Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

evol262 posted:

Nope. It's multilib by default (ls /lib /lib64). You may want to check and make sure that you actually want all the i386 packages it's installing, though.

Well, it looks like it has every single package in both archs. The big concern is that it has Firefox in both i386 and x64 and that just feels bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murt
Aug 8, 2010
Can someone point me to a guide or something that explains software raid, both creating the array and managing the array?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Saint Darwin posted:

Well, it looks like it has every single package in both archs. The big concern is that it has Firefox in both i386 and x64 and that just feels bad.

Check what group you're installing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the oldest actively supported version of Linux? RHEL is v5, 2007, Ubuntu is v10.04, 2010. Looking at other Unix variants like OpenBSD, FreeBSD only have about 18 months of support.

Not to start a flame war, but it's sort of commendable that Microsoft would support XP for 11 years. Looks like RHEL 5 will have support until 2020? Good Lord.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
RHEL is supported for a minimum of twelve years. Customers can buy extended support if they desire.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

murt posted:

Can someone point me to a guide or something that explains software raid, both creating the array and managing the array?

This is usually a good start http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Hadlock posted:

What is the oldest actively supported version of Linux? RHEL is v5, 2007, Ubuntu is v10.04, 2010. Looking at other Unix variants like OpenBSD, FreeBSD only have about 18 months of support.

Not to start a flame war, but it's sort of commendable that Microsoft would support XP for 11 years. Looks like RHEL 5 will have support until 2020? Good Lord.

Heres are the RHEL details like mentioned:
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

Ubuntu it depends, cause they have an LTS version if you want something you don't plan on upgrading as often:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That's what I used to build my RAID setup, although these days it has a link to wiki.kernel.org telling you that the docs there are more up to date.

[ASK] me about resurrecting an mdadm RAID6 array after the ancient SCSI backplane shits itself and drops four drives from the array at once. :derp:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

murt posted:

A couple years ago, I started making notes when I set up linux software raid (mdadm) and LVM and it slowly started to morph in to something to help other people. I stopped before it was polished and finished, but you should be able to get something out of this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_gJDtFRW4DD4ylRXw-4uxqqjcUdAp-GuVS19tKqP8J4/edit?usp=sharing

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm starting to get the hang of Linux, I think. I haven't caused a major virtual catastrophe yet, anyway. I've been wondering something, though. What exactly does "sudo" mean, and what does it do? Why do certain commands work with sudo, but not on their own?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

razorrozar posted:

I'm starting to get the hang of Linux, I think. I haven't caused a major virtual catastrophe yet, anyway. I've been wondering something, though. What exactly does "sudo" mean, and what does it do? Why do certain commands work with sudo, but not on their own?

There's a million things that people think "sudo" represents ("su do" where su means any number of things), but sudo will execute the command that follows it as another user (the superuser by default), and programs that require privilege escalation will usually tell you that and quit without actually doing anything. Think of installing a program on Windows or deleting someone else's user directory. And, as always, you can type "man sudo" into a terminal prompt to get probably everything you want to know about how to use it.

Hadlock posted:

You are conflating point releases with major versions. FreeBSD 7 was released in 2008 and was EOLed in February.

hifi fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 13, 2013

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

razorrozar posted:

Have you ever had to use "run as" in windows and gotten a UAC prompt? That's pretty analogous to sudo; it's a way to run a command as a different user, typically root AKA the SuperUser. You can pretend sudo is an acronym for Switch User DO or Super User DO if that makes more sense for you.

It would be pretty terrible if just any user to delete the "Program Files" directory so you need to elevate permissions to do that in modern windows and in the same way you would need to elevate permissions to delete /bin in unixs. The is the same with programs, it would be really terrible if just any user could run a partition editor and blow away your C: drive in windows and the same applies in unix land.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the answers to my last question; the article especially was very informative about su and sudo. Can anyone recommend an Ubuntu torrent client that I can apt-get? Somehow, the terminal and apt-get seem much easier than the software center, even though the latter has a GUI.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

razorrozar posted:

Thanks for the answers to my last question; the article especially was very informative about su and sudo. Can anyone recommend an Ubuntu torrent client that I can apt-get? Somehow, the terminal and apt-get seem much easier than the software center, even though the latter has a GUI.

Either deluge or qbittorrent should be fine, they are similar to vuze/utorrent.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

razorrozar posted:

Transmission is really good.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

razorrozar posted:

Ubuntu by default ships with transmission bittorrent client.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

razorrozar posted:

Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type "torrent". Like Longinus00 just mentioned Transmission is already installed on your computer, and it's good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I am going to murder Java.

I am trying to get the loving plugin to work in Chrome and I just cannot get it to go. I need it in order to connect to my work VPN. No matter what or how I install Java (including following instructions like this) Chrome denies that it's installed. I'm about to lose my drat mind.

edit: I'm starting it with --enable-plugins just in case that's still a thing, I've tried creating the symlink in /opt/google/chrome/plugins which is apparently how it works in Ubuntu too. I'm using the 32 bit version as is required according to Oracle. Nothing. Works.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 13, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

I am going to murder Java.

I am trying to get the loving plugin to work in Chrome and I just cannot get it to go. I need it in order to connect to my work VPN. No matter what or how I install Java (including following instructions like this) Chrome denies that it's installed. I'm about to lose my drat mind.

You need to put a symlink to the plugin in /opt/google-chrome or somesuch.

I use OpenJDK and IcedTea myself and that works well with chrome too.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

spankmeister posted:

You need to put a symlink to the plugin in /opt/google-chrome or somesuch.

I use OpenJDK and IcedTea myself and that works well with chrome too.

I've done that.

/opt/google/chrome/plugins/libnpjp2.so -> /usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

I've done that.

/opt/google/chrome/plugins/libnpjp2.so -> /usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

And you're using the 32 bit version of chrome?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

spankmeister posted:

And you're using the 32 bit version of chrome?

64 bit browser, 32 bit plugin. Shouldn't that still work, since the Java version HAS TO be 32 bit according to Oracle?

edit: It's not even showing up in chrome://plugins. It's just not loading the loving file as far as I can tell.

edit2: Tore it all down, put the 64 bit version of java on, triple checked the links, NOW it works. Ugh.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 13, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

64 bit browser, 32 bit plugin. Shouldn't that still work, since the Java version HAS TO be 32 bit according to Oracle?

edit: It's not even showing up in chrome://plugins. It's just not loading the loving file as far as I can tell.

edit2: Tore it all down, put the 64 bit version of java on, triple checked the links, NOW it works. Ugh.

Oracle is full of poo poo. You cannot load a 32 bit shared library into a 64 bit binary.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If anyone out there is using OpenSUSE (who am I kidding, there isn't), 12.3 is out

http://news.opensuse.org/2013/03/13/opensuse-12-3-free-open-and-awesome/

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

If anyone out there is using OpenSUSE (who am I kidding, there isn't), 12.3 is out

http://news.opensuse.org/2013/03/13/opensuse-12-3-free-open-and-awesome/

I really tried to like Opensuse, but this was before Linus called out Redhat for
requiring root just to use a printer, and Opensuse was doing the same thing, so I hosed off back to Ubuntu. I've always just assumed that it's user base is the entirety of Germany.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It wasn't requiring root to use a printer was it? I thought it was requiring root to install or configure a printer. It means that a user can't install a new printer in their own profile and I think even some basic settings like paper trays or size may need root. The issue was his daughter needed to install a network printer for her school on her laptop and couldn't.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Correct, system-config-printer or whatever needs root. Once configured it can be used by non-privileged users.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Yeah sorry, I'm on my phone. For some reason my diction correlates to the ease with which I can input text.
I'm used to a university situation where people frequently borrow many different private printers, so requiring root just to set up a printer means the user is authenticating a lot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does Red Hat handle all external output devices the same? Do you need root to mount a USB thumb drive, or to enable display/desktop spanning to a second/external monitor? HDMI is a two way high speed data bus that supports TCP/IP.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 13, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Does Red Hat handle all external output devices the same?
That's a bit too broad so no.

quote:

Do you need root to mount a USB thumb drive, or to enable display/desktop spanning to a second/external monitor?
No on both, but it depends. The usb drive is usually handled by gnome if you use the desktop otherwise you'd need to setup some udev magic or fstab options or use pmount and such. Like with anything else on linux there's usually a dozen different ways to do something.i

quote:

HDMI is a two way high speed data bus that supports TCP/IP.
I dunno about the fancy features of hdmi, but it works well for my multi monitor setup on my sandy bridge workstation at work. No root needed to set that up. (although you do need the Intel drivers from elrepo but that's a one time thing)

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I posted this on the XBMC forum but got no responses, perhaps you guys can help?

I'm running my own setup of XBMC on Ubuntu, I have it configured so openbox is launched at startup which runs XBMC via autostart.sh. When it starts up it's full screen and everything is great. The problem I'm running in to is when XBMC (not the computer) goes to sleep and turns off the display, when it wakes up the window decoration appears on XBMC. This is incredibly irritating as the only real fix is to reboot it :(

I have the following as my rc.xml which should disable decoration and prevent the above issue from occurring.

code:
<applications>
        <application name="*">
                <decor>no</decor>
                <shade>no</shade>
                <maximized>true</maximized>
        </application>
</applications>
Anyone have suggestions on what I can do?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Hey, my first desktop Linux question in ages!

I have two nVidia cards installed in my work computer. One is a Geforce GT 610 x16, and the other is the same card in an x1 flavor. Is it possible, using either the Nouveau or proprietary driver, to have a 3-screen configuration? Pure Xrandr is preferable, but I'll use Xinerama if I have to. I'm not loving around with multiple screens, that poo poo sucks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Misogynist posted:

Hey, my first desktop Linux question in ages!

I have two nVidia cards installed in my work computer. One is a Geforce GT 610 x16, and the other is the same card in an x1 flavor. Is it possible, using either the Nouveau or proprietary driver, to have a 3-screen configuration? Pure Xrandr is preferable, but I'll use Xinerama if I have to. I'm not loving around with multiple screens, that poo poo sucks.

If it's the same GPU it should be fine. My system wouldn't do compositing when running multiple monitors across my two GPUs, but that's because I have a total mismatch with a GTX550Ti and a GT220. The error said the GPUs were too different for it to work.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Lets assume that I am rusty as hell on coding, but can basically follow along on simple stuff (because it is true). Lets also assume that I need to as quickly as absolutely possible make Linux second nature (also because it is true). I'll be using Fedora 16 mostly. Besides putting Linux on a VM or a throwaway partition and just start messing around in it what are the best ways to very quickly crash course my way through learning Linux backend? Any guides or pdfs or even books that can supplement hands on learning with free being the optimal price but I can shell out some cash if it is particularly worth it.

A friend has a goal of going from novice to compiling an OS on his own in six months and I am determined to beat him with as wide a margin as possible, making as much progress as I can, in particular, in the next two months so I can qualify for a promotion. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me out? I'm starting to burn through linux.org, but what else?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

Lets assume that I am rusty as hell on coding, but can basically follow along on simple stuff (because it is true). Lets also assume that I need to as quickly as absolutely possible make Linux second nature (also because it is true). I'll be using Fedora 16 mostly. Besides putting Linux on a VM or a throwaway partition and just start messing around in it what are the best ways to very quickly crash course my way through learning Linux backend? Any guides or pdfs or even books that can supplement hands on learning with free being the optimal price but I can shell out some cash if it is particularly worth it.

A friend has a goal of going from novice to compiling an OS on his own in six months and I am determined to beat him with as wide a margin as possible, making as much progress as I can, in particular, in the next two months so I can qualify for a promotion. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me out? I'm starting to burn through linux.org, but what else?

I think the best way is to make things that are relevant to your life or something you'd like to do. Create an emulator, host some media, have a mail server, host a webpage, install cacti(graphing for system statistics) things like that. I always find that it's far harder to learn something by force when you don't have any sort of personal investment. Just going through some webpages about how to do things will only teach you that, how to do it. Not why it's done or why it's done for x y and z reasons.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Well I guess specifically it will be stuff related to Linux server environments. Aforementioned friend got a level 1 VPS for us to mess around in. So any guides on cool or essential things to do by bash commands to maintain a server would be cool. Learning about root access WHM right now and have pretty much mastered cPanel at this point minus any ancillary stuff like cronjobs scripting or MySQL work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dameius posted:

Well I guess specifically it will be stuff related to Linux server environments. Aforementioned friend got a level 1 VPS for us to mess around in. So any guides on cool or essential things to do by bash commands to maintain a server would be cool. Learning about root access WHM right now and have pretty much mastered cPanel at this point minus any ancillary stuff like cronjobs scripting or MySQL work.

Install everything by hand now. Wordpress, Joomla, Redmine...

Install the packages according to the README for each project. Edit the server config files by hand, etc.

Then do it again but build everything from source.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Install everything by hand now. Wordpress, Joomla, Redmine...

Install the packages according to the README for each project. Edit the server config files by hand, etc.

Then do it again but build everything from source.

Going by hand then will basically be FTPing in to place the packages in their eventual document roots and then unpacking them followed by creating any needed databases, right? Or would I need to do db first? Or should I just wait until I ssh in to start worrying about this?

Also not really directly Linux related but any of you guys have a good resource to reference to master eximtail/grep/log to troubleshoot smtp issues? I'm Googling around right now but if you happen to have something bookmarked I'd appreciate it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dameius posted:

Going by hand then will basically be FTPing in to place the packages in their eventual document roots and then unpacking them followed by creating any needed databases, right? Or would I need to do db first? Or should I just wait until I ssh in to start worrying about this?

Also not really directly Linux related but any of you guys have a good resource to reference to master eximtail/grep/log to troubleshoot smtp issues? I'm Googling around right now but if you happen to have something bookmarked I'd appreciate it.

Just wait until you have SSH access. Most of these require databases to be created beforehand, though.

You should install a VM (that's not a deprecated version of Fedora -- don't use that on a server that's public facing, it's not going to get security fixes) and go through the CentOS Deployment Guide and/or the FreeBSD handbook, both of which will tell you everything you really need to know about basic server administration, including DNS, SMTP issues, and the like. Obviously, you have to know something about SMTP before you can troubleshoot it (tried by hand with "telnet someserver 25"?). A RHCE study guide wouldn't be a terrible idea either, since it covers most of those concepts.

Twilight is exactly right, though. You need to know when and why to do things, not just how.

Don't bother installing poo poo from source (maybe ./configure && make && make install on one or two very small projects). All that teaches you about is cryptic gcc/autoconf errors that you have to Google if it breaks, and almost nobody installs from source in the "real world" (I'm excepting ports, portage, homebrew and the like, because they handle dependencies and are basically full-fledged package managers). Use a package manager. Once you're comfortable with that, learn how to build RPMs from source tarballs (again, the RHCE study guide will tell you how to do this). If there's a package for it, you should prefer that.

You're going to fail. You're not going to become a Linux expert in six months. You should read a RHCE guide anyway, because it's your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Dameius posted:

Install a SVN server and get it working through httpd. Harden the server and use a suite to probe it or find a friend who knows how to do it and ask them. Get an rsync backup system in place and then cause a failure and restore it.

My own unrelated issue I am dealing with:

This user can't get into one of our main servers via ssh. I've had her do -v and this is the output after she enters her password

quote:

debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions@openssh.com
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LANG = en_US.UTF-8

After this, nothing happens, it just freezes.

There were hilarious things happening before like the presence of an RSA key on her machine that was being sent to the server, which didn't expect an RSA key and was halting at the key authentication stage (before it moved onto password), so I'm expecting some other awful nonsense to be at work.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 15, 2013