Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

I'm looking for an app that will let me read wikis that aren't Wikipedia. Anything good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm looking for an app that will let me read wikis that aren't Wikipedia. Anything good?
Safari?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm a big fan of Wikipanion. You can add wikis to it like Wookieepedia.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

supersteve posted:

This is pretty much the opposite of my experience with the maps app (5 on Verizon).

Weird.

Sometimes even when I launch it, I can't interact with it for upwards of about 10-15 seconds (or more, maybe...)

No text input, no nothing...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

Sometimes even when I launch it, I can't interact with it for upwards of about 10-15 seconds (or more, maybe...)

No text input, no nothing...
Never seen such on either of our phones. Maybe something is broken / need a restore? Weird JB apps installed? v:shobon:v

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm a big fan of Wikipanion. You can add wikis to it like Wookieepedia.

Seconding this. I use it with all sorts of Wikia wikis.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

choobs posted:

Seconding this. I use it with all sorts of Wikia wikis.

Looks convenient. Do I need to get the pay version?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

uh zip zoom posted:

I don't think so. I've been on the base version and it's fully functional for what use it for.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

randyest posted:

Never seen such on either of our phones. Maybe something is broken / need a restore? Weird JB apps installed? v:shobon:v

Not likely. I've restored it a couple times and had the problems pretty much since day 1. Jailbreak was only recent on the 5.

Honestly, it's probably a data/throughput issue. I just can't imagine why...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Yeah mine is smooth.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

uh zip zoom posted:

I have the free version. I can't even remember what the paid version buys you.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Feenix posted:

Also have a 5. On AT&T in Seattle.

The google maps app doesn't ever stutter or lock. Just sayin...
It's you. I have the same phone same location and it works perfect.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Mapple works great on my iPhone 4, I can't imagine why it would be slow/spotty on a 5.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I want a free, simple but magical app that will tally up every time I do something on a daily basis, and display the results.

So I want to know how many times I do this thing on each date.

Any thoughts?

Are you intrigued as to what I am wanting to count? If I receive a good app recommendation I will reveal my secret.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I want a free, simple but magical app that will tally up every time I do something on a daily basis, and display the results.

Any thoughts?

Are you intrigued as to what I am wanting to count? If I receive a good app recommendation I will reveal my secret.

Pretty simple, QP:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pricy-poop/id335548002?mt=8

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I am not counting bowel movements and that app is not magical. My needs remain unmet.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pissflaps posted:

Any thoughts?

Try Daytum maybe?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hmm this i actually pretty good. Bit fiddly on the data entry side but apart from this it's satisfying my requirements. Thankyou.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Any thoughts?

Tally, maybe?: http://agiletortoise.com/tally

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm late on this, but I'm a fan of Articles. The universal version is $5, but if you just want the iPhone version, it's only $3. It's been my favorite Wiki app for years and well worth the measly few bucks.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

bazaar apparatus posted:

I'm late on this, but I'm a fan of Articles. The universal version is $5, but if you just want the iPhone version, it's only $3. It's been my favorite Wiki app for years and well worth the measly few bucks.

Just bought this awesome, awesome app. Hopefully I never get an iPad because I got the iPhone only version.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pissflaps posted:

Any thoughts?

"Hmmm... let's see... well, I only shoved my hands down my pants six times and she left 20 minutes into dinner. I gotta figure out how to tabulate this data..."

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bazaar apparatus posted:

I had this a year or two ago and it crashed constantly over multiple releases on a current-gen iPhone. Is it stable now?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I've never had it crash once.

edit: iPhone 5 and iPad 3

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Are there any good apps for revising math? I'm applying for college and I have an assessment in two weeks time but my maths is rusty (read: terrible) as hell, due to not using it at all since I left school 9 years ago. I'm talking fractions, decimals, ratios, area, volume, formulae, equations etc. I have books but honestly I have a hard time picking up a book whereas I'm always using my iPad.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

petewhitley posted:

I had this a year or two ago and it crashed constantly over multiple releases on a current-gen iPhone. Is it stable now?

It never crashes on me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Frankston posted:

Are there any good apps for revising math? I'm applying for college and I have an assessment in two weeks time but my maths is rusty (read: terrible) as hell, due to not using it at all since I left school 9 years ago. I'm talking fractions, decimals, ratios, area, volume, formulae, equations etc. I have books but honestly I have a hard time picking up a book whereas I'm always using my iPad.

Some goon makes Algebra Touch(I think it's called) which is limited, but pretty awesome.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bazaar apparatus posted:

It never crashes on me.

I'll give it another go then. They must have done something to it because back when I had it a ton of reviews basically said "beautiful but buggy as poo poo". It is a well designed app when it works.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I have a Galaxy Note II and my mom has an iPad. What is the best app that allows us to chat with each other?

I had looked for a Google Talk (she has a gmail account) app for iPad but didn't really find much. I then downloaded Google Plus (Android version has a messaging protocol built in) but it looks like the iPad version doesn't have the messaging built in.

I then looked at WhatsApp but they only support phones, not tablets?

Anyway, what is the best cross-platform messaging app that doesn't suck or preferably if anyone knows a good Google Talk app (since it's an open protocol)?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Beejive or IM+ are great IM apps. They fully support GTalk.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

IT Guy posted:

I have a Galaxy Note II and my mom has an iPad. What is the best app that allows us to chat with each other?

I had looked for a Google Talk (she has a gmail account) app for iPad but didn't really find much. I then downloaded Google Plus (Android version has a messaging protocol built in) but it looks like the iPad version doesn't have the messaging built in.

Anyway, what is the best cross-platform messaging app that doesn't suck or preferably if anyone knows a good Google Talk app (since it's an open protocol)?

Check out the app called Path. Works with both android and iOS. I've heard good things about it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
IMO does a pretty good job as a google talk client.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

IT Guy posted:

IMO is a great free chat app that works with Google Talk.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Frankston posted:

KhanAcademy you're welcome

Their videos literally got me through 4 years of engineering school better than any professor or tutor could. You'll understand more in 10 minute videos then in an entire 2 hour lecture.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Frankston posted:

I'd have given my left nut for MyScript Calculator when I was slogging through annoying fractions etc in early high school. It won't "teach" you, but it's a nice learning aid, I imagine.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
So Google just killed Reader, anybody got suggestions for an alternative that doesn't suck and will be a good choice for future support in Reeder or a similar app?

I know we have til July 1st but god drat I am freaking out right now.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

serebralassazin posted:

IMO does a pretty good job as a google talk client.

Have they managed to figure out whatever recent changes killed the ability for it to smartly switch whether it pushes messages to your desktop client or mobile client depending on which was last active? I stopped using it a few months ago because it was always pushing messages to both so my phone wouldn't stop vibrating while I was chatting over my PC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Neurophonic posted:

So Google just killed Reader, anybody got suggestions for an alternative that doesn't suck and will be a good choice for future support in Reeder or a similar app?

I know we have til July 1st but god drat I am freaking out right now.

I am with you, this blows. And yet Google+ is allowed to survive? Ugh. Still, this was coming since they removed sharing and then moved reader to a pull down menu instead of the title bar. So lame. Guess they couldn't really figure out any way to monetize it.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

priznat posted:

Guess they couldn't really figure out any way to monetize it.

That's the thing, surely this is one of the biggest gold mines of user data for targeted advertising that they have? I have hundreds of feeds posting hundreds of things every day, not even Facebook has this much data on stuff that I like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Neurophonic posted:

That's the thing, surely this is one of the biggest gold mines of user data for targeted advertising that they have? I have hundreds of feeds posting hundreds of things every day, not even Facebook has this much data on stuff that I like!

Perhaps it just doesn't have the user base to make the data worthwhile, hence their push to a much more dumbed down version with google+. Although lots of people I know who aren't super tech nerds are bummed about this.

But you're right though, you'd think that would be a treasure trove of data for advertisers and businesses!

• Locked thread