Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dantes posted:

Is it because you want to make sure you don't see any spoilers or because you didn't know there is a button to mark a specific post as your last read ?

I know there is a button that marks last read, but that means I have to read the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
That whole 2 hours was fantastic!

To further what happened on the last page, my wife said "I expect the Stig to be standing at the end pissing into the river."

Great news! No, it's not the Dacia Sandero, but Jeremy said that they'll be back in the summer. Can we expect them to return around Fathers day like usual?

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/310858978970173441

GTi_guy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 11, 2013

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I'm glad to see James actually win, it was an intense foot race I suppose. Great special, and nice to see they will be back soonish.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pardon the switch from the Nile discussion, but there's sporadic talk about US Top Gear here so it seems it's the right place to ask-- how is that show nowadays? Saw a couple episodes of the first season and thought they were total rear end, but they're still making new episodes which means it's maybe not as lovely now?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ofaloaf posted:

Pardon the switch from the Nile discussion, but there's sporadic talk about US Top Gear here so it seems it's the right place to ask-- how is that show nowadays? Saw a couple episodes of the first season and thought they were total rear end, but they're still making new episodes which means it's maybe not as lovely now?

Depends entirely on whether or not you can stand to watch the hosts for more than 15 seconds.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Each episode is just one big series of challenges allowing the hosts to be silly and insult each other's cars. It's hilarious if you like that sort of thing and if the hosts don't grate on you (they don't bother me). If you are looking for car reviews or The News or SIARPC or something they don't do that anymore, which is good since they were terrible at them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GTi_guy posted:

Great news! No, it's not the Dacia Sandero, but Jeremy said that they'll be back in the summer. Can we expect them to return around Fathers day like usual?

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/310858978970173441
Wait I thought we were still expecting a delayed Christmas special.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wait I thought we were still expecting a delayed Christmas special.

Africa was the Christmas Special

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

twoot posted:

Africa was the Christmas Special
I see.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cakefool posted:

Yup, and repaired it on the side of an African dirt track well enough to beat on it to the finish. Support truck aside that's impressive.

haha, no i was just confused while watching it because British car language is a bit different. A makeshift welded control arm out of bits of the sway bar is pretty impressive indeed.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Foehammer007 posted:

I'm glad to see James actually win,
Yeah, I know - James May winning a race! There's one for the history books!

Foehammer007 posted:

it was an intense foot race I suppose.
Well yes, I suppose the only way James could win a car race was if the opposition was on foot.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

MechPlasma posted:

Yeah, I know - James May winning a race! There's one for the history books!

Well yes, I suppose the only way James could win a car race was if the opposition was on foot.

He even ran a bit!

Also, not entirely impossible. On Top Gear US, Tanner beat Adam in his Mustang II on foot.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I thought that was excellent. It doesn't quite reach the level of Vietnam, Botswana or Bolivia for me, but it's up there. The handbrake and the penalty car sinking as well as the credits all had me in stitches. I also laughed about "U ARSE", but that's probably because I'm still 12.
Really, the entire season was pretty good. It's nice to see them improving again after season 18.

nmfree posted:

Me four.
Me ... uh ... five? Or six? I don't know. Anyway, I expected a pee joke as well.

It's gone again. Wikipedia has no sense of humor. :saddowns:

Aztech
May 30, 2009

parrhesia posted:

It's gone again. Wikipedia has no sense of humor. :saddowns:

The edit request on the talk page is hilarious.

quote:

Can the whole "Top Gear" part of the article be removed? Top Gear is an entertainment show. It shouldn't be used as a source. The whole edit has no citations whatsoever, and is factually wrong on several occasions - most notably the whole "has to flow into a tidal area" part. The Mediterranean Sea is DEFINITELY tidal and the mouth of the Nile is DEFINITELY in Egypt, not Gibraltar.

Santesteband (talk) 00:57, 11 March 2013 (UTC)

-Also, it's grammatically incorrect ('it's' instead of 'its').

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

People on the Internet get mad over the dumbest poo poo.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
YOU CANT SLAM SPORTS CARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Definitely my favorite episode of the series. I loved that pose James did when his car made it off the raft immediately.

I'm also surprised that Hammond's car never burned down after all the time they spent focusing on the burner.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Drakkel posted:

I'm also surprised that Hammond's car never burned down after all the time they spent focusing on the burner.
I think that and the true source of the nile not actually being piss were intentional in-jokes.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Loved the TP rolls on the Subaru's wiper arms after the production crew used the hood scpoop.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Drakkel posted:

I loved that pose James did when his car made it off the raft immediately.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
Hey, question: Top Gear on Netflix. Does anyone have any idea on roughly how long it takes to go from the series finishing to the series actually being put up there?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MechPlasma posted:

Hey, question: Top Gear on Netflix. Does anyone have any idea on roughly how long it takes to go from the series finishing to the series actually being put up there?

I'm pretty sure it's a long time because I think the latest series up there is 17, and we're on 19 now. I think it has to come out on DVD in the states first.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure the support crew repaired Hammond's car and that welding was just for show. Serious disbelief right here.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Top Gear US is making cars to survive the apocalypse tonight. This should be interesting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a long time because I think the latest series up there is 17, and we're on 19 now. I think it has to come out on DVD in the states first.
Yeah it's about 18 months post air date, judging by when 17 went up.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

koollook124 posted:

Top Gear US is making cars to survive the apocalypse tonight. This should be interesting.

i haven't been able to really get into top gear us. obviously its hard to live up to the british original, but i really enjoyed the episode a few weeks back of them trying to hit 150mph. Rutledge's infiniti was really cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I've only just begun watching this show but so far I've watched the western U.S. road trip and the Africa special (and the part where he drove the Toyota GT86 because I'm about to buy one). I'm really enjoying it. All of the hosts are hilarious and the jokes they play on each other are great. Should I start the show from the very beginning or are there certain episodes I should really watch (I see a lot of people mentioning Vietnam)?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

koollook124 posted:

Can anybody do the Camry Magic Eye? I can almost get it but not quite.

Edit: oh god I hope it's what he says it is.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 13, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Daric posted:

I've only just begun watching this show but so far I've watched the western U.S. road trip and the Africa special (and the part where he drove the Toyota GT86 because I'm about to buy one). I'm really enjoying it. All of the hosts are hilarious and the jokes they play on each other are great. Should I start the show from the very beginning or are there certain episodes I should really watch (I see a lot of people mentioning Vietnam)?

The earliest episodes aren't as great (and the very earliest don't have May), but the middle series are definitely great all around. Check out the Wikipedia episode/challenge listings. Anything with cheap cars or Reliant Robins is usually excellent.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fivre posted:

The earliest episodes aren't as great (and the very earliest don't have May), but the middle series are definitely great all around. Check out the Wikipedia episode/challenge listings. Anything with cheap cars or Reliant Robins is usually excellent.

This man is wrong, watch every episode start to finish, have no regrets. :colbert:

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Electrocuting Tanner never gets old. :)

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The first season is ok, the second is better, and from about the third on it's my favorite show. You could probably skip straight to season 2 or 3 but there is some good stuff right from the start.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Koirhor posted:

Pretty sure the support crew repaired Hammond's car and that welding was just for show. Serious disbelief right here.
Yeah, most of these trips, they try hard to stick with the pretense that there's really just the 3 of them and the dude in the backup car with it merely implicit there's even a single cameraman, but this episode broke the 4th wall quite a bit with more obvious support from the massive crew than they normally let slip. The tires and parts were one bit, but the toilet gag made obvious just how big the production is and that they're not REALLY alone or camping.

Chekov's gun was left unfinished with Hammond's Subaru, too- no consequences for shitcanning his spare and it never once caught on fire.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The fact they acknowledged the production crew to me lead to more "organic" moments and a more natural feel to the show - when things did go wrong they REALLY went wrong despite the backup. There wasn't the usual scripted gags in the main - they were if anything actually giving a poo poo about what they were doing. You could see they were thinking about the usual gags like setting Hammond's car on fire but in the end they took a surprisingly competent turn and made a big effort to take a lot of this seriously.

And as they said, they were ambitious but actually not rubbish.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I think they were setting up for if they felt they "had" to pull some of those forced gags that have become sort of a Top Gear staple, but then enough entertainment just sort of happened naturally that they didn't "need" to fill some gaps. There were still a few obviously forced bits, but so few that I honestly can't remember any more about them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
On the whole I thought the Africa special was pretty great, but I felt a bit underwhelmed by part 2. The first part was absolutely fantastic though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wasn't the "Hammond" in the welding mask wearing a sidearm?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Data Graham posted:

Wasn't the "Hammond" in the welding mask wearing a sidearm?

No, that's a multitool.

Also, I actually believe that while the support mechanic probably did a good bit of work, Hammond actually did at least some of the real work on the car himself. Both he and May have taken up restoring old vehicles as a hobby, so they both will know at least something about doing basic repairs, welding, etc.

Or maybe the mechanic did all of the work and this was just a beauty shot. v:shobon:v

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I just want to know where in his kitchen he was hiding welding tools, a generator, a jack and a half dozen spare wheels. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

grover posted:

I just want to know where in his kitchen he was hiding welding tools, a generator, a jack and a half dozen spare wheels. :colbert:

Under the sink.