Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

Firstborn posted:

I'm currently watching a very strange adaptation of Dante's Inferno on Netflix instant, and I don't mean the video game tie-in. It's... quite interesting. A modern take on the subject matter using... what I can only describe as still picture cut-outs. It's very well done, and pretty faithful to the themes of the original. It's fun.

Yes, the Sandow Birk adaptation! The entire Divine Comedy is available in graphic novel form. I'm teaching it fall semester and I'm so excited about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mike the TV posted:

It is definitely a surprise RomCom. So absolutely get the wife/girlfriend to watch it too.

I thought it was going to be a doofy thing full of in-jokes and such (because of what it's based on) but it ended up being pretty fantastic.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is still up, and it's pretty goddamn funny. Blake Harrison steals the show right out from underneath David Cross, if you ask me.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
All 5 of The Prophecy movies are available on streaming now. The first 3, which are the only ones worth watching, star Christopher Walken (being Christopher Walken) as Gabriel the Angel of Death, who is waging a 2nd war against Heaven because he is pissed at God for making people. The first one also has Eric Stoltz and Viggo Mortensen in it, each playing smallish roles.

PhunkMonkey
Apr 15, 2001

Sham I Am posted:

All 5 of The Prophecy movies are available on streaming now. The first 3, which are the only ones worth watching, star Christopher Walken (being Christopher Walken) as Gabriel the Angel of Death, who is waging a 2nd war against Heaven because he is pissed at God for making people. The first one also has Eric Stoltz and Viggo Mortensen in it, each playing smallish roles.

While I have only seen the first, I will second that it, and possibly they, are awesome. When I was younger, the local VHS rental store did a 4 movies for 4 days for 4 dollars deal. The Prophecy made it in the mix many times.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bronson is expiring on the 11th, since Netflix can't keep anything good, it seems. If you haven't seen it and you aren't squeamish, watch it while you still can!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Shaolin Grandma is incredible, and not at all what you think it is. Go watch it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think Big Fish just got added? It showed up in the New Arrivals page at least. Great movie, one of my favorites.

Even if I'm wrong, go watch Big Fish.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Season 3 of Archer is finally up. Enjoy!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

existenz is up now. If you like Cronenberg, disturbing body horror images, Willem Dafoe and Jennifer Jason Leigh go check it out. I avoided it when it was in theaters because I didn't know Cronenberg directed it and it sounded like a cheesy B movie trying to cash in on the popularity of gaming, then I just saw it for the first time within the last year or so and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

Speaking of Willem, I just checked out The Hunter, really nice slow burn thriller.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I just watched Iron Sky. I remember reading about how it was going to world premier in Germany or something silly like that. I don't know. It is an awful movie all around. If it did open in Germany, then I feel bad not only because that is tasteless decision, but because it is just so, so bad.

Think I'm going to watch Big Fish, if it is on Netflix, just to forget everything I just watched.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

existenz is up now. If you like Cronenberg, disturbing body horror images, Willem Dafoe and Jennifer Jason Leigh go check it out. I avoided it when it was in theaters because I didn't know Cronenberg directed it and it sounded like a cheesy B movie trying to cash in on the popularity of gaming, then I just saw it for the first time within the last year or so and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

Speaking of Willem, I just checked out The Hunter, really nice slow burn thriller.

eXistenZ is indeed awesome. I'm not even a big Cronenberg fan because I have such a weak stomach, but I loved it.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
According to InstantWatcher, Season 1 (the only season) of The Black Donnellys is up and is a phenomenal show. The pilot will pull you in and you'll be wishing for more seasons by the end. It's about four Irish brothers in New York's Hell's Kitchen that get more and more involved in organized crime (Italians and Irish mob). Also it has Olivia Wilde.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Firstborn posted:

I'm currently watching a very strange adaptation of Dante's Inferno on Netflix instant, and I don't mean the video game tie-in. It's... quite interesting. A modern take on the subject matter using... what I can only describe as still picture cut-outs. It's very well done, and pretty faithful to the themes of the original. It's fun.

Saw this over this recommendation. It's loving FANTASTIC. It replaces some renaisannce Italy politics with contemporary ones but keeps in the political satire of the original, and is hilarious. Very. Hilarious. Like the Inferno was meant to be, oddly enough.
Also, it's not using still picture cut-outs, it uses paper puppets, and actually uses it to great effect.
8th circle lobbyist kickline

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Mar 12, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Homeybeef posted:

Season 3 of Archer is finally up. Enjoy!

Totally TWISTED and (5) others orgasmed over your post.*

*probably more than 5 others

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Totally TWISTED posted:

Totally TWISTED and (5) others orgasmed over your post.*

*probably more than 5 others

sploosh

Seriously, go watch Archer.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I just watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" with the wife last night and we both liked it. It didn't change the way I look at movies or anything, but it was funny, charming, and held my interest the whole time.

Also, as I understand it, at the end of this month we have Motha Fuckin Adventure Time to look forward to on Netflix streaming. SHMOWZOW!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

sploosh

Seriously, go watch Archer.

Or whatever it is in my case.

Which I guess is still sploosh.

But with semen.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Hey, I just saw Equilibrium slide by. It's an action flick about a not-too-distant future in which mankind decides that human emotion is the cause of all war and strife, and comes up with a chemical solution to the problem--a drug that is required by law to be taken several times a day. Lots of gunfights and Christian Bale being a badass and putting the hurt on various scrubs--it's a fun film.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey, I just saw Equilibrium slide by. It's an action flick about a not-too-distant future in which mankind decides that human emotion is the cause of all war and strife, and comes up with a chemical solution to the problem--a drug that is required by law to be taken several times a day. Lots of gunfights and Christian Bale being a badass and putting the hurt on various scrubs--it's a fun film.
Seconding this. It got overlooked on release as being a Matrix-style cash in but it's pretty good in its own right and the action style they developed for it is pretty neat.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jojoinnit posted:

Seconding this. It got overlooked on release as being a Matrix-style cash in but it's pretty good in its own right and the action style they developed for it is pretty neat.

The original posters and DVD cover art didn't help this, saying something along the lines of "FORGET THE MATRIX, THIS FILM WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!" :suicide:

It's really great, and Taye Diggs is wonderful as always. Plus, Sean Bean is in it, and you can't go wrong with Sean Bean, right?

edit: Holy shitsnacks, look at all the new stuff! Shaolin Soccer in the original Cantonese with English subtitles on by default? Marry me, Netflix :swoon:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Mar 13, 2013

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The original posters and DVD cover art didn't help this, saying something along the lines of "FORGET THE MATRIX, THIS FILM WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!" :suicide:

It's really great, and Taye Diggs is wonderful as always. Plus, Sean Bean is in it, and you can't go wrong with Sean Bean, right?

I can watch Sean Bean die all day long.

Seriously though, it is a great movie to kill an hour and a half with.

HexagonalSun
Mar 2, 2013

NUKE THE SWISS

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I just watched Iron Sky. I remember reading about how it was going to world premier in Germany or something silly like that. I don't know. It is an awful movie all around. If it did open in Germany, then I feel bad not only because that is tasteless decision, but because it is just so, so bad.

Think I'm going to watch Big Fish, if it is on Netflix, just to forget everything I just watched.

Iron Sky ruled, I have no idea what you're talking about. Militarized space stations, planet-crackers and palin clones abound; throw in some Nazis and you have a winning formula.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Side by Side is a pretty engaging doc about cinema's switch to digital if you're into that sort of thing. Don't let the Keanu narration scare you, he does fine.

The Story of Film: an Odyssey could be an at-home film study course, but its narration is god awful. If anything watch the first one just to see how it all began.

PowderKeg has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Mar 14, 2013

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Stingray Sam is a faux-retro sci-fi musical about space cowboys with a vaguely Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-ish sense of humor. If none of those things convince you to watch it, I give up.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
The ESPN 30 for 30 You Don't Know Bo is up! Deion Sanders may have been in both the Super Bowl and the World Series, but Bo went to the Pro Bowl and the All-Star game.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

http://youtu.be/Q1ertVYn750

Disregard the immense score, the glowing visuals, storytelling so brazen and competent that it weaves the yarn as a photo negative does, and the unadulterated insanity- BTBR is worth a watch for being a period piece so convincing you will find yourself in disbelief when the look and feel convince your senses it was shot the year the story takes place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I finally cracked under the constant recommendations of every single goddamn person I know and started House of Cards. It's good. It's really, really good and Spacey is both amazing and terrifying in it. Watch it right the gently caress now.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I finally cracked under the constant recommendations of every single goddamn person I know and started House of Cards. It's good. It's really, really good and Spacey is both amazing and terrifying in it. Watch it right the gently caress now.

It is surprisingly good, and I've always thought that Kevin Spacey was overly stylized and artificial as an actor, but it really works for him in this role. Robin Wright is good in it, too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I started Downton Abbey last night and was up until 4 AM finishing season one.

It's too bad about the Amazon streaming deal, but :20bux: a season on iTunes isn't bad at all so I'll probably go that route.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I just discovered that your Netflix account works when you travel abroad. I'm visiting my parents and logged on out of curiosity and got a little "traveling with Netflix" popup and it populated with the UK selection, which is pretty cool of them.

On a second note, Netflix UK has a lot more cool stuff I want to watch and less of the filler of the US one due to having a pretty good BBC and Channel 4 selection (Louis Theroux documentaries!) along with most of the good stuff from the US like Breaking Bad and Archer. I might look into setting up a VPN when I get back.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Mar 25, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

I just discovered that your Netflix account works when you travel abroad. I'm visiting my parents and logged on out of curiosity and got a little "traveling with Netflix" popup and it populated with the UK selection, which is pretty cool of them.

On a second note, Netflix UK has a lot more cool stuff I want to watch and less of the filler of the US one due to having a pretty good BBC and Channel 4 selection (Louis Theroux documentaries!) along with most of the good stuff from the US like Breaking Bad and Archer. I might look into setting up a VPN when I get back.

Does it have That Mitchell and Webb look, still? I will be so jealous if it does.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Does it have That Mitchell and Webb look, still? I will be so jealous if it does.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oh good god. That was my favorite show on Netflix 'til they lost it. Some of Britain's best sketch comedy, which I don't say lightly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh good god. That was my favorite show on Netflix 'til they lost it. Some of Britain's best sketch comedy, which I don't say lightly.

I wasn't such a fan of Peep Show (sacrilege, I know) but I'll check it out while I'm here. I saw a couple episodes of their other sketch show and remember thinking it was quite good. I don't want to get involved in :filez: but I don't think it's too difficult to get a UK ip.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
I don't think we have a thread for it but since it is related Event Horizon is on Amazon Instant. Solid space horror second to only Alien that holds up exceedingly well.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I don't know if it's been mentioned... or if I mentioned earlier??... but it's all on free Hulu

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Captain Lavender posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned... or if I mentioned earlier??... but it's all on free Hulu

Is it all on there now? The last time I looked they only had about ten selected episodes from different seasons.

Why is it not on dvd for us stinking Americanos. :sigh:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The wife and I wanted a stupid horror movie so we randomly chose House Hunting because of Marc Singer. While not good it's worth a watch if you're really bored one night.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

jojoinnit posted:

I wasn't such a fan of Peep Show (sacrilege, I know) but I'll check it out while I'm here. I saw a couple episodes of their other sketch show and remember thinking it was quite good. I don't want to get involved in :filez: but I don't think it's too difficult to get a UK ip.

If it helps your decision, Peep Show and Mitchell and Webb Look are pretty different styles of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I watched the first 30 minutes of V/H/S and turned it off. Goddamn that movie is terrible.

• Locked thread