Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Casual Racism is the quaintest kind of racism. Probably tied with Magical Negro Racism and 80's Evening at The Improv Black People Drive Like This/White People Drive Like That Racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I hope they don't fudge facts about the cars, because that just doesn't seem proper.

They do. In the case of the electric car episode they famously pretended it ran out of power and pushed it around for laughs. When the manufacturer complained (apparently they had installed monitoring software in the car and released the data, proving the Top Gear skit a work of fiction) the hosts just shrugged it off.

That's really why I stopped watching the show, because although I'm not really invested in the whole electric car debate, their humor isn't good enough on its own without being grounded in some kind of fact. Sure, it's cool to think of them putting a Range Rover against a tank, but if the whole thing is made up from the start what value does it have?

Basically Top Gear is Man vs Wild with cars, and Jeremy Clarkson is a way more likable Bear Grills. If that bothers you (it bothers me) then don't watch it.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Make sure you say which Top Gear you're talking about, the two are VERY different.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Top Gear UK is basically the car equivalent of Mythbusters.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Sarchasm posted:

They do. In the case of the electric car episode they famously pretended it ran out of power and pushed it around for laughs. When the manufacturer complained (apparently they had installed monitoring software in the car and released the data, proving the Top Gear skit a work of fiction) the hosts just shrugged it off.

That's really why I stopped watching the show, because although I'm not really invested in the whole electric car debate, their humor isn't good enough on its own without being grounded in some kind of fact. Sure, it's cool to think of them putting a Range Rover against a tank, but if the whole thing is made up from the start what value does it have?

Basically Top Gear is Man vs Wild with cars, and Jeremy Clarkson is a way more likable Bear Grills. If that bothers you (it bothers me) then don't watch it.

Jeremey Clarckson? Likable? :aslol:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The problem with the stuff they make up is that it obscures the value of the stuff they don't, because they don't bother to draw a line between the two. For instance, by all accounts they really did drive a truck to the magnetic north pole (or at least close to it). But you'd be forgiven for wondering how much of it was real or how much danger they were really in, given how much they've made up in the past.

And there is real danger associated with at least some of the stunts they do, as Top Gear Korea helpfully demonstrated recently when trying to replicate one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked the show where they responded to a viewer complaint about not enough reviews of "normal" cars by driving a Ford Fiesta through a shopping mall and then a beach landing with it loaded with royal marines. The cars they normally review are so far out of my price range anyway any objectivity on their part is wasted!

It's a silly but completely entertaining show. I'd go for beers with any and all of the hosts.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's also fake as hell, so if that affects your enjoyment of the show (or, in the case of the electric car episode, your opinion on real-world issues) then viewer beware I guess.

I don't know if fake is the right word. They certainly stage everything, but I don't think they fake it. When they talk about "the best of ____" you know that everything is already staged. They're all going to make fun of each other's cars, the competitions are all set up to be drat close, the contests are all rigged to satisfy whatever views the hosts themselves have, and on and on. But the part about it that I like is they don't hide it! They are unabashedly opinionated. I don't live in England so I can't comment as to how political the congestion charge is, all the taxes associated with cars for lack of space, double-tall buses in London, or whatever else they talk about...but I can tell you that I find it refreshing. Clearly these 3 hosts enjoy the piss out of what they are doing, and they are entertaining as hell while they do it!

Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
Netflix seems to have changed movie and TV show descriptions so it has the movie or show's tagline. It's really bizarre.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I just double checked and if anyone is looking to get into Top Gear, it looks like the Netflix Canada stream has the most episodes available. The UK and the US go from about season 7 to 18, but Netflix Canada goes from season 2 to 18.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just double checked and if anyone is looking to get into Top Gear, it looks like the Netflix Canada stream has the most episodes available. The UK and the US go from about season 7 to 18, but Netflix Canada goes from season 2 to 18.

US goes from 2 to 17. I know because I've been rewatching Top Gear these past few weeks.

It really is an amazing show and should be watched. The "faking" doesn't matter nearly as much as people are claiming, because they mostly use it to set up fun bits.

Everyone potentially interested should take a look at this clip where Jeremy Clarkson tests the Reliant Robin, a three-wheeled car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bIn_ZgHJaE

It sent some people into a tizzy because THEY STAGED SOME OF THOSE CRASHES! THOSE CELEBRITIES WERE ASKED TO APPEAR ON THE SHOW AND DIDN'T REALLY NATURALLY WALK BY! and so on

This is Top Gear. It's fun with cars.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

This is Top Gear. It's fun with cars.

And man, does the show just plain look and sound great sometimes. Great production value.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And man, does the show just plain look and sound great sometimes. Great production value.

Yeah, that it does. Except when they're trying to film wildlife :v:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

I think that is one of my favorite bits they have done recently.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't care about cars that much but man the shots they setup for them are absolutely beautiful. Personally, I don't care if the different things they do are staged, I just enjoy watching them be idiots. Though, the whole racist thing in Alabama part was probably pretty true, I used live about 20 minutes from that gas station. I could definitely see it happening.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I don't know when it became available, but The American Astronaut is up for streaming now. You should watch it. It's a gorgeous black and white labor of love that was made almost entirely by hand by Cory McAbee to showcase his one-man band The Billy Nayer Show, and it's way better than that would suggest. It's got a halfway raygun gothic, halfway western aesthetic and the characters are just so endearing. I loved this film so much after seeing it the first time that I had to special order a DVD from the director's store (it's hard to get anywhere else), and I very rarely pay full price for a DVD.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

This movie has the weirdest game of baseball I have ever seen...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anybody mentioned that Compliance is streaming?

It's basically the story of that girl like 10 years ago that was strip searched at work by her McDonalds manager and sexually assaulted by the manager's fiancé.

I went into it thinking that there was no way it would come off believable (even though it all really happened, almost exactly as its shown in the movie)

It's really well done and extremely creepy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Canned Panda posted:

This movie has the weirdest game of baseball I have ever seen...

Well it's worth watching since I can't think of any other movies that have JCVD beating the tar out of a hockey mascot.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
You guys should check out Bunk. The first episode is terrible. The episodes afterwards are much better. I don't know how I feel about the series as a whole but I'm on episode four and I feel compelled to keep watching so I'd say it's at least worth a look.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't know when it became available, but The American Astronaut is up for streaming now. You should watch it. It's a gorgeous black and white labor of love that was made almost entirely by hand by Cory McAbee to showcase his one-man band The Billy Nayer Show, and it's way better than that would suggest. It's got a halfway raygun gothic, halfway western aesthetic and the characters are just so endearing. I loved this film so much after seeing it the first time that I had to special order a DVD from the director's store (it's hard to get anywhere else), and I very rarely pay full price for a DVD.

This is a fantastic movie, in addition Stingray Sam is also by Cory McAbee. It is similar, but with somewhat more humor.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Jeremey Clarckson? Likable? :aslol:

Compared to Bear Grills? Absolutely.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Magnus Gallant posted:

You guys should check out Bunk. The first episode is terrible. The episodes afterwards are much better. I don't know how I feel about the series as a whole but I'm on episode four and I feel compelled to keep watching so I'd say it's at least worth a look.
I burned through the whole thing in a lazy afternoon about a week ago, and I'd say it's very dependent on the contestants.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I was hoping it was a Wire spin-off. :ohdear:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Magnus Gallant posted:

You guys should check out Bunk. The first episode is terrible. The episodes afterwards are much better.

That sounds good, because I checked out the first episode when it originally aired and it WAS terrible. I'll check out some more episodes, I guess!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

It's basically the story of that girl like 10 years ago that was strip searched at work by her McDonalds manager and sexually assaulted by the manager's fiancé.

I went into it thinking that there was no way it would come off believable (even though it all really happened, almost exactly as its shown in the movie)

It's the first time I've ever considered turning a movie off in the middle out of discomfort. I've never felt so awkward and disgusted watching a movie. It's very well made though and most of the cast is excellent.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's the first time I've ever considered turning a movie off in the middle out of discomfort. I've never felt so awkward and disgusted watching a movie. It's very well made though and most of the cast is excellent.

Yeah it's certainly not for everybody. The best way I can describe it is that feeling of dread you have in a drama or horror film when you know something bad is about to happen. It's like that, nonstop, for the last hour of the film.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Season 8 of Weeds just went up. This is apparently the last season?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Alex WS posted:

Yes it is. Still not sure what I think of the series Finale. It was...interesting.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Bunk's mildly funny and really short and non-serial so if you're bored and looking for a way to amuse yourself for an hour or two Bunk's fine.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

Bunk's mildly funny and really short and non-serial so if you're bored and looking for a way to amuse yourself for an hour or two Bunk's fine.

I feel like if they replaced the host with a comedian who was actually funny and wore shoes then the show would have been Gold. I want to see this show with the Comedy Bang Bang! bunch.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

Apparently this was helmed by one of the people who worked on Homestar Runner :stare:

pr0p posted:

I was hoping it was a Wire spin-off. :ohdear:

Wait a few years, Bunkpunk will be the new Steampunk. Everyone smoking fat cigars and wearing long coats and poo poo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kithyen posted:

Yes it is. Still not sure what I think of the series Finale. It was...interesting.

As someone who begrudgingly watched the show past season three until the end of season seven, I can't bring myself to suffer anymore pain. But I still must know. Could you spoiler for me how the final (likely awful) season goes?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Magnus Gallant posted:

I feel like if they replaced the host with a comedian who was actually funny and wore shoes then the show would have been Gold. I want to see this show with the Comedy Bang Bang! bunch.

The games themselves, while conceptually very funny, were not especially conducive to improv comedy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alex WS posted:

Nobody watch this. It's even more mediocre than you could imagine :negative:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Nobody watch this. It's even more mediocre than you could imagine :negative:
Weeds is the show that made me think that Breaking Bad would have to suck. Because if you can't sustain a show about suburban drug sellers/manufacturers on SHOWTIME, how could it work on basic cable?

The real lesson I learned from Weeds is that you should never watch a Showtime show past the second season. Something just goes horribly wrong.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

casa de mi padre posted:

The real lesson I learned from Weeds is that you should never watch a Showtime show past the second season. Something just goes horribly wrong.

Season 4 of Dexter was really good and so was uh..

Well, I guess that's the only exception to the rule.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

casa de mi padre posted:

Weeds is the show that made me think that Breaking Bad would have to suck. Because if you can't sustain a show about suburban drug sellers/manufacturers on SHOWTIME, how could it work on basic cable?

I definitely agree. Weeds became incredibly ridiculous. How many times can the plot in the show start over? They had a cast of characters that didn't fit in every situation. How many times were Kevin Nealon and Elizabeth Perkins' characters useless because they didn't quite fit with the family in the new circumstances?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

casa de mi padre posted:

Excuse me, have you not seen Shameless? Not the garbage UK version, the stellar US version. Three seasons on Showtime and each is better than the last, plus it stars Bulma and Goku.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

scary ghost dog posted:

Excuse me, have you not seen Shameless? Not the garbage UK version, the stellar US version. Three seasons on Showtime and each is better than the last, plus it stars Bulma and Goku.
I haven't seen it, but I'm prepared to admit there's exceptions to the rule. Post here when it comes on Netflix and I will "try it out"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Magnus Gallant posted:

The host (Kurt Braunohler) actually toured with the Comedy Bang Bang live show and is a really funny guy. That show just hampers anyone who is on it.

• Locked thread