Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
its a shame 9/11 had to happen in our world and not one of those other lovely possible worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

yep, it was cool. tef finally accepted that america is the best, and he's now a big nascar fan as it turns out!

:patriot:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Sweeper posted:

its a shame 9/11 had to happen in our world and not one of those other lovely possible worlds

this is the most absurd of all possible lives

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

horse mans posted:

this is the most absurd of all possible lives

the most absurdly best

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sweeper posted:

the most absurdly best

gently caress you, doctor pangloss :mad:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

plugging away at project euler using racket and is it just me or is array manipulation a pain in the loving rear end in lisp-likes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I generally find a lot of lisp data structure handling to be annoying.

(name-of-variant-operation ....)

Check out racket/match to ease away the pain when reading from some of them:

code:
> (match #(1 (2) (2) (2) 5)
    [(vector 1 (list a) ..3 5) a])

'(2 2 2)
where (list a) binds 2 to a, checks the (list a) pattern for one or more times as it can until it reaches 3 (..3). It then returns the value of a for as many times as it matched with the .. pattern.

It's not an obvious pattern, but you've got loads of simpler stuff in there to match on lists (ordered or not), vectors, records, etc.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
move to rename thread to "adventures of tef (+ some PLs I guess)"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I generally find a lot of lisp data structure handling to be annoying.

(name-of-variant-operation ....)

Check out racket/match to ease away the pain when reading from some of them:

code:
> (match #(1 (2) (2) (2) 5)
    [(vector 1 (list a) ..3 5) a])

'(2 2 2)
where (list a) binds 2 to a, checks the (list a) pattern for one or more times as it can until it reaches 3 (..3). It then returns the value of a for as many times as it matched with the .. pattern.

It's not an obvious pattern, but you've got loads of simpler stuff in there to match on lists (ordered or not), vectors, records, etc.

my understanding of lispy stuff is about halfway through the seasoned schemer, i think, so i'm going to have to reread this at least 30 times before it makes sense to me, but thanks nonetheless :downs:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

why do lisp advocates blame poor marketing for why lisp isn't more popular when it's obviously just ugly to read)))))

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toady posted:

why do lisp advocates blame poor marketing for why lisp isn't more popular when it's obviously just ugly to read)))))

i imagine they'd say that you only think it's ugly because you're not used to seeing it everywhere

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Toady posted:

it's not ugly to read, actually

and i've never seen anyone blame 'poor marketing' for why lisp isn't more popular. intelligent, articulate people generally acknowledge that writing a standard but not getting behind a standard distribution will dent a language's community and support size, as well as the early difficulties of finding a robust, free lisp to nurture said community in the 80s and 90s.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
just use clojure

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

apl remains the most beautiful language

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
Lisp's problem is loving lispers. Clojure is the "best" lisp so far and even it is riddled with bad documentation and abandoned projects. Lisp attracts smart lazy people, but I'm starting to think you need overeager jeff atwood reading idiots to answer stupid questions on stackoverflow and make lovely twitter libraries if you want a language to be successful. (srs, I like clojure but I'm becoming less and less hopeful that it'll ever be anything more than a language for people who care too much about languages)

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

python 2 would've prevented 9/11 because 9/11 == 0

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tef posted:

i also accepted jesus into my heart

I think you are going to have to leave that behind when you go through customs

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

horse mans posted:

it's not ugly to read, actually

and i've never seen anyone blame 'poor marketing' for why lisp isn't more popular. intelligent, articulate people generally acknowledge that writing a standard but not getting behind a standard distribution will dent a language's community and support size, as well as the early difficulties of finding a robust, free lisp to nurture said community in the 80s and 90s.

lisp is an ugly bunch of indentation and parenthesis. lisp fanboys have always shaken their fists at whatever trendy languages are getting all the buzz while lisp languishes due to "poor marketing" or "lack of awareness"))))))

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
everyone knows about lisp and no one cares.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Toady posted:

lisp is an ugly bunch of indentation and parenthesis. lisp fanboys have always shaken their fists at whatever trendy languages are getting all the buzz while lisp languishes due to "poor marketing" or "lack of awareness"))))))

i want to like lisp but the loving parentheses just kill me
maybe rainbow-delimiter-mode or whatever will take away the pain

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Paul Graham posted:

In a buffer overflow attack, someone gives a program much more data than it was expecting. The data is too long for the memory allocated for it and overflows into the memory occupied by the program itself. Suddenly the computer is running the attacker's code.

In a hijacking, the same thing happens to a plane. A plane has two separate spaces, one for the people carried on it, and one for the people who control it. A hijacking happens when passengers overflow into the cockpit from the cabin.

so hijacking a plane is kind of like seeing how many people you can stuff into a telephone booth?

srs-post: paul graham is the worst.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Internaut! posted:

places I've seen people speak positively about OCAML:

1. a lovely options market maker called Jane Street

2. /r/programming

my school does a class in ocaml and jane street recruits from here but holy gently caress I never want to touch it (and probably won't but im not CS so im lucky.) People occasionally get some Stockholm Syndrome going but still never have an answer for "Why OCaml over ____"

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Condiv posted:

so hijacking a plane is kind of like seeing how many people you can stuff into a telephone booth?

srs-post: paul graham is the worst.

my favorite part of that post is how he uses lisp as an example of keeping code and data separate

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Toady posted:

cool, i'm glad you know how to repeat what other idiots say

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Police Academy III posted:

Lisp's problem is loving lispers. Clojure is the "best" lisp so far and even it is riddled with bad documentation and abandoned projects. Lisp attracts smart lazy people, but I'm starting to think you need overeager jeff atwood reading idiots to answer stupid questions on stackoverflow and make lovely twitter libraries if you want a language to be successful. (srs, I like clojure but I'm becoming less and less hopeful that it'll ever be anything more than a language for people who care too much about languages)

i think clojure is the best lisp because everyone realizes they still need to eat the java poo poo sandwich if they ever want to be any good, and i think that helps keeps people grounded

that and rich hickey is a pretty good benevolent dictator

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

horse mans posted:

cool, i'm glad you know how to repeat what other idiots say

programming in lisp is like writing a novel in sentence diagrams)))))))

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Toady posted:

programming in lisp is like writing a novel in sentence diagrams)))))))

a writing analogy about programming from someone who doesn't know how to program, or write

please do go on

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

programming is like typing code to make a computer do something trivial and stupid for your dumb meaningless job oh wait that's not an analogy

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

horse mans posted:

a writing analogy about programming from someone who doesn't know how to program, or write

please do go on

okay

if you willingly program lisp, you're probably an insufferable person and people insult you when you're not around

babies and dogs hate you

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Toady posted:

okay

if you willingly program lisp, you're probably an insufferable person and people insult you when you're not around

babies and dogs hate you

you're a loving terrible poster and it gets more obvious with every reply

why the gently caress would i care about babies and dogs. shut the gently caress up. you're poo poo.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

horse mans posted:

why the gently caress would i care about babies and dogs. shut the gently caress up. you're poo poo.

if you program lisp, you're a totty-headed nocky boy))))

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
someone get me outta this whack rear end parenthetical prison

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

horse mans posted:

(who? (in pissed (your cornflakes))

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

Zombywuf posted:

whop

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

horse mans posted:

dogs are great; you should care about them

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket
Why are we fighting about lisp when rails exists and so does Zed?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well no one things rails is anything other than crap so theres not really anything to argue over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Zombywuf posted:

i don't know, man. it's weird. like, i can deal with the retard posters, i can deal with the unfunny posters, i can deal with the posters that don't know what the gently caress they're talking about

but it's like this switch gets flipped when someone's all three

Shaggar posted: