Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
People really like Dungeon Plunder so much? What am I missing?

The combat got really repetitive really quickly, especially once I realised that all of the enemies are basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

UncleSmoothie posted:

People really like Dungeon Plunder so much? What am I missing?

The combat got really repetitive really quickly, especially once I realised that all of the enemies are basically the same.

There's a neat strategy involved in optimizing use of your powers, along with the gradual gain of power through successive losses. I don't know what else you're looking for, but I found it fun to play between busy periods at work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ghostlight posted:

On the Simcity/openTTD conversation - has anyone played Yoot Tower? I'm curious what the UI is like without using a mouse.

Yoot Tower controls pretty well. They haven't modified the interface to multitouch as much as anyone would really like, but it works.

marshmonkey posted:

I think the issue is that the guy is basically just a spam bot for promoting his own games.

As opposed to the Tiny Tower guy, the Punch Quest guy, the evil starfish game guy, and the Jones on Fire guy?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Yeah because all those guys act like people looking for feedback, not adbots

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Yeah because all those guys act like people looking for feedback, not adbots

Eehhhh sometimes the line is blurred. But they don't always just spam an ad the way the other guy did.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Can't we all just agree that the CEO OF VIDEO GAMES (or whatever the hell his name was, Kenny Rogers poker guy) is the worst dev poster?

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

~Coxy posted:

As opposed to the Tiny Tower guy, the Punch Quest guy, the evil starfish game guy, and the Jones on Fire guy?

That's not fair, at least 40% of my posts are about complaining of the lack of roguelikes, rather than talking about my own games. And a good 30% is me talking about your dad's anus.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

~Coxy posted:

They actually add something to discussion vs a drive-by "hey we have a contest right now come on down" or constant "well, if you like poker, try mythis app!"

It's like going through some social feed and seeing ads breaking up the feed.

Crickler's okay, but took something like a year before it stopped being unusable poo poo.

Also he's got this thing where every paragraph must be one sentence at most.

It's pretty annoying.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Kepa posted:

That's not fair, at least 40% of my posts are about complaining of the lack of roguelikes, rather than talking about my own games. And a good 30% is me talking about your dad's anus.
I would post more about your dad's anus too, but I was worried about being labelled a johny come lately anus shill. Didn't want to overdo the butt talk.

... unrelated - so how IS the Sonic game where Sonic actually goes fast? The production values look insane, but the gameplay looks almost identical to Subway Surfers.

EDIT: VV Dammit. But this is still progress. Now, Sonic has gone fast... next, he just need to go fast in a good game.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 13, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Shalinor posted:

I would post more about your dad's anus too, but I was worried about being labelled a johny come lately anus shill. Didn't want to overdo the butt talk.

... unrelated - so how IS the Sonic game where Sonic actually goes fast? The production values look insane, but the gameplay looks almost identical to Subway Surfers.
It's pretty bad. Production value when it comes to menus/information presentation is terrible and clunky.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

duckfarts posted:

They actually add something to discussion vs a drive-by "hey we have a contest right now come on down" or constant "well, if you like poker, try mythis app!"

Crickler's okay, but took something like a year before it stopped being unusable poo poo.

It's pretty annoying.

I didn't realize that was a thing people hated, the one sentence paragraphs thing I meant.

I always figured it made stuff easier to read.

(I'm not that other guy)

Oh hell on a shill related note:
When my game is a little further along, are there folks (especially with iPhones) that would be interested in being lab rats?
My client doesn't have loads of time for testing and I've only got iPads because I'm smart like that.

I think I could convince them to have some folks come on for play testing on smaller devices and providing feedback for balance.
(the game I'm talking about is the plants and robots thing I shilled a little big ago)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Count me in, Juc66. Username at gmail

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
All opinions welcome, but I'm mostly speaking to the esteemed iOS devs up in this piece...

I moved to Seattle 5 months ago, whereby I work from home. I also have a 10 week old son. So I'm home like, a lot. A LOT!

I've always had strong opinions about games/game design. But zero technical know-how. Anyway, the wife suggested I look into a class or hobby to cure my boredom and get me out of the house occasionally. And couple that with eeenmachine telling me a while back that I should learn to code and make an app (and pointing me to that Polymer dude's blog which was a pretty cool read.)

Anyway, for someone who knows nothing computer-languagey other than some basic SQL, what would be the best FIRST coding language to learn that would be applicable to ios game/app coding?

Thanks for your input! :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Feenix posted:

Anyway, for someone who knows nothing computer-languagey other than some basic SQL, what would be the best FIRST coding language to learn that would be applicable to ios game/app coding?
Ask your game making questions here. Ask your "how do I do this as a business" questions here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400187

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, I am at the point where I will not buy a game unless there is a lite version to try first. There are so many lovely titles to slog through and the App Store is so bad that I have kinda given up. Puzzle Craft is the only game I have really compulsively played and Crimson Steam Pirates, while more a tech demo then a game, is one of the only ones I have spent any money on. I so want to like iPad gaming but there is just too much crap out there to deal with.

Solution: read this thread, download stuff other people seem to like, use appshopper (and this thread) to score stuff when it goes free if you're not sure you want to spend money on it. I've managed to build up a pretty loving big library of games I can play on my ghetto as gently caress hand-me-down Gen2 iPod that are all really drat decent, and I've got a giant as gently caress backlog of highly recommended games for after I get an iPad later on this summer.

It's basically what I've been doing with games of all types for years now. I refuse to buy anything without checking out what the groupthink consensus is in the Games thread over in that other place.

Truth be told, one broke-back Canadian has more influence on how I spend my money than every Steam sale and advertising dollar in the world, combined.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for pointing out that other thread guys. :)

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Feenix posted:

Thanks for pointing out that other thread guys. :)

Agree, while I like hearing from developers and the issues they deal with creating the games we play.. I would like to have this thread dedicated to those games that we play.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

loudog999 posted:

Agree, while I like hearing from developers and the issues they deal with creating the games we play.. I would like to have this thread dedicated to those games that we play.

Boo no! Feenix is old, smarmy, and a senile old coot don't listen to him!

Ps - are we playing SC together you ancient geezer, this year or what?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

I picked up I, Gladiator on your recommendation and I am digging it so far. It sort of scratches that Infinity Blade itch. Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

How are you doing in it? Im doing fine with my dual swords until one of those fat guys comes around and wrecks me.. my only strategy at that point is to try to lure them into a trap, steal their weapon, which they seem to be super weak against.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Do any of you know if FIFA for iPad turns off audio from other apps?

That's always a deal breaker for me, can't cope with games messing up my podcast flow.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

loudog999 posted:

How are you doing in it? Im doing fine with my dual swords until one of those fat guys comes around and wrecks me.. my only strategy at that point is to try to lure them into a trap, steal their weapon, which they seem to be super weak against.

I never even thought of that. I'm rocking the first sword and a shield and I dodge around the fat guy every time he telegraphs a wind up swing. If you circle far enough around him that seems to interrupt his two combo swing followed by the unblockable belly bump. Also that prevents the second guy from sneaking up on me while I focus on fatty. Having said that I did spring for a salve potion half way through so what do I know.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any decent iOS roguelikes? I'm not talking about ports, they just don't play very well. I've tried 100Rogues but I'm kind of turned off of it now given all the bugs, which is unfortunate, as it's really close to what I'm craving.

It's a port, but no one in this thread has recommended my go to http://appshopper.com/games/rogue
. It is a port, but once you get used to the gesture controls I feel it to be fantastic. I've been playing it since my 2G and still come back to it all the time. I think the only two apps I've used more are Awful and Safari. Note for Rogue: Only play in landscape. The portrait mode has sprites, and that is simply not what I am looking for.

On a semi-related note, I also have no regrets on paying for Snipes the day it came out. Not a roguelike, but a classic game. http://appshopper.com/games/snipes

I also have 100 Rogues--crashed too much for too long, I never put more than an hour in, Sword of Fargoal--which is good, but missing the appropriate feeling of danger for me, and Bit Dungeon--closer to Zelda, and absolutely no chance of danger. I know I've tried others, but these are the ones that were of note to me.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

I never even thought of that. I'm rocking the first sword and a shield and I dodge around the fat guy every time he telegraphs a wind up swing. If you circle far enough around him that seems to interrupt his two combo swing followed by the unblockable belly bump. Also that prevents the second guy from sneaking up on me while I focus on fatty. Having said that I did spring for a salve potion half way through so what do I know.

If they could find a way to make the none combat control less clunky this could be my favorite iOS game, as it is now, it really is a fund game to gently caress around with.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

loudog999 posted:

If they could find a way to make the none combat control less clunky this could be my favorite iOS game, as it is now, it really is a fund game to gently caress around with.

This sounds really fun. I've wanted a nice bloody slice fest for a while and I'm bored of IB at the moment. Downloading it now.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Block Fortress is addicting as poo poo and fun as hell. Well worth the $1.99 and I dropped more on the XP doubler and a little stack of ~premium currency~ (which is pretty reasonably priced and not terrible to just earn out in small amounts if you wanna pass on buying it).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

duckfarts posted:

It's pretty annoying.

OK, I'll avoid the one-sentence paragraph style, since that annoys people. Also, I appreciate that you gave Crickler a chance and all of that.

Look, as to the Ford thing ... I just was letting people know about it. I am not the only poster who posts about their own apps either and believe it our not, not all my posts are about our apps. I know the Ford thing appeals more to gear-heads, but they are pretty decent puzzles.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do we have a release date for Dungeon Hearts?

[e] 3/28

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 13, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

You're right. When you're not advertising your (terrible) games you're trying to mine us for market research data.

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

VideoGameVet posted:

OK, I'll avoid the one-sentence paragraph style, since that annoys people. Also, I appreciate that you gave Crickler a chance and all of that.

Look, as to the Ford thing ... I just was letting people know about it. I am not the only poster who posts about their own apps either and believe it our not, not all my posts are about our apps. I know the Ford thing appeals more to gear-heads, but they are pretty decent puzzles.

Let me know when Crickler is universal. So lazy.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Raveyyy posted:

Let me know when Crickler is universal. So lazy.

It's not universal? Some Video Game Mobile CEO Veteran he is. That's Mobile CEOing 101!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 13, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I wish some tech type would port the Tome4 engine to ios, that's a fantastic Rogue type which I (with no programming knowledge whatsoever) would presume/hope would run decently on this architecture.

In the meantime I suppose we can keep on waiting for Dungeons of Dredmore to turn out not to be a photoshop hoax and actually be coming out on the ipad. Just like Legends of Grimlock. *sigh*

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Fazana posted:

In the meantime I suppose we can keep on waiting for Dungeons of Dredmore to turn out not to be a photoshop hoax and actually be coming out on the ipad. Just like Legends of Grimlock. *sigh*
Wait, the Dreadmore port was a hoax? ... god dammit :( It's been on my PC for a year, but I keep holding off, because it seems ideal for tablet.

The rumored in-progress FTL port is real, though, right?

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Shalinor posted:

It better be, because I have been holding off on playing FTL until it gets an iPad port after only 37 hours of gameplay.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Wait, the Dreadmore port was a hoax? ... god dammit :( It's been on my PC for a year, but I keep holding off, because it seems ideal for tablet.

They were planning of making it for the ipad, but I think they have that on hold for their new game. It is a shame because DoD would fit so well with the ipad.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Damnit, why'd you guys have to make The Quest sound so good. I just paid five whole dollars for an iPod game.

So far it's pretty fun though!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Shalinor posted:

Sorry my wording was very poor, I more meant as it has been a year+ now and there's still nothing (not even hints afaik) and they are beavering away on a completely different game I've pretty much abandoned hope it will ever appear. Saying hoax was just an offhand comment instead of saying vapourware. I'd love to be wrong!

I'd forgotten about FTL, there's another I'd grab on day one.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Shalinor posted:

Don't hold off on DoD! it's pretty fun anyway. It'd be nice on iOS but that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Paco de Suave posted:

It better be, because I have been holding off on playing FTL until it gets an iPad port after only 37 hours of gameplay.

Same but I cut myself off at around a hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Flame112 posted:

Damnit, why'd you guys have to make The Quest sound so good. I just paid five whole dollars for an iPod game.

So far it's pretty fun though!

It's a monsterous game, if you enjoy it enough to play through the base game, you'll get your money's worth.

• Locked thread