace Monument

Possibilities/Depending on time:
Stewart Lee @ the Edinburgh Festival (Dates?)
Skye Isle
Hadrian's wall

What else should I see/do while I'm there and how hard is it to get around the country? I won't be driving, but I figure I can at least get to the big cities by public transport or cabs. Is getting to the Northern Isles possible in this time? How much time should I budget for traveling from Edinburgh?

Watch Rick Steves videos on Scotland and Edinburgh. Also cadenheads on the royal mile is a great shop if you want serious scotch tastings. Mention Rick, ask for some help picking out some bottles and enjoy the buzz. I liked "Mary's close" even though it could be cheesy. It's this city under the city. The castle is neat and also Holyrood palace. I enjoyed the scottish history museum loads -get the tour! There's a lot to do there. Hope you dig it, I loved it there.

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 16, 2013

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rick Steves seems like such a nice guy.

Aimee
Jan 2, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Zagreb is walkable and also has a good public transport system. Not sure what are you going to do for a whole month... You'll probably want to take trips to the coast or Plitvice lakes, which you can do by bus or train.

You can't go wrong with the coast. The inside of Istra peninsula is known for great food and trekking. For a much less popular option, you can tour the castles of Hrvatsko Zagorje - region north of Zagreb. Many of them are poorly maintained or even deserted so you can have an authentic haunted castle experience. Check out this page.

BTW, here's a blog by an American expat in Croatia. It's funny and insightful and getting quite popular here.

Oh man. I forgot I even posted in this thread. Yikes. I'm going there just to live. I work remotely/from home so I sometimes just pack up and call somewhere else home for a while. Not really going for touristy sight-seeing... just embracing the culture, maybe I'll get sick of Zagreb sooner though, haha... especially since it seems like it's still kind of snowy there in late March. Awesome haunted castle though.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Aimee posted:

Oh man. I forgot I even posted in this thread. Yikes. I'm going there just to live. I work remotely/from home so I sometimes just pack up and call somewhere else home for a while. Not really going for touristy sight-seeing... just embracing the culture, maybe I'll get sick of Zagreb sooner though, haha... especially since it seems like it's still kind of snowy there in late March. Awesome haunted castle though.

Snow in late March is rare. According to weather reports, "true spring" will begin next week. If you're up for a drink or need specific help/advice, you can PM me. I've never seen a goon IRL. :ohdear:

HexagonalSun
Mar 2, 2013

NUKE THE SWISS
I have an itinerary to set up for a short Eurotrip with myself and my two brothers this summer/fall. I'll be arriving in Paris on the 1st of September and departing from the same on the 19th. I know I would like to visit Poland, specifically Krakow and the surroundings, Amsterdam, and Barcelona. We plan on mostly bumming it with backpacks for the duration of the trip and I was looking for some advice on travel and lodgings.

Any help on what kind of expenses we would have (we plan on having 50 euros/day budgeted, I imagine this will be a lot but I'm unsure) would be greatly appreciated as well!

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
50 euros is too low. You can sleep in backpacker dorms for 30 euros but those places may not always be available and 20 euros for travel/food/admission isn't going to cut it anywhere except _maybe_ Krakow but then you aren't visiting Auschwitz. You should have 100 euros available per day. If you have leftover money at the end of the holiday then you can be happy and leave it in your bank account but running out of cash in the middle of a trip is never fun.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HexagonalSun posted:

I have an itinerary to set up for a short Eurotrip with myself and my two brothers this summer/fall. I'll be arriving in Paris on the 1st of September and departing from the same on the 19th. I know I would like to visit Poland, specifically Krakow and the surroundings, Amsterdam, and Barcelona. We plan on mostly bumming it with backpacks for the duration of the trip and I was looking for some advice on travel and lodgings.

Any help on what kind of expenses we would have (we plan on having 50 euros/day budgeted, I imagine this will be a lot but I'm unsure) would be greatly appreciated as well!

Is that 50 Euros per person, per day INCLUDING lodging? Because if so, you're going to be really stretching it to the point of impossibility. Hell, even if you aren't including lodging in that, 50 Euros/day isn't "a lot" by any stretch of the imagination. Entrance to the Louvre, for example, is 10E (I'm assuming you don't have an EU passport and aren't under 26), the Eiffel tower is like 13 Euros IIRC to get to the top, and food isn't cheap (except boulangeries in France, eat at all the boulangeries).

Poland is cheaper, you can get a good restaurant meal for like $10 or so, so your E50 will go farther there than in the other cities you mentioned, at least.

Basically, with the amount of time you have and the distance between the cities you want to go to, I'd go Paris ->Amsterdam by train, Amsterdam -> Krakow by plane, Krakow -> Barcelona by plane and then Barcelona -> Paris by plane.

I personally think you're trying to do too much. Maybe skip Barcelona and save it for another trip, focus on having an awesome time in Paris, Amsterdam and Krakow.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Planning a trip with some friends, tentatively looking at this summer. We originally wanted to do the spring when it would have been cheaper but it was tough to organize and now we're looking at paying a lot more. Oh well. Just need to make sure it's money well spent.

Our leading European option is looking like a combo Spain/Morocco trip. We're thinking something like a few days in Barcelona, a few days in another city, and then another few days in Morocco. Something like 10 total. Biting off too much or doable? Suggestions on where we should go other than Barcelona? It's going to be 4-6 guys, late 20s/early 30s. We're trying to get a mix of partying, beach/relaxing, sightseeing, and something a little off the beaten path.

I feel like a read a really great description of a trip to Morocco on the forums once but have no idea where it went.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

HexagonalSun posted:

What HookShot said applies if you want to eat in better places or intend to do something particularly expensive. If you're staying in hostels and eating cheaply, 50€ can definitely be enough, even in Paris or Amsterdam. He's right about some attractions being quite expensive by backpacker standards (e.g. Louvre), but since for places like that it would be unlikely that you would visit many of them per day, it shouldn't be a problem.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Planning a trip with some friends, tentatively looking at this summer. We originally wanted to do the spring when it would have been cheaper but it was tough to organize and now we're looking at paying a lot more. Oh well. Just need to make sure it's money well spent.

Our leading European option is looking like a combo Spain/Morocco trip. We're thinking something like a few days in Barcelona, a few days in another city, and then another few days in Morocco. Something like 10 total. Biting off too much or doable? Suggestions on where we should go other than Barcelona? It's going to be 4-6 guys, late 20s/early 30s. We're trying to get a mix of partying, beach/relaxing, sightseeing, and something a little off the beaten path.

I feel like a read a really great description of a trip to Morocco on the forums once but have no idea where it went.

For a 10 day trip, I would personally not add a third city, but if you want to, the Balearic Island are nearby and would definitely provide additional opportunities for beaches, partying and (to varying degrees, depending on the island) sightseeing if you're ok with huge crowds of tourists. Depending on what you're interested in, the rest of Spain is of course near, but if you focus on beaches and nightlife, Barcelona is as good as it gets.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HexagonalSun posted:

This places are all kind of far from each other and make an enormous circle: Amsterdam to Paris will be a 5-6 hour train trip, Amsterdam to Krakow an overnight 12 hour train (or a ~4 hour flight including check in times and getting to/from the airports; train stations are in city centers and don't require getting there ahead of time), and Krakow to Barcelona a ~5 hour flight including checkin/travel time, then another ~4 hour flight to Paris. These transits will also be relatively pricey given your budget, like €60-80pp minimum. You have enough time to do all of those cities, but it sounds like a pretty tiring amount of transit to me, especially since you have to get back to Paris on the 19th.

Unless you think you won't be back to Europe soon/ever and really want to hit up those places, you might consider a more 'local' tour, e.g. Paris / Brussels-area / London / Amsterdam

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oh, and one thing about visiting multiple cities. If you intend to fly, book your flights as soon as possible. Cheap airlines like easyjet are only cheap if you book early, so you might want to decide your itinerary soon. Same thing goes for trains, but nowhere near to the same extent, and if you want a looser plan trains might be cheaper than flying.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Waci posted:

Oh, and one thing about visiting multiple cities. If you intend to fly, book your flights as soon as possible. Cheap airlines like easyjet are only cheap if you book early, so you might want to decide your itinerary soon. Same thing goes for trains, but nowhere near to the same extent, and if you want a looser plan trains might be cheaper than flying.

Also absolutely do not fly Ryanair. For example, its "Paris" airports are 60 miles (Beauvais) and 100 miles (Vatry) away from Paris, respectively.

E: EasyJet is pretty solid. I've flown them dozens of times and only had them try and dick me with my suitcase once, but I was able to complain until they let me on using it as a carryon. Just make sure you print your boarding passes beforehand. WizzAir is decent too.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 18, 2013

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
If your budget is that low, just take the bus (megabus, eurolines) between Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam. It's really cheap and really sucks, but you'll safe money for things that matter. Don't do this to Krakow though, that's really far. Have you considered Berlin? Maybe Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow is a more feasible roundtrip.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Okay, I've nailed down some parts of my trip and I'm trying to figure out how much I can wing the rest of it.

I'm flying from Venice to BCN on 3/31 (after a week in Italy that's already planned). I haven't booked any hostels in Barcelona yet, but will probably get something near the historic center. I was thinking of spending 5-7 days in Barcelona before going to Paris for another 5-7 days. I must get to Cologne (actually Nurburg) by the evening of 3/13.

Any suggestions on what I should do with this trip? Less days in Barcelona? Go to Madrid maybe? Take a train from Spain to Paris, maybe stopping a night or two along the way? Or just Easyjet straight to Paris from Barcelona? Is 5 days too short for Paris? is 7 days reasonable? I'll be travelling alone and hoping to meet some folks in hostels.

Also, I was thinking of packing 1 carry-on size rollaboard (and checking it) and 1 medium sized backpack. I figured since I'm not moving every single day, it's okay to bring the suitcase. I might be able to really cut down and do the one-bag thing, but not sure if it's worth the trouble. I don't want to spend a lot of time carrying weight on my back since I have injured it in the past.

Suggestions on how to make the most awesome trip? I'm not that concerned about the day-to-day budget, but I appreciate value.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Hog Obituary posted:

Any suggestions on what I should do with this trip? Less days in Barcelona? Go to Madrid maybe?
Depends on what you're interested in, but Barcelona is easily large enough to not get boring in 5 days even if you're not particularly interested in the place's history. I don't think I've met anyone who liked Madrid more than Barcelona, but if there's something there you particularly want to see, it's by no means a dreadful place.

quote:

Is 5 days too short for Paris? is 7 days reasonable? I'll be travelling alone and hoping to meet some folks in hostels.
Five days is not enough to see everything worth seeing in Paris, but you can still see a lot. If you just want to see the big obvious sights like Eiffel Tower and Louvre, 5 days would probably be enough to cover that.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
In a Europe trip that included 9 cities, Barcelona was by far my favorite, so anyone considering it, I would drop other cities from your itinerary before dropping Barcelona. Just go there.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Freaking 2 days until 2 weeks in Lisbon/Madrid and I can't wait...

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
50E/day was my capped budget. You can definitely do it. I stayed closer to 20E/day most of the time, including in Paris and Amsterdam, and only went over for specific expensive tickets and sometimes buying restaurant food and/or too much booze in clubs.

That said I was couchsurfing, walking everywhere, mostly cooking for myself and often skipping things that were too expensive (like going inside the Eiffel Tower) and using student discounts constantly. If you're staying in hostels you should budget at least 70E unless you're very good at pinching pennies, because factoring in accommodation you're likely to be hitting 50/day each as an average, not a high edge.

It's sort of a pointless exercise to try and factor airfare and long-distance travel costs into a per diem. Try and think of those funds separately while you're budgeting. In fact since it's a short trip you'd be well-advised to figure out the general price range of the kind of hostel you're looking for and account for that separately, too. All the money can come from the same account or whatever, that's fine. But if you've never done something as financially complicated and guesswork-filled as backpacking, it's very easy to be totally, hilariously wrong about what kind of budget you'll actually need, and the more you can itemize specific costs in advance the more accurate your budget will be.

I'd budget 75-80E/day as a general rule and then aim to actually spend under 50. (Or budget 50/aim under 30 if you're couchsurfing.)

duralict fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2013

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Waci posted:

Five days is not enough to see everything worth seeing in Paris, but you can still see a lot. If you just want to see the big obvious sights like Eiffel Tower and Louvre, 5 days would probably be enough to cover that.

I will be going to Paris at the end of May for a week actually. What are things you would say are worth seeing that can take up that much time (aside from art galleries, not a huge fan)?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I would say that Louvre and Versailles are both worth seeing, and both take a full day (assuming you skip the paintings and decorative arts parts of Louvre). The Eiffel Tower, Arc de Thriomphe, Pantheon, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapel, Palais Garnier, Conciergerie, Sacré-Coeur Basilica et cetera add another one or two days, depending on what you're interested in, how much time you spend at each, and whether you do anything else that day. This leaves a large number of museums and art galleries of various sizes and qualities, and any activities I wouldn't necessarily consider sight-seeing or the first two things I mentioned, whether those activities are shopping, a walk in the latin quarter, a tour of the catacombs or a picnic in Bois de Boulogne.

HexagonalSun
Mar 2, 2013

NUKE THE SWISS

duralict posted:

50E/day was my capped budget. You can definitely do it. I stayed closer to 20E/day most of the time, including in Paris and Amsterdam, and only went over for specific expensive tickets and sometimes buying restaurant food and/or too much booze in clubs.

That said I was couchsurfing, walking everywhere, mostly cooking for myself and often skipping things that were too expensive (like going inside the Eiffel Tower) and using student discounts constantly. If you're staying in hostels you should budget at least 70E unless you're very good at pinching pennies, because factoring in accommodation you're likely to be hitting 50/day each as an average, not a high edge.

It's sort of a pointless exercise to try and factor airfare and long-distance travel costs into a per diem. Try and think of those funds separately while you're budgeting. In fact since it's a short trip you'd be well-advised to figure out the general price range of the kind of hostel you're looking for and account for that separately, too. All the money can come from the same account or whatever, that's fine. But if you've never done something as financially complicated and guesswork-filled as backpacking, it's very easy to be totally, hilariously wrong about what kind of budget you'll actually need, and the more you can itemize specific costs in advance the more accurate your budget will be.

I'd budget 75-80E/day as a general rule and then aim to actually spend under 50. (Or budget 50/aim under 30 if you're couchsurfing.)

I have airfair and associated travel expenses budgeted separately from our daily expenses, and we will be couchsurfing for much of our stay in Poland / Krakow. I've never really backpacked through urban areas before, but I figure if we eat and stay with friends and family as much as possible 50 euros should be enough.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm currently on the fence to trade Amsterdam for Barcelona and spread out my days in one or the other. What are the relative advantages of both?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Waci posted:

I would say that Louvre and Versailles are both worth seeing, and both take a full day (assuming you skip the paintings and decorative arts parts of Louvre). The Eiffel Tower, Arc de Thriomphe, Pantheon, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapel, Palais Garnier, Conciergerie, Sacré-Coeur Basilica et cetera add another one or two days, depending on what you're interested in, how much time you spend at each, and whether you do anything else that day. This leaves a large number of museums and art galleries of various sizes and qualities, and any activities I wouldn't necessarily consider sight-seeing or the first two things I mentioned, whether those activities are shopping, a walk in the latin quarter, a tour of the catacombs or a picnic in Bois de Boulogne.

I definitely like the sound of the less touristy/sight-seeing type of activities so if you had any more suggestions or tips on those that would be great. :)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Kase Im Licht posted:

I wouldn't recommend going to Morocco for less than a couple of days - Tangier is where you'll end up if you just go straight across from Spain, and it's sort of all of the bad aspects of Morocco with very few of the good aspects. If you can head out to Fez, I would consider Morocco worth visiting, for sure. Just be prepared for a much larger culture shock and an entirely different vibe from the rest of your Europe trip. Here's where we went, with some thoughts:

1. Fez - The medina is as ridiculous as the tour books say. Venice doesn't have anything on Fez in regards to getting lost in a city. The whole place feels like something out of a movie, it's really fairly incredible. The tanneries are a cool sight to see. Also, I would really recommend finding a guide, and getting them to show you around. It's a little sketchy, they're quite clearly getting paid off by the various shops they take you to, and it's important to haggle a price up front, but it's WAY more stressful than to be constantly harassed by other guides trying to lead you somewhere throughout the old city. If I had to choose between Marrakech and Fez, I'd probably choose Marrakech, but Fez is a bit more accessible from Tangier.

2. Marrakech - The medina, while not quite as ridiculous as Fez, is still a pretty amazing sight, and it has much more of a "market" vibe here than in Fez. It also has a few more modern conveniences - having something like a pizza place in the medina in Fez would be unthinkable, but it's normal in Marrakech. It's also a bit more tourist friendly - you don't have to haggle quite as aggressively, and you don't feel like you're as much of an odd person out (In Fez, you'd see maybe 2-3 other groups of tourists a day, in Marrakech they outnumber the locals). The Jamaa el Fna (the central square) is amazing. During the days you can buy trinkets and odd things, watch storytellers (in Arabic), see monkeys and snakes, and get the best orange juice you've ever tasted. At night the entire square is filled with restaurants that have cheap and amazingly good food (Mostly standard Moroccan fare, a few interesting delicacies like sheep's heads, and a really good cinnamon tea)

3. Merzouga - This place is remote. Like, really, incredibly remote. It's basically about 6-7 hotels backing straight onto the Sahara. Most of the hotels are semi-all-inclusive, meaning that your cheap room (20 euros a night for us) includes a really nice Moroccan breakfast and dinner, with an option to purchase a cheap lunch. It's really relaxing, a good place to unwind halfway through a hectic trip. You can also do a really cheap excursion where you head out into the Sahara on a camel, and stay the night in a Berber tent. The only downside is that the remoteness - you really need to budget a full day just to get down here and back.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

enki42 posted:

I wouldn't recommend going to Morocco for less than a couple of days - Tangier is where you'll end up

No, you get a cab and take it an hour south to Asilah. You can absolutely do a few days in Morocco, but Tangier is a shithole and you want to get a cab to take you to Asilah.

That said, the ferry schedules seemed "flexible" so keep in mind what you might think will be a 3 hour ferry ride could easily be a 3 hour ferry ride plus 2 hours at port. We almost missed our bus back from Algeciras to Marbella because of it.

Let me stress this again. Get a cab and go an hour south to Asilah. It's beautiful.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

TheLizard posted:

No, you get a cab and take it an hour south to Asilah. You can absolutely do a few days in Morocco, but Tangier is a shithole and you want to get a cab to take you to Asilah.

Let me stress this again. Get a cab and go an hour south to Asilah. It's beautiful.

I haven't been to Asilah, but yeah, don't visit Tangier except as a transit point is something that can't be emphasized enough.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

TheHoodedClaw posted:

OK, let's stop right here. If you want to be in Edinburgh that week, you need to arrange your accommodation pretty much right now. It's the first week of the Fringe Festival you are planning on visiting, and places will be filling up already. Everything else about your two weeks flows from this. I take it Runrig are playing in Edinburgh on the 10th?

They're playing at the Black Isle Showgrounds and they have tickets packages that include travel to/from pretty much anywhere in Scotland. I've been looking at Edinburgh since that's the big city (no offense to Glasgow) and everything happens there.

What's concerning me is I don't don't how long it takes to get around the country. I know Google Maps says one thing, but I don't know what the roads/traffic/locals/etc are like. Since Edinburgh will be so crazy that week; should I look at staying in Glasgow and going to Edinburgh when I want to?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

greazeball posted:

Get a fondue at Bains de Paquis. It's a really low-key, minimal service (you order at the counter and they wander through the dining room and shout your name about 10 minutes later) "restaurant," but the fondue is drat good and it's cheap. It's also good for lunch, but they just have one set meal per day. Again, it's dirt cheap (by Swiss standards) at lunch time.

I actually did this and it owned, so thanks very much! Geneva was lovely, even if it was suprisingly expensive - coming from Singapore, this was a major shock to me, as I'd expected similar price levels. Thanks for the suggestions all, I didn't actually get much time to myself because of work, but I'll be back in a month or two - so if any of you actually live there, lets meet up for a brew on me.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kru posted:

I actually did this and it owned, so thanks very much! Geneva was lovely, even if it was suprisingly expensive - coming from Singapore, this was a major shock to me, as I'd expected similar price levels. Thanks for the suggestions all, I didn't actually get much time to myself because of work, but I'll be back in a month or two - so if any of you actually live there, lets meet up for a brew on me.

Glad you liked it! I'm in Bern now, fancy an expensive train ride? (Bern is actually really nice though)

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

kru posted:

If you're in the mood for more Swiss food Cafe Bourg-de-Four has great Rostis (Very similar to hash-browns but cook slightly differently and usually topped with cheese or eggs or something) and on the same street Cafe Navy Bar has very good Raclette (Melted cheese you spread on potatoes)

I'd be down for drinks depending on the exact timing

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

If you're in the mood for more Swiss food Cafe Bourg-de-Four has great Rostis (Very similar to hash-browns but cook slightly differently and usually topped with cheese or eggs or something) and on the same street Cafe Navy Bar has very good Raclette (Melted cheese you spread on potatoes)

Swiss goonmeet? I might be down. The body odor will be covered by the smell of the raclette.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Speaking of which, there's an excellent raclette place in the Bastille neighborhood of Paris that a local I made friends with recommended. Really good. http://www.chalet-savoyard.fr/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Geizkragen posted:

Swiss goonmeet? I might be down. The body odor will be covered by the smell of the raclette.

I will eat a raclette any time and any place. You'll only have to put up with one or two jokes about cutting the cheese, I swear.