Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I hope the game follows the tradition of the second, in that you get to kill the previous game's protagonist.

Basically I hope we get to kill the poo poo out of Nowe in this game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Technically, nobody killed Caim.

Killing the loving ancient, magical dragon was easier.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I'm not sure why you'd think the gameplay is going to be awful because of Drakengard. Both Square and the former Cavia team have learned a lot about making action games since 2005. It might not be amazing but I doubt we are going to get another Dirge of Cerberus experience at this point.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I dunno, their last game before Nier was Bullet Witch. And that was basically Dirge of Cerberus, except worse.
The only interesting things about it were the setting and the premise (following Cavia's usual, "Humanity is hosed" theme). The gameplay was...urgh...:unsmigghh:

The two low points of that were the bosses. One which attacks the plane you're flying on, spawns little things that drill into the plane (which you have to kill before they blow it (or you up), and has an instakill move if you don't shoot it enough during its attack animation (if you haven't already run out of ammo killing the spawn things), and if you slide the wrong way, or get knocked back, it's possible to fall off the plane.

The final boss was even worse - depending on how you've upgraded the strongest gun, it can take anywhere from 1/2 hour, to an hour. It is invulnerable until I think either you shoot it with magic or something else, but goddamn.

Nier's gameplay was tolerable, but shallow and nothing special, but that's so much better than Bullet Witch, goddamn. :shepicide:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bullet Witch was not only hard, it was also Cavia's first foray into achievement dickery. It's rather tough but doable to get 999 of 1000 achievement points, but that very last point demands you to beat this already bullshit hard game on its hardest difficulty.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Policenaut posted:

Bullet Witch was not only hard, it was also Cavia's first foray into achievement dickery. It's rather tough but doable to get 999 of 1000 achievement points, but that very last point demands you to beat this already bullshit hard game on its hardest difficulty.

Jesus Christ. gently caress. That. :stare:

[e]: Someone uploaded the first page of that manga:

Someone translated it to,

"Speak not the Angels.
Write not the Angels.
Draw not the Angels.
Sculpt not the Angels.
Sing not the Angels.
Call not the Angels' name."

Can. You. Hear. A. Sound. :unsmigghh:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 13, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

Don't forget, there's an achievement for 99 points just for playing for 15 hours. So just playing this game enough can give you an uneven gamerscore (yes, some people have OCD for that) and the only way to fix it is to get that one point achievement. (or get a 6/11 point achievement in another game, but you know how hard that is to find?)

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

I dunno, their last game before Nier was Bullet Witch. And that was basically Dirge of Cerberus, except worse.
The only interesting things about it were the setting and the premise (following Cavia's usual, "Humanity is hosed" theme). The gameplay was...urgh...:unsmigghh:

Bullet Witch was still chronologically closer to Drakengard than Nier though, and since it came out before Nier one would naturally assume they improved.

Did anyone ever LP Bullet Witch by the way? It sounds like a game that would be best experienced in that form.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BioMe posted:

Did anyone ever LP Bullet Witch by the way? It sounds like a game that would be best experienced in that form.

In one of his threads, people tried to ask The Dark Id to LP it, but I think he flat out refused because of how much of a tedious slog the thing is. There's a request in the LP request thread, but no-one seems to want to do it. There's a few youtube LPs out there, if you can tolerate it.

People posted more pages of that manga.

A woman is gang-raped six pages in, before the Elf and One show up, murder the rapists...and then the woman...
They then go to a town, torch it, but not before murdering everyone there.

:wtc:

This is the loving aristocrats joke in manga form, isn't it?

[e]: Yeah, I think so too. Off-puttingly so.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 13, 2013

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

People posted more pages of that manga.

A woman is gang-raped six pages in, before the Elf and One show up, murder the rapists...and then the woman...

That... that's a bit much, even for Drakengard, isn't it?

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Siliconera had a quartet of articles about Catacombs awhile ago, posted with the hopes that maybe the attention would convince Square-Enix to continue work on it. Here you go.

"Catacombs – The Game Cavia And Square Enix Were Working On After Nier"
"A Pac-Man Multiplayer Mode In A Shooter? Cavia Made That For Catacombs"
"Catacombs, Square Enix’s Squad Shooter, Had Mind Tricks Just Like Eternal Darkness"
"Spoiler Alert! Catacombs’ Themes, Twists, And Surprise Ending Revealed"

This game sounded absolutely batshit insane and it would have probably been another cult hit from Cavia, maybe even remotely popular coming off Nier.

Want to live in the alternate timeline where this was the Left 4 Dead-alike (where average joes armed with magical guns fought Mayan mythological references for the fate of the world) that was released, instead of Revelations 2012.

Actually, there is a chance our reality is just the crooked branching off of normal reality because a proper Drakengard sequel being made is a sign of something awesome and terrible to behold that will eat the strongest alive so the weakest can suffer more before death (death is certain)

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It says something if even The Dark Id refused to play the game.

...And Jesus. That sounds like someone really shallow wrote an ultra edgy GRIMDARK interpretation of Drakengard.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Pesky Splinter posted:

VVV

Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on that... What's even the loving point of that? How does that move the story forward or depict anything interesting about the characters other than the fact that they act like a 13 year old's perception of sociopathy?

Policenaut posted:

Access Games also made Lord of Arcana and Lord of Apocalypse which are both competent Monster Hunter clones/hack and slash games.

On that note, SWERY was involved with both games as well. Our best bet would be SWERY and Yoko Taro coming together to form some undiluted crazy form of Voltron.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 13, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

BioMe posted:

...And Jesus. That sounds like someone really shallow wrote an ultra edgy GRIMDARK interpretation of Drakengard.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not like it's the first videogame to have an ultra edgy rapey official manga spinoff.

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/corpseparty-musume-r577

I'm sure you've heard of Corpse Party, a pretty well-liked horror game available on PSP.

In the third loving chapter of this a boy dressed as a girl gets graphically tentacle raped to death and mutilated. I stopped reading it pretty much immediately although I'd been barely stomaching the rest of it before that point, someone told me even worse stuff ends up happening.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 13, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Literally everything about Corpse Party that isn't the original PC-98 or parts of Blood Covered is garbage. Team GrisGris/GRINDHOUSE and 5pb. totally don't get why people like it and just went way too far.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
What? NO! What is even happening?!?! :psyduck:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to your LP. :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

Something both wonderful, and dreadful.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Dark Id posted:

Sorry about your drat luck, Id.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Cavia's legacy of tears reaches out from beyond the grave to claim another victim.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I disagree with Nier's gameplay being "generic".

The combat was certainly generic - but the gameplay as a whole was a glorious hodge-podge of genres that was completely unique. I can't think of another game that branches out into platformer, twin-stick shooter, or text adventure mid game. Even the small bullet hell elements in the main game were unusual.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Welp, someone uploaded the whole manga.

The summary is:

One and Nero (the elf), wandering through a town, having killed some people, hear a woman scream, find out it's a woman being raped, kill them, and the woman. Decide to burn down the town and kill everyone there. They get surrounded by soldiers. One then starts to sing, represented by the glyphs that are used in Nier (and by the watchers :ssh:).

This give her anime powers, and causes her to slice through people in a kind of bloodlust. The song also calls a dragon, which attacks the soldiers, but focusing on One. They damage it, and it flies off. One and Nero then kill everybody else, including a little girl trying to help her grandmother to safety. As they walk away, the carved granny then stands up like a freaky zombie.

End.

Yeah, I don't even know. It's a very odd way to open a dormant franchise.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 13, 2013

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Well. Drakengard 3 will be a doozy, huh?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

The Dark Id posted:

can you hear the sound, Id?
can you?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If you're shocked by any of that then you need to re-read the Drakengard LP.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yoko Taro just thanked all the Nier and Drakengard fans on Twitter (in Japanese), as apparently their vocal enthusiasm and support are part of what helped make Drakengard 3 a reality. So for better or for worse, YOU (yes you) caused Drakengard 3.

Wendell posted:

If you're shocked by any of that then you need to re-read the Drakengard LP.

I wonder how many children we'll murder in this one.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Salsa McManus posted:

Well. Drakengard 3 will be a doozy, huh?

Yeah, sounds like the protagonists might be 'good' in the same way that the Imperium is in Warhammer 40k. That is, they won't hesitate for a second to kill absolutely everyone on one of their own planets if it'll stop a greater threat.

This is going to be a real family-friendly thrill ride, isn't it?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Policenaut posted:

So for better or for worse, YOU (yes you) caused Drakengard 3.

We're...we're the watchers. We've planted our own seed of destruction. Oh god, what have we done. :negative:

Policenaut posted:

I wonder how many children we'll murder in this one.

:black101: Child Murder Tally is at one thus far:

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
So basically we just committed multiple child murders by association? Good job team! :toot:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

First we get FE x SMT and now we get this. Gaming is going to a weird place.

Let's hope Nier wasn't a fluke, I like Drakengard, but it's the not the kind of like where I'd ever want to play it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

Let's hope Nier wasn't a fluke, I like Drakengard, but it's the not the kind of like where I'd ever want to play it.

It is for me. I'm some kind of hopeless troglodyte because I actually, unironically enjoy a spot of Drakengard from time to time (on Easy mode.) It's also very helpful as a sleeping aid, so there's that.

So I am actually going to buy a PS3. Not for the express purpose of playing this and only this game, but this is my primary motivation.

I have brain problems. :negative:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Miijhal posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on that... What's even the loving point of that? How does that move the story forward or depict anything interesting about the characters other than the fact that they act like a 13 year old's perception of sociopathy?

Weird that something like that would be associated with Drakengard.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Policenaut posted:

I really wish Dustforce and its singular SS achievement was on xbox just for the resulting tears of rage.
It would have been even funnier if they had made that achievement cover the new levels they patched in to the game later :getin:

I thought Nier was great. Gameplay was serviceable, but the experience as a whole was well worth it.
Also, I don't care an iota about meaningless achievements and have no problem only playing the parts of games I find fun / interesting.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Policenaut posted:

Literally everything about Corpse Party that isn't the original PC-98 or parts of Blood Covered is garbage. Team GrisGris/GRINDHOUSE and 5pb. totally don't get why people like it and just went way too far.

Off-topic, but I've only ever played Blood Covered Repeated Fear and liked that well enough, is the PC-98 version better/different enough to warrant a playthrough?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

There's a difference between dark stories and "lets start by throwing in a gangrape and then lots of explicit violence, because that's edgy and mature, right?" dark stories. The former isn't necessarily written by manchildren.

Drakengard was actually fairly subtle about the worst things that happen in the story. It's just that "Drakengard is dark as gently caress" became a bit of a meme and people read that the same as "explicit".

BioMe fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 13, 2013

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I'm just going to chalk this up to the manga artist being a fuckwit and hope that that lazy sort of grimdark doesn't seep into Drakengard 3.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

Off-topic, but I've only ever played Blood Covered Repeated Fear and liked that well enough, is the PC-98 version better/different enough to warrant a playthrough?

Better is arguable, but it's worth playing sure. The story is similar but less elaborate and differs in a few ways. The biggest thing is that it's quite short (two hours? less?) but has different endings depending on how you fare.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
New screenshot:

And Yoko Taro has apparently said that it isn't going to be Drakengard or NIER, not sure what their source is though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

The original version of Corpse Party is really different in a lot of ways from Blood Covered Repeated Fear, since I have no idea when I'll be able to overcome my audio issues with recording the games for an LP I might as well tell you about it.

PC-98 is a lot shorter than PSP, mainly because the game was designed to be a contest submission. The upside to this is that they designed it around being replayable, there are a bunch of open-ended events that branch off different endings and you can actually lose characters but still continue playing the game. Corpse Party PSP's entire Chapter 5 is an expanded remake of PC-98, which explains why its so non-linear and has a plethora of obtuse "walking dead" bad ending situations (creepy goth chick's notes, Naomi in the bathroom). The deadly floor goop is way more prevalent, some of the puzzles can instantly kill you if you fail them, and there are a bunch of events and puzzles that never made it into PSP that were really good. If you beat the PC-98 version you'll suddenly understand a ton of foreshadowing and trickery they play on old time fans with the PSP version. The final sequence is also a million times better than PSP's.

The PC-98 version isn't available in English but you can find it by poking around online a little. It's a bit of a cluster gently caress to actually play it because you have to install both the RPG Maker program and Corpse Party, but its a real annoyance because there's like 0 English documentation. I've uploaded what I have right here if you'd like to download it all. If there's no weird problems, all you should have to do is run DanteWin and open file "OPNTITLE.DAT" in one of the CORPSE sub directories. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Policenaut posted:

The original version of Corpse Party is really different in a lot of ways from Blood Covered Repeated Fear, since I have no idea when I'll be able to overcome my audio issues with recording the games for an LP I might as well tell you about it.

PC-98 is a lot shorter than PSP, mainly because the game was designed to be a contest submission. The upside to this is that they designed it around being replayable, there are a bunch of open-ended events that branch off different endings and you can actually lose characters but still continue playing the game. Corpse Party PSP's entire Chapter 5 is an expanded remake of PC-98, which explains why its so non-linear and has a plethora of obtuse "walking dead" bad ending situations (creepy goth chick's notes, Naomi in the bathroom). The deadly floor goop is way more prevalent, some of the puzzles can instantly kill you if you fail them, and there are a bunch of events and puzzles that never made it into PSP that were really good. If you beat the PC-98 version you'll suddenly understand a ton of foreshadowing and trickery they play on old time fans with the PSP version. The final sequence is also a million times better than PSP's.

The PC-98 version isn't available in English but you can find it by poking around online a little. It's a bit of a cluster gently caress to actually play it because you have to install both the RPG Maker program and Corpse Party, but its a real annoyance because there's like 0 English documentation. I've uploaded what I have right here if you'd like to download it all. If there's no weird problems, all you should have to do is run DanteWin and open file "OPNTITLE.DAT" in one of the CORPSE sub directories. Good luck!

Cool! I'll keep that file around and give it a shot sometime. Thanks!

• Locked thread