Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
For anyone who wants, Westminster is streaming live from each ring, and Cardigans are up next in ring 5! Neigé and I are watching.

EDIT: the link

ButWhatIf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

ButWhatIf posted:

For anyone who wants, Westminster is streaming live from each ring, and Cardigans are up next in ring 5! Neigé and I are watching.

EDIT: the link

Gah, missed it! Corra's brother hurt his foot just before going into the ring and his handler decided it was best to pull him from the competition - he was apparently pretty pissed ;)

I also watched this video this morning - I giggled a little too hard! The one with more white on her is Harper (Corra's half sister) and the mostly black one is Moth (Corra's 3/4's sister - I dunno how that works, same dad, Moth's mom is Corra's half sister). I love how they sound just like my rear end in a top hat dog!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Exciting update in the world of adorable things: My husband and I are ready to add Corgi #2 to the household. There's a picture of Penny attached at the bottom (since I'm a big idiot who doesn't know how to remove an attachment once it's made). She's a little bit of a nut around other dogs, especially girls, so we've settled on a boy to be her housemate. Her breeders just had a litter from her half-sister (same sire), and they've been sending us pictures of the litter. They're five weeks old this week!

The one on the right is Boy #1, Rocky.

EDIT: Here's the other boy, Corbin.

We'll definitely need to meet them to decide, since the whole litter is beautiful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 15, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I'll take one please.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Oh god they are so adorable! I so want one but can't afford the doggy day care :(

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
My dog has two emotions, I've found: on and off.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I think Refurb and Tycho are my favorite Something Awful pair, avatar notwithstanding. They're like the oddest of the odd couples.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Speaking of which, I'm guessing there was a Trophy thread around here? Because there's a hell of a lot of (awesome) trophytars in PI.

As for the Tycho/Refurb pair, they get along pretty well when she's not plotting something.

(credit to The BSD Boys in yospos for this)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Golden-i posted:

Speaking of which, I'm guessing there was a Trophy thread around here? Because there's a hell of a lot of (awesome) trophytars in PI.

That's just Gar bein' Gar mostly. We did have a neat Trophy thread at one time but I think it's in archives now. The avs usually end up being random gifts as an attempt to help Trophy take over the forums entirely. I approve of this mission.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh hey are we posting pictures of our dogs :v:

When we were at my parents' place, he'd sleep by the door whenever my mom or dad were out. They thought he only did that for me but little did they know that he loved them too :3:

I took a couple close-ups when he was asleep on the stairs.

Including this one, showing off what my GF fondly refers to as his "mascara"-

Ugly holiday sweater.

Golden-i posted:

As for the Tycho/Refurb pair, they get along pretty well when she's not plotting something.

(credit to The BSD Boys in yospos for this)

Hah, that's awesome. I should give YOSPOS a shot one of these days.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

After a couple of weeks of medication, Panda has really improved. Here are some before and after pictures

Before (posted earlier)

Now

We really weren't expecting such a quick clearing of the skin and hair regrowth. A lot of the dark colored skin spots have faded and the bald spots are starting to fill in again. We're really happy and so is she. Only bad thing is our cat just broke his hip and had to have surgery. :smith: I'm really tired of vets and vet bills. Please, no more pet issues.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
You know what this thread needs?

More year 2013 CORGIS!

Also I hope Panda's condition has improved over this month. Would really love to see that adorable smile again. :)

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I've been lurking in this thread for about a year now, and my patience is finally paying off! Tonight I'll be bringing home a 4 year old Pem from a rescue in Ohio. She had a mild allergic reaction to her last round of vaccinations this morning, so hopefully I'll be able to post some photos tonight if I'm not covered in dog vomit. Thank you all for having such wonderful dogs, they really inspired my decision to go with a corgi!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Break Fast posted:

Also I hope Panda's condition has improved over this month. Would really love to see that adorable smile again. :)

Panda is looking a lot better but she's not smiling in this picture because she spent a week at my parents' house playing with their golden retriever, Daisy. She is absolutely exhausted.

Here's a different side of her playing ferociously with Daisy. According to my mom, they wore each other out and spent a lot of time sleeping next to each other. They're best friends.

Millions posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for about a year now, and my patience is finally paying off! Tonight I'll be bringing home a 4 year old Pem from a rescue in Ohio. She had a mild allergic reaction to her last round of vaccinations this morning, so hopefully I'll be able to post some photos tonight if I'm not covered in dog vomit. Thank you all for having such wonderful dogs, they really inspired my decision to go with a corgi!

Congrats, Millions. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new addition.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Here is my favorite picture of me and my Corgi so far:

Here is a video of him playing with other dogs:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151274994057827&l=8361685653021076192

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I wanted to share something I found extremely true and funny at the same time.

quote:

Special Corgi Traits

There are ten other items that make us special as a breed.

1. Border Collies are famous for "THE EYE", a non-stop stare that can stop a sheep in its tracks. The Golden Retriever is renowned for "THE EYE SHIFT", an eye movement that steers humans to the tennis ball. The PWC's ability exceeds both. The Corgi specializes in BRAIN BORING. Brain boring is the ability to stare at a human and suck key information out of their mind. Corgis use this skill daily to gather information about meals, times that they might sneak up on the kitchen table for a nap, and possible outings that are being planned.

2. Corgis are Olympic quality shedders. This is good. One Corgi will shed enough to assemble another Corgi in about a week, according to Ellen Clary. There are never too many Corgis.

3. Corgis are able to stretch out on the floor or bed with their legs straight back. This allows them to pose as a flying squirrel and beg for nuts.

4. Recent research substantiates what Corgi owners have always known. That is, Corgis are able to hear a crumb hit the floor at an average of 135 feet. One Corgi owner tells a story of her Corgis, who were sleeping soundly upstairs, waking at the smallest sound of a cookie tin being opened. This is not unusual. I once heard a grain of rice hit the tile in the kitchen while I was disciplining the neighbor from the back corner of my yard.

5. The Corgi specializes in an activity called turbo FRAP, which stands for Frantic Random Acts of Play. Rachel Harris says this game involves running at top speed around the yard or furniture generally in a figure eight, wearing a huge grin and appearing temporarily possessed. The reality is that we are running for two reasons. The first is to take our mind off the fact that we are starving. The second is to impress on our owners how many calories we are burning which certainly calls for a larger ration.

6. In addition to their running ability, Corgis quickly master a quick stop on linoleum or tile in order to slide a maximum distance. Two friends recently went head to head in a "slide off." In a best-out-of-three slide format, Peanut won with a spectacular distance of eight feet and three inches.

7. The Corgi who lives with larger dogs seems to display an interest in dentistry. Deb Eldredge writes, "We had to remove Flash from Bubba's throat on more than one occasion." This activity is actually based on a small hope that a bit of food will be found lodged in the larger dog's teeth.

8. Corgis not only collect stuffed animals, they also kill and disembowel them. Corgi owners must either replace them frequently or re-stuff and stitch. Corgis enjoy the ritual of a stuffed animal surgery.

9. While other dogs are learning to ignore food distractions during training, the Corgi is able to pick up treats without breaking stride. This practical skill earns talented dogs the title of Hoover Dog (HD).

10. Despite their short stature, the Corgi is very athletic. They will consider herding, tracking, freestyle, and agility on a "will-work-for-food basis." In agility, the often speedy Corgi has become famous for its ability to top off a great run by knocking down a single bar. The Corgi believes this to be a very amusing dog joke. Agility Corgis bet among themselves to see who can run entire courses cleanly and then, just when their handler's hopes are soaring, knock down the last bar.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

It's been two nights since I brought this wild animal into my house. This is Tegan!

Her original owner was an elderly woman who took a bad fall, so the owner's family kept Tegan (formerly Gracie) around as an outside dog for 4 months before relinquishing her to the rescue. I wasn't expecting her to be so tiny when I went to pick her up! She's 18 pounds, whereas the other two corgis she was living with at the rescue were closer to 30. Her foster parents said she's never shown any interest in toys, but the instant I squeaked her stuffed bear at home she went into destruction mode. She also already knows fetch, which is great since my last two dogs never quite grasped the "bring it back" half of the game. She's been a perfect house guest so far (with the exception of two accidents), and she's slept right by my side both nights. I'm such a proud parent :3:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
What is the best way to teach a corgi the "bring it back" half of the game?

Mine is super into chasing anything I throw and I feel like if he would figure out to bring it back then he would be into it. I can almost never get him to do it to even reward it when he does. He just blitzes toward whatever I throw, tags it with his nose, looks back at me like "Yeah, I did it," and then wanders off and does something else.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

We talk a lot about retrieving in the Dog Training Megathread. I'd specifically recommend teaching a back chained retrieve. Best thing I ever taught my dog. :3:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Millions posted:

It's been two nights since I brought this wild animal into my house. This is Tegan!

Awesome!

systran posted:

Mine is super into chasing anything I throw and I feel like if he would figure out to bring it back then he would be into it. I can almost never get him to do it to even reward it when he does. He just blitzes toward whatever I throw, tags it with his nose, looks back at me like "Yeah, I did it," and then wanders off and does something else.

Panda loves to chase after the ball/stick/whatever but she only brings it halfway back. :psyduck: She totally grasps the idea of fetch but expects me to meet her halfway when returning.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm really nervous. Our little Pita is having problems with her hips/back/legs. Before anyone says it, yes she's going to the vet today. She just randomly starts limping bad, and you'll see her back legs shake sometimes. It's all very sporadic, my fiance is a PT and she described it best, it's like her hips are dislocating and popping in and out of place. She's only 2 1/2, I knew we were potentially going to have to deal with this but I wasn't ready for it this soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

systran posted:

Oh God I know exactly what you're talking about. He does the bring it halfway act too, sometimes even bringing it 90% of the way back but he just can't seal the deal.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Funny. The corgi is obsessed with playing frisbee, she'll bring it back and shove it in your hand/face. The basset hound will bark and run a little bit but just looks at the frisbee like "why did you throw this if you want it back?"

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Went to see Guinness' best bud Hugo today.

Good news: He had a blast.
Bad news: He hurt his foot/finger on hard snow.

It's a tiny scratch. He didn't notice it much when outside or when running around the house on medium speed, but is limping when walking slowly.
I cleaned it up good, but am somewhat concerned. The friend said it's nothing.

Should I be worried about some kind of infection or anything?

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
I would keep an eye on it but it'll most likely be fine. Our corgs are huge drama queens when they step on a sharp twig or pebble and they limp like they snapped their whole leg in two.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Sooo right now I live with my girlfriend and another couple. The other couple is set to detonate sometime in the future, which means that come lease renewel in the summer, one will leave. We are going to make it the one who is the reason I don't want to get a dog, mainly that he leaves poo poo all over, leaves doors open (including doors to the outside), etc.

Basically, at that point I would be comfortable getting a dog, and it will probably be a corgi or something with corgi in it.

...no real content beyond that statement. I really just hope the shelter has one that's a few years old so we don't have to deal with a drat puppy. I'm hoping I can convince the house owners to go halfsies on putting a fence up in the back so he can have run around times without me having to leash him, as I'm not really comfortable with a dog even running around on my own property when Things Can Happen.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Apparently Alton Brown has corgis, and someone tweeted him about a corgi who needs a home. He says if someone from his followers list adopts the dog, he'll bake dog treats and deliver them himself :3:

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

Break Fast posted:

Went to see Guinness' best bud Hugo today.

Good news: He had a blast.
Bad news: He hurt his foot/finger on hard snow.

It's a tiny scratch. He didn't notice it much when outside or when running around the house on medium speed, but is limping when walking slowly.
I cleaned it up good, but am somewhat concerned. The friend said it's nothing.

Should I be worried about some kind of infection or anything?

My parents' corgis would get cuts on their paws all the time while at the dog park or snooping around the back yard up to no good. Keep the cut clean in the evenings with a little bit of peroxide or hand sanitizer. It will heal within a few days and he'll be out bombing around in no time!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Looks like a corgi made it into George W Bush's leaked paintings:

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I kind of wish it was laying on the ground in the classic corgi pose, but this will do as well. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Gotta keep those feet against the wall to reach escape velocity most efficiently.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Break Fast posted:

I kind of wish it was laying on the ground in the classic corgi pose, but this will do as well. :)

I dunno, that seems to be the classic corgi pose if you ask me...

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
To be fair, I didn't realize the light brown part is a wall.
Now that I look at it, you guys are right. Guinness too sleeps like this constantly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Yeah, seems right.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

I'm jealous that your corgis lay down at all. Tegan is in constant motion looking for toys/food.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Millions posted:

I'm jealous that your corgis lay down at all. Tegan is in constant motion looking for toys/food.

I'm just jealous that you all have such an amazing breed of dog and I can only look at the pictures rather than own one due to my fiancé's work schedule.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm just jealous that you all have such an amazing breed of dog and I can only look at the pictures rather than own one due to my fiancé's work schedule.

I share your pain. My girlfriend and I have schedules that can't support a puppy. I hate being responsible sometimes.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Tycho does not like it when I blow on his face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpXAD80xJLM

I do it anyways.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

So Eevee sleeps in her kennel until she is 100 percent sure I'm dead asleep then hops onto bed with me. This is what I saw when I woke up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
My corgi recently got colitis and had to be in his crate for a few days. This happens because he is fond of stealing tissues. Tissues just kind of turn into plugs by which poop cannot pass easily. Ugh.

In honor of my first corgi thread post, here's a picture of Paco after receiving his stocking full of treats on Christmas day:

• Locked thread