Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Kolodny posted:

Anyone know what this is? It looks like a kit plane to me, but I can't pin it down.

Dimona motor glider, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Polymerized Cum posted:

You'll only need one.

See you 'round cutter then.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

Dimona motor glider, maybe?

Yeah, the Super Dimona looks exactly like it. Thanks :hfive:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Signed up for a seat on FIFI. This is part of the e-mail confirmation:

Thank you so much for purchasing a ride on the world's only flying B-29 Superfortress "FIFI". There is no doubt that without the support of individuals like yourself this world famous bomber of WWII would not be flying today. We are very excited for you to have this once in a lifetime experience in the airplane and want you to keep a few pieces of information handy before your flight.

The location for the ride is:
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
11 Museum Drive
Reading, PA 19605

1. Please report to our ride desk ONE HOUR prior to your scheduled ride flight time.
2. The ride desk is usually located in the vicinity of the aircraft so when reporting to the airport look for the large silver B-29 with the A on the tail.

Yeah, would suck to get on the wrong B-29.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
This seems like the best thread to get advice on this, I don't fly often but I'm in the process of shopping around for my flight at the end of the summer to move from Montreal to Sydney Australia. Any tips on carriers to avoid, planes that will be miserable to be on for 10+ hours, stuff like that? Pretty much all of my flying experience has been with Air Canada and I can't really stand them at this point and they seem to be double the cost of Qantas or Air New Zealand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PainterofCrap posted:

Signed up for a seat on FIFI. This is part of the e-mail confirmation:

drat, that's awesome. I was stoked I got to wander around inside the movie Memphis Belle and slap on a squadron sticker (inside the cargo door).

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

DoesNotCompute posted:

This seems like the best thread to get advice on this...

I'm sure you'll get some responses here, but try this thread too:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391967

Cathay Pacific First from Toronto to HK to Sydney would be my vote, but perhaps not the best option price wise.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DoesNotCompute posted:

This seems like the best thread to get advice on this, I don't fly often but I'm in the process of shopping around for my flight at the end of the summer to move from Montreal to Sydney Australia. Any tips on carriers to avoid, planes that will be miserable to be on for 10+ hours, stuff like that? Pretty much all of my flying experience has been with Air Canada and I can't really stand them at this point and they seem to be double the cost of Qantas or Air New Zealand.

There's a frequent business travel thread in Ask-tell/Business, Finance, Careers, but I'll take a stab at it:

Any tips on carriers to avoid: any carrier allowed to fly in Canada and Australia is safe.

planes that will be miserable to be on for 10+ hours: all of them unless you are flying first class

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

There's a frequent business travel thread in Ask-tell/Business, Finance, Careers, but I'll take a stab at it:

Any tips on carriers to avoid: any carrier allowed to fly in Canada and Australia is safe.

planes that will be miserable to be on for 10+ hours: all of them unless you are flying first class

I used to blast AC33/34 almost biweekly, I am an MM with AC but their new Top Tier program is so utterly gimped I went over to AAdvantage. I'd say if you are flying Y to SYD your best bet would actually be Delta or Virgin Australia. AC is not terrible in the back, so if they are the cheapest, you may as well tough out the 33/34 combo. Other than DL, when else will you get to fly a 77L?

If you're flying front cabin, avoid AC like the plague- they have the second worst business class on the pacific run.... not worth your money. Someone else's money, sure... but if you are paying, DL J is the same seat with better service.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

sellouts posted:

That's BA only because of the fuel surcharges. APD is like 150 british pounds for premium travel which you pay on BA as well. My AA flight's taxes were far less, but still had to pay APD. $700 in taxes/fees is more than I paid in taxes/fees for a 3 week around the would trip for 2.

Why not fly the new AA 777-300ER? It's a better hard product and much improved soft product compared to BA from early reviews. I won't know until January.

All my avios are BA avios, as are the redemption vouchers.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Powercube posted:

I used to blast AC33/34 almost biweekly, I am an MM with AC but their new Top Tier program is so utterly gimped I went over to AAdvantage. I'd say if you are flying Y to SYD your best bet would actually be Delta or Virgin Australia. AC is not terrible in the back, so if they are the cheapest, you may as well tough out the 33/34 combo. Other than DL, when else will you get to fly a 77L?

If you're flying front cabin, avoid AC like the plague- they have the second worst business class on the pacific run.... not worth your money. Someone else's money, sure... but if you are paying, DL J is the same seat with better service.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. It's looking like it's going to be economy. The jump for one way tickets from economy to first is like...1200 up to 9000. I like snacks and leg room as much as the next guy, but that difference can go towards a Westfalia when I land.

I had totally forgotten Virgin too and their prices seem pretty reasonable and they fly out of YOW which I can easily pop over to.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you hook up Westjet to LAX and then hop the DL flight out of LAX, you can get their economy comfort product for a relatively small bump. I think it's $100 or something. That gives you free hard liquor and 34" seat pitch which makes a big difference when the fucker in front of you leans back like he's sittin in his La-Z-Boy. Plus, the 77L is pretty nice.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's amazing what a bit of valium can do. A flight from Sydney to London, 6'5" tall in economy class. One of the least painful flights i've been on.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Honestly, being a 5'6" 155lb person I can not even FATHOM how people 6' or taller or heavy set people tolerate flying.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Want a tip to save money flying? Clear your browser cache and cookies or use incognito mode. Airline websites look for cookies from ether their own site or that of another airline and will increase prices accordingly; the thought being that if you have a cookie from another airline you're probably shopping around for flights.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Want a tip to save money flying? Clear your browser cache and cookies or use incognito mode. Airline websites look for cookies from ether their own site or that of another airline and will increase prices accordingly; the thought being that if you have a cookie from another airline you're probably shopping around for flights.

They can't see cookies from other airlines.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PainterofCrap posted:

Signed up for a seat on FIFI.
Good for you. Look forward to the pics!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They can't see cookies from other airlines.

Short answer: no, long answer: yes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DoesNotCompute posted:

Honestly, being a 5'6" 155lb person I can not even FATHOM how people 6' or taller or heavy set people tolerate flying.

I glare menacingly at whoever looks like they're inbound to sit next to me in hopes they'll attempt to find another seat. Sadly, this only seems to be effective on attractive women, whilst simultaneously attracting men from foreign countries that are not up to western standards vis-à-vis soap and deodorant.

:smithicide:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

MrChips posted:

Why would they increase prices? If they know you're shopping around it seems like it would be better to provide lower prices than the competition.

Now, I have heard of higher prices depending upon which browser you're using. Mac users tend to be more affluent so they are sometimes shown the nicer products ahead of the cheaper ones.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Why would they increase prices? If they know you're shopping around it seems like it would be better to provide lower prices than the competition.

Now, I have heard of higher prices depending upon which browser you're using. Mac users tend to be more affluent so they are sometimes shown the nicer products ahead of the cheaper ones.

Here's how it works (at least to my understanding):

Say you're looking for a trip and you browse Airline A's website, your tracking cookie will store your search query for later. Now, you go check Airline B's website. Their site sees you have a cookie from Airline A and assumes you're here to shop prices. Now depending on where Airline B is trying to compete with Airline A, the presence of A's cookie can trigger either a price increase or decrease depending on the flight you're looking at. Now, if you go back to Airline A's site, they will bump the price for your flight the second time around (because a returning visit indicates some intent to purchase), but they too will see you have B's cookie and adjust their price accordingly. Unfortunately, it is rare that the price decreases overall when you do this kind of search...that said, once in a while you will run into a magical seat sale you didn't see the first time around.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Unless the airlines are abusing browser flaws, they really shouldn't be able to see cookies from other domains. There are other tricks to see where people have been, like having hidden links to competitor's websites on the page and checking for style settings that indicate previous visits, or dicking around with third-party cookies (which doesn't make sense really as they'd be sending information to their competitors too). If you have a test that works with cookie clearing and somehow negates the volatile prices of airline seats, I'd be more inclined to believe you. ATT can't make it's own workstations and the browsers there (IE and Firefox) submit cross-domain cookies to simplify their intranet secure logins.

Edit: less :tinfoil: please

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrChips posted:

...Now depending on where Airline B is trying to compete with Airline A...

I have NEVER in my airline working/researching life seen a case of two airlines on the same route with similar services at similar times not compete.

I read this as you're making the assumption that Airline B would prefer to spend money to fly an aircraft with no-one in it than to put a bum on a seat for $1 and at least reduce their losses by $1.

I've seen it happen in regulated markets, or with premium vs LCC, or with contraflow, but never when those 3 conditions are not met

I can't comment on how web browsers work, but that alone makes me think bullshit.

edit: unless you have proof...?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 13, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DoesNotCompute posted:

Ok, so you know that clear plastic bag you have to put all your fluids in, and all the fluids have to be 3oz or less? You can put a whole lot of "airline bottles" of booze in one of those bags.

First time the service comes through (or even on the ground, if this is a connecting flight and you're bold), ask for the whole can. Especially tonic water, they've always got tons of that.

Bombay Sapphire and tonic: you can chat with anybody now.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

MrChips posted:

Say you're looking for a trip and you browse Airline A's website, your tracking cookie will store your search query for later. Now, you go check Airline B's website. Their site sees you have a cookie from Airline A and assumes you're here to shop prices. Now depending on where Airline B is trying to compete with Airline A, the presence of A's cookie can trigger either a price increase or decrease depending on the flight you're looking at. Now, if you go back to Airline A's site, they will bump the price for your flight the second time around (because a returning visit indicates some intent to purchase), but they too will see you have B's cookie and adjust their price accordingly. Unfortunately, it is rare that the price decreases overall when you do this kind of search...that said, once in a while you will run into a magical seat sale you didn't see the first time around.
That's not how competition works, though; that seems like a magic plan to give sales to the other airline. If what you're saying about the cookies is true, I think it would work in reverse from how you described- that it would only give a lower price if it detected you were shopping around.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Truly, getting tanked responsibly buzzed at the airport/on the plane is the best way to fly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

Say you're looking for a trip and you browse Airline A's website, your tracking cookie will store your search query for later. Now, you go check Airline B's website. Their site sees you have a cookie from Airline A
This is not technically feasible, in addition to what grovski said about market forces not working the way you understand.

I refuse to board a plane without a beer in me if it's after lunchtime. Pretty sure that technically makes me an alcoholic. DGAF.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 13, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ok, so you know that clear plastic bag you have to put all your fluids in, and all the fluids have to be 3oz or less? You can put a whole lot of "airline bottles" of booze in one of those bags.

First time the service comes through (or even on the ground, if this is a connecting flight and you're bold), ask for the whole can. Especially tonic water, they've always got tons of that.

Or, don't fly a US carrier long-haul and just ask them for a double G&T or whatever when they come round? ;)

Aargh is right though, benzodiazepines are your friend here.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Why should you travel by air without the same comforts as a dog?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Powercube posted:

good Lord alphabet soup. Translation, please ?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

DoesNotCompute posted:

I'm a 6'4 ~280LBS airline pilot that commutes from PHX to ORD every week. You get used to it and pray that the person in front of you isn't an rear end in a top hat who decides to lean their seat back.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

DoesNotCompute posted:

I'm 6'1", 195lbs and flew YYZ to AMS a few years back and wanted to kill myself the entire time.

MrChips posted:

That's the craziest goddamn thing I've ever read.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

That's the craziest goddamn thing I've ever read.
Use this weird trick to save money on plane tickets. Airlines hate this!

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

buttcrackmenace posted:

good Lord alphabet soup. Translation, please ?

AC33/34 – Air Canada flights 33 and 34, being outbound and inbound Toronto-Vancouver-Sydney service, respectively
MM with AC – I am a Million Miler with Air Canada
Y – Many of the airports with Y name codes are in Canada.
SYD – Sydney Kingsford-Smith Airport
DL – Delta Airlines
77L – Boeing 777-200LR, the long-range variant of the 777 200, used for super-ludicrous-long-range flights like The US to Sydney runs.
DL J – Delta Airlines' 'Business Elite' class

ctishman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 13, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I flew AirTrans this Sunday to go pick up my Audi, and I was delighted with their service, not bad for $98. Took a 737 from Atlanta to Denver.

I miss flying on C-130s though, so much more comfortable to fly in a hammock or on a stretcher with a good pillow.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 13, 2013

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a pretty good article on it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323777204578189391813881534.html

quote:

Some sites, for example, gave discounts based on whether or not a person was using a mobile device. A person searching for hotels from the Web browser of an iPhone or Android phone on travel sites Orbitz and CheapTickets would see discounts of as much as 50% off the list price, Orbitz said.

Not exactly airline tickets but the same ideas apply.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There's all sorts of anecdotal evidence that travel sites use everything from your search/visit history to your browser reported OS to set prices. Seat pricing is a black art that the airlines purposefully keep muddled and some of them definitely use various forms of dynamic pricing (obviously), so I guess you can always turn on private browsing or check on your phone if you suspect something is goofin' with your prices.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

ctishman posted:

AC33/34 – Air Canada flights 33 and 34, being outbound and inbound Toronto-Vancouver-Sydney service, respectively
MM with AC – I am a Million Miler with Air Canada
SYD – Sydney Kingsford-Smith Airport
DL – Delta Airlines
77L – Boeing 777-200LR, the long-range variant of the 777 200, used for super-ludicrous-long-range flights like The US to Sydney runs.

Bless you.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

I have NEVER in my airline working/researching life seen a case of two airlines on the same route with similar services at similar times not compete.

I read this as you're making the assumption that Airline B would prefer to spend money to fly an aircraft with no-one in it than to put a bum on a seat for $1 and at least reduce their losses by $1.

I've seen it happen in regulated markets, or with premium vs LCC, or with contraflow, but never when those 3 conditions are not met

I can't comment on how web browsers work, but that alone makes me think bullshit.

edit: unless you have proof...?

grover posted:

That's not how competition works, though; that seems like a magic plan to give sales to the other airline. If what you're saying about the cookies is true, I think it would work in reverse from how you described- that it would only give a lower price if it detected you were shopping around.

I guess I didn't elaborate enough on the competition statement; chalk it up to phone posting with a limited amount of time.

Airlines obviously compete with one another on many levels - I never implied they didn't. What I should have said is that airlines will often set themselves goals regarding market share on a given route, out of a given airport, etc. which in effect increases the competition on a very small aspect of their business. Let's say Airline A and Airline B both have flights from ABC-XYZ. Airline A flies 12 flights a day, lofting 1200 seats and filling 80% of them, giving them a market share of 40%. Airline B flies 8 flights a day, lofting 800 seats and filling 75%, giving them a market share of 25% (the remaining 35% of the market share is split between several other carriers). Now let's say Airline B has become particularly dissatisfied with their performance on their ABC-XYZ flights, and want to add a couple of flights and increase their load factor to 85%, which in the airline industry means that the flights are functionally full. Lots of things will happen; one of them being seat sales, often targeted at a specific location, in order to drum up new business (or to get loyal customers who otherwise can't fly on your airline to use them on this particular flight) or to just straight up take bums off A's seats and put them on B's seats.

This ties into the cookie thing I mentioned as well; I'm only going on what I was told by a friend who works in that aspect of the airline business - bear in mind that how an airline goes about their dynamic pricing is one of their most closely-guarded secrets; most of the questions you ask about that will be rebuffed with little more than a smile and a shrug. I sent her an email today about this to see if I can get any more information on how dynamic pricing works in relation to your browsing history and whatnot, but I honestly don't expect much back, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

ctishman posted:

I think the Y here is referring to Coach Class