Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CapnAndy posted:

Belkar is legitimately upset and doesn't feel worthy of Durkon's sacrifice.

I guess he forgot to just fake the character growth.

Everything seems serious when you're down 5 HP a level and level drained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

I don't know if Belkar has ever Ben a victim before.
The Order has been treating Belkar like poo poo for years now.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Paperio posted:

:siren:#880: Getting the Message.:siren:

It's hard to look at the Kickstarter picture now.

Jesus, Roy's such a dick.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Call Now posted:

Let's not forget that he was temporarily willing to abandon Ethan and the rest of the party to bandits.

Despite being LG with high int and cha, Roy can be an incredibly insensitive twatwaffle sometimes.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ursine Asylum posted:

Let's not forget that he was temporarily willing to abandon Ethan and the rest of the party to bandits.

Despite being LG with high int and cha, Roy can be an incredibly insensitive twatwaffle sometimes.

And he was willing to lie to his party members to get them to agree to go on his starmetal sidequest.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Whose Ethan?

Also, this is just a classic "Boy Cries Wolf" scenario, Belkar's spent so much time being Belkar that of course Roy's skeptical of him.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Roy has deep character flaws, just like the rest of the cast. His are just more subtle and less grounded in D&D than the others'.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yes, Roy can be a dick. But.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Also I can imagine that Roy is kind of freaking the gently caress out right now (inwardly if not outwardly), and not thinking straight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Belkar has pulled "Ha ha, got you" stuff before.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
That to, what's more palatable: that his best friend in all the world is a Vampire now, or that Belkar is a lying poo poo.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

The Rooster posted:

Whose Ethan?

My Ethan :v:

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Penis Ouija posted:

What Niton said, or if his vampirism comes with a free conversion to Nergal, he'd be bringing death and destruction in a more abstract sense, that being Nergal's domain.

e: Well, poo poo. I was not expecting to feel sorry for Belkar today...

There's no reason to assume that Durkon will convert. The prophecy is easily fulfilled in the case that Malack survives this gate and Durkon leads his new master to the next, or at least as close as he can know it to be. Which just happens to be the Dwarven homelands.

In this way Durkon brings "death and destruction" and pretty much guarantees that when Malack is finally killed Durkon gets to know that because of his actions he's caused terrible harm to his people.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Call Now posted:

I read it more as intense denial, lashing out rather than even consider it as a possibility and be all :negative:

Stages of grief and all that. :eng101:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The Rooster posted:

Whose Ethan?

3 hours of sleep and nightmares about the CAD Mock Thread do not a coherent post make.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Call Now posted:

Dudes in denial that his best friend was murdered. he can see the bite marks, he knows belkar is telling the truth, he just doesn't want to admit it. It is a completely plausible reaction for the character

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

razorrozar posted:

Yes, Roy can be a dick. But.

And of course that whole thing also featured him nearly getting kicked out of Lawful Good heaven for nearly leaving Elan to die (though weirdly/stupidly, to Neutral Good rather than Lawful Neutral, because of course Lawful Good is Best and the kind of person whose alignment is literally "Benevolent" would totally leave a person they found annoying behind to their potential demise). Likewise, I am pretty sure that none of the Good heavens would approve of him wanting Belkar to die, even if he is/has been a terrible person. Roy's positively eager to see it happen, and has been for long before this particular event.

It's not that Roy "can be" a dick. Roy is a dick. He's still a Good guy and definitely not Evil or anything, but he's also an rear end in a top hat.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yeppers.

Brannock posted:

I'm pretty sure Belkar is going to either survive (by way of having his old self "die") or die an ironic death at the hands of Roy. If you look through the previous strips, Belkar has been progressively becoming less lovely/Evil, but Roy still treats him just as badly as he always has. And now Belkar is genuinely concerned about Durkon and is running back to the Order to tell them what happened to Durkon - how do you think Roy's gonna take that?

He'll probably be incredibly angry that Belkar separating himself from the party got Durkon killed.

Though Roy came just short of finishing Belkar off.

I wonder if they'll retreat now that they don't have Durkon's Planar Ally to protect the Gate and they don't have V either for spells. The Order is a sitting duck right now. If they stick around they're liable to get killed when Xykon shows up. They could start working on figuring out how to destroy the Gate, I guess.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Roland Jones posted:

It's not that Roy "can be" a dick. Roy is a dick. He's still a Good guy and definitely not Evil or anything, but he's also an rear end in a top hat.

This is an important thing to remember. Roy inherited a sadistic streak from his dad and he really enjoys making people he doesn't like suffer. It slips by the reader easily because it's always played for laughs and the victim is always an unsympathetic character, but objectively speaking, Roy isn't a nice person.

I was a bit surprised that Roy didn't drag out his fight with Thog and slap Thog around like a chump for a while in the gladiator fight.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

And of course that whole thing also featured him nearly getting kicked out of Lawful Good heaven for nearly leaving Elan to die (though weirdly/stupidly, to Neutral Good rather than Lawful Neutral, because of course Lawful Good is Best and the kind of person whose alignment is literally "Benevolent" would totally leave a person they found annoying behind to their potential demise).

He nearly got moved to True Neutral for tha one, actually.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0488.html

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

inthesto posted:

This is an important thing to remember. Roy inherited a sadistic streak from his dad and he really enjoys making people he doesn't like suffer. It slips by the reader easily because it's always played for laughs and the victim is always an unsympathetic character, but objectively speaking, Roy isn't a nice person.

I was a bit surprised that Roy didn't drag out his fight with Thog and slap Thog around like a chump for a while in the gladiator fight.
Which one was the episode that highlighted readers' reactions to Thog, saying something like "no matter how many people he kills, everyone loves him?"

Turns out he really is Roy's LG equivalent after all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nostalgamus posted:

He nearly got moved to True Neutral for tha one, actually.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0488.html

Whoops, right, thanks for the correction. Got the two events mixed up; the True Neutral thing makes more sense; I just didn't remember it because the "kicked over to the Neutral Good afterlife" thing bugged me a lot. Been a while since I reread the comic and all too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm willing to give Roy a pass on this one. Given Roy and Durkon's history together (go read On the Origin of PCs), it's easy to believe that Roy would rather assume Belkar's just loving with everyone for some sick joke than accept the idea that his best friend and the guy he's been adventuring with the longest is now an unholy abomination. Roy's face in the last panel is absolutely heartbreaking. :(

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Roland Jones posted:

. Likewise, I am pretty sure that none of the Good heavens would approve of him wanting Belkar to die, even if he is/has been a terrible person.
Nah. Remember that paladins can genocide evil species with full approval, or Roy can coup de grace sleeping foes with no issues, murdering an chaotic evil bellar while he is incapicitated won't be a problem

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm willing to give Roy a pass on this one. Given Roy and Durkon's history together (go read On the Origin of PCs), it's easy to believe that Roy would rather assume Belkar's just loving with everyone for some sick joke than accept the idea that his best friend and the guy he's been adventuring with the longest is now an unholy abomination. Roy's face in the last panel is absolutely heartbreaking. :(

Belkar's made worse jokes before, after all. If anything the surprise here is how serious he is about it and giving Durkon credit where credit's due.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

Nah. Remember that paladins can genocide evil species with full approval, or Roy can coup de grace sleeping foes with no issues, murdering an chaotic evil bellar while he is incapicitated won't be a problem

The problem here is I don't know if Belkar is still CE. Has he done anything CE-worthy since being a jerk to the fellow prisoners in Bleedingham? He's killed slavers, fascist guards, saved his cat and his friends, freed a dinosaur to save the bounty hunters ...

You could tell me he was CN now and I'd buy it. Well, I guess torturing the kobold was pretty Evil of him.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Brannock posted:

The problem here is I don't know if Belkar is still CE. Has he done anything CE-worthy since being a jerk to the fellow prisoners in Bleedingham? He's killed slavers, fascist guards, saved his cat and his friends, freed a dinosaur to save the bounty hunters ...

You could tell me he was CN now and I'd buy it. Well, I guess torturing the kobold was pretty Evil of him.

What alignment was the kobold?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Colonial Air Force posted:

What alignment was the kobold?

Shouldn't matter; the act of torture itself is always an Evil act, regardless of the victim's own alignment.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brannock posted:

As far as I remember the timescale here, he was in the Bleedingham slave pits yesterday in comic-time. If you have to ask "other than the torture, what evil stuff has he done today?" he's probably still evil.

Might be due for an alignment shift, though. He certainly seems to lament Durkon's death, and he even tried to warn the others before finding away to get himself healed.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Might be due for an alignment shift, though. He certainly seems to lament Durkon's death, and he even tried to warn the others before finding away to get himself healed.

As Malack has shown, you can care about your own teammates and still be evil.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tenebrais posted:

As far as I remember the timescale here, he was in the Bleedingham slave pits yesterday in comic-time. If you have to ask "other than the torture, what evil stuff has he done today?" he's probably still evil.

Evil people can care about friends/family/loved ones. Just look at Redcloak or Tarquin.

As soon as Belkar stops murdering and tortuing people by choice, and actually tries to help people, he might drag it up. Remember too that the planes care about intent, and right now he's faking character growth so he can keep living and keep murdering.

This probably does represent some actual growth on Belkar's part, but he's got a hell of a long way to go including developing a real desire to not be evil he's never really deminstrated. Even this is mostly shock amd fear.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

This is worth re-iterating. We've known that Belkar's experiencing a genuine change for ages. Roy doesn't, and in strip time this change is incredibly recent anyway.

This also isn't behaviour that's out of tune with the rest of the group. Haley was going to abandon Belkar when she found out the Mark of Justice activated before her memory got wiped. Roy was explicitly warned in the afterlife 'what the hell are you doing hanging out with this guy'.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zore posted:

As soon as Belkar stops murdering and tortuing people by choice, and actually tries to help people, he might drag it up. Remember too that the planes care about intent, and right now he's faking character growth so he can keep living and keep murdering.
He's not faking any more. He means it about Mr. Scruffy, and in this one he's obviously disgusted with himself because he feels unworthy of Durkon's sacrifice.

And really, wouldn't the best eternal punishment for Belkar be getting bumped to CN and not getting allowed to fight in the Blood Wars?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If we go by V's slide towards neutral (intending to do good not being good enough AND neutral being good with evil mixed in) then surely Belkar would be neutral too. He does good, he does evil, whatever floats his boat.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Sneak attack alignment debate...

natural twenty

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

If we go by V's slide towards neutral (intending to do good not being good enough AND neutral being good with evil mixed in) then surely Belkar would be neutral too. He does good, he does evil, whatever floats his boat.

Problem is, whatever floats his boat tends to be the evil side of neutral at best. Although I guess the argument could be made that he tends to stay on track when you make sure he's pointed in the right direction, so the only "evil" is "enjoying the killing too much".

And on the other other hand, Holy Word did affect him, so I'd call that pretty definitive.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You had to have these strips to get Roy's reaction to Durkon's death and vampification. I accept that. What I want to see now is the next one where Mr. Big Brain tries to figure out what to do about a now much stronger Linear Guild when his resources are himself, Haley, Elan, half of Belkar, and Mr. Scruffy.

Also, and this would be a great time for him to get a Sending from Hinjo saying that, oh, by the way, Xykon's on his way right loving now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ursine Asylum posted:

Problem is, whatever floats his boat tends to be the evil side of neutral at best. Although I guess the argument could be made that he tends to stay on track when you make sure he's pointed in the right direction, so the only "evil" is "enjoying the killing too much".

And on the other other hand, Holy Word did affect him, so I'd call that pretty definitive.

Holy word affects any non good.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I just realized another extra obstacle for the Order - not only have the lost Durkon and kind of lost V, but they just disabled the traps for the possible gate, while the LG's rogue was banished. Kind of a crappy place to be defending now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

CapnAndy posted:

And really, wouldn't the best eternal punishment for Belkar be getting bumped to CN and not getting allowed to fight in the Blood Wars?

No D&D campaign I've been a part has lasted long enough to get into deep cosmological specifics, if you're judged in the afterlife according to your alignment, what happens to Evil character like Nale, Tarquin and Malack, if Good characters are rewarded for following their alignment? Do they go to hell(s) for being Evil, or is there destination determined by adherence to their alignment as well? (Apologies if this is a :downs: question.)