Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

insanityv2 posted:

I have this girl saying to me that if only she had been able to afford to finish undergrad she could have gone to the law school gotten into media law and then interned at the EFF. Media law was a subject she "absolutely fell in love with" while doing her film major at community college. She really can't seem to let go of this despite the fact that she has found an actual career right now.

Given that she does not plan on going to law school in the immediate future, would it be cruel to explain to her why her dreams are kind of dumb and unlikely to begin with? I feel like I'd be staving off a future midlife crisis on one hand, but on the other the point seems moot and I'd seem like an rear end in a top hat.

Honestly, at this point I've given up caring what people want to do with respect to attending law school beyond simply saying, "That's probably a bad idea. You should really think about it."

But feel free to keep on crusading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Crossposting this from the D&D Doonesbury thread:

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

insanityv2 posted:

Given that she does not plan on going to law school in the immediate future, would it be cruel to explain to her why her dreams are kind of dumb and unlikely to begin with? I feel like I'd be staving off a future midlife crisis on one hand, but on the other the point seems moot and I'd seem like an rear end in a top hat.

Chicks dig assholes you know. But since she'll never actually do it, you can tell her that she's a special snowflake and she can do anything she puts her mind to. No harm no foul.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Actually calling her dreams dumb will probably just make her more determined because people are weird. Otherwise, being frank about the realities of her situation would be doing her a solid.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I recently got dumped by a girl who was planning to reject HLS to go to Berkley if she got in (she had an interview with HLS and seemed confident that they'd accept her, I didn't really pry).

So that's one thing I have in common with Harvard Law School I guess

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

I recently got dumped by a girl who was planning to reject HLS to go to Berkley if she got in (she had an interview with HLS and seemed confident that they'd accept her, I didn't really pry).

So that's one thing I have in common with Harvard Law School I guess

You're not loving 0Ls?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

You're not loving 0Ls?

Apparently not :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlyFrog posted:

God forbid I inject a little compassion and humanity here,
You've changed, man. You've changed.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

tau posted:

Honestly, at this point I've given up caring what people want to do with respect to attending law school beyond simply saying, "That's probably a bad idea. You should really think about it."

This.

I just don't care anymore.

In fact, at this point, a part of me wants them to go. Years ago, back when there was nothing but misinformation out there, our crusade was a noble one. Now, if someone is so blind that they still think law school is a good idea...then gently caress em. They should suffer.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
I'm one of the Music Directors for our Law Revue and I put it on my resume, and one of my OCI interviewers thought it was Law Review and asked what I was planning on writing my Note on.

I told him no Note was required for the organization and left it at that...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm writing my notes on staff paper, of course. What else would I write a note on? :smug:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I'm one of the Music Directors for our Law Revue and I put it on my resume, and one of my OCI interviewers thought it was Law Review and asked what I was planning on writing my Note on.

I told him no Note was required for the organization and left it at that...

I had this on my resume as well but at the bottom under personal interests and I explicitly made it clear that I _acted_ in a _variety show_ and not something reputable.

In related news, the GWU 2013 show was a couple weeks ago and now the videos are on youtube. For better or for worse, I am in some of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GWLawRevue?feature=watch

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I had this on my resume as well but at the bottom under personal interests and I explicitly made it clear that I _acted_ in a _variety show_ and not something reputable.

In related news, the GWU 2013 show was a couple weeks ago and now the videos are on youtube. For better or for worse, I am in some of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GWLawRevue?feature=watch

Oh shi, I'm in Columbia Law Revue. We were both finalists for the ATL Video last year!

Your video was awesome! (but lost to us, sorry)

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

People here really thought we should have won, but I feel like they don't recognize just how dirty you guys made civil procedure. It was 2 years ago that I think GW was robbed. I wasn't here then though, cause I transferred in last year. I think the plan is to submit thrift shop, but if 2 videos are accepted again I don't know which it will be.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Oh shi, I'm in Columbia Law Revue.

We have two goons. We are doomed.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

2012 grad from a T14, Biglaw in secondary market, I wear jeans on Friday and work about 50 hours a week while making NY market. Also live three blocks from the beach. Most of my time goes to antitrust and will probably give the clerkship wheel another spin in the next year.

Tell me your secrets

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Bushido Brown posted:

CLS, for whatever reason, is crawling with goons. My GIRLFRIEND went there, and I couldn't visit her without running into a lawgoon.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

HiddenReplaced posted:

CLS, for whatever reason, is crawling with goons. My GIRLFRIEND went there, and I couldn't visit her without running into a lawgoon.

You didn't find it suspicious that he was always on his way out when you were stopping by to see her?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Texas lawyers: Is it me or is our Bart's website mostly inscrutable. As far as I can tell, my first CLE period is actually two years, so I have until Nov 2014 to do my first round of CLE, which is fine. I also thought there was a mandatory first year attorney ethics CLE, but I can't find anything about it online.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

HolySwissCheese posted:

Texas lawyers: Is it me or is our Bart's website mostly inscrutable. As far as I can tell, my first CLE period is actually two years, so I have until Nov 2014 to do my first round of CLE, which is fine. I also thought there was a mandatory first year attorney ethics CLE, but I can't find anything about it online.

http://www.legalethicstexas.com/Courses/Online-Courses/Justice-James-A--Baker-Guide-to-the-Basics-of--(1).aspx

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Awesome, thanks! Also, I just realized that due to having the best birthday (November), my first CLE compliance period doesn't end until October 2015. Boooya everyone whose birthday is December and who therefore has literally an extra year of CLE to do.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Pop Goes the Law:

http://chronicle.com/article/Pop-Goes-the-Law/137717/?cid=cr&utm_source=cr&utm_medium=en

Doesn't really say anything new, but a nice summary.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

woozle wuzzle posted:

3rd'ing this. If studying and waiting on the LSAT made you crazy, please realize that law school is like 3 years of liquid crazy that ends in a bar exam. Don't go. Don't go. You either have to be a super star top 5%, or not give a poo poo and feel comfortable flying by the seat of your pants. Those in the middle end up working at Lowes to pay for their therapy. Don't go.

The entire practice of law is a gigantic cramming/waiting game. You won't hear for weeks or months after a huge hearing in federal court. Government agencies can and do require over 1 year before bringing a case to be recommended for prosecution/investigation .

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Bushido Brown posted:

Wait, you're in Columbia Law Revue too? Who are you? (what are your initials)

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Don't tell him, make him stairs everyone in the cast.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Meatbag Esq. posted:

This would be hilarious.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I would, but goons who joined the forums after :regd07: don't usually know what I'm talking about.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Wait, you're in Columbia Law Revue too? Who are you? (what are your initials)

Yes, I'm in Columbia Law Revue as well. Unfortunately I don't have a house so I cannot be protected.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

This.

I just don't care anymore.

In fact, at this point, a part of me wants them to go. Years ago, back when there was nothing but misinformation out there, our crusade was a noble one. Now, if someone is so blind that they still think law school is a good idea...then gently caress em. They should suffer.

I feel the same way, except I think this is more of a symptom of us dying inside than anything else

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

So apparently the 2014 USNews rankings are out. It's hilarious to me how much I used to care about this poo poo.

However, one important highlight that does still matter:

quote:

9. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
11. Duke University

:smugdog:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the big boss came by my office today to ask me to go represent a client on kind of hearing that I've never even seen done before, because the original attorney did some scheduling gently caress up. it's low stakes, but lol really? malpractice carrier on speed dial

edit: it's tomorrow morning, naturally

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 12, 2013

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Subject: Now that you have your LSAT score, it's time to decide.

Should I go for it guyz?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

represent a client on kind of hearing that I've never even seen done before

Heh, that sounds like a weekday to me. A lot of attorneys have to operate without a net like that, don't sweat it.

Just pretend like you know what you're doing, and lower their expectations. Prepare them to lose. "With this judge, man I dunno. He can go either way. We're giving it our best shot".

I figure it ain't called the practice of law for nothing.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WaveLength posted:

Subject: Now that you have your LSAT score, it's time to decide.

Should I go for it guyz?

See if you can get them to pay you to attend.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

woozle wuzzle posted:

Heh, that sounds like a weekday to me. A lot of attorneys have to operate without a net like that, don't sweat it.

Just pretend like you know what you're doing, and lower their expectations. Prepare them to lose. "With this judge, man I dunno. He can go either way. We're giving it our best shot".

I figure it ain't called the practice of law for nothing.
I appreciate the advice. I still hate being put in this position and I'm pretty butt devastated at the partner for dropping it on me. It's the first time I've had to represent someone without being knowledgable about a process or at least having lots of time to prepare or ask around.

Still figuring out how to answer the inevitable "HOW OLD ARE YOU?" or "HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU DONE THIS?" questions.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
If my school is ranked in the low 40's for it's day program but is 15 in part-time, can I claim I went to a Top 15 Law School?

Big Law, here I come!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Lawyer & Law School Megathread: Butt Devastation

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

TenementFunster posted:

I appreciate the advice. I still hate being put in this position and I'm pretty butt devastated at the partner for dropping it on me. It's the first time I've had to represent someone without being knowledgable about a process or at least having lots of time to prepare or ask around.

Still figuring out how to answer the inevitable "HOW OLD ARE YOU?" or "HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU DONE THIS?" questions.

ARE YOU STILL IN SCHOOL

I THOUGHT THE GUY ON THE DOOR WOULD BE REPRESENTING ME

And other fun questions are great. You can always smile at them and answer them politely while wishing them sweet death.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

More stupid advice, you may know this, not talking down to you, but it gets me through:

A key part of not getting a bar complaint while deserving one, is to not have the affect of cluelessness whilst being clueless. Like that look of confusion about where to sit, not having a pen, forgetting their names. People can accept losing a case as long as you prepare them for the potential for losing. What they can't accept is feeling uncomfortable, like you're unsure of what's going on. Half of your purpose in being there is to hold their hands and tell them it will all work out. So choke back the nerves, and act like you've been there before. Head high, be honest with them but not wishy-washy, ask them if they have any questions, and point out the bathrooms.

If you have true logistic problems (new courthouse and not sure what to do, etc), just say something like "This is my first time in Toledo's courthouse, Bob usually has me in Houston, let me go check in with the clerk". Then just tell the clerk you're new and ask wtf. Even if you only know 10% of what's going on, lay out the itinerary of that 10% to your clients: "Hold on here while I talk to the prosecutor/opposing counsel. Then we'll go in and you'll sit there while I sit up there. The judge will be in shortly, and it's a crapshoot as to when he calls us on the docket." It sounds dumb, but if you ace the flight attendant portion of the day, you can bomb the lawyer part of the day and usually be OK.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Meatbag Esq. posted:

People here really thought we should have won, but I feel like they don't recognize just how dirty you guys made civil procedure. It was 2 years ago that I think GW was robbed. I wasn't here then though, cause I transferred in last year. I think the plan is to submit thrift shop, but if 2 videos are accepted again I don't know which it will be.

You're wrong. GW should have beaten Columbia with Palsgraf in 2012, and BU's Old Dirty Bastard parody was the best law revue music video I've ever seen and definitely deserved to win 2011.