Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I know VW and Mazda recommend B5 or less, since there have been issues with their particulate filters clogging and fuel contaminating the oil. Other than that, any car made in the last decade at least should be able to handle B5 and in most cases B10 as well, with no issues at all.

I think VW has said their new motors are rated for up to B20 now, and Biodiesel used to be a way that you could re-seal your Injection Pump seal when it started leaking on the older VWs, so its not all bad.

But like he said, if you are just doing a lot of around town driving, a gas powered alternative may be better, even though I'd still go with a TDI, as your in city milage can still exceed what a Honda gets on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorpedoBeetle
Jan 23, 2004
Goon Justice
420-everyday

FUCK TELLTALE
GAMES

CommieGIR posted:

But like he said, if you are just doing a lot of around town driving, a gas powered alternative may be better, even though I'd still go with a TDI, as your in city milage can still exceed what a Honda gets on the highway.

I bought a 2012 Passat TDI last year, coming from a 2006 Honda Civic, and even in the depths of winter in Southeast Michigan on my 9-mile secondary road commute my Passat was still eeking out a few more MPG than my Civic ever got on the highway. The fuel economy drop-off once the weather turned cold was sharper than I expected, but it still beats the pants off of pretty much any gasoline-powered car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TorpedoBeetle posted:

I bought a 2012 Passat TDI last year, coming from a 2006 Honda Civic, and even in the depths of winter in Southeast Michigan on my 9-mile secondary road commute my Passat was still eeking out a few more MPG than my Civic ever got on the highway. The fuel economy drop-off once the weather turned cold was sharper than I expected, but it still beats the pants off of pretty much any gasoline-powered car.

Heh. I think its fair to say I will recommend a TDI to anyone no matter what their driving routine. Its the TDI thread after all.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As long as you semi-regularly get everything up to normal temperatures for a while and give it a workout there shouldn't be any issues with the engine, correct?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

As long as you semi-regularly get everything up to normal temperatures for a while and give it a workout there shouldn't be any issues with the engine, correct?

Pretty much. Every engine is equipped with coolant glow plugs to help the engine get up to nominal operating temps, compared to the older VW diesel (pre 1997) which you were pretty much depending on the engine to get you up to temperature which often didn't happen in Winter.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shifty Pony posted:

That's pretty good advice for any engine, diesels just take longer to warm up. Engines are more likely to be killed if you really baby them and keep the revs low than if you give them a good workout on a regular basis.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TorpedoBeetle posted:

The fuel economy drop-off once the weather turned cold was sharper than I expected

It's kind of amazing how much my mileage varies based on the outside temperature. I've never had a gas car with an MFD so I'm not sure if it's different or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fknlo posted:

It's kind of amazing how much my mileage varies based on the outside temperature. I've never had a gas car with an MFD so I'm not sure if it's different or not.

My last car, an '08 Yaris, got about 20% poorer efficiency in the winter. I could tell the summer was finally close when I started getting 330 miles on a tank again.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much. Every engine is equipped with coolant glow plugs to help the engine get up to nominal operating temps, compared to the older VW diesel (pre 1997) which you were pretty much depending on the engine to get you up to temperature which often didn't happen in Winter.

OK whew. I take a fairly short drive nearly every morning to get breakfast, eat, then come back. But on the weekend I certainly hoon around at times because seriously how can you resist with the TDI? Fuels should be coming off winter blends too, which will give a nice bump in mileage.

It turns out my father has magnificent timing. He bought the F-350 and not a few days later the transmission in his old F-250 is starting to not want to engage in 1st when cold. I suppose after 130k miles of hard work towing equipment and agricultural supplies it may be due for another rebuild. I wonder if he is going to get it done before selling it or if he's just going to let people know it slips when cold from time to time and let them worry about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

OK whew. I take a fairly short drive nearly every morning to get breakfast, eat, then come back. But on the weekend I certainly hoon around at times because seriously how can you resist with the TDI? Fuels should be coming off winter blends too, which will give a nice bump in mileage.

It turns out my father has magnificent timing. He bought the F-350 and not a few days later the transmission in his old F-250 is starting to not want to engage in 1st when cold. I suppose after 130k miles of hard work towing equipment and agricultural supplies it may be due for another rebuild. I wonder if he is going to get it done before selling it or if he's just going to let people know it slips when cold from time to time and let them worry about it.

The VVT turbo makes the TDI what it is, as soon as they switched to the variable vane turbo TDIs went from being somewhat slow on acceleration to phenomenally fast.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 13, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Shifty Pony posted:

On the TDI you can tell when it is regenning: the idle will be raised a bit, a bit rougher, and if you are at a stop you can normally smell it a little bit. While the engine controls are able to deal with a shutdown in the middle of a regen and will just regen again (if needed) next time it gets up to temperature, shutting down during a regen cycle means you are shutting down the engine with a 1300-1400F EGT. That isn't good for the turbo bearing or the oil in the turbo if you do it regularly.

If I notice a regen while I'm out (I have a scangauge which reads EGT) I will normally just rearrange my errands so that it can complete before I need to park. It only takes a few minutes.

This is probably a stupid question, but for someone that's not very car literate is this something that can be monitored using one of those bluetooth OBDII adapters (More specifically the PLX Kiwi & Torq [android app])? I'm definitely loving the hell out of this car and don't want to gently caress anything up by shutting it down when it's regenning.

Also, this weekend I went with my Brother and his wife when they went car shopping. They're both VW fans and he's going to be commuting (basically the opposite of what I was doing. He's going from the Bay Area to Modesto) so they were looking at TDI's. In the end, they bought a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. I got to drive it a bit and quite like it. Despite the fact that it's a 'Wagon', I actually like the way it looks. It's not like the old, ugly monstrosities that were around back in the day that conjure up visions of the Family Truckster (National Lampoon's Vacation).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TWBalls posted:

Also, this weekend I went with my Brother and his wife when they went car shopping. They're both VW fans and he's going to be commuting (basically the opposite of what I was doing. He's going from the Bay Area to Modesto) so they were looking at TDI's. In the end, they bought a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. I got to drive it a bit and quite like it. Despite the fact that it's a 'Wagon', I actually like the way it looks. It's not like the old, ugly monstrosities that were around back in the day that conjure up visions of the Family Truckster (National Lampoon's Vacation).

The European wagons tend to be like that, the Mercedes W123 bodied Wagon was awesome, and most Euro wagons are just slightly extended versions of their normal road cars, so it doesn't feel more like the old American station wagons, which for the most part were just horrible.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TWBalls posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but for someone that's not very car literate is this something that can be monitored using one of those bluetooth OBDII adapters (More specifically the PLX Kiwi & Torq [android app])? I'm definitely loving the hell out of this car and don't want to gently caress anything up by shutting it down when it's regenning.

Like a champ:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=376967&highlight=torque

I considered that as a setup because it is much more slick than the scangauge but I already had the scangauge.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I keep forgetting your guys DPF are like the size of a pringles can, not a hot water heater.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

I keep forgetting your guys DPF are like the size of a pringles can, not a hot water heater.

Hooray for having the last Duramax generation to come without a DPF.

Un-hooray for living in an emissions county. Get it together, Texas.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 13, 2013

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
How often do you guys have to get your DPFs cleaned out? Is it considered standard maintenance?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

CommieGIR posted:

The VVT turbo makes the TDI what it is, as soon as they switched to the variable vane turbo TDIs went from being somewhat slow on acceleration to phenomenally fast.

The 3rd generation Jetta TDI (wastegate) was rated at 90 HP and 145 ft-lbs. The 4th generation (variable geometry) was 90 HP and 150 (149?) ft-lbs. It's definitely an improvement, especially for fuel economy because you start getting boost at lower RPMs, but it wasn't a sudden drastic power jump.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Opensourcepirate posted:

The 3rd generation Jetta TDI (wastegate) was rated at 90 HP and 145 ft-lbs. The 4th generation (variable geometry) was 90 HP and 150 (149?) ft-lbs. It's definitely an improvement, especially for fuel economy because you start getting boost at lower RPMs, but it wasn't a sudden drastic power jump.

Yeah there might no be much of a power (in the engineering sense) increase, but I'm sure the torque curve is much better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

That isn't the point, it allows a smaller HP engine to have the apparent performance of a larger one.

Not to mention it opened the way for the performance you can feel from current TDIs.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Big Jesus posted:

How often do you guys have to get your DPFs cleaned out? Is it considered standard maintenance?

As far as I know under normal conditions they don't need to be replaced unless something unexpected and bad happens. VW claims the service interval is to check the amount of ash present in it and 120k miles then check every 20k. During normal driving when the restriction and backpressure gets high the engine automatically adds extra fuel to the exhaust stream by injecting during the exhaust stroke which gets the DPF hot and burns off any soot, but this leaves a very minute amount of ash behind which eventually kills the filter. I do wonder if someone will figure out how to just vacuum the thing out.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Shifty Pony posted:

As far as I know under normal conditions they don't need to be replaced unless something unexpected and bad happens. VW claims the service interval is to check the amount of ash present in it and 120k miles then check every 20k. During normal driving when the restriction and backpressure gets high the engine automatically adds extra fuel to the exhaust stream by injecting during the exhaust stroke which gets the DPF hot and burns off any soot, but this leaves a very minute amount of ash behind which eventually kills the filter. I do wonder if someone will figure out how to just vacuum the thing out.

Right, I know how they work. Really it just burns the particulates down into smaller particulates, but like any filter it has to be cleaned out every now and then. I'm an engineer for a diesel engine company but almost all of our stuff is off-road so I was just wondering what general mileage one gets out of it before servicing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Big Jesus posted:

Right, I know how they work. Really it just burns the particulates down into smaller particulates, but like any filter it has to be cleaned out every now and then. I'm an engineer for a diesel engine company but almost all of our stuff is off-road so I was just wondering what general mileage one gets out of it before servicing.

Sorry, just got done explaining it to my father so I was in :eng101: mode.

~120k check, but people on TDI forums are tracking their ash accumulations using VAGCOM and are actually estimating nearly 250k miles before it hits the 175mL upper spec. The VW part is a sealed unit so as far as people know it cannot be serviced and instead has to be replaced, besides for some franky scary pressure-cleaning systems made by a third party.

Edit: for off-road diesels does the DPF system help reduce the need for a spark arrestor?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 14, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Shifty Pony posted:

Like a champ:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=376967&highlight=torque

I considered that as a setup because it is much more slick than the scangauge but I already had the scangauge.

Awesome, thanks. I keep forgetting to check out that forum. Definitely bookmarking now.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Shifty Pony posted:

Edit: for off-road diesels does the DPF system help reduce the need for a spark arrestor?

Yeah, but that isn't really a huge issue with our company. The people over in Germany did such a good job designing the engines that for our small (3-4 liter) engines we don't need a dpf to meet emissions requirements for tier 4, just a catalyst. This gives us a big advantage over our competitors for packaging and service reasons, so we're really focusing on these units right now. Unfortunately I haven't had much interaction with our dpfs yet, but I'm going to be working in Germany this summer and will get to play with a bunch of our developmental goodies.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Drove a 2011 TDI Jetta today, really nice car I can't afford because I don't have good credit.

Edit: 2011 with a 2-year 24,000 warranty. It had something like 50,000 miles. Black with manual transmission. $1,000 down, $350/mo. :smith:

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 30, 2013

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Why are diesel people such nerds

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sudo Echo posted:

Why are VW diesel people such nerds

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A bit of thread necromancy here, but is there anything I should know about a '01 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3? My father is offering me one hell of a deal on his old truck because a) family and b) it is 100% depreciated and he has a thing about paying taxes on stuff even if it means taking in less money in the first place.

More truck than I would ever need but hey at least I would get instant Texas cred.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

A bit of thread necromancy here, but is there anything I should know about a '01 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3?

Yes, you should know that people will kill you and crawl over your dead body to buy it.

Seriously....that's the second to last year you could get the 7.3l. The motor that followed (the 6 liter PowerStroke) was so plagued with problems the trucks aren't even worth buying at any price more than a few hundred bucks, as you need about $3-5k in parts to make them kinda sorta OK.

Do it.

Things you should know are the obvious....make sure it starts and run properly (duh, but I'm talking hard cold starts), make sure it doesn't smoke too much on acceleration, make sure the power steering works. These use a hydraulically boosted power steering and brake assist and it's shared. When it starts going bad you get no brake assist when you are turning. Or you can't turn when you hit the brakes. I've seen it go both ways. It's.....disturbing. But cheap enough to fix.

In fact, just about everything I mentioned is cheap enough to fix. They are properly good solid older trucks that will last almost as well as the 70s trucks, especially if you're not driving around in salt and keep up with basic maintenance.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I super TDI obsessed right now. Too bad I can only find Jettas, I'd kill for a Golf.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

I super TDI obsessed right now. Too bad I can only find Jettas, I'd kill for a Golf.

Yeah, the Golf TDIs when you do find them don't stay on dealers lots long.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

Things you should know are the obvious....make sure it starts and run properly (duh, but I'm talking hard cold starts), make sure it doesn't smoke too much on acceleration, make sure the power steering works. These use a hydraulically boosted power steering and brake assist and it's shared. When it starts going bad you get no brake assist when you are turning. Or you can't turn when you hit the brakes. I've seen it go both ways. It's.....disturbing. But cheap enough to fix.

In fact, just about everything I mentioned is cheap enough to fix. They are properly good solid older trucks that will last almost as well as the 70s trucks, especially if you're not driving around in salt and keep up with basic maintenance.

One owner (my father), 100% maintenance kept up on, only driven in SC, front wheel bearings recently replaced. It runs like a champ and he really only decided to buy the new truck because he had extra money in his business and needed a good new capital sink. The only worrying bit is that the transmission may be due for a rebuild and has a hesitation to engage first when it is cold cold. There is 260k miles on the truck and I think about 130k on the transmission including hauling heavy farm equipment.

A friend suggested I get it, sell my '10 Jetta TDI, get a Smart, and rig up a hydraulic ramp arrangement and dub it The Mothership. ultimateforce would it work if I just rebadged the Jetta a golf and you call it the special edition? :v:

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 7, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

When I was shopping, I never saw a single used Golf TDI. Not once. With used car prices what they are I probably wasn't going to buy used, but I didn't see a single one. It's kind of awesome knowing that if I ever decide to sell mine it'll go almost instantly at some ludicrous price :cool:

I definitely don't have any regrets so far.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

The only worrying bit is that the transmission may be due for a rebuild and has a hesitation to engage first when it is cold cold. There is 260k miles on the truck and I think about 130k on the transmission including hauling heavy farm equipment.

If you aren't hauling heavy poo poo with it the next transmission it gets can be it's last. If you were still hauling heavy stuff I'd suggest a better replacement, as there are a few aftermarket builders who make VERY nice built up trans for these things. A local fire department killes two stock trannies inside of 4 years/10k miles on a field truck (overloaded, being driven through the mud all the time, generally "abused" but for all the right reasons: that's it's job) and put in an upgraded 4R100 and hasn't had another problem to this day.

With the rest of the history on that truck it sounds like you can't go wrong. Just consider the purchase price to be what you pay for the truck plus a trans. Maybe you'll need it, maybe you won't. Could be as simple as a valve body.

Shifty Pony posted:

A friend suggested I get it, sell my '10 Jetta TDI, get a Smart, and rig up a hydraulic ramp arrangement and dub it The Mothership. ultimateforce would it work if I just rebadged the Jetta a golf and you call it the special edition? :v:

Obviously you need a Smart with a diesel conversion. Then your plan is perfect.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

fknlo posted:

When I was shopping, I never saw a single used Golf TDI. Not once. With used car prices what they are I probably wasn't going to buy used, but I didn't see a single one. It's kind of awesome knowing that if I ever decide to sell mine it'll go almost instantly at some ludicrous price :cool:

drat it, that is exactly what I want to buy, but I know I can't afford new with my credit the way it is.

The Jettas are just too big for me.

Edit: http://www.aristocratvw.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2011-Volkswagen-Golf-2dr_HB_Man_TDI-Sanford-FL/1959573363

Well drat, there you go.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

And the one for sale is a 2 door which is the best.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

fknlo posted:

This was my situation when I was shopping about 6 months ago. I wanted a Golf TDI, but couldn't find a single one used and couldn't afford a new one. Then, by some miracle, a used 2011 TDI in the exact spec I wanted appeared at the dealer I liked. Went there, test drove it and signed the paperwork right away. Never been happier with a purchase in my life.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

If you aren't hauling heavy poo poo with it the next transmission it gets can be it's last. If you were still hauling heavy stuff I'd suggest a better replacement, as there are a few aftermarket builders who make VERY nice built up trans for these things. A local fire department killes two stock trannies inside of 4 years/10k miles on a field truck (overloaded, being driven through the mud all the time, generally "abused" but for all the right reasons: that's it's job) and put in an upgraded 4R100 and hasn't had another problem to this day.

With the rest of the history on that truck it sounds like you can't go wrong. Just consider the purchase price to be what you pay for the truck plus a trans. Maybe you'll need it, maybe you won't. Could be as simple as a valve body.

Obviously you need a Smart with a diesel conversion. Then your plan is perfect.

It has an upgraded transmission in it, that's how it lasts 100k+ when towing 10k+ lbs of tractor, bulldozer, and/or agricultural chemical into and around the woods on dirt, mud, and sand. Like you said, "abused" but for all the right reasons. There are tons of top-notch diesel and truck shops around the area so I'm not too worried about finding someone to give it a rebuild. He's going to take it by the local diesel shop and have them take a look at it.

I think I'm going to take him up on the offer, it even includes a camper shell! Now just to get it out here, it seems like a need to plan a visit to the folks.

My friends bought a '09 Golf TDI used (2-door) and were worried they overpaid until when they were walking out someone else walked in and said they wanted to buy it sight-unseen and had to be turned away. It had been on the dealer website for a matter of hours.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

drat it, that is exactly what I want to buy, but I know I can't afford new with my credit the way it is.

I don't know how I did it, but I was somehow able to keep my credit in decent shape when I was poor.

My final 2 choices were between the FR-S and the Golf. I don't think the FR-S would have handled the kayak or the trip to Breckenridge with 4 dudes as well as the Golf has. I'll pick up the fun car in a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I got screwed over by a shady student loan consolidation company. Turns out I was paying them, but they weren't paying the loan off. Good luck proving that in court after they shut down operations and disappear!

• Locked thread