Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
The tournament over the weekend was a huge success. Lots of fun for everyone involved and, most importantly, I got asked to ref a bunch of games with no experience or training. I don't think I'm going to give as much poo poo to the refs at my place after that, even if I am friendly with a lot of them. Hats off to Topo and anyone else in this thread that refs.

I feel like a wimp but after ~14 hours of hockey this weekend I'm skipping my game tonight. I'm just beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We have 7 skaters for tonight's meaningless consolation game and one guy is threatening to stay at home if I play in net. What a baby. Go go serious beer league.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

cenzo posted:

Iceline is a good facility, I know the guy that runs the leagues up there. Maybe I'll drop by to see some games.

I usually wear 21 or 25, have a white helmet and Penguin color gloves (surprise) and suck hard.

Oh and I play for the Minnesota Warriors.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We have 7 skaters for tonight's meaningless consolation game and one guy is threatening to stay at home if I play in net. What a baby. Go go serious beer league.

One day, your knees will give out, your back will ache, your heart will barely keep you alive and your fingers will be so ridden with arthritis that you cannot tie your skate laces. That day, and that day alone, should you stay home and not play hockey.

gently caress him.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^gently caress that, somebody else can tie my skates for me then. I'll have earned it. :colbert:

Thufir posted:

I had a funny/embarrassing moment during warmups at my last game. I was skating and went to dig a puck off the boards and managed to wedge my stick blade in the zamboni door, speared myself in the gut, and collapsed in a heap. Managed to not break the stick at least.

It's impressive that you didn't break the stick, I think that's the leading cause of stick-breaking in wobbly hockey (certainly isn't anyone's shots).

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Topoisomerase posted:

It's impressive that you didn't break the stick, I think that's the leading cause of stick-breaking in wobbly hockey (certainly isn't anyone's shots).

Poor gate seals > two-handed slashes (for and against) > improper handling outside of the rink >>>>>>>>> that big clapper from the point

Beer league :allears:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

oddIXIbbo posted:

One day, your knees will give out, your back will ache, your heart will barely keep you alive and your fingers will be so ridden with arthritis that you cannot tie your skate laces. That day, and that day alone, should you stay home and not play hockey.

gently caress him.

Why isn't he backchecking?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Scored my first goal last night at an organized adult hockey thing. Only took 5 weeks but it was the best part of my week so far. Made me feel so :D and :3: .

This coincides with me dropping down to a shorter stick. I usually use a jr size stick. This was following that cut the stick site's guidelines and I cut a full size stick down to my shoulders when I'm on skates. Huge control difference but the flex is now like, 125. :gonk:

Can anyone give me a little review on the Reebok 11k shoulders, Bauer Supreme TotalOne shoulders, or Easton Stealth RS shoulders? I've been using the 2 piece Reebok system for the past 8 months and wanna switch up to a one piece system. Don't want the shoulder caps to be too bulky but I also want some decent protection and flexibility.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Scored my first goal last night at an organized adult hockey thing. Only took 5 weeks but it was the best part of my week so far. Made me feel so :D and :3: .

This coincides with me dropping down to a shorter stick. I usually use a jr size stick. This was following that cut the stick site's guidelines and I cut a full size stick down to my shoulders when I'm on skates. Huge control difference but the flex is now like, 125. :gonk:

Can anyone give me a little review on the Reebok 11k shoulders, Bauer Supreme TotalOne shoulders, or Easton Stealth RS shoulders? I've been using the 2 piece Reebok system for the past 8 months and wanna switch up to a one piece system. Don't want the shoulder caps to be too bulky but I also want some decent protection and flexibility.

If you have to cut the stick that much you probably should just buy an intermediate in the first place. Save ten bucks, easier to get less stiff flex

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

oddIXIbbo posted:

At what point do you guys call it enough and take a break for a week to let your body heal?

I currently have sore ribs and knees from the car accident, a sore hand from a slash, a sore groin from endless stride drills, sore arms from shot drills, and sore shoulders from a nasty fall I took toepicking on a transition.

Closest I've been so far to skipping a week. I'll probably still go to my next skate (Thursday) but right now I'm on the wire.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

At what point do you guys call it enough and take a break for a week to let your body heal?

My body can ache no problem and I will go play a game. When actual pain sets in that's when I take a break. Especially knee pain. I would rather take time off to be able to continue playing for years to come

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
My team had a good come from behind win last night against some former teammates. We were getting working in the first and second periods, losing every puck battle in our zone and their zone but we were only down 3-2 after two. It ends up being 5-3 with about 4 minutes and change left when we finally found our legs and start winning some races and battles. I set up my D man with a wide open look in the slot from behind the net to make it 5-4, then tie it up myself on a backhander off of a rebound then we take the lead 6-5 all within 2-3 minutes. We get the empty netter with about a minute left and they actually get another goal with 20 seconds or so. 7-6 win in a game where we only played about 6 solid minutes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I take a break when I am injured, not when I am hurt.

And for the shoulder pads question, both the RS and TotalOne are gonna be bulky. They are top of the line pads with "the most protection". Look cheaper if you want less bulky.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those Sherwood "classic" or whatever shoulder pads are all anyone really needs for beer league. Put the that extra $$ into ice time or a better stick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Those Sherwood "classic" or whatever shoulder pads are all anyone really needs for beer league. Put the that extra $$ into ice time or a better stick.

I'm wearing bauer "classic style" and I thought they were fine until I fell last night. Which is to say they're great 99% of the time, but for that 1% where you suddenly find your legs in the air a little bit of cushion when you land flat on your back would be really nice.

So I'm perusing stuff on various gear websites to see if there's anything I like.. I don't want ridiculous bulky pads, but a little more than I got now. Plus, new gloves, as the palms on my entry level mitts are getting holes now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I'm wearing bauer "classic style" and I thought they were fine until I fell last night. Which is to say they're great 99% of the time, but for that 1% where you suddenly find your legs in the air a little bit of cushion when you land flat on your back would be really nice.

So I'm perusing stuff on various gear websites to see if there's anything I like.. I don't want ridiculous bulky pads, but a little more than I got now. Plus, new gloves, as the palms on my entry level mitts are getting holes now.

No set of pads, even the ones with cool colors and a giant price tag, will keep you from getting occasional bumps and bruises. If you are wanting 100% protection from all acts of god and hockey you may have look into a sealed metal bubble or a deflector shield of some sort.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Of course not, I wasn't thinking it would.

But it's simple physics, the more time you can spend decelerating, the less force the body is going to have to absorb. The half-centimeter of foam like material I currently got doesn't slow down poo poo.

If I can find something with a tiny bit of padding without being over the top bulky, why not consider it? :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What he's saying is that the little padding you're looking for is over the top bulky.

If you want padding around your core just get a padded shirt or something. The padding you're looking for on a shoulderpad is going to come with fuckoff big shoulder caps ( I know because I bought a set on sale and I'm dumb ).

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I agree with the above.

Something like this is probably what you're really after. http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Senior_Padded_Shirts/catpage-HSRPADSH.html

I too bought a set of shoulders looking for a little extra and now I look like a football lineman.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

delpheye posted:

Something like this is probably what you're really after. http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Senior_Padded_Shirts/catpage-HSRPADSH.html

Totally gonna buy the goalie one. :haw:

Poking around it doesn't look like there's anything better than what I already have without being ridiculously bulky, so I'll just stick with what I got, and if I fall again, file it under valuable life experience.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I just picked up a step up from the bottom level Bauer shoulder pads just to cover me and protect me from sticks random pucks, and the occasional slip and fall. Not even remotely bulky and they give me a lot of flexibility, not to mention theyre cheap. They work very well in non checking beer league.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

What he's saying is that the little padding you're looking for is over the top bulky.

If you want padding around your core just get a padded shirt or something. The padding you're looking for on a shoulderpad is going to come with fuckoff big shoulder caps ( I know because I bought a set on sale and I'm dumb ).

I have the Farrell shoulders with the foam cubes, I don't feel like they're too bulky. Mine may technically be the lacrosse model and possibly also junior, if that makes a difference, and I wear them with most of the velcro hard plastic bits removed (usually I'll leave the shoulder caps on just so that it's obvious to any inquiring officials that I'm wearing something). It's basically perfect for beer league as long as I don't get a slap shot to the boob.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh man, I don't know what was more fun at today's drop-in: Poke checking a CHL defenseman and burying the subsequent breakaway; or body checking Joe Thornton's brother.

Some days everything just clicks. I think it might have been my sweet camo jersey that did it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Looks like my brother in law (AHL/KHL/NHL) and my sister decided to split so now my never ending supply of pro sticks and gear has come to an end. Sucks as far as family issues go but they weren't very happy.

Apparently I can have whatever is left in the house (sticks, team bags, skates, gloves, helmets, visors).

Good thing I stocked up on Reebok 11ks and Eason S19s while I had the chance. 10 years of pro gear was eventually going to come to an end, just figured it would be when he retired.

Anything I get that doesn't fit I will toss on here if anyone is interested.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
This is my interested face! haha :allears:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, we closed the books on our Silver team for good last night with a 4-2 win against the shithead ringer team no one likes. Who also beat us in the Bronze championship last season.

I got a pretty trollish goal too. Came off the bench and my D-man immediately threw a home run pass to me as I was sitting on their blue line. Went past me, off the boards and bounced back. Everyone thought it was icing so no one chased except me. I had a terrible angle and the goalie went down. I put a changeup chipshot in the 2 inch window over his near shoulder and nailed the inside crossbar. No one thought it went in except me and the ref and everyone thought it was going to be icing. They were mad to say the least.

On our next goal, I skated by the net to turn around and the goalie slashed me in the leg and called me a cherry picker. Tell your team to play defense bro.

:feelsgood:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 12, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Nice work, thats how I felt when our team won the championship 2 seasons ago. The team we played was the reigning 3 year champs full of ringers and dudes who play really cheap. We had to play a double header that night, and the final game was of course the last one. We were gassed but it forced us to play slow and make better passes.

Also, it helps when your team keeps their heads straight and draws penalties like crazy.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Sherwood Traditionals or bust.

Big shoulder pads will give you a concussion.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

On our next goal, I skated by the net to turn around and the goalie slashed me in the leg and called me a cherry picker. Tell your team to play defense bro.

Tell him "They don't ask how. They ask how many." :smug:

(Was it icing? You can tell us.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Looks like my brother in law (AHL/KHL/NHL) and my sister decided to split so now my never ending supply of pro sticks and gear has come to an end. Sucks as far as family issues go but they weren't very happy.

Apparently I can have whatever is left in the house (sticks, team bags, skates, gloves, helmets, visors).

Good thing I stocked up on Reebok 11ks and Eason S19s while I had the chance. 10 years of pro gear was eventually going to come to an end, just figured it would be when he retired.

Sorry to hear about the fam issues. Anything that doesn't fit you or that you don't like I'd like a crack at please and thanks.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Guarantee to be bad with that + no AC running.

That's a big reason why if you're going to skate around a professional game, do it before the game.

And don't skate in TX.

I got to skate at Pepsi Center before a game and the ice was incredible. We get to skate at the local AHL arena in Austin quite often (weekly) and the ice is rather good. Meanwhile, the other sheet is so cut up you can hardly see the lines. So yeah, don't skate in Texas.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Tell him "They don't ask how. They ask how many." :smug:

(Was it icing? You can tell us.)

It was just outside the reach of a couple players, including myself, since it was a laser pass on the ice. I don't really know what the official rules for waving off icing are like the back of my hand, but it really could have gone either way. I would not have been surprised if it was called, but was a little surprised that it wasn't.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

It was just outside the reach of a couple players, including myself, since it was a laser pass on the ice. I don't really know what the official rules for waving off icing are like the back of my hand, but it really could have gone either way. I would not have been surprised if it was called, but was a little surprised that it wasn't.

That league is blue line icing. If the puck could have reasonably been played by a non-goalie member of the non-offending team but wasn't, at any point before it crosses the goal line (including being lazy chasing it down), icing will not be called. If it was in the air or hopped someone's stick or something icing should still be called. In USA Hockey and most adult leagues, if the player who flung the puck down 'sweeps the line' with the stick it will not be icing, even if the puck was released from behind the line. Obviously shorthanded situations, deflections by the opposing team at any point or the offending team beyond the blue line, or the goalie playing the puck lead to washing out a potential icing call. In the NHL, there's a judgement call about attainable passes, but USA Hockey doesn't really recognize that.

Maybe the ref was calling touch icing in beer league and wants you all to kill each other in futile races for the puck. :haw:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Verman posted:

:allears: Also interested.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
I never understood the aversion to bulk in pads. Mobility I could see but bulk I don't get.
I own x:60 shoulder pads. I probably don't need them, but I am a gear whore and I do appreciate basically not feeling anything when I fall (which happens a lot). They might be bulky, but my mobility is basically unimpeded and I felt no difference in playing with those on versus the cheaper pads I owned before.

All of the high level pads these days seem to have excellent mobility so the only reason I see bulk as being an issue is that it makes you look bigger. Are were really that vain as a group or is there something I'm missing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm already fat for real, I don't need my pads to make me look fatter. :colbert:

But for real, I just assumed there was a tradeoff for wearing gear that has more padding. Stuff hurts less, but it's harder to move. None of this is based off any actual information, just assumptions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have the x:60s because they were on super clearance and my previous shoulders were often mistaken for football pads.

Next time you go to stick time, don't wear them. See how you feel when you skate, move the puck, etc. I bet there's a difference. There certainly is to me.

For bonus, take off your cage if you wear one.

There are trade offs for just about everything, it sometimes just takes a while to realize them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I skated without any shoulder pads in the summer, because it was hot as poo poo and with my fitness levels at the time I would be seeing spots halfway through a hard skate. Pads off meant I cooled off easier.

But since my LTP is USA Hockey certified, full pads are required and they don't let anyone cut corners, so I wear them full time just to stay used to it.

Didn't notice any improvements with or without, other than the sweet breeze coming through the jersey as I skated around. But again, my current set is paper thin.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I got these my sophomore year in High School:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~streetw/Kit%20pages/Player/Shoulders/WwSP790.htm

They are Adult Small, and they just now fit me properly. Before that, I had my next-door neighbor's old shoulder pads, which were red, white and black, and had actual plastic shoulder cups dangling about. They reminded me of football shoulder pads. I doubt I'll ever replace the Winnwells unless I somehow outgrow them.

I'm also sticking with my old Easton Z-Air pants too. I like the lower back/tailbone protection it has, and I trust my rear end to them.

http://i.imgur.com/ii0Eu08.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

sellouts posted:

I have the x:60s because they were on super clearance and my previous shoulders were often mistaken for football pads.

Next time you go to stick time, don't wear them. See how you feel when you skate, move the puck, etc. I bet there's a difference. There certainly is to me.

For bonus, take off your cage if you wear one.

There are trade offs for just about everything, it sometimes just takes a while to realize them.

I don't wear shoulders to stick time. I've never felt an appreciable difference.

Well I guess I felt like I was wearing less padding but I felt no difference in mobility. I have never felt like my x: 60s have ever stopped me from doing exactly what I wanted to do in terms of skating or stick handling or anything. My lack of skill and ability, sure, but never my shoulder pads.