Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bummey posted:

It's not universal? Some Video Game Mobile CEO Veteran he is. That's Mobile CEOing 101!

Correct. Word Carnivale is universal. And yes, Crickler should be. OR it should have a separate iPad version with a different UI, as we did with Poker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is the best $5 I've ever spent on the App Store. I don't think I'll need another shmup for a long time. How did this slip under the radar?

Heartzbane
Apr 8, 2009
Has anyone played Slitherine's Legion? The concept seems pretty cool and I'm a sucker for this type of game but the graphics are nothing to write home about. Only $5 but I wanted to what the consensus here is before taking the plunge.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Going to reinstall Blockheads since the latest update but I haven't really played it since it launched.

Is it better on iPhone or iPad and does it have iCloud syncing? Wondering what to play it on/if it matters.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is it better on iPhone or iPad and does it have iCloud syncing? Wondering what to play it on/if it matters.
No idea about syncing, but it's way, way better on iPad.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Shalinor posted:

No idea about syncing, but it's way, way better on iPad.

Thanks, I'll give it another go then.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Heartzbane posted:

Has anyone played Slitherine's Legion? The concept seems pretty cool and I'm a sucker for this type of game but the graphics are nothing to write home about. Only $5 but I wanted to what the consensus here is before taking the plunge.

I have been enjoying it. Yea, the graphics are not extraordinary but they work well for a "classic turn based strategy" game. It also runs very well on the iPad. Very smooth on my iPad 3 with no delay for loading or turns. It's a nice change of pace from other turn based empire games (Civilization is particularly terrible and poorly optimized).

The game plays like a cross between an empire builder and Gratuitous Space Battles. The empire map has you doing all the typical 4X things: upgrading cities down a particular path, training armies, forging alliances, conquering territories, etc.

The combat isn't a real time strategy game. Instead you arrange your formations and give them orders on what to do (advance at normal pace, wait then advance, advance then hold, etc.). The enemy does the same and then you watch everything play out in real time. The results of what happens depends on troop match-ups, outflanking, terrain advantages (certain troops do worse in some types of terrain), and breaking moral (based on casualties, troops quality, and level of disorganization due to fighting and terrain). It's pretty interesting, especially when you have imperfect information on what troops and positions the enemy has.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

The New York Times posted:

Do any of you know if FIFA for iPad turns off audio from other apps?

That's always a deal breaker for me, can't cope with games messing up my podcast flow.

I listen to Queen's "Can't Stop Me Now" on repeat while rampaging around as Lio Messi, really help sets the mood

Heartzbane
Apr 8, 2009

Uberskooper posted:

I have been enjoying it. Yea, the graphics are not extraordinary but they work well for a "classic turn based strategy" game. It also runs very well on the iPad. Very smooth on my iPad 3 with no delay for loading or turns. It's a nice change of pace from other turn based empire games (Civilization is particularly terrible and poorly optimized).

The game plays like a cross between an empire builder and Gratuitous Space Battles. The empire map has you doing all the typical 4X things: upgrading cities down a particular path, training armies, forging alliances, conquering territories, etc.

The combat isn't a real time strategy game. Instead you arrange your formations and give them orders on what to do (advance at normal pace, wait then advance, advance then hold, etc.). The enemy does the same and then you watch everything play out in real time. The results of what happens depends on troop match-ups, outflanking, terrain advantages (certain troops do worse in some types of terrain), and breaking moral (based on casualties, troops quality, and level of disorganization due to fighting and terrain). It's pretty interesting, especially when you have imperfect information on what troops and positions the enemy has.

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty good. How much tedious micro-management is there at the empire/city level? One thing I always found frustrating for most 4x games is that once you have more than half a dozen cities/regions/armies, the micro-management gets really tedius.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
The Quest chat: I love that Orcs will patiently wait 8 hours for me to sleep at the inn to regain my health/mana, so that I can continue casting burning hands on them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any decent iOS roguelikes? I'm not talking about ports, they just don't play very well. I've tried 100Rogues but I'm kind of turned off of it now given all the bugs, which is unfortunate, as it's really close to what I'm craving.

Kaizoku posted:

It's a port, but no one in this thread has recommended my go to http://appshopper.com/games/rogue
. It is a port, but once you get used to the gesture controls I feel it to be fantastic. I've been playing it since my 2G and still come back to it all the time. I think the only two apps I've used more are Awful and Safari. Note for Rogue: Only play in landscape. The portrait mode has sprites, and that is simply not what I am looking for.

On a semi-related note, I also have no regrets on paying for Snipes the day it came out. Not a roguelike, but a classic game. http://appshopper.com/games/snipes

I also have 100 Rogues--crashed too much for too long, I never put more than an hour in, Sword of Fargoal--which is good, but missing the appropriate feeling of danger for me, and Bit Dungeon--closer to Zelda, and absolutely no chance of danger. I know I've tried others, but these are the ones that were of note to me.

It's always odd to me how few roguelikes people remember and how 100 Rogues always comes up (which, even bugs aside, isn't the best of the bunch). Maybe it's true that any publicity is good publicity, since the clusterfuck of 100 Rogues' release seems to have stuck it in people's minds.

Here's what I have in my "Rogues" folder, all of which I think are pretty decent in one way or another:

PORTS - I know Harvey requested "not ports" but most of these that were ported have had their interfaces updated in one form or another to be more usable (exception being Powder, see below):
Rogue Touch - Possibly a bit more developed than the port Kaizoku mentioned above, this is a slightly altered version of Rogue. Has some additional extras like secret characters based on your characters' name, and a nice interface, including tiles.

iNetHack - It's Nethack! On your phone! For free!

Slash 'Em - Port of another well-known roguelike. Also free.

Powder - Powder originally was designed for GameBoy Advance and was ported to like every other platform in existence. Intially free on iPhone but I think requires an IAP purchase to go deeper than level 10. Highly recommend trying the PC version here as the interface is kind of a mess and is probably easier to initially figure out on PC. Does have some neat mechanics, I really like how the gods work.

NOT PORTS:
Cavern - Not a port of anything else, a roguelike made from scratch for iOS. Possibly goon made? Or was that The Dungeon (see below)?

The Dungeon - Seven classes, forty levels, nice tiles.

Cardinal Quest - Very streamlined roguelike (it does things like automatically equip better gear).

Sword of Farogoal - as Kaizoku mentioned above, it's pretty good although maybe a little simplistic.

Mysterious Castle - Kind of a mix of a roguelike and something like Ultima or other old RPG style combat since you have a small party that you control in a turn based manner. Randomized dungeons though, of course.

Endless Depths - Has a little more of an active combat system than just "run into dude until he's dead"

The Isle of 8-Bit Treasures - A bit more of something like Shiren or Mystery Dungeon - you run through small dungeons and revert to level 1 at the end of each, but you keep loot and powered up weapons from each run. Kind of an interesting thing where it will generate a random dungeon based on a seed taken from one of the songs on your iPhone.

DEAD:
Legends of Yore was a pretty good one but no longer seems to work and was apparently removed from the app store. :smith:

I'm sure there's other ones too that I've tried and discarded, but I guess the point is there are a lot of good roguelikes out there to try if you are a fan of them.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

overdesigned posted:

Block Fortress is addicting as poo poo and fun as hell. Well worth the $1.99 and I dropped more on the XP doubler and a little stack of ~premium currency~ (which is pretty reasonably priced and not terrible to just earn out in small amounts if you wanna pass on buying it).
Stop tempting me! I watched some gameplay videos on youtube (TA and some other guys) and it looks amazing. $2 is a steal for something like that (holy poo poo if they ever add multiplayer / coop!) but I don't have the spare time!

I'm gonna get it anyway :( and then make a strategy sharing thread when I find out I suck at it

StarkRavingMad posted:

:words: all about rogues
Put this in the OP please?

randyest fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 13, 2013

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Heartzbane posted:

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty good. How much tedious micro-management is there at the empire/city level? One thing I always found frustrating for most 4x games is that once you have more than half a dozen cities/regions/armies, the micro-management gets really tedius.

That annoys me too. The management seems about as tedious as in other 4x games. The fact that everything finishes building in Spring (regardless of when you start) helps a little bit. There's also an "empire management" screen that shows the stats on all your cities. The management isn't tedious enough to make me want to stop playing, but like other 4x games no one can seem to get "handling large amounts of information" right.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddamnit Clash of Heroes, why do you have to be so buggy and lovely at syncing?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

randyest posted:

Stop tempting me! I watched some gameplay videos on youtube (TA and some other guys) and it looks amazing. $2 is a steal for something like that (holy poo poo if they ever add multiplayer / coop!) but I don't have the spare time!

I'm gonna get it anyway :( and then make a strategy sharing thread when I find out I suck at it

I was thinking of doing the same thing, I've got the formations of an OP going. I'll post it and link here when I'm done with it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's always odd to me how few roguelikes people remember and how 100 Rogues always comes up (which, even bugs aside, isn't the best of the bunch). Maybe it's true that any publicity is good publicity, since the clusterfuck of 100 Rogues' release seems to have stuck it in people's minds.

Here's what I have in my "Rogues" folder, all of which I think are pretty decent in one way or another:

PORTS - I know Harvey requested "not ports" but most of these that were ported have had their interfaces updated in one form or another to be more usable (exception being Powder, see below):
Rogue Touch - Possibly a bit more developed than the port Kaizoku mentioned above, this is a slightly altered version of Rogue. Has some additional extras like secret characters based on your characters' name, and a nice interface, including tiles.

iNetHack - It's Nethack! On your phone! For free!

Slash 'Em - Port of another well-known roguelike. Also free.

Powder - Powder originally was designed for GameBoy Advance and was ported to like every other platform in existence. Intially free on iPhone but I think requires an IAP purchase to go deeper than level 10. Highly recommend trying the PC version here as the interface is kind of a mess and is probably easier to initially figure out on PC. Does have some neat mechanics, I really like how the gods work.

NOT PORTS:
Cavern - Not a port of anything else, a roguelike made from scratch for iOS. Possibly goon made? Or was that The Dungeon (see below)?

The Dungeon - Seven classes, forty levels, nice tiles.

Cardinal Quest - Very streamlined roguelike (it does things like automatically equip better gear).

Sword of Farogoal - as Kaizoku mentioned above, it's pretty good although maybe a little simplistic.

Mysterious Castle - Kind of a mix of a roguelike and something like Ultima or other old RPG style combat since you have a small party that you control in a turn based manner. Randomized dungeons though, of course.

Endless Depths - Has a little more of an active combat system than just "run into dude until he's dead"

The Isle of 8-Bit Treasures - A bit more of something like Shiren or Mystery Dungeon - you run through small dungeons and revert to level 1 at the end of each, but you keep loot and powered up weapons from each run. Kind of an interesting thing where it will generate a random dungeon based on a seed taken from one of the songs on your iPhone.

DEAD:
Legends of Yore was a pretty good one but no longer seems to work and was apparently removed from the app store. :smith:

I'm sure there's other ones too that I've tried and discarded, but I guess the point is there are a lot of good roguelikes out there to try if you are a fan of them.

Thanks for this post! I haven't heard of a lot of these, so I'll definitely look into some of them.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

overdesigned posted:

I was thinking of doing the same thing, I've got the formations of an OP going. I'll post it and link here when I'm done with it.

Please do, I've been playing this constantly since last Wednesday and there is not enough Block Fortress talk in this thread.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
Since it was on the list but no one's endorsed it, I really enjoyed iNethack. It's not bad once you learn all the gesture controls.. though I think it would be quite painful to learn both that and nethack at the same time. Like, it's easy for me to remember some of the gestures because they are just drawing the letter for the keyboard shortcut for the PC version. But obviously that makes no sense at all if you've not played the game before.

Re: block fortress -- does anyone else find that all strategies eventually converge on a giant tree of guns with minimal walls? A shame, since walls look awesome.

Also, as a dev: Shalinor, I think pulling IAP is pretty cool. I agree with the ethics, and you're getting some press for the crazy reverse-stunt. Well, I don't see anything wrong with paid+IAP per se, but just upping the price on a game that isn't doing well doesn't seem to be right either. Here's a really interesting postmortem on using metrics to adjust IAP: http://gamesauce.org/news/2013/02/07/indie-showcase-dynamic-pixels-goal-defense-ios-android/

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Block Fortress thread is up here!

Yay Block Fortress.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So... Been playing a lot of Jones On Fire.. Is it supposed to make me sad? The fire just keeps growing and raging and the music is slightly sad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So is Radical Fishing a thing I should be excited about tonight?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Feenix posted:

So is Radical Fishing a thing I should be excited about tonight?

I posted about it a few days back. Apparently there's something similar buts it's a rip off?

RF looks pretty cool to me.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Agent Dash just reached 2.0. Seem like a pretty massive update. Haven't really played that since it came out either… I'm sensing a pattern.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

StarkRavingMad posted:

Can anyone go into greater detail on this? It sounds great, but it's also seven dollars.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Agent Dash just reached 2.0. Seem like a pretty massive update. Haven't really played that since it came out either… I'm sensing a pattern.

Went to check the changelog. Saw this

code:

Gameplay starts easier

What the gently caress? How could it possibly be easier? The only reason I quit playing it in the first place was because a previous update made the game slower/easier.

EDIT: installed and tried it again. Yup, it's even slower. gently caress this.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 14, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

Can anyone go into greater detail on this? It sounds great, but it's also seven dollars.

Yeah, this game looks pretty sweet. Wondering if its worth it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Epsilon Plus posted:

It's a neat little game but you can find better ways to spend seven dollars. Skip it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ridiculous Fishing be out in the store.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SquadronROE posted:

So... Been playing a lot of Jones On Fire.. Is it supposed to make me sad? The fire just keeps growing and raging and the music is slightly sad.
I am a cat lover and I love to run.
I'm sorry, I'm thinking about cats again.
I really love cats.
But I can't save every cat.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Little Things Forever just went free. It's a nifty little seek and find/puzzle game that looks beautiful.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Fargoal has been around since 1982 - Jeff McCord the original programmer is also the same person that ported it to iOS (and a nice guy). Its worth the spend if your're a fan of the genre.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Feenix posted:

:banjo: Aww yeah. It's a pretty great game so far. Tilt controls for the reeling, and touch controls for blowing fish guts out of the air.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Looks like an update for Kingdom Rush just hit. Only seems to be showing up on the iPhone version at the moment so hopefully they are getting around to the iPad version.

quote:

- 2 new stages: Face the Ha'Kraj trolls at their home turf!
- 3 new enemies: Challenge the mightiest trolls and their surprise tactics.
- 2 new heroes: Shred them to pieces as Ingvar the Viking werebear or freeze their souls with Eloras Wintersong magics.
- New HARD MODE! Yes, for those looking for a challenge!
- 5 new achievements!
- News system to keep you updated on everything related to Kingdom Rush!
- Fix: Restore Heroes is now working.
- Minor bug fixes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kingdom-rush/id516378985?mt=8

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

I dunno you're supposed to have saved those cats but they don't come in with you when you dive through the door :ohdear:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The mood that JoF sets is loving eerie and amazing. I love it. The music. The setting. The cats meowing as you pick them up. The text that describes the ever growing fire.

Just something about it is really unique and interesting.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bummey posted:

It's a neat little game but you can find better ways to spend seven dollars. Skip it.

Agree (even as the guy who posted it). It's cool, but I got it for a couple bucks I think back when it first came out. I wouldn't drop 7 bucks on it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

DrManiac posted:

I dunno you're supposed to have saved those cats but they don't come in with you when you dive through the door :ohdear:

They become a part of the Meow Squad that saves you when you run out of lives. :3:

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

syndex posted:

Looks like an update for Kingdom Rush just hit. Only seems to be showing up on the iPhone version at the moment so hopefully they are getting around to the iPad version.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kingdom-rush/id516378985?mt=8

Awesome, game needs a hard mode.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Little Inferno just dropped to $0.99!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Feenix posted:

This game is really goddamn good.

• Locked thread