Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Joe Don Baker posted:

I still can't believe that they haven't shown off the final version of the hardware. It ships in two weeks so they should have already been manufactured and sitting in a warehouse ready to go.

Well you see, showing off the final version to prospective customers is the old way of doing business that's been perpetuated by the BIG-THREE. However with the CHIANGKAISHEK bucks these trends, allowing for true innovation to allow console makers to do rather shady business that would set off many red flags for intelligent consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Shine posted:

Anybody who posts that interview from the other day will get a kiss with tongue.

Is this it? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTO5qF2aJE

9mil $ marketing hard at work.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 13, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Unfortunately, that's the rap recap that SXSW paid for, not the actual whole keynote.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I saw an SXSW video of her talking about television. I guess it's supposed to be a strategy of some kind but it just came off as weird like "I love tv and have an unhealthy obsession with it, games are cool too so I made a console."

I'm imagining an inversion of the PSP Squirrels commercial.

"Hey man, get inside!"
"I can't! I'm playin' nut!"
"But you can play nut on your TV!"
"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!"

OUYA: It's like a nut you can play on your TV.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
loving bronies always have to find a way to shoehorn their stupid fetish into their stuff even when it has nothing to do with MLP. GOTTA SPREAD THE AWKWARDNESS FRIENDSHIP.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
A little more info on the bank account issue:

quote:

I couldn't find a related topic, but I was wondering how the developer bank account support was for developers outside of the U.S.. I noticed that the only information asked were "Bank Name", "Account Number" and "Routing Number". Banks in Europe don't follow the same model and use IBAN and SWIFT for bank and account identification. (I am not 100% sure, but I believe that U.S. banks also have SWIFT numbers.) As there don't seem to be any fields for that, does that mean that Ouya developers outside of the U.S. cannot sell in-app products? If no, what information needs to be entered then?

It's pretty hard to fathom how not ready for an international launch they are. They literally had no idea that multiple forms of banking exist, which is actually super important!

edit: In-App purchasing simply did not work until YESTERDAY, if I'm understanding this thread correctly - http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/831/iap-problems

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 13, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I was just thinking, it's probably really god drat easy to buy an xbox 360 for $100 these days and the backlog of games is gigantic, plus it's super easy to buy games for only a few bucks. I really, really hope everyone that has pre-ordered an ouya owns at least one dedicated gaming console or PC because jesus christ for the life of me I can't figure who this thing is for.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

cat doter posted:

I was just thinking, it's probably really god drat easy to buy an xbox 360 for $100 these days and the backlog of games is gigantic, plus it's super easy to buy games for only a few bucks. I really, really hope everyone that has pre-ordered an ouya owns at least one dedicated gaming console or PC because jesus christ for the life of me I can't figure who this thing is for.

I bought my PS3 for 150 dollars, NEW, thanks to a gamestop coupon about two years ago. My brother got a 360 for free with his computer. It's super easy to get consoles for cheap these days, so even the "cheap" aspect of the YEYO isn't that impressive, considering how much more you can get for just a bit of extra money. And I dunno about you, but I'd rather play an old AAA game I got for ten bucks used than something that looks like it was made for a computer programming class.

I think it's an attempt to cash in on the big money that's been coming up in casual/phone games, but it ignores the fact that the market for those expanded when smartphones became common. People already had the phone and bought some games for it, where the YABBADABBODOO expects you to be the kind of person who would buy a phone specifically to play games on.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Unfortunately, that's the rap recap that SXSW paid for, not the actual whole keynote.

Do you really need to know any more after watching that? Also, I'm sorry.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Do you really need to know any more after watching that? Also, I'm sorry.

Weirdly enough, yes. Bafflingly, most media mentions of that conference have been positive, despite it being obviously one of the least competent things I've ever seen.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

theflyingorc posted:

Weirdly enough, yes. Bafflingly, most media mentions of that conference have been positive, despite it being obviously one of the least competent things I've ever seen.

Look, man. The guy in the rap clearly said it's booyah like NBA JAM. What I infer from this is that the Ouija is going to be a revolutionary device. It's going to offer universal development for any phone or console or computer OS and guess what it's fully done with your mind. It'll offer holographic screens, provide cellphone features and television too. Boasting a T1 connection of it's own running on a newly developed free energy core. Who needs outdated crap like consoles when you can have the future, a device that will evolve us into a race of cube men walking around and carrying a cube Oojeah in one hand in unison. The future is here.

Or maybe it's just going to be a huge piece of poo poo in the vein of The Phantom if it was released. As it stands there is no chance of it standing up to the "Big Three" when the people operating this thing are twice as mindless and corrupt as the people they are supposedly standing up to.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 13, 2013

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I hear this is the thread to come to if I want to bring gaming back to my TV. I've been hoping one day I could once again play great games on my television.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Look, man. The guy in the rap clearly said it's booyah like NBA JAM. What I infer from this is that the Ouija is going to be a revolutionary device. It's going to offer universal development for any phone or console or computer OS and guess what it's fully done with your mind. It'll offer holographic screens, provide cellphone features and television too. Boasting a T1 connection of it's own running on a newly developed free energy core. Who needs outdated crap like consoles when you can have the future, a device that will evolve us into a race of cube men walking around and carrying a cube Oojeah in one hand in unison. The future is here.

OODYA?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I was just reading some dumb Reddit thread where people are saying they will pay $5 for a game on the Ouya, but only if it has at least 50 hours of gameplay, anything less and they're likely to not even buy it at all, even at 0.99c

The expectations that have been built up for this thing are just all around loving ridiculous. There's no way it's going to live up to even 10% of them.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Shadowlz posted:

I hear this is the thread to come to if I want to bring gaming back to my TV. I've been hoping one day I could once again play great games on my television.

If you're willing to forget "great", go easy on "play" and liberally interpret "games" then have we got the deal for you!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rudager posted:

The expectations that have been built up for this thing are just all around loving ridiculous. There's no way it's going to live up to even 10% of them.
Most people will get the thing, buy a handful of games for it, quit playing it and quietly disconnect it from their television, having learned nothing about purchasing skeptically.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought my PS3 for 150 dollars, NEW, thanks to a gamestop coupon about two years ago. My brother got a 360 for free with his computer. It's super easy to get consoles for cheap these days, so even the "cheap" aspect of the YEYO isn't that impressive, considering how much more you can get for just a bit of extra money. And I dunno about you, but I'd rather play an old AAA game I got for ten bucks used than something that looks like it was made for a computer programming class.

I think it's an attempt to cash in on the big money that's been coming up in casual/phone games, but it ignores the fact that the market for those expanded when smartphones became common. People already had the phone and bought some games for it, where the YABBADABBODOO expects you to be the kind of person who would buy a phone specifically to play games on.

Well yeah, the thing people need to remember is that the KLANG{SDFN{AN{F isn't that cheap in the grand scheme of things. The capability of the system, plus the types of games it's getting, AND the size of the catalogue, it quickly becomes apparent just how much of a waste of money it is. The argument that it can be an emulator machine or a media device is stupid since my PS3 does all of that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

cat doter posted:

Well yeah, the thing people need to remember is that the KLANG{SDFN{AN{F isn't that cheap in the grand scheme of things. The capability of the system, plus the types of games it's getting, AND the size of the catalogue, it quickly becomes apparent just how much of a waste of money it is. The argument that it can be an emulator machine or a media device is stupid since my PS3 does all of that.

Yeah, when you consider how much the PS3 does (I use it more for multimedia than games sometimes), and how many games you can get just by having PS+ (reupping for 50 bucks every year is still cheaper than buying the yearly LOUIE update), even when the PS4 is well established it'd still be a better choice than the BAWITDABA.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, when you consider how much the PS3 does (I use it more for multimedia than games sometimes), and how many games you can get just by having PS+ (reupping for 50 bucks every year is still cheaper than buying the yearly LOUIE update), even when the PS4 is well established it'd still be a better choice than the BAWITDABA.

Exactly what I do. I have a heap of games I have installed but haven't had a chance to play on PS+. Once it's winter here I have some catching up to do.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

If you're lucky enough to have a custom firmware system like me you can enjoy PS+, a whole bunch of emulators and the extended media functionality of showtime(homebrew media player). It's pretty great.

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
Is every ouya game going to have their own kickstarter holy gently caress

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Shoobis posted:

Its not like they'll be making money from IAPs...

Dec 26, 2012

Shoobis posted:

Do the people who are making games for the Ouya strike you as the kind that have their own source of funding?

Also, they don't really lose anything for trying.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

cat doter posted:

Even in Australia you can get a 360 for about $150 new and if you're cheap like me there's always the used game market. Places were also selling Wii Mario Kart bundles for $80 a few days ago. $80 (I'm guessing even cheaper in the US) will get you a machine that plays Mario Kart which is infinitely more fun than anything I've seen for the ROOMBA so far. Keep in mind that in Australia new console games are usually a minimum of $79 and the Wii launched at like $450 here. We're price gouged on everyfuckingthing but now you can get these consoles cheap and play great games that were made by professionals.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

luncheon meat posted:

Even in Australia you can get a 360 for about $150 new and if you're cheap like me there's always the used game market. Places were also selling Wii Mario Kart bundles for $80 a few days ago. $80 (I'm guessing even cheaper in the US) will get you a machine that plays Mario Kart which is infinitely more fun than anything I've seen for the ROOMBA so far. Keep in mind that in Australia new console games are usually a minimum of $79 and the Wii launched at like $450 here. We're price gouged on everyfuckingthing but now you can get these consoles cheap and play great games that were made by professionals.

Also if you are an emulation fan, the Wii is one of the best systems for it. The 360 and PS3 can be bears to get homebrew running on, but the Wii is so simple to break that a child can do it.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Red_Mage posted:

Also if you are an emulation fan, the Wii is one of the best systems for it. The 360 and PS3 can be bears to get homebrew running on, but the Wii is so simple to break that a child can do it.

So true. It might not output HD but that's not important when you're emulating old games. Plus you get a great dpad with the classic controller. poo poo, one of the pawn shops around here sells Wiis (consoles only) for $5. They have so many of them they can't even get rid of them all at that price. Power bricks are another $10 IIRC and you can get sensor bars for dirt cheap off eBay. The most expensive part of the console is the Wiimote but if you're just going for emulation you could get a cheap 3rd party one and spend your dough on an authentic classic controller.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

luncheon meat posted:

So true. It might not output HD but that's not important when you're emulating old games. Plus you get a great dpad with the classic controller. poo poo, one of the pawn shops around here sells Wiis (consoles only) for $5. They have so many of them they can't even get rid of them all at that price. Power bricks are another $10 IIRC and you can get sensor bars for dirt cheap off eBay. The most expensive part of the console is the Wiimote but if you're just going for emulation you could get a cheap 3rd party one and spend your dough on an authentic classic controller.

And consider the GOATSE is selling to a tech crowd, and they'd have to be deluded to buy one. Sure, the wii is two gamecubes taped together but my lovely free phone still outperforms the DSMVAUTISMSYMPTOMS, and the wii does anything it can do, better.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I jumped on the emulation bandwagon quite early on with the PS3, you need at the most 3.56 version of firmware to get custom firmware, but if you can find an old enough model it's just a case of downloading the custom firmware and installing it off a USB.

The range of functionality and options for a homebrew enabled PS3 is pretty great. I dunno about the 360, never really tried to hack it. Ever since the recent custom firmware breakthrough my PS3 is on loving constantly.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

cat doter posted:

I jumped on the emulation bandwagon quite early on with the PS3, you need at the most 3.56 version of firmware to get custom firmware, but if you can find an old enough model it's just a case of downloading the custom firmware and installing it off a USB.

The range of functionality and options for a homebrew enabled PS3 is pretty great. I dunno about the 360, never really tried to hack it. Ever since the recent custom firmware breakthrough my PS3 is on loving constantly.

Even if your PS3 is on the latest firmware you can downgrade it but it involves a lot of soldering and loving about. Great if you can do that kind of thing or are willing to pay someone but yeah, a homebrew capable PS3 is pretty rad. The 360 has some emulators and other homebrew but not as good as the PS3 stuff. It just blows my mind that the 8 year old hardware in those machines can easily beat the POPELARD out of the water performance wise and yet they still plod on with this thing.

Joden
Feb 27, 2009

Not exactly a morning person.
It's not a video of the event, but there's been an audio upload of the Uhrman and Topolsky interview over here:

SXSW's Soundcloud Page.

Pretty sure it hasn't been posted yet. God this woman really has an odd television fixation.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Joden posted:

It's not a video of the event, but there's been an audio upload of the Uhrman and Topolsky interview over here:

SXSW's Soundcloud Page.

Pretty sure it hasn't been posted yet. God this woman really has an odd television fixation.

Thanks a lot, I'm going to have to give it a listen and quote mine sometime soon.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Joden posted:

SXSW's Soundcloud Page.

Pucker up, dollface.

Dec 26, 2012

This interview is hilarious, she's getting burned left and right and I don't think she realizes it.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
"I go home and I have this beautiful sixty foot television in front of me"

:drat:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

open container posted:

"I go home and I have this beautiful sixty foot television in front of me"

:drat:

For 300,000 bucks you could easily build your own home movie theater in your basement. And that would still leave 7,700,000 for the Ouya. We're really funding this woman's insane home decorating ideas.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

WendigoJohnson posted:

For 300,000 bucks you could easily build your own home movie theater in your basement. And that would still leave 7,700,000 for the Ouya. We're really funding this woman's insane home decorating ideas.

I've always wanted to hook a gaming PC with like a Titan up to a 4k projector and play like, Max Payne or an uncompressed version of RAGE on a theater screen. Could the OUYA even drive a 4k display? 2k?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I went to see. It looks like someone finally started evaluating the TEGRA 3's power.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-how-powerful-is-tegra-3

Even with shameless OUYA apologism (HURF DURF IT WILL OBVIOUSLY OUTPERFORM THIS IDENTICAL CHIPSET) they still admit the TEGRA 3 optimized Sonic 4 actually runs worse.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Listening to the interview... she doesn't know clockwise from counterclockwise. Good one Julie.

edit: Oh man she really loses it about 20 minutes in. "There is nothing special about this!" ... then she seems to start hyperventilating.

"You're gonna create the Blair Witch Project of games?"

"Maybe!"

"So it'll end in tears, is what you're saying?"

caldrax fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 14, 2013

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

...dear sweet gently caress.

Listening to this... thing...

:psyboom:

You know who this reminds me of?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caldrax posted:

Listening to the interview... she doesn't know clockwise from counterclockwise. Good one Julie.

edit: Oh man she really loses it about 20 minutes in. "There is nothing special about this!" ... then she seems to start hyperventilating.

"You're gonna create the Blair Witch Project of games?"

"Maybe!"

"So it'll end in tears, is what you're saying?"

Wait till you get to the part where she boasts:

So many of our developers have never developed a game!

• Locked thread