Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/recollections/r16_e/index.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Paragon8 posted:

so a good birding lens then?

If you don't mind cropping, I suppose.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

quote:

Photographers dubbed the lens "the tuna" and the case "the coffin,"

Man, the telephoto compression on that shot of the two women is incredible (actually, all of those sample photos contextualized are incredible). Great link!

I'd seen the Canon 1200mm lens link many a time, but this was new to me.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Paragon8 posted:

so a good birding lens then?

With cardinals that big zooming with your feet might get you mauled.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Eugh, look at those OOF areas. Bokeh not sufficiently , this lens is terrible, Nikon are terrible.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

Welp. That's enough internet for today.

Despite the awfulness of those skinbags, I lied - I just can't quit the internet today, it seems.

Relevant to "for the exposure"
A Day in the Life of a Freelance Journalist
My take: "gently caress you pay me!"
and the response:
A Day in the Life of a Digital Editor
My take: "You said mean things about where I work! And my job is hard!"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SKULE123 posted:

quote:

Photographers dubbed the lens "the tuna" and the case "the coffin,"
Okay, I get why the case was nicknamed 'the coffin'....but why a fishy nickname for the lens?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

quote:

Okay, I get why the case was nicknamed 'the coffin'....but why a fishy nickname for the lens?

Just a play on the large size and approximate shape, I guess. Caught me as weird, too!

edit: broken quote

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 12, 2013

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

quote:

The technicians developing the lens reportedly measured the width of the photographers' seats in person in order to determine its maximum possible length.

I'm sure the technicians were very through in their measurements. After all, you never know what conditions might be so its best that they measured the seats over the span of a two week period.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
I'd go with "because it sounds hilarious."

"Put the tuna back in the coffin."

"We're going to rent the tuna again."

"Some days I just want to rub the tuna against my body."

Endless hilarity.

Also, yeah, I guess it does kinda look like a tuna with the tail cut off.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
We need to get this lady to be a Dorkroom mentor and teach us her ways.
http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/12...%28PetaPixel%29

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

We need to get this lady to be a Dorkroom mentor and teach us her ways.
http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/12...%28PetaPixel%29

It's all about the nuts man.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

spog posted:

Probably because Japan is an island nation and fishing is an important part of their culture.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Reminder that Comet PANSTARRS is low in the sky right after sunset next to the new moon, get your fuckin 300mms ready

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

It's too bad cameras are so quiet, a lens that big should get a sound to match.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Some of my students played at Koshien two summers ago... the pitcher on the team threw a 95mph fastball :pwn:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
http://www.featureshoot.com/2013/03/photos-of-children-from-around-the-world-with-their-most-prized-possessions/

"Photos of Children From Around the World With Their Most Prized Possessions"

Translated: "Look How Materialistic First World Children Are"

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/12001700mm.htm

That is just obscene.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

the posted:

http://www.featureshoot.com/2013/03/photos-of-children-from-around-the-world-with-their-most-prized-possessions/

The kids from third world countries would be exactly the same if they were brought up in a first world nation.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

psylent posted:

The kids from third world countries would be exactly the same if they were brought up in a first world nation.

Then they would be First World kids.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

If you'll pardon one more petapixel link, this owns:

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/13/calvin-and-hobbes-themed-engagement-and-wedding-photographs/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

That's awesome.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Sadly lacking in deranged mutant killer monster snow goons.

And, for what it's worth, the whole thing flies in the face of everything that G.R.O.S.S. stands for.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

the posted:

The twin girls from Zanzibar have He-Man figurines. The kid from Texas has dragons and dinosaurs. There is awesomeness in these photos.

Rather than First-World/Third-World comparisons, what I find most interesting is the dolls - even where the children (mainly girls, a point for another discussion I guess) have dark skin, the dolls are very white-skinned.

Most of the kids don't seem to be smiling. Did they just get bored of having the photographer around?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

ExecuDork posted:

Most of the kids don't seem to be smiling. Did they just get bored of having the photographer around?

Might be intimidated by the camera gear, lights and photographer? I'm 6'4" and kids are intimidated by me - I've learned that having no gear other than my camera is the best way to go when shooting kids. I also get down on their level and play with them, interact with them.

Or. They are bored and just want to play with their toys.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A good tip is to offer them candy as well.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Might be a cynical response, but I'm assuming they were told not to smile because it's "serious" "social commentary."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

And, for what it's worth, the whole thing flies in the face of everything that G.R.O.S.S. stands for.

Seriously! :mad:

also I almost missed the customized programs, that is a phenomenal touch.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Why do they have to be smiling?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Reichstag posted:

Why do they have to be smiling?

Because it's a picture, DUH.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Say cheese!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My son can barely talk and he says 'cheese' when I point a camera at him. I have never once told anyone to smile when I was going to take their photo.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

TomR posted:

My son can barely talk and he says 'cheese' when I point a camera at him. I have never once told anyone to smile when I was going to take their photo.

Same with ours... he's 18 months and goes "CHEESE!" if he spots me carrying a camera.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

My son only says "cheese" when I ask him what he wants on his burger. :confused:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I do not have a son.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I do not have a son.

I'll be your son.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

woot fatigue posted:

I'll be your son.

I love you and I'm so proud of you, son.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I love you and I'm so proud of you, son.

D'aww thanks daddy! Golly gee, you're the best!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
My son is also named Bort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Back when I worked at Olan Mills taking pics of ugly children I used to have to make all sorts of noises and dances to try to get kids to smile. Kids just don't like looking at me. Anyways, one time I was squatting with the remote trigger in my hand trying to get this loving kid to smile. There were like five female family members/friends in their 20s or early 30s behind me watching the session and trying to get him to smile as well. Anyways, I started grunting and making sounds like an ape and ended up sharting.