Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

haljordan posted:

When I saw the first episode when it premiered, I remember thinking to myself "How in the hell can Tony and Christopher get away with running a guy over with a car and then beating the ever-loving poo poo out of him in front of dozens of eyewitnesses?" Then I thought "If I saw that go down, I would probably say to myself 'Well those gentlemen are clearly having some sort of dispute over an unpaid loan, it wouldn't be proper of me to interfere.'" And then I would run away very fast.

I loved the time a citizen DID come forth to quite proudly do his civic duty after witnessing Tony commit a crime, then his wife sees Tony on the news and they find out who he is, and he instantly calls up the DA and says,"gently caress you I'm not testifying!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And will I be even more so? But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the time a citizen DID come forth to quite proudly do his civic duty after witnessing Tony commit a crime, then his wife sees Tony on the news and they find out who he is, and he instantly calls up the DA and says,"gently caress you I'm not testifying!"

Yessssssss and him and his wife are screaming at eachother.

"THAT LYING PIECE OF poo poo COP! WHERE'S HIS NUMBER?!"

"ON THE FRIDGE!"

"WHERE?! I DON'T loving SEE IT!"

"THE FRIDGE! THE FRIDGE!!!!"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
How did AJ not know what gutters are.

THE THINGS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROOF.

:confused:

THEY COLLECT THE RAIN WATER!

I don't know what you're talking about.

smack632
Dec 31, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

How did AJ not know what gutters are.

THE THINGS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROOF.

:confused:

THEY COLLECT THE RAIN WATER!

I don't know what you're talking about.

My favorite scenes are the ones where AJ is getting yelled at by Tony/Carmela.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

smack632 posted:

My favorite scenes are the ones where AJ is getting yelled at by Tony/Carmela.

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXx8z0ERbQ

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
"Mom started going downhill after the World Trade Center. You know Quasimodo predicted all this."
"Who did what?"
"All these problems... the Middle East, the end of the world."
"Nostradamus. Quasimodo's the Hunchback of Notre Dame."
"Oh right. Notre Damus."
"Nostradamus, and Notre Dame. Two different things completely."
"It's interesting though, they'd be so similar, isn't it? And I always thought okay, Hunchback of Notre Dame. You also got your quarterback and halfback of Notre Dame."
"One's a loving cathedral."
"Obviously. I know, I'm just saying. It's interesting, the coincidence. What you're gonna tell me you never pondered that? The back thing with Notre Dame?"
"No!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What's different about you?

Tony, he's got no eyebrows!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zVxTeflon posted:

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!?
What's the context of this? Is that when AJ goes out and gets high and comes back with his eyebrows shaved off?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah that was it.

Thats prob one of my favorite lines of the show. AJ being an idiot really provides some great dialog. Except s6 AJ. God I hate s6 AJ.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

Yeah that was it.

Thats prob one of my favorite lines of the show. AJ being an idiot really provides some great dialog. Except s6 AJ. God I hate s6 AJ.

S6 AJ still not as bad as IT'S MY PROCESS!!! though.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

haljordan posted:

Any time I have to get a suitcase out to travel I am reminded of "abundant intentionality"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

haljordan posted:

I love that episode so much because they're trying so hard to be mature adults who explain their reasoning and are in touch with their emotions, and then at the end of the episode they "solve" their problems by going,"LET'S GET MARRIED! :bravo:"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

I'll leave you here, you one-shoe cocksucker!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
"Not bad.... mix it with the relish!"

That episode is endlessly quotable.

"Stop gettin' cunty!"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

"He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."
"His house looked like poo poo."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"You had Tic Tacs and you didn't tell me?!"

It's even funnier if you've seen the episode before and know what's coming. You can see them in Paulie's mouth for a while before Christopher realizes it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The face and shrug Paulie makes is the best thing ever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Worst sopranos episode: Massive Genius episode?

I think so.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
i don't know I'll always have a soft spot for Christopher beating the crap out of that junkie singer

There are worse episodes in the middle stretch and the worst episodes probably center around Anthony Jr.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

The one where Tony meets his dad's mistress was pretty awful. And the Columbus Day episode.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Twee as gently caress posted:

i don't know I'll always have a soft spot for Christopher beating the crap out of that junkie singer

There are worse episodes in the middle stretch and the worst episodes probably center around Anthony Jr.

"Thank you, but I've recorded in DENMARK."

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

So get out of our way
And don't be so gay
We're coming to defile, defile you!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kevyn posted:

So get out of our way
And don't be so gay
We're coming to defile, defile you!

"I think you should mentally prepare for the fuckin possibility, that Visiting Day sucks."

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
It's really hard to pick out bad episodes because they all have something great in them.

For example, I recently watched "In Camelot", the one with the mistress, not really looking forward to it, but it was actually strong aside from a few weak scenes. And its a really deep story about Tony realizing his father kind of sucked, only once yet another dual madonna/whore figure enters his life for him to understand the world through.

There's also
  • Junior "suffering in silence" about her that was total bullshit; and his adventure into funerals for fun including one moment he starts singing happily and smiling while everyone else is mourning. Then he snaps at one, breaking down in tears, realizing his life is meaningless without others.
  • The introduction of JT as Chris feeds on his gambling addiction until he relapses, and the fantastic moment with Chris saying "why didn't you call me then?" a week after beating the hell out of him. And another scene of Benevolent/Supportive Chris talking about getting him into rehab at the same time JT's signing over his car to him.
  • Tony running Phil off the road, then violently shaking his neck while pretending help him in front of witnesses.
  • The mistress herself, who led to Tony realizing his dad was kind of lovely too for cheating on his mom (setting up his reuniting with Carm)
  • A loving beautiful final scene where Tony (already dissatisfied with her) starts bragging to all his friends about how she was JFKs mistress for three years (instead of loving him once, as she said) and the story gets bigger with her sneaking in the white house and Jackie almost leaving JFK over her. Then the show just ends on this expression of a defeated, hollow Tony in his own head.

It's the same with the seasons too. I swear I alternate between every season being the "best one" and "worst one" as I'm watching, and I really couldn't rank them reliably if I tried. I had previously hit a big lull getting into season 5 because of some stuff I remembered not working, but the more I pressed on the more these small details made me fall in love again.

The only thing you could probably do is pluck out worst plotlines, and again there's still stuff that's fantastic in them. Everyone rags on Meadow and Finn "got out your suitcase!" and "it's my process!" but the more I've seen that it's just so hilarious on top of Finn being scared for his life about Vito, and Meadow getting mad he's falling asleep after they've been arguing for 8 HOURS straight.

There's obvoiously the D-Girl storyline about Chris going to Hollywood that's a little too on the nose, but that goes to the "In Camelot" line from with Chris "I got out of that business cause people gently caress you over! Jon Favreau--human being cocksucker-tried to steal MY ideas!"

Aight gently caress it. Season 5 is my favorite. Best one by far. See yall in a week to tell you about how Season 5 is the worst and Season 6 is the best.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kevyn posted:

The one where Tony meets his dad's mistress was pretty awful. And the Columbus Day episode.
This episode is awful, although it has the scene with Tony chasing down Phil Leotardo in a car and making him crash.

The one before it is worse, Sentimental Education, all about Carmela's affair with one of AJ's guidance counselors or something.

Columbus Day was funny... Artie trying to get into it with the Native Americans and he gets hit with a milkshake is great.

zVxTeflon posted:

"I think you should mentally prepare for the fuckin possibility, that Visiting Day sucks."

What is that from?

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 12, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Okay, I'll probably never say season 6 is the best cause it's probably the only one I could say is actually the weakest and stick to it, but drat if I don't love a
lot of it.

Even if you hate Johnny Cakes, you can't not love this moment:

Season 6.5 on the other hand, that season is pure gold.

escape artist posted:

What is that from?

The episode with massive genius in season 1, "A Hit is a Hit"

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 13, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Oh that's right, Visiting Day was the name of that lovely band.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

The one before it is worse, Sentimental Education, all about Carmela's affair with one of AJ's guidance counselors or something.

I really like that one, if only because I think it's nice to see Carmela get to have an affair after putting up with years of Tony's infidelities. Plus doesn't the episode have the amazing line,"No offense, but I think you use your pussy to get what you want."

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

I really like that one, if only because I think it's nice to see Carmela get to have an affair after putting up with years of Tony's infidelities. Plus doesn't the episode have the amazing line,"No offense, but I think you use your pussy to get what you want."

Every episode has some moments, but that one bored the poo poo out of me. I loved the Carmela/Furio storyline in Season 4... I think the counselor was just an annoying douche.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Hahah, yesss. That guy is such a massive tool. "You strong-armed me using the only weapon you have--your pussy"

I was gonna write up the defense for the great parts of that episode, but just got describing the episode right after it and effort. Really though, that episode is hard to get through because--not the Carmella/Counselor--but how absolutely heartbreaking the Tony Blundeto plotline is.

This "bag of money" blessing being a curse in disguise, a taste of the old life ends up causing him to miss it all and he needlessly throws his hard work at a straight life and business investment all away.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This season 5 talk is just making me want to rewatch "Irregular Around the Margins". Such a great loving episode. Might be my favorite of the series.

"He came all over the sun visor!"

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I love the Columbus Day episode, I think it has some of the funniest lines in the whole series. I know no one agrees with me, but come on. Great stuff.

Tony: "Whatever happened to Gary Cooper?"
Silvio: "...he died."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27KQODo0vXs

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

That line is cemented into my brain, no matter what episode I'm watching. Even something like the pilot, I'm hearing...

Tony "What ever happened to Gary Cooper? You know--that strong, silent type"
Melfi: "He was gay, Gary Cooper?"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jamal Ginsburgh, the Hasidic Homeboy is so insanely racist but also insanely hilarious.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Jamal Ginsburgh, the Hasidic Homeboy is so insanely racist but also insanely hilarious.

One of Paulie's best Iines "Hasid'em but I don't believe 'em"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Hahah, yesss. That guy is such a massive tool. "You strong-armed me using the only weapon you have--your pussy"

I was gonna write up the defense for the great parts of that episode, but just got describing the episode right after it and effort. Really though, that episode is hard to get through because--not the Carmella/Counselor--but how absolutely heartbreaking the Tony Blundeto plotline is.

This "bag of money" blessing being a curse in disguise, a taste of the old life ends up causing him to miss it all and he needlessly throws his hard work at a straight life and business investment all away.

That episode also helped to reinforce the point that while Carmella likes to pretend she is a good person she is as bad as Tony in her own way. She loves the power and being able to swinging it around. She is just a huge hypocrite

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

That episode also helped to reinforce the point that while Carmella likes to pretend she is a good person she is as bad as Tony in her own way. She loves the power and being able to swinging it around. She is just a huge hypocrite

Also the episode where she basically threatened that one woman into writing a letter of recommendation for Meadow.

"I'm not threatening anyone! I just want you to write the letter!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Bonzo posted:

One of Paulie's best Iines "Hasid'em but I don't believe 'em"

"Bupkis. Say bupkis, Paulie"
"What?"
"That's how they say nothing"
"gently caress that. THIS is how I say nothing."
:sotw:

• Locked thread