Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, well, he was born with that INT, not much he can do about that.

Is there any possible way that a fighter might be able to put it (and his other broad stats) to use? Besides situational checks like architecture on Thog's head.

The poorly formatted masterlist of misapplying stat bonuses!

Soooooo.... no, not easily. You can, but almost all of the ways which are any good (not great... good) are hidden inside of prestige classes. Take, for example, Insightful Dodge, which lets Roy substitute his int for his dex for reflex checks... even if they're 14 and 8 respectively, that's only a +3, one better than lightning reflexes, and dex is Roy's dump stat. Ironically, a feat that would let him add his int bonus to his reflex checks would be even less useful, because while his mental stats may be unusually high, he's not going to spend time, effort, and treasure boosting them over, say, strength.

Roy really should be collecting prestige classes like pogs. Or better yet, get his grubby mitts on a wish somehow and use it to turn all those useless levels from fighter into something thematically appropriate but mechanically robust, like Swordsage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mystic Mongol posted:

The poorly formatted masterlist of misapplying stat bonuses!

Soooooo.... no, not easily. You can, but almost all of the ways which are any good (not great... good) are hidden inside of prestige classes. Take, for example, Insightful Dodge, which lets Roy substitute his int for his dex for reflex checks... even if they're 14 and 8 respectively, that's only a +3, one better than lightning reflexes, and dex is Roy's dump stat. Ironically, a feat that would let him add his int bonus to his reflex checks would be even less useful, because while his mental stats may be unusually high, he's not going to spend time, effort, and treasure boosting them over, say, strength.

Roy really should be collecting prestige classes like pogs. Or better yet, get his grubby mitts on a wish somehow and use it to turn all those useless levels from fighter into something thematically appropriate but mechanically robust, like Swordsage.

That would be acknowledging his dad as right about fighters. I think he'd rather go undead to make his build work than change classes.

Topical.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I know Roy already made a crack about it in a bonus strip, but his stats would be perfect for a Warblade.

I don't know why ToB gets so much hate - as a person who likes playing Fighters, ToB was God's gift to melee players. I've only used it once - I played a Dwarven Warblade - and was instantly hooked after I bear-hugged a Drow to death with the Crushing Weight of the Mountain maneuver. It was the only time I ever played a fighter-type and felt like a goddamned physical powerhouse. You know, the way playing a Fighter should feel?

(Incidentally, the complaint that ToB was too "anime" got a reference in the Cliffport storyline when everyone kept ragging on the Rogue's Guild Fighter for calling his attacks.)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

terminal mehmet posted:

His Con probably isn't quite that high, especially at the beginning of the comic. He also has that belt of giant strength now, which definitely pushes him into the 20s on STR.

Really, I think the only places where he is "sub-optimal" to grognards is his Dex and that he wears medium armor over heavy. I assume the latter is for a better movement score.

Doesn't do that though, he's got a move speed of 20 either way in medium armor (which somewhat messes with the joke of them having to carry Durkon, since Durkon's move speed is identical to Roy's in 3.5e). Now, if it was mithral, then he'd have no speed penalties, but that's never been mentioned (though there may be a feat that does something similar). I assume Rich is just handwaving it somehow, because binding the characters to the rules exactly gets pretty silly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zonekeeper posted:

(Incidentally, the complaint that ToB was too "anime" got a reference in the Cliffport storyline when everyone kept ragging on the Rogue's Guild Fighter for calling his attacks.)

I think that was Greysky City, wasn't it? "It is true. I am a Chatty Cathy," is probably one of my favourite lines in the comic.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I think that was Greysky City, wasn't it? "It is true. I am a Chatty Cathy," is probably one of my favourite lines in the comic.

:doh: Got my cities mixed up, but yes, that's it.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, well, he was born with that INT, not much he can do about that.

Is there any possible way that a fighter might be able to put it (and his other broad stats) to use? Besides situational checks like architecture on Thog's head.

Whenever I play a Smart Guy Fighter, I try to pick up Knowledge Devotion. It's a feat from Complete Champion that gives you a bonus to attack and damage based on how well you can identify your opponent with a relevant Knowledge(whatever) check. It manages to stay relevant to the later levels without being completely busted in the early ones, which is nice.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Zonekeeper posted:

I know Roy already made a crack about it in a bonus strip, but his stats would be perfect for a Warblade.

I don't know why ToB gets so much hate - as a person who likes playing Fighters, ToB was God's gift to melee players. I've only used it once - I played a Dwarven Warblade - and was instantly hooked after I bear-hugged a Drow to death with the Crushing Weight of the Mountain maneuver. It was the only time I ever played a fighter-type and felt like a goddamned physical powerhouse. You know, the way playing a Fighter should feel?

This is one of the reasons I prefer 4e. Everyone gets to be a badass!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sefer posted:

In excruciating tactical detail.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
There should be a fighter feat where you get a combat bonus based on INT at the beginning of a fight as long as you have an extended rest beforehand to plan. They could just call it "Batman."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sefer posted:

Cabbit posted:

In excruciating tactical detail.

Shall we pretend we just had this argument and it was awesome then moved on with our lives?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Sefer posted:

Thank you for sharing about how you like a completely different game. Maybe you like Mario, as well?

I mean, it's like if some dude kept swooping in to discussions about 4th to tell you all about how GURPS magic clearly is more robust and balanced and therefore :goonsay:, except because both systems have "Dungeons Ampersand Dragons" in the name (despite being entirely different games) more people think it's okay to do this.

I don't have anything against 4e but good lord I am tired of edition war. It's been five fuckin' years, we've all developed our opinions by now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is why I prefer Hackmaster New Edition. No one is bad rear end, everyone sucks!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FATAL is the best, most comprehensive and realistic RPG system ever. I'm gonna roll for anal circumference now, motherfuckers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

FATAL is the best, most comprehensive and realistic RPG system ever. I'm gonna roll for anal circumference now, motherfuckers.

The Order of Whether the Stick Fits in Your rear end

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
There was actually a series of feats in the PHB2 that gave you bonuses based off WIS if you did some kind of in-combat meditation. The flavor was really cool for rewarding full BAB melees with good mental stats, but naturally the feats sucked because it's 3e.

Of course, the real answer is to play Iron Heroes, where every stat can be substituted for hit/damage. :getin:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

The Order of Whether the Stick Fits in Your rear end

I present exhibit A, Miko Myazaki, as further proof that FATAL is superior to D&D. Because only FATAL could express the exact size of the gigantic stick up her rear end.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My God, I forgot how wordy that arc was. I love OotS, but of all the complaints I hear about it, I really, really can't argue with sometimes "Rich is trying to write a book in comic form".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Colon V posted:

My God, I forgot how wordy that arc was. I love OotS, but of all the complaints I hear about it, I really, really can't argue with sometimes "Rich is trying to write a book in comic form".
My biggest gripe with the comic is how Rich shrunk the font size to compensate for the wordiness. It's now at the limit where it's still readable but some of the Comic Sans glyphs are getting blurry, and for me it isn't as easy to read quickly anymore.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

You don't roll for anal circumference, it's a derived stat.

:smithicide:

inthesto posted:

Of course, the real answer is to play Iron Heroes, where every stat can be substituted for hit/damage. :getin:

Iron Heroes has other enormous problems, central of which is that it experienced absolutely no playtesting.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 12, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mystic Mongol posted:

You don't roll for anal circumference, it's a derived stat.

:smithicide:

I thought it still had some element of randomne---why the gently caress am I still talking about this Jesus.

Anyway...

Colon V posted:

Agreed. He's gotten better, I feel! Most of the time. He's gotten better with the art so he has to spend less time explaining when he could be showing, that's for sure.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Colon V posted:

To be absolutely fair to those couple of pages, I get the feeling they were approaching critical word mass as contrast to the few panels where there were no words while Miko stabbed the poo poo out of her boss.

Trapezium Dave posted:

My biggest gripe with the comic is how Rich shrunk the font size to compensate for the wordiness. It's now at the limit where it's still readable but some of the Comic Sans glyphs are getting blurry, and for me it isn't as easy to read quickly anymore.

THAT'S what's so weird about the text in the early days, it's twice as big! poo poo, now it's a little annoying and I can't unsee it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

sebmojo posted:

Shall we pretend we just had this argument and it was awesome then moved on with our lives?

Eh, if it makes you feel better, I'm not suggesting 3.5E is much (if any) better! This is why I mostly stick to WW stuff lately.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Heatwizard posted:

THAT'S what's so weird about the text in the early days, it's twice as big! poo poo, now it's a little annoying and I can't unsee it.
There have been a couple of font size changes over the life at the comic. The really big text right at beginning didn't last too long, but if you flip back to the middle of the archive and compare to right now, it's gone down a point size. I've noticed for me it does make a difference - those middle archive comics are quick to read and take in, but I've got to slow down quite a bit to parse the recent ones.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

inthesto posted:

There was actually a series of feats in the PHB2 that gave you bonuses based off WIS if you did some kind of in-combat meditation. The flavor was really cool for rewarding full BAB melees with good mental stats, but naturally the feats sucked because it's 3e.

Risus is the only RPG system you will ever need, and the only one against which I have no complaints to raise :colbert: Though for the same reason, it wouldn't offer much opportunity for a webcomic to poke fun at it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Risus is the only RPG system you will ever need, and the only one against which I have no complaints to raise :colbert: Though for the same reason, it wouldn't offer much opportunity for a webcomic to poke fun at it.

A Rolemaster comic would just be strip after strip of people crushing each others skulls and bleeding to death and being impaled. It would be Tomb Raider: The Webcomic.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 12, 2013

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I just want a good Shadowrun webcomic. That system was easily the best and deserves a lot more attention than it ever got.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Brannock posted:

I just want a good Shadowrun webcomic. That system was easily the best and deserves a lot more attention than it ever got.

It's probably been mentioned in this thread already, but the official 4e D&D comic was actually very good - it was written by the guy who did the TV show Leverage (and wrote part of the Manual of the Planes, IIRC).

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, John Rogers. He also wrote the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle and Jackie Chan Adventures.

And it's a great comic that's far more about the world than anything to do with game mechanics, to the point where there's pretty much nothing mechanical involved (well, if you're familiar with the game, you might be able to recognize certain characters and creatures doing certain things, but it doesn't spell it out for you and there's nowhere near the pretend fidelity that other D&D-based RPG comics have).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's also pretty consistently hilarious.

Edit: I guess ImageShack won't play ball.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LightWarden posted:

Yeah, John Rogers. He also wrote the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle and Jackie Chan Adventures.

And invented (or popularised) the '27% crazification factor'.

Back on topic, my four year old daughter has latched onto the comics:

And, weirdly, so has my very-non-geeky wife. She's finished OtOoPCs, and is halfway through SoD.

Strange days.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 12, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really, really want to see a bonus arc where the OOTS protagonists are in the paranoia setting.

I can dream :allears:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I just caught up on the comic.

"Posthumously." Holy poo poo. "Posthumously."

How loving far in advance does Rich have this poo poo planned out?

My mind is BLOWN.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

razorrozar posted:

I just caught up on the comic.

"Posthumously." Holy poo poo. "Posthumously."

How loving far in advance does Rich have this poo poo planned out?

My mind is BLOWN.

Not sure about the details, but I'm sure the broad strokes have been planned from the start, and this is certainly one of them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think he planned out the whole arc once he got around fifty strips in. It's worth buying the books if you can, he goes into quite a lot of detail about his process.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I really, really want to see a bonus arc where the OOTS protagonists are in the paranoia setting.

:v:Hey Durkon are you a Vampire?
:drac:That information is above your security clearance. Are you trying to learn things above your clearance, commie?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Toussaint Louverture posted:

He's already doing a Dark Sun parody, so maybe...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rereading those early strips, Durkon's accent is so abominable. I think Rich might have only heard about Scottish people in books of apocryphal lore. Lines like "Umm, I not hav' no wife" and "Maybe if I lie still, dey be passin' me by" make him sound like a weird Scottish-Jamaican pastiche or possibly a caveman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well he has a dwarvish accent you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

It's also pretty consistently hilarious.

Edit: I guess ImageShack won't play ball.

ImageShack is banned here for some reason I forgot. Use imgur.com