Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Isn't Wonderful 101 supposed to still drop by the end of March?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It's supposed to be "Q1"/"launch window" (JP), but it seems like the default answer for Wii U games has become "when it's done""probably later than you think."

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Policenaut posted:

If I recall, isn't Miyamoto slowly winding down and preparing the Nintendo teams for his eventual retirement? I figure at this point Nintendo of Japan just lets him do whatever at the office.

I would hope so. Miyamoto seems to be getting a bit senile I'm afraid.

...Yes, I am still holding the Paper Mario: Sticker Star fiasco against him.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sly Pistachio posted:

Sticker Star rules, dummy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

Sticker Star rules, dummy.

It's pretty awesome but it's only paper mario in terms of art assets. Everything else is so different it can't even be called paper mario.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am pretty excited to actually be able to use all the Wii U money I had people buy me for Christmas this year. Since I finished ZombiU my Wii U has been used primarily as a cat chair, for some reason the little bastard loves sitting on it. I think suck a long drought is going to prompt me to go crazy now that games are coming out, will probably get Lego GTA, NFS, and Monster Hunter. Well played Nintendo.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sly Pistachio posted:

...fiasco? Really?

Although Nintendo has been forgetting the trick to making a good Paper Mario game - "Just do what you did in Thousand Year Door you dummies".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I won't hold any out of character Paper Mario game against Intelligent Systems since they literally make every great game that's existed on 3DS, DSi and Wii.

Mario & Luigi has kind of taken the official RPG baton away and Paper Mario is now more of a Kirby-type IP to experiment with.

I hope the new Mario & Luigi survives the translation to 3D because they've gotten so much better with each new entry and I'd hate for it to take a step back. Inside Bowser's Story was fuckin rad.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

So is TVii any good? Have they worked on it? It is hard finding updated information for it beyond the reviews from back in December 2012.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

c355n4 posted:

So is TVii any good? Have they worked on it? It is hard finding updated information for it beyond the reviews from back in December 2012.

Is there a good instructional video for it? I haven't gotten it to work, but I also haven't spent more than 5 minutes on it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

c355n4 posted:

It is OK but I feel that it is hamstrung by the fact that the controller is incapable of controlling more than 2 devices, meaning I need a second remote for my Audio Receiver, as it will only control my television and my cable box.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Isn't Wonderful 101 supposed to still drop by the end of March?

No, it was delayed to Q3 because Kamiya's crippling Twitter addiction is preventing him from doing his job.

Seriously though, it's a Q2 game, so it's coming out in April at the earliest.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Is there something I am missing about getting TVii to work with Uverse? I have followed all of the guides I can find, but whenever I try to browse my channels/guide it instantly switches my television to "TV Out" and adjusts the channel there. This is a completely different input from what my Uverse receiver is plugged into. What I do to make this work?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It is OK but I feel that it is hamstrung by the fact that the controller is incapable of controlling more than 2 devices, meaning I need a second remote for my Audio Receiver, as it will only control my television and my cable box.

Oh that blows, I thought it might make a decent universal remote.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Long John Power posted:

I have the exact same overscan issue, the WiiU actually lets you fix this, but only on an app to app basis. Hopefully the next update should sort this out and let you fix it globally.

Yeah, have they at least confirmed they're working on a fix? I can understand this being part of launch console woes, but worse if they're just going to ignore it and pretend it's not an issue.

Hoping MH3U will have it's own fix for this, but I sincerely doubt it. :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I admit that I thought this was real until I noticed what site this was. Given it is Kamiya, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

I admit that I thought this was real until I noticed what site this was. Given it is Kamiya, nothing would surprise me anymore.

I'm unfamiliar with the site. Is it some kind of parody site?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

theflyingorc posted:

...fiasco? Really?

Although Nintendo has been forgetting the trick to making a good Paper Mario game - "Just do what you did in Thousand Year Door you dummies".

Well that's the thing though -- if you go read the Sticker Star Iwata Asks, IntSys had "just what they did in TTYD" running on the 3DS, but then Miyamoto came along and told them they should cut that back and do something entirely different instead, using only characters that appeared in early Mario games (read: SMB1).

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 13, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Sticker Star was excellent you monsters :colbert:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Latest gameinformer includes a Lego City Undercover review. Said a lot of positive things about it, gave it an 8.5. That's some good news, at least. Bias or not.

To go along with this, also hard to rule out bias but Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 90%. Apparently Edge gave it a 5/10, but from what I read they don't typically appreciate Lego games.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

What I watched from the Giant Bomb quick look made it look dull as dishwater. The lack of an interesting story and characters just killed my excitement for it.

Super Paper Mario also cut back on story and adventuring and suffered for it.

I really don't understand Miyamoto's reasoning for cutting story stuff. Maybe he's just unaware that the characters and story were 90% of the reason the first two games were remembered fondly at all. Then again most of his comments to the press recently seem to be "yea they had this weird mechanic and I didn't understand it so I had them cut it".

I dunno. Maybe they shouldn't let the old guy who's more interested in gardening than playing games make major design decisions anymore. Criticizing Miyamoto is probably ridiculous but there you go.

The Monarch fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 13, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Edge gives real reviews, so a five from them merely means "average" instead of "abominable and unplayable mess."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Well that's the thing though -- if you go read the Sticker Star Iwata Asks, IntSys had "just what they did in TTYD" running on the 3DS, but then Miyamoto came along and told them they should cut that back and do something entirely different instead, using only characters that appeared in early Mario games (read: SMB1).

I didn't know Wiggler and Kamek were from Mario 1.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Well this is the first time I've had bad feelings directed at Miyamoto. Wow that is really lovely.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wasn't interested in Sticker Star until I heard it was nothing like TTYD :v:

katkillad2 posted:

Currently purchases made on the Wii U are tied to the console. I believe they are talking about allowing access to the Wii U shop from cell phones and whatnot, so maybe when that happens they move to an account system possibly.

As long as you don't sell or trade in your Wii U, there's usually a way to make sure you keep your digital content.

Edit: In case you just got your Wii U, make sure you register it on Club Nintendo. You earn coins that can be used for virtual console games in Wii mode or other physical items. For example if you register your Wii U, you can currently get Super Punch-Out for snes or Mario Tenis for N64 and these games change every month.
Effectively the same but a bit off, purchases are tied to the account but the account is tied to the console.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Playing through The World Ends With You again on the DS and I realized that if Square ever wanted to make a largescale version on a console, the Wii-U pad is loving perfect. I guess it'd make more sense just keeping it on the 3DS but it'd still be goddamn cool to have it be a massive online thing with swipe battles and poo poo flying everywhere in glorious HD. Too bad Square's going to be too busy developing another shitfest with Brooding Pink-Haired Jerk, Part 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well this is the first time I've had bad feelings directed at Miyamoto. Wow that is really lovely.

At last Nintendo fans have their own "paint the truck red."

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Nintendo makes every NSMB game similar and people complain it's the same stuff over and over. Nintendo does something different with paper mario and people complain it's not the same.

japtor posted:

Effectively the same but a bit off, purchases are tied to the account but the account is tied to the console.

There definitely seems to be some sort of account system since purchases on the Wii U are recognized by Club Nintendo and the deluxe rewards website, but there was that article a while back of someone who bought a used Wii U and was able to download the previously purchased games from it even though the previous owner wiped their info from the system, so that's why I was saying things are basically tied to the console.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 13, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Playing through The World Ends With You again on the DS and I realized that if Square ever wanted to make a largescale version on a console, the Wii-U pad is loving perfect. I guess it'd make more sense just keeping it on the 3DS but it'd still be goddamn cool to have it be a massive online thing with swipe battles and poo poo flying everywhere in glorious HD. Too bad Square's going to be too busy developing another shitfest with Brooding Pink-Haired Jerk, Part 2.

It should be The World Ends Wii U except I'm lazy

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

katkillad2 posted:

Nintendo makes every NSMB game similar and people complain it's the same stuff over and over. Nintendo does something different with paper mario and people complain it's not the same.

While the console ones are very fun, I hope there are no more NSMB games. I can't believe they used the exact same template four times. Most of the sound track in NSMBU isn't even changed from NSMBWii.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

While the console ones are very fun, I hope there are no more NSMB games. I can't believe they used the exact same template four times. Most of the sound track in NSMBU isn't even changed from NSMBWii.

Yeah, I'm definitely NSMB'ed out. If Nintendo releases another one in the next three years I'm probably going to pass on it for a while. I'll play it eventually but I'm willing to wait a few more years.

OTOH, if they announce Super Mario Galaxy U for Christmas I'll preorder that...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Playing through The World Ends With You again on the DS and I realized that if Square ever wanted to make a largescale version on a console, the Wii-U pad is loving perfect.

Only if you ignore the risk of neck-breaking trying to watch both screens at once.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Only if you ignore the risk of neck-breaking trying to watch both screens at once.

I feel like this about every game that forces me to look at the pad. There's nothing comfortable about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KimT posted:

It should be The World Ends Wii U except I'm lazy

I can't wait until this ends up a headline on some game site.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Guys, you know there's only one New Super Mario Bros. game per console? Right? Unless Nintendo comes out with the 4DS this year, it's very unlikely there'll be another NSMB.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I've nailed it: Miiverse comments are like G-rated YouTube comments.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Raserys posted:

Guys, you know there's only one New Super Mario Bros. game per console? Right? Unless Nintendo comes out with the 4DS this year, it's very unlikely there'll be another NSMB.

New Super Luigi U might as well be a new NSMB game, and I wouldn't be surprised if they price it like one too.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Game & Wario Discussion: Choke on the cock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSA0RhbakoA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't really get why they made Wii Play 2 and decided to call it "Game & Wario" but as long as there is a decent selection of microgames in the Warioware mode I might give it a look.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Square-Enix is bringing some unannounced Wii U game to PAX East.

I'm gonna guess it's like a re-release of something, like I dunno Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Or FF13? Maybe it's something new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Policenaut posted:

Square-Enix is bringing some unannounced Wii U game to PAX East.

I'm gonna guess it's like a re-release of something, like I dunno Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Or FF13? Maybe it's something new!

Obviously it's gonna be the Final Fantasy 7 remake and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. Time to go spread the word on all the message boards.

• Locked thread