Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Robert Analog posted:

If they do a Caesar spinoff I hope it's just him brutally owning people like he did Tiberius in this episode. I would watch that.

That's Caesar's life right up 'till the very end so all they would just have to do is to follow history, starting from showing the middle finger to the most fearsome Roman dictator at that point...when Julius was sixteen. Seriously, most people only know about the Gallic wars and the stabbing, missing out the point that he was awesome pretty much from the day he was born. No wonder that he takes everything that appears in the show in total stride, his whole existence had been like ten seasons of the same.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah he certainly was born for greatness.

Greeks, pirates, gauls, celts, pompey magnus... he knew how to unfuck a situation.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can't wait when the Caesar spin-off starts and we get his version of the events.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
A Caesar spinoff by this director has every chance of being ten times more awesome than Spartacus already is. I don't think TV could handle the awesome.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

A Caesar spinoff by this director has every chance of being ten times more awesome than Spartacus already is. I don't think TV could handle the awesome.

Imagine the assassination scene done in Spartacus style.

Caesar chokes out some Senators with MMA while being stabbed in slow motion

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

When Cicero, who was consul that year, exposed Catiline's conspiracy to seize control of the republic, Catulus and others accused Caesar of involvement in the plot. Caesar, who had been elected praetor for the following year, took part in the debate in the Senate on how to deal with the conspirators. During the debate, Caesar was passed a note. Marcus Porcius Cato, who would become his most implacable political opponent, accused him of corresponding with the conspirators, and demanded that the message be read aloud. Caesar passed him the note, which, embarrassingly, turned out to be a love letter from Cato's half-sister Servilia.

I'd love to see them Spartacus up that letter. Get some major c-words in there and all that. Of course to end with Cato jumping over the Senate benches in slow motion at Caesar while roaring and tossing aside other senators.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rocksicles posted:

yeah he certainly was born for greatness.

Greeks, pirates, gauls, celts, pompey magnus... he knew how to unfuck a situation.
He was probably too trusting of making old enemies new allies, at least that's what I learned in school.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

achillesforever6 posted:

He was probably too trusting of making old enemies new allies, at least that's what I learned in school.

His only weakness.

Good thing his heir removed that one. Final "gently caress you" from Caesar behind the grave. Everyone was like "Why did he choose this weak kid as his successor?" while his ghost was laughing all the way to godhood.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

etalian posted:

Imagine the assassination scene done in Spartacus style.

Caesar chokes out some Senators with MMA while being stabbed in slow motion

Oh man I have such a murder boner at thethought of a scene like this. Brad Caesar is easily my favorite newcomer.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

If they do end up doing a Caesar spinoff, then they should probably just keep going through Augustus at least to Caligula. Caligula's reign would make some good tv.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ron Don Volante posted:

If they do end up doing a Caesar spinoff, then they should probably just keep going through Augustus at least to Caligula. Caligula's reign would make some good tv.

I'd LOVE to see Augustus' reign. I wonder why no show has covered it yet? Rome only covered its beginnings.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MrHat posted:

The hosed up thing is that the Romans had such an advanced legal system that the owner of the slave could prosecute for damage to property if one of their slaves was raped (without the consent of their owner).

One somewhat more depressing note, the landmark ruling in british law about jettisoning cargo to save a ship during a storm was as a result of a slave ship throwing slaves over board to lighten their load.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
While a Caesar spinoff would definitely be so rich with brutality and dope ultra-burns as to be artery-clogging, I am still really intrigued about DeKnight's new thing he mentioned, some kind of sci-fi space-marine thing in a similar style to Spartacus. Anyone heard anything about that lately?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

While a Caesar spinoff would definitely be so rich with brutality and dope ultra-burns as to be artery-clogging, I am still really intrigued about DeKnight's new thing he mentioned, some kind of sci-fi space-marine thing in a similar style to Spartacus. Anyone heard anything about that lately?

That sounds absolutely loving amazing. My face literally made the :stare: expression

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, someone did mention Gannicus escaping in the end and traveling through time...

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Y'know, I'm kinda wishing that they'd just say "gently caress history" at some point and have the rebellion succeed, and the last shot of the series is Rome in flames as Spartacus's eyes reflect the flames. I'm not sure I want to see my merry band of gladiators that could start dropping like flies in the next few episodes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hipster Occultist posted:

Y'know, I'm kinda wishing that they'd just say "gently caress history" at some point and have the rebellion succeed, and the last shot of the series is Rome in flames as Spartacus's eyes reflect the flames. I'm not sure I want to see my merry band of gladiators that could start dropping like flies in the next few episodes.
Whatever they do, I hope it's awesome. If they kill Spartacus I want it to be something absolutely cartoonish, like artillery setting him on fire as he charges forward unimpeded so you have a flaming Spartacus decapitating Tiberius while setting a few other people on fire

I want them to bring a 9 year old special consultant

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Wait.

What if Brad Caesar lets Gannicus live and they become best-buds? We could have a Starz spinoff with the tales of Brad Caesar and Gannicus (and Sibyl) :black101:

Of course, Spartacus, and probably Crixus and Agron, still have to die. But I'm willing to sacrifice them to have Naevia finally killed after the poo poo she's pulled this season.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Wait.

What if Brad Caesar lets Gannicus live and they become best-buds? We could have a Starz spinoff with the tales of Brad Caesar and Gannicus (and Sibyl) :black101:

I'm pretty sure that at some point Caesar will get Gannicus a Roman passport with the name Marc Anthony on it. Then they go and steal all the women in the world.

They probably tag team Cleopatra at some point too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Whatever they do, I hope it's awesome. If they kill Spartacus I want it to be something absolutely cartoonish, like artillery setting him on fire as he charges forward unimpeded so you have a flaming Spartacus decapitating Tiberius while setting a few other people on fire

I want them to bring a 9 year old special consultant

I will settle for no less then Jupiter's cock to come down from the heavens with Batiatus riding it and crushing both Crassus and Spartacus.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'd LOVE to see Augustus' reign. I wonder why no show has covered it yet? Rome only covered its beginnings.

Watch I, Claudius.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Watch I, Claudius.

Which covered it's end. :haw:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

I will settle for no less then Jupiter's cock to come down from the heavens with Batiatus riding it and crushing both Crassus and Spartacus.

I'm imaging something along the lines of Dr Strangelove and I couldn't be more excited.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ron Don Volante posted:

That's fine and all, but Spartacus'd http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_Four_Emperors would be the best TV.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Like said before...showrunners get a blank check and an order of ten twenty seasons of show titled "Rome 2: The Cock Never Stops Raging" They can start from say, the Punic Wars and end with barbarians taking Rome (or Ottomans taking Constantinople if you are inclined). They can even save in the costs by re-airing Spartacus as seasons 8-10!

Also, the Crisis of Third Century was Year of the Four Emperors times fifty:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_the_Third_Century

New Emperor in every episode!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I demand a Spartacus'd version of the Third Crusade and King Richard the Lionheart.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Gonz posted:

I demand a Spartacus'd version of the Third Crusade and King Richard the Lionheart.

Only properly accurate if he talks with an outrageous French accent.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
hell I'd watch a Spartacus'd version of The Brotherhood of the Travelling Toga

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Hipster Occultist posted:

I know this is a common sentiment on here, but an ending like that would really take away something of the story for me. Part of the intrigue that got me hooked onto this show when it first aired was knowing how it would have to end, and watching how these doomed characters would make the decisions that would set them on that path.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It all really comes down to whether or not they'll have Pompey show up in the final episode.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Phylodox posted:

Well, someone did mention Gannicus escaping in the end and traveling through time...
Dustin Claire should star in that deKnight sci-fi series and as Gannicus and loving all the ladies and dual-wielding laser shotguns or laser swords or something. And maybe also cast Ellen Hollman (Saxa) for extra awesome.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just found out Laeta was the blonde girl who gets killed in Cabin in the Woods. Kinda blew my mind.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sober posted:

Dustin Claire should star in that deKnight sci-fi series and as Gannicus and loving all the ladies and dual-wielding laser shotguns or laser swords or something. And maybe also cast Ellen Hollman (Saxa) for extra awesome.

It wouldn't be lasers, as that wouldn't create the blood spatter you want. You want to go with gauss rifles so you can watch the projectiles explode out of the back of people.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

Just found out Laeta was the blonde girl who gets killed in Cabin in the Woods. Kinda blew my mind.

I knew she looked familiar. drat.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Phylodox posted:

Well spoilers!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Phylodox posted:

From college girl/high school girl? to relatively middle age upper class housewife :staredog: and she's only 27.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

vyst posted:

From college girl/high school girl? to relatively middle age upper class housewife :staredog: and she's only 27.

Take note that she was only 23/24 when Cabin was filmed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sober posted:

Well DeKnight described his next pilot sell as a Halo type setting except with over the top Spartacus style and adult themes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
DeKnight, you've done it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

This episode ruled. This show rules. I have no idea how sparty is gonna get out of this but hopefully he kills a ton of Romans.

Caesar is indeed a badass, but I feel they knocked Crassus WAY further outta the park. Dude just has the face of the richest man in the world.

• Locked thread