Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

With isometric RPGs I guess it's more that while multiplayer is something you can effectively build in from the get go and make work it's not really a core gameplay mechanic, thus with a small budget you either have to take resources away from developing the core experience or shoe-horn in a half-assed multiplayer. Both of which are things modern RPGs, and other games types, suffer from even with much larger budgets.

e: I also liked the Bard's Tale remake. It was a solid, fun game.

Not only that, but at the end of the day.... who gives a poo poo about multiplayer when it comes to isometric (c)rpgs?Who bought any games in the Fallout series, or Baldur's Gate series, or any other similar games, for their multiplayer? Or had this as a dealbreaker?

Nobody really wants them, very few people actually care about them, most people would never touch it in the first place.

I remember the first time I started to play Arcanum, all I could think was 'how sweet would it be if my and my bros could crack open up couple of beers and XBOX-live that poo poo :allears: '

It's not only removing resources from the main project for small developers, it's removing resources from the main project for something no one cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, nobody played Diablo 2 in multiplayer...

Also, I primarily played Baldur's Gate with friends. I didn't enjoy it as much in singleplayer.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Mordaedil posted:

Also, I primarily played Baldur's Gate with friends. I didn't enjoy it as much in singleplayer.

Really? You might genuinely be the first person I've ever seen saying that.

Look, I might be wrong, but in my personal experience those games are always about singeplayer not multiplayer, for those around me at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I remember people complaining about Dragon Age 1 not having multiplayer. I'm not going to care one iota if it doesn't have it, but someone always will.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Twee as gently caress posted:

Really? You might genuinely be the first person I've ever seen saying that.

Look, I might be wrong, but in my personal experience those games are always about singeplayer not multiplayer, for those around me at least.

It was pretty buggy, difficult to set up, but once you hit a certain stride, it's amazingly fun.

Just gotta be careful with how you handle pausing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If we're including paypal totals, the latest stretch goal has been met. Now for the long slog to 3 million.

Mordaedil posted:

Just gotta be careful with how you handle pausing.

If you pause, does that pause for everyone? RTwP doesn't really sound like the ideal system for a multiplayer game...

Schurik posted:

I asked inXile directly, this was their response...

Oh, and good to know. Thanks!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

If you pause, does that pause for everyone? RTwP doesn't really sound like the ideal system for a multiplayer game...

Of course it pauses for everyone.

Yes, it isn't ideal, but it's mostly the mage who needs to use the pause function for shifting through his spell list anyway, the cleric can at least prepare most of his "ohfuck" spells on the go and the fighter never needs to pause to do his job.

An added benefit is that you can assign pausing to a single person.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mordaedil posted:

I didn't enjoy [Baldur's Gate] as much in singleplayer.
1) Diablo by comparison was an unchanging story-less grind.

2) Youre in small company around here I think. :)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

1) Diablo by comparison was an unchanging story-less grind.

2) Youre in small company around here I think. :)

"As much" being emphasized here.

But then again, I tend to find most games more enjoyable with friends.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
We reached the $250,000 stretch goal already thanks to paypal!

We also finally got our 'apology'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwDWx1cAqP4

Want a refund :colbert:

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 12, 2013

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

CottonWolf posted:

If we're including paypal totals, the latest stretch goal has been met. Now for the long slog to 3 million.

We do include PayPal, and 2.5million has been passed. And Colin has apologized for the Big Book of Elves

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or does Colin McComb look like Lowtax if Lowtax shaved his head and grew a van dyke mustach?

Tell me its not just me, tell me im not going crazy here..

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

He looks like Lex Luthor to me. The big plot twist in Tides of Numenara will be that the guy who used your shell is actually Superman and you have to get rid of him once and for all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Or maybe...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Multiplayer would be a cool thing to do in an expansion for these new kickstarted CRPGs if they sell well, but it's totally reasonable that they're not on the table for the initial releases considering the budget constraints.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

doomfunk posted:

Is your beef with Fargo entirely due to the 2004 Bard's Tale being entirely unlike the previous games? Did that crap your day, oh so long ago? Are you bitter?

He wasted a whole sunday afternoon 10 years ago, and for that Brian Fargo shall suffer... FOREVER :argh:

edit: Please, no multiplayer in these games, ever. Sorry to disagree with you :S

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Twee as gently caress posted:

We also finally got our 'apology'

I know the whole thing's a joke, but that still felt like a terrible "well I'm sorry you got so butthurt"-style non-apology.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Veib posted:

I know the whole thing's a joke, but that still felt like a terrible "well I'm sorry you got so butthurt"-style non-apology.
He just didn't have the charisma to pull of the type of joke they were going for. Just came off as awkward.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked it. :shrug:

The time-lapse bit of him reading and the shot of him drinking should have been combined, though, with ever-more empty bottles appearing behind him as he read.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Veib posted:

He was totally right: if you're the DM, own that table son. Don't let some prissy elf player try to let a book lord over you. Elf-seeking rock falls, all elves die.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Has anyone drawn the comparison between this game's title and Numa Numa? Because I will be the one to make that comparison, if need be.

I'm in for $20.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
I think they should do a followup video of Colin McComb and Chris Avellone discussing elves.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I SAID LISTEN posted:

I think they should do a followup video of Colin McComb and Chris Avellone discussing elves.

JE. Sawyer for good measure?

EDIT: Image problems.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 12, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

That's quite a face.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

01011001 posted:

That's quite a face.

He just really likes elves.

Also that Bards Tale game was awesome.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Veib posted:

Yeah, sorry, terrible game design with a smarmy non-apology just made me cancel my pledge.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It wasn't a particularly funny video, but it sounded like he stood by the decisions he made when writing the book and explained them for the benefit of people who didn't like them, and I like that in a developer- like when Chris Avellone wrote this blog about the decisions that went into Fallout: Dead Money. Maybe have a sense of fun about the whole thing and try to leave the hurt and trauma inflicted on you by "the complete book of elves" in your past?

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 13, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mex posted:

He wasted a whole sunday afternoon 10 years ago, and for that Brian Fargo shall suffer... FOREVER :argh:

edit: Please, no multiplayer in these games, ever. Sorry to disagree with you :S

I had a hella fun time with those games. As far as ARPG's go, the hack-and-slash plus summons was well done, and the story was cliche-but-funny. AND IT CAME WITH THE CLASSIC BARD'S TALES FOR FREE. Why does everyone give it so much poo poo? I bet these poeple would pay 40+ bucks for just the first three bard's tale games anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

2house2fly posted:

It wasn't a particularly funny video, but it sounded like he stood by the decisions he made when writing the book and explained them for the benefit of people who didn't like them, and I like that in a developer- like when Chris Avellone wrote this blog about the decisions that went into Fallout: Dead Money. Maybe have a sense of fun about the whole thing and try to leave the hurt and trauma inflicted on you by "the complete book of elves" in your past?

I had no idea there was a "join Elijah" ending. That's great.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

the black husserl posted:

He was totally right: if you're the DM, own that table son. Don't let some prissy elf player try to let a book lord over you. Elf-seeking rock falls, all elves die.
Yeah, until SA I had no idea there were people actually angry about that book.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah, sorry, terrible game design with a smarmy non-apology just made me cancel my pledge.
I'm bad at the internet so could you please confirm if this is actually a serious post?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I didn't know anyone actually thought it was going to be anything other than a jokey video where he makes fun of himself for a few minutes for the internet's amusement.

Dec 26, 2012

Pyradox posted:

I didn't know anyone actually thought it was going to be anything other than a jokey video where he makes fun of himself for a few minutes for the internet's amusement.

He didn't terribly make fun of himself though? I don't know, maybe I'm just too tired or tone-deaf to get it, but I'm not really seeing it.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

Hahahahaha what the gently caress

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

antidote posted:

Hahahahaha what the gently caress
The Obsidian thread had one of those people too. Meh.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Unless he donated something like 1.5 million dollars to the kickstarter, I don't think anyone will be particularly sad about him by this point.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Fenarisk posted:

You don't want Torment: the Complete Book of Elves? :ohdear:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

jammu posted:

You don't want Torment: the Complete Book of Elves? :ohdear:
I get to be an elf. Called it.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Fenarisk posted:

You think you were owed an apology from one of the writers of an RPG rulebook that came out years ago. That's the definition of egotism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

FRINGE posted:

I get to be an elf. Called it.

What does one non-elf life matter?

• Locked thread