Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Remind me of that scene. You mean when he is tussling with Chakan the Forever Man before opening the attic door?

Yes, that's the scene. I can't really point what looked so off about it other than that the fog was clearly coming from somewhere inside the room, rather than just ominously being. It just looked very stage-y and not like an actual attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, they get a ton of mileage out of the two houses they shot in but probably blew their wad on the workshop at the end. The "Tiptoe Thru The Tulips" scene looked like a million bucks, it's just a great, well directed, practical effects horror movie.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
So Sami Rami's new Oz movie turns into almost a straight up Evil Dead 2 crossover at the very end. Mila Kunis in her ridiculous witch makeup flies around scaring people exactly like the horror hags do.

There's actually a lot of neat, moody atmospheric moments and a few times when he actually gets to do something fun. It's still very much a dorky, unnecessary children's movie but you'll watch it and realize that Rami is a billion times better at the dark fantasy aesthetic than Tim Burton is. He knows what to make scary and what to make cute.

I need to dust off Drag Me To Hell. I remember enjoying it a lot when I first saw it and I bet it still holds up pretty well.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

sticklefifer posted:

Because they're synonyms? That's why I mix them up, anyway.

Now go watch Atrocious and confuse yourself further.

Speaking of Spanish horror, any good ones to recommend? Off the top of my head I've seen the [REC] films, Sleep Tight, The Orphanage, Del Toro's films, and while not really horror, Timecrimes and Celda 211.

The Baby's Room
Aftermath 1&2
Who Can Kill A Child?
Shiver

The Baby's Room is awesome, might check that one out again myself.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

timeandtide posted:

Red lip stick smeared all over your face to lure in children = Darth Maul.

Making $50+ million on a $1 million budget = Producer: Nah, no sequel, DID YOU SEE THAT GHOST DESIGN? Oh what, the Saw guy did it? Ok, greenlight it as a favor I guess but tell him to watch his designs in Horro Movie 101 we teach about how to do these things right.

-Twee as gently caress

Your second point has lots of merit, but your first?

I'm sorry, but clearly the two are extremely alike. poo poo, if you were to remake all of Insidious with literally Darth Maul in it, I don't know if I'd really notice.

As far as making $50+ millions on a $1 million budget, I didn't realize that the budget was so low, I assume that it was more around $10M.

Well, yes something like this would make it more likely to have a sequel, but not every extremely profitable movie gets a sequel (Pretty Woman, etc...) or should (Blair Witch 2, etc..)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It reminded me more of this, actually. The Insidious Imp looks like he's from a black-light painting.

schwenz posted:

The Baby's Room
Aftermath 1&2
Who Can Kill A Child?
Shiver

The Baby's Room is awesome, might check that one out again myself.

While more a comedy than a horror movie, I always have to recommend Dia De La Bestia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 13, 2013

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Hah, I never noticed Darth has a gold grill before.

krunk.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

schwenz posted:

Hah, I never noticed Darth has a gold grill before.

krunk.

When does a demon decide 'I need a grill/earring?'

That seems a bit... weird.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A demon can do whatever the hell it wants to.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm still not quite sure what is going on with Darth Maul. Is he an alien, or is that an elaborate tattoo? What do the spikes do? They probably explain this, but it's not worth rewatching The Phantom Menace again.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm still not quite sure what is going on with Darth Maul. Is he an alien, or is that an elaborate tattoo? What do the spikes do? They probably explain this, but it's not worth rewatching The Phantom Menace again.

He's from space. That's all you need to know.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Twee as gently caress posted:

When does a demon decide 'I need a grill/earring?'

That seems a bit... weird.

Hellraiser pretty much established as Demon Canon that demons are heavily into body mod poo poo. If anything the Insidious demon is a bit tame, basically ineffectually haunting a kid while wearing a weaksauce little earring.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nah to get that info you have to delve into the wonderful world of the expanded universe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shanty posted:

Hellraiser pretty much established as Demon Canon that demons are heavily into body mod poo poo. If anything the Insidious demon is a bit tame, basically ineffectually haunting a kid while wearing a weaksauce little earring.

It's basically a spiritual opportunity crime. If the kid didn't want to be accosted by a demon, he wouldn't be flying in his dreams or whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Regardless of the goofy imp makeup I love that shot in the movie that the picture was taken from. It was quite the shock at the time.

That's amazing about the budget too, wow.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, at the risk of sounding a bit spergy nerd here, Darth Maul is an alien and they have horns and normal skin pigments by default, but when they get all warrior-ry or they turn evil, they apply face paint.

As Shanty stated, the imp/demon/alien thing in Insidious seems to employ body mods. I interpreted them as being primarily non-corporeal entities, and therefore not able to have something like an earring. I guess this is my bias because clearly it does. So I guess corporeal entities on another plane of existence where they are capable of creating body mods including possibly body paint.

priznat posted:

Regardless of the goofy imp makeup I love that shot in the movie that the picture was taken from it was quite the shock at the time.

That's amazing about the budget too, wow.

I thought it was an effective scene. I sorta lost interest as it went all astral plane on me. It was an OK way to end the film, but it went on too long. Another 15 minutes of buildup would have been preferable to wanking around in an alternate dimension for the last third of the film. Maybe I'm remembering it a bit wrong. Still, it's a 3 or 4 stars out of 5 though. I enjoyed it enough for one viewing and may watch it again some time.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Shanty posted:

Hellraiser pretty much established as Demon Canon that demons are heavily into body mod poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Haha I love Cabin in the Woods :h:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Shanty posted:

Counterpoint: Hellraiser 2 through 8

Second counterpoint:

checkmate :smug:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Counterpoint: Hellraiser 2 through 8

Second counterpoint:

checkmate :smug:

oh my god are those cd roms

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Shanty posted:

that he shoots out of his body and kills people with.........

yeah

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wait did someone diss Hellraiser 2 'cause that movie rules. Rest of the Hellraiser sequels are very bad, though.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

I'm short on money lately, so I've been watching a copy of Cabin in the Woods I have almost every night.

How's the Blue-Ray of this? Is there lots of good stuff on there?

I was thinking last night that I could watch the entire film from inside the control room and just enjoy Sitterson and Hadley vamping it up.

TEQUILA IS MY LADY!

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Shanty posted:

Hellraiser 7 revolves around an evil MMORPG

Seriously.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

schwenz posted:

I'm short on money lately, so I've been watching a copy of Cabin in the Woods I have almost every night.

How's the Blue-Ray of this? Is there lots of good stuff on there?
I was thinking last night that I could watch the entire film from inside the control room and just enjoy Sitterson and Hadley vamping it up.

TEQUILA IS MY LADY!

Ohh I haven't looked if it is on there but having a commentary on the disc with those two in character would be amazing.

It's the type of movie where you just want MORE of it, dammit!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is the best.

"Kevin"

"Witches"
"Sexy Witches"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is the best.

"Kevin"

"Witches"
"Sexy Witches"

That "Kevin is in a deleted scene" thing they said was a lie wasn't it?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is the best.

"Kevin"

"Witches"
"Sexy Witches"

Reminds me of the people who make a bid 1 dollar higher than other people on The Price is Right.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Drunkboxer posted:

AFAIK it's true, but just because a scene is deleted doesn't mean it'll necessarily make it to the DVD/BR extras

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Unicorn rampage made made laugh pretty hard.

Also: Angry Molesting Tree.

No one took Sugar Plum Fairy, and that one was pretty close to being picked!

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

IGN: (spoiler) Can you elaborate on Kevin, one of the murder scenarios?
Goddard: [laughs] Umm, I cannot. I feel very protective of Kevin, and I like people to try and discover it on their own.
IGN: Was there a deleted scene with him?
Goddard: You know, Kevin may actually be in the film [laughing] I will leave it at that.

According to something I read Kevin looks like a normal guy, so he could be anywhere in there.

I've never done it before in my life, but I may actually read the novelization of CITW.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

schwenz posted:

IGN: (spoiler) Can you elaborate on Kevin, one of the murder scenarios?
Goddard: [laughs] Umm, I cannot. I feel very protective of Kevin, and I like people to try and discover it on their own.
IGN: Was there a deleted scene with him?
Goddard: You know, Kevin may actually be in the film [laughing] I will leave it at that.

According to something I read Kevin looks like a normal guy, so he could be anywhere in there.

I've never done it before in my life, but I may actually read the novelization of CITW.

Yeah this is the exchange that makes me think he's just loving with fans.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 13, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I alsways assumed Kevin was supposed to be a Jason-esque slasher and just never made it in.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

weekly font posted:

I alsways assumed Kevin was supposed to be a Jason-esque slasher and just never made it in.

Actually no, he's more along the lines of Kevin from Sin City (played by the hobbit)

He's just supposed to be a normal, quiet-looking guy

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Actually no, he's more along the lines of Kevin from Sin City (played by the hobbit)

He's just supposed to be a normal, quiet-looking guy

I like this significantly less.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

weekly font posted:

I like this significantly less.

http://thecabininthewoods.wikia.com/wiki/Kevin

quote:

He is not seen during the Purge, but it has been revealed that there was a deleted scene showing him. In the novelization, Kevin is described as a quiet, normal-looking person with a small smile on his face who calmly walks through the post-Purge chaos, until he comes across an injured guard and then proceeds to "exsanguinate him in a second." When Dana finds the guard, he appears "untarnished, but Dana had never seen anyone more dead." Due to his normal appearance, any normal looking human seen in the purge could be Kevin.

He is almost conjured up by Marty, When he was playing with the film strip.

Director's comments reveal it is most like the character "Kevin" from the novel "We Need to Talk About Kevin", in which the child Kevin displays sadistic violent tendencies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Wait did someone diss Hellraiser 2 'cause that movie rules. Rest of the Hellraiser sequels are very bad, though.

You didn't like Inferno (the sorta Noir cop one)? It's the only beyond 1 and 2 I consider good. The MMO one is just hilariously bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

You didn't like Inferno (the sorta Noir cop one)? It's the only beyond 1 and 2 I consider good. The MMO one is just hilariously bad.

I did not like Inferno. I thought it was bad enough that it stopped me cold from going further down the well of Hellraiser sequels. I think if it didn't have the Hellraiser brand attached (which it originally wasn't supposed to), people would remember it as a Z-grade DTV Jacob's Ladder ripoff if they remembered it at all.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 13, 2013

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I did not like Inferno. I thought it was bad enough that it stopped me cold from going further down the well of Hellraiser sequels. I think if it didn't have the Hellraiser brand attached (which it originally wasn't supposed to), people would remember it as a Z-grade DTV Jacob's Ladder ripoff if they remembered it at all.

I can see the Jacob's Ladder ripoff elements. So you haven't seen any past that one? The last two were so bad I thought I had opened the box and was now in my own personal hell of terrible films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
For some reason I've seen all of the Hellraiser films except for the newest one without Doug Bradley. I think Inferno is the best after the first two, but that's not saying much when all the rest are steaming piles of poo poo. Although Hellworld (the MMO one) was kind of fun because it's both hilariously stupid and also has Lance Henriksen in it.