Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fister Roboto posted:

Have you ever considered changing how this works? It's really frustrating in a small or ethnically diverse nation. If you've got 1001 Serbian soldiers and 600 Croatian soldiers, then you can build one brigade. But if two of the Serbs assimilate to become Croats, then you can't build any brigades, even though you have the same number of soldiers.
This doesn't solve the problem, but everyone should really disable units being primary culture only. I can't find the thing that let you control how many men went into a brigade. I think it used to be in defines.lua. Did Paradox remove it? :psyduck:

Mister Bates posted:

If it's alright with you, I might actually use this as a jumping-off point for a slightly larger minimod that does this same thing for various minority cultures, with the ability to add them as accepted cultures if you fulfill certain requirements, and resulting in certain consequences for doing so, like increased militancy among primary-culture pops that have Residency as the dominant issue or something. I'll need to learn how to do this first, of course, but hey, gotta start somewhere.
You'd need separate decisions for each culture, but not each nation. Trying to get anything done in Vicky 2 is like fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

A Srb Divided Deluxe Beta Edition Mk. V for Victoria II: A House Divided

Still a couple blank cores, what i BELIEVE is supposed to be a Wiang Chhan core in salavan and what should be a Philippines core in Cebu.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

This doesn't solve the problem, but everyone should really disable units being primary culture only. I can't find the thing that let you control how many men went into a brigade. I think it used to be in defines.lua. Did Paradox remove it? :psyduck:

I honestly think it would be better to go back to how it was in Vicky 1, where soldier POPs generated manpower points that were needed to build and reinforce units, and standing armies consumed manpower points.

They probably removed it. I know APD experimented with having 1000-man brigades back before AHD came out, and I think it had some weird unintended consequences.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I like that casualties have a real impact on populations, especially since I turned it up. For the first time I'm noticing that when I put a rebellion down, it stays down. The Siege of Kabul was a loving event, not another case of rebel whack-a-mole. I'm waiting for the 20th century to tick over to see how hosed up world wars can get.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fister Roboto posted:

They probably removed it. I know APD experimented with having 1000-man brigades back before AHD came out, and I think it had some weird unintended consequences.

Didn't that cause a ton of lag or something?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Farecoal posted:

Didn't that cause a ton of lag or something?

And the AI couldn't launch naval invasions because it didn't build enough transports. That was when I stopped using APD.

Also, thanks for that reign, one day all the blank cores shall be cleansed!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Also, thanks for that reign, one day all the blank cores shall be cleansed!

I'm not seeing any more strange yellow "cultural union" lines in diplomatic mode where they don't make any sense, so I believe that's the last of them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I run into a problem with the EU3 Map Generator mod. I created a map with the real Old World and a random New World (no clue how it looks, I went for blind mode) so far so good. The problem is, that it made East Sahara, Central Sahara and other "dead" territories as semi-real ones, you can't colonize them but you can move armies trough them. This causes a lot of issues with my Rebel Hunting armies running trough there and almost die to attrition.
It also hosed up the provinces of the African tribes, I was able to "seize colony" all Songhai provinces except the capital.

Anyone know how I could possibly fix the dead territories to be inaccessible or allow them to be colonized?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
New Dev Diary is up
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1347-HoD-DD-4-%96-Wars-and-The-Military

Dark Renown posted:

Hello again, it's time for the 4th Victoria II: Heart of Darkness developer diary. This time I'll be talking about the changes we've made to wars and the military in general. While there's no flashy new battle screen like we revealed for naval battles last week, I think you'll still rather like these changes. So, let's get to them!

First of all, we have Ticking War Score (or TWS) based on certain War Goals (WGs), the idea of which is to make it possible to take land from larger nations without having to launch a total war and occupy 90% of their country. TWS can be caused to Tick in two ways, mostly by holding the land in question, but also by winning the majority of battles when using certain War Goals. WGs which deal with the transfer of land use the former, while the Humiliate and Assert Hegemony Goals Tick on battle score.

The way TWS works in land based Goals is fairly simple: When you add a Goal to take land from someone, occupying at least 75% of that State (or country in the case of an Annex goal) will cause your War Score (WS) to Tick upwards a little each day. On the other hand, if you fail to occupy the State after 2 years, the Owner of the land starts gaining WS instead. If this is your only goal, eventually one side or the other will Tick to 100 WS and will be able to force the other side to surrender.

Things become a little more complex when you start adding additional WGs. In this case, if the Attacker adds a Goal, any accumulated TWS is cut to the WS cost of your original Goal and each Goal may only Tick to it's WS cost, so that you cannot occupy one State until you have 100 WS then add several more WGs to demand in the Peace. For example your Goal is for State A, State A costs 25 WS to demand, you occupy State A and eventually your WS reaches 100. Instead of making peace you add a Goal to also take State B, which costs 30 WS. Your TSW is instantly cut to 25, as it is all from occupying State A. Now if you occupy States A and B your TWS will eventually Tick upwards to 55.
For the Defender things are slightly different, if they add a Goal, all TWS is wiped from their score, as they are no longer fighting a purely defensive war, and their TSW for holding onto their land is capped at the WS cost of their targeted land.
The moral of the story is, TWS is your friend when you fight for a single WG, but it becomes less useful as you add more demands, so don't get greedy unless you want to fight a total war.

For Humiliate and Assert Hegemony there is some TWS added each day to the side with the greatest WS from battles after a certain minimum have been fought (currently 5), and WS from battles is no longer capped, so wars fought over these CBs need not revolve entirely around occupation.

In other WG news, you can no longer Justify Goals against nations you are at war with, but on the other hand, Goals you have a valid CB for no longer cost Jingoism to add to wars.

Finally, for WGs, we have added two new ones: Liberate Nation, which is like Free People, but it releases all States of a given nation, and Dismantle Fortifications, which removes Forts and Naval bases in a given State.

But to achieve those new War Goals you need to know about the changes we've made to the military! First, let me list the changes made to units:

Irregulars have been boosted to be less useless, even if they will never match up to real units one-on-one and are outclassed in the mid to late game.
Cavalry is now the irregular equivalent on the cavalry side, and is a cheap low-stat unit mainly useful for uncivs or cheap recon.
Dragoons are now the 'base' cavalry unit for civs with average recon, manuever and combat stats.
Cuirassers are now an early-game tank with high offensive combat stats but low manuever and no recon.
Hussars are flankers and scouts with poor combat stats but excellent manuever and recon.
Engineers are now the main siege unit used to reduce the effects of enemy forts. They also contribute some support value from the second rank.
Tanks are a siege unit used to batter down late-game fortifications along with engineers. They have strong offensive combat stats but are weak on the defense.
Artillery is now exclusively a support unit only useful in the second rank.
Planes are a special unit that combines recon and support from the second rank.
Guards are an elite unit that is strong on the offensive but weak on the defensive, making all-Guards armies impractical.

Recon/Siege:
New stat: Siege (replaces Fort Attack)

Recon and Siege operate as follows: The highest siege/recon value in an army is used, but the army must be composed of at least 10% recon/siege units to gain the full benefit of the value.

Recon and Siege Efficiency (the % of recon/siege brigades in the army compared to optimal number) is now displayed in unit view.

Recon reduces the dig-in bonus of enemy units and speeds up occupation. Siege reduces the number of effective fort levels in an enemy province (forts slow down occupation speed and damage dealt to units in battle).

Occupation and Attrition:
Occupation speed scales with army size up to a point. Sieging with single brigades will be very slow, while sieging with a proper army with good recon and siege stats will be much faster than before.

Supply Limits have been flattened to reduce the differences between the province owner and others, making it more viable to use large armies in enemy territory. However, all units engaged in an occupation will take a fixed amount of attrition regardless of size to represent desertion, disease and resistance from the population.

And that's not all, Mobilisation has been changed as well: Instead of all your units appearing at once and at 0 Organisation, units now appear in smaller chunks, but are fully organised. The Speed at which units appear is influenced by the Railway level in their home States, so smaller Nations with advanced Rail networks should be able to field their Mobilised troops a lot faster than sprawling, backwards nations:

Finally, we have added a button to disband brigades from soldier pops that are too small to support them:

and we have added a rather fun feature from Their Finest Hour, Battle plans!

These allow you to draw out plans with arrows, icons for units and bases etc. either for your own fun, or to share with other players in Multiplayer to better coordinate with them. Plans can be saved and edited later, and you can toggle multiple plans on or off at any time to see how they interact.

Nothing too major but a couple of nice changes, especially having ticking warscore.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

First of all, we have Ticking War Score (or TWS) based on certain War Goals (WGs), the idea of which is to make it possible to take land from larger nations without having to launch a total war and occupy 90% of their country. TWS can be caused to Tick in two ways, mostly by holding the land in question, but also by winning the majority of battles when using certain War Goals. WGs which deal with the transfer of land use the former, while the Humiliate and Assert Hegemony Goals Tick on battle score.

Oh my god finally. Fighting the UK in V2 has to be the most painful experience in any Paradox game.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Also happy to see battle plans in. Functionally useless, but they add a nice RP fun factor for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Those are some really good changes. Vicky 2 might actually become a fun game at this rate!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Janissary Hop posted:

Oh my god finally. Fighting the UK in V2 has to be the most painful experience in any Paradox game.

Never fight a land war in British India. :ohdear:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
HoD is looking fantastic.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

BillBear posted:

I recently gave up a game as sikh empire because fighting the uk every five years was completely awful. I had gotten Delhi and a few other states but as the tech lead kept widening I couldn't win big enough victories to get them to accept anything but white peace.

Other fun V2 fighting the UK moments

-Occupying all of canada as USA and killing all the uk's armies up there and the random navies it sent my way but still not having enough war score for them to give up and give me, I think it was quebec? Some single Canadian state.

-Occupying all of the home isles and smashing its armies there and its navies as greater Germany and still not having enough war score to win a great war, with the UK at 100% war exhaustion to boot. I started shifting things around to occupy India until I realized, what am I doing with my life and just tag switched and forced them to surrender.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HoD Dev Diary posted:

WS from battles is no longer capped
This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've said I would've bought HoD just for that one feature :allears:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

quote:

In other WG news, you can no longer Justify Goals against nations you are at war with, but on the other hand, Goals you have a valid CB for no longer cost Jingoism to add to wars.
Booooo!I'm gonna get so much more badboy from that change. :(

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Vodos posted:

Booooo!I'm gonna get so much more badboy from that change. :(

Yeah I get why they did it since it's silly to be manufacturing border incidents while you have pushed the border back about 50 km, and especially silly when you occupy the entire country, but still, now badboy will be even more annoying.... eh, I guess I can always mod down the amount of infamy you get for stuff :v:.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

BillBear posted:

I'm rolling the British back in India and am about to completely dismantle their network of principalities, but I'm also A#1 AfghaniBlob and have basically already won the game. I did all I could to placate the British and Chinese until I made my first strike. I was mostly worried about the naval war since I only have about 15 monitors and some cheap transports, but I've found that the British rarely use more than groups of 4 wooden ships in any given fleet. I had to port up for a few months, but other than that my small iron fleet has been a loving wrecking crew. It's almost the 20th century and post-Suez, too. Is this APD loving the AI up or just vanilla?

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've said I would've bought HoD just for that one feature :allears:
They're removing the 25 WS cap on battles? :getin:

DrProsek posted:

Yeah I get why they did it since it's silly to be manufacturing border incidents while you have pushed the border back about 50 km, and especially silly when you occupy the entire country, but still, now badboy will be even more annoying.... eh, I guess I can always mod down the amount of infamy you get for stuff :v:.
I always imagined it as some clerk walking out of a bombed out post office and saying "Look, guys! I found these papers saying that we owned this poo poo hundreds of years ago!"

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is the tax slider screen the only information you get in terms of income in EUIII? I feel like it's not descriptive enough as to why you're suddenly losing gold yearly when the exact scenario was just fine a few years earlier.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

YouTuber posted:

Is the tax slider screen the only information you get in terms of income in EUIII? I feel like it's not descriptive enough as to why you're suddenly losing gold yearly when the exact scenario was just fine a few years earlier.

That's all you get. Are you sure it's the exact same scenario? Did you expand your military, or lose a load of merchants, or something?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Friend Commuter posted:

That's all you get. Are you sure it's the exact same scenario? Did you expand your military, or lose a load of merchants, or something?
Checking out triggered modifiers is also a good idea, it's pretty easy to miss them. (And even if you don't have any causing you to make less money now, you might have had some that caused you to make more before.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

YouTuber posted:

There's Expense and Income ledger screens that are more descriptive in the economics section. They should tell you everything that cost and made you money in a given year.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

YouTuber posted:

There's a lot of stuff that can reduce your income that is pretty easy to miss:
- High war exhaustion or revolt risk effect province tax (I think), so they can cause your taxes to tank
- You might have lost some merchants. Infamy reduces your merchants' compete chance.
- I always forget that colonial maintenance can get pretty steep.
- Some of the modifiers for trading in goods (Trading in Slaves, etc.) are really good and if you lose them, your expenses shoot up. These are pretty fluid so they can cause a lot of fluxuations in income.
- As A Buttery Pastry noted, there might be some other weirdness going on with triggered modifiers, or maybe a province modifier (e.g. Heresy).
- I often find that the game has lowered the amount I am minting for one reason or another (I rarely lock my sliders).
- It's the go-to answer, but check your military maintenance sliders.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 15, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to presume it was losing merchants. I'm under the force limit in both Army and Navy and my War Exhaustion is very small as is my Infamy. There are pirates blocking a few of my colonial ports in the region extending from Australia and the Phillipines to Madagascar. It's outright impossible to patrol all of it even with the patrol options for ships. They end up sinking from nonstop combat and oversea journey attrition.

Is it a good option to "sell" the colonies in the Papau New Guinea area to my local vassals? The vassals should be patrolling their own ports and give 50% of their income to me correct?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

YouTuber posted:

I'm going to presume it was losing merchants. I'm under the force limit in both Army and Navy and my War Exhaustion is very small as is my Infamy. There are pirates blocking a few of my colonial ports in the region extending from Australia and the Phillipines to Madagascar. It's outright impossible to patrol all of it even with the patrol options for ships. They end up sinking from nonstop combat and oversea journey attrition.

Is it a good option to "sell" the colonies in the Papau New Guinea area to my local vassals? The vassals should be patrolling their own ports and give 50% of their income to me correct?

You don't actually have to patrol to stop pirates. Just put a small ship in a port adjoining a sea zone and pirates won't spawn there. A lot of the time each sea zone borders multiple ports so it's not too bad.

In terms of selling colonies, I wouldn't do it. The East Indies are really valuable and vassals don't give you a very good percentage. In the long run you'll be better off if you round up a decent fleet to take out the pirates, then just park one ship in a port on each sea zone. The pirates will never spawn again.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Losing merchants doesn't affect your annual income or monthly expenditures. Merchant income only helps with investment income, the money you spend upgrading your tech levels, stability, or minting. Now, what might happen is you have a bonus like "Trading in Grain: +25% Land Forcelimits Modifier" from trading in enough CoTs with Grain. If you lose enough merchants that you no longer have that bonus, and you built up to your forcelimit, you are now way over your forcelimit possibly, which could cause a hemorrhaging of cash.

If you need a breakdown of EU3 economics, YouTuber, I can do one.

E: Here is a breakdown of how you can use ships to stop pirates without patrolling. First thing to know is that docked ships CAN prevent pirates, but only Light or Big ships, not Galleys or Transports as far as I know.

0 0 0 0 0
z x y x z

This may be hard to visualize, but imagine a row of sea zones, with each 0 being a zea zone. Sea zone Y is adjacent to both sea zone X's, and each sea zone X is adjacent to Y and one Z. Now, if I dock a Light Ship in a port in sea zone Y, then there will never be pirates in sea zone Y or either of sea zone Xs. If I leave a Light Ship in sea out in sea zone Y, undocked, then pirates will not spawn in sea zone Y, either X, or either Z

Another way to think about it is the presence of a Light or Big ship prevents pirates from spawning 2 sea zones away, with a dock having a range of 1 from the sea zone it is adjacent to.

E2: So if you want to eliminate pirate spawns, you would do something like this:

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
x y x x y x x y x

Where you have a docked Light Ship at a port adjacent to each Y sea zone. You want to use light ships because their maintenance is cheaper than big ships.

The pirate rule above should be steadfast, but the game doesn't always calculate distance from a boat for pirate purposes properly. There is a mapmode called "Revolt Mapmode that will show a seazone as red if pirates are going to spawn there.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
x y x z y x x y x

Lets say seazone Z is red in Revolt Mapmode. If you just put a light ship in a port in sea zone Z, the pirate threat will go away and the zone will appear green in Revolt Mapmode.

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 15, 2013

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MC2552John posted:

Losing merchants doesn't affect your annual income or monthly expenditures. Merchant income only helps with investment income, the money you spend upgrading your tech levels, stability, or minting.

Wait, what? Merchants affect your Trade income, which is part of your non-investment income, right?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

MC2552John posted:

Here is a breakdown of how you can use ships to stop pirates without patrolling. First thing to know is that docked ships CAN prevent pirates, but only Light or Big ships, not Galleys or Transports as far as I know.

Galleys have always stopped pirates for me, but this makes me wonder; is it the case that galleys can only protect their own zone? I ask because that's how it seems to be, but I have had times where a single fleet was able to stop spawns in an adjacent sea zone. I never figured out why, and tentatively guessed that it had to do with the size of the fleet, but now I'm wondering if composition is what matters.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Honestly, I usually just end up disabling blockades so that pirates won't spawn. It sucks losing blockades but it's an acceptable price to pay for not having to deal with micromanagement bollocks.

I really hope EU4 gets rid of pirates, or at the very least makes dealing with them not incredibly unfun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Wait, what? Merchants affect your Trade income, which is part of your non-investment income, right?

No, trade income is monthly income, which is what your investments are. Basically, 100% of your monthly income is converted into investments, 100% of your year-end income is placed into your treasury. The only way to get monthly income into your treasury is to mint. Now granted, if you have a lot of trade income, rely on minting, and lose some merchants, you'll make less money than usual.

Also, sending merchants can be more expensive than you think. Sometimes you end up in a situation where you're spending more money maintaining your CoT status than you're making from them. If competition is fierce in a CoT, you can lose a lot of money awfully fast if the auto-send is just sending a lot of merchants off. So pay attention to these things and if you notice them happening in a specific CoT, pull out.

And again, I should re-iterate that you should open up your ledger and look at the economics section. It should tell you exactly where all of your money is coming from and where every spent penny of it is going.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bishop Rodan posted:

Honestly, I usually just end up disabling blockades so that pirates won't spawn. It sucks losing blockades but it's an acceptable price to pay for not having to deal with micromanagement bollocks.

I really hope EU4 gets rid of pirates, or at the very least makes dealing with them not incredibly unfun.

It's downright weird that they haven't been fixed yet (besides the stupid automatic patrol that gets all your ships killed in wartime). Does ANYONE think they're fun?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, sending merchants can be more expensive than you think. Sometimes you end up in a situation where you're spending more money maintaining your CoT status than you're making from them. If competition is fierce in a CoT, you can lose a lot of money awfully fast if the auto-send is just sending a lot of merchants off. So pay attention to these things and if you notice them happening in a specific CoT, pull out.

This is something I've had to learn the hard way. My rule of thumb is that I just don't bother with trading unless either a) I have my own COT or b) I'm at at least +1 Free Trade.

If you're a very large empire with your own COT, it can actually be beneficial to go towards mercantilism, since you get a huge bonus to compete chance from your own trade value. Then when you unlock monopolies, you starting sending your merchants to compete out foreign ones. When you have a monopoly, every empty spot in a COT counts as an additional merchant for you, so you can get a ridiculous amount of income from a single COT. Unfortunately you have to do this manually.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 15, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

This is something I've had to learn the hard way. My rule of thumb is that I just don't bother with trading unless either a) I have my own COT or b) I'm at at least +1 Free Trade.

If you're a very large empire with your own COT, it can actually be beneficial to go towards mercantilism, since you get a huge bonus to compete chance from your own trade value. Then when you unlock monopolies, you starting sending your merchants to compete out foreign ones. When you have a monopoly, every empty spot in a COT counts as an additional merchant for you, so you can get a ridiculous amount of income from a single COT. Unfortunately you have to do this manually.

On the other hand, chasing out merchants from your COT and just letting yourself sit there will create stagnation and eventually the entire COT could disband due to it.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's downright weird that they haven't been fixed yet (besides the stupid automatic patrol that gets all your ships killed in wartime). Does ANYONE think they're fun?

Piracy is trivial to deal with as long as you have ships docked nearby. Just pepper the coast with docked ships and none should ever spawn in your waters. No patrolling necessary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Piracy is trivial to deal with as long as you have ships docked nearby. Just pepper the coast with docked ships and none should ever spawn in your waters. No patrolling necessary.

I think that the other issue is that even if you can stop piracy this way, it makes a total mess out of the Fleet Management part of the sidebar because you've got dozens of 1-ship fleets in the list.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

New EU3 Dev Diary about the Coalition system and changes they've made to overextension and coring. Overall it sounds promising, hopefully the quick initial speed to core doesn't upset any balance (or my fragile borders).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think that the other issue is that even if you can stop piracy this way, it makes a total mess out of the Fleet Management part of the sidebar because you've got dozens of 1-ship fleets in the list.

Yeah, this. Preventing pirates from spawning is trivial even with transports and galleys, just check the revolt risk map mode and put a ship in a port where the coast is red. I like that it forces countries with long coasts to actually have some kind of navy, but having to disable the navy category on the sidebar after a while sucks, and the huge amount of single ship fleets parked off the coast really clutters up the map.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

BBJoey posted:

New EU3 Dev Diary about the Coalition system and changes they've made to overextension and coring. Overall it sounds promising, hopefully the quick initial speed to core doesn't upset any balance (or my fragile borders).

quote:

Coring Provinces
Since overextension changed, so has how you add provinces to your core. First of all, the price in administrative power points scales depending, again, on the basetax of the province. There are several ideas that decrease it for you, and increase it for your enemies. Secondly, coring is no longer instant. It takes 3 years, not counting any modifiers, to core it. All the while you still have the overextension penalties to cost of stability and to your revolt risk. Larger countries core province much more slowly, as each non-overseas province you own will increase coring times by 5%.
No more Paris -> Parysborg overnight! Yay! :neckbeard:

e: Nitpick time! I'm not quite sure why overextension increases your mercenary costs: it seems like having a hastily-organised country with recent conquests should, if anything, hurt your manpower and encourage you to use more mercenaries. The other modifiers look good, though.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 15, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NihilCredo posted:

e: Nitpick time! I'm not quite sure why overextension increases your mercenary costs: it seems like having a hastily-organised country with recent conquests should, if anything, hurt your manpower and encourage you to use more mercenaries. The other modifiers look good, though.

I'm guessing it's there for gameplay rather than 'realism' reasons. I'm guessing if you were large and wealthy enough you could use large mercenary armies to bludgeon your way through the penalties and this just makes that a bit less viable.

It's kind of interesting to speculate about how these sorts of changes are going to impact how the game is played. 'Mid tier' nations should be able to bootstrap themselves up to a decent strength fairly quickly compared to the large powers being more constrained by overextension. This should hopefully lead to a more dynamic map and thus more varied and interesting gameplay, as well as making trade powers such as Venice closer to their historical strength, though if they fail to make use of their early power to get territorial gains they will be quickly left in the dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meadowlark
May 25, 2012
What the heck is going on in Bardia? :stare:

• Locked thread