Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CPL593H posted:

Remember when everyone made fun of the RSD reissue of Rumors? Well get a load of this.

I would love to pick up nice copies of Rumours and The Gambler from a dollar bin, but that just isn't happening where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Wake me when they reissue the Ray Coniff catalog.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wilbur Swain posted:

Wake me when they reissue the Ray Coniff catalog.

Only if they issue the superior mono mixes, man. Ray Coniff was mixing for mono, you know. He was just forced to do stereo by the powers that be.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Could we get 200 gram Kamahl reissues for Australia while we're at it?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Bliggers- posted:

I would love to pick up nice copies of Rumours and The Gambler from a dollar bin, but that just isn't happening where I live.

Everyone's always yapping about piles of mint Beatles albums for <$10 and that just isn't happening where I am. A beat to hell stereo Sgt Peppers gets a $25 price tag on it. That said, there are about 500 copies of Rumours for $6 here. I've never looked for The Gambler.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Mace Bacon posted:

Could we get 200 gram Kamahl reissues for Australia while we're at it?

Why are you so unkind?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

eggsovereasy posted:

Everyone's always yapping about piles of mint Beatles albums for <$10 and that just isn't happening where I am. A beat to hell stereo Sgt Peppers gets a $25 price tag on it. That said, there are about 500 copies of Rumours for $6 here. I've never looked for The Gambler.

Beatles records are always going to be expensive. They sell well to people who have no interest in records otherwise. See also: Pink Floyd.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

i heard if you smoke weed and listen to 'the dead on vinyl you can see the universe.

edit:

its just what i heard but i don't know for certain

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just fuckin passed up a bunch of Beatles albums for $0.99/each at the Salvation Army the other day because they were only $5 or something on eBay. Now I kinda hate myself.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Tusen Takk posted:

I just fuckin passed up a bunch of Beatles albums for $0.99/each at the Salvation Army the other day because they were only $5 or something on eBay. Now I kinda hate myself.

what

I ordered a UK mono copy of Sgt Pepper's off Discogs (complete with insert and inner sleeve) for $36 in "very good" condition, let's hope it actually is what he says it is.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I just got a great copy of the Gambler from the thrift store the other day for a buck. One of my favorite songs when I was a kid and I've always liked the cover.

It hasn't aged very well at all and other than the title song, I'm mystified why it warrants a special release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cloks posted:

I assume that the ones he's talking about are the ones that I hate - casual followers who make poorly informed purchases and are overly enthusiastic to the point of annoyance.

Well here's the thing. Right now I think it's largely those people who are propping up this industry. I've been concerned for a while that everything is going right into the toilet when vinyl records aren't "cool" anymore.

david puddy posted:

what

I ordered a UK mono copy of Sgt Pepper's off Discogs (complete with insert and inner sleeve) for $36 in "very good" condition, let's hope it actually is what he says it is.

Are you familiar with the standard grading system? Typically "Very Good" isn't really that good.

iostream.h posted:

I just got a great copy of the Gambler from the thrift store the other day for a buck. One of my favorite songs when I was a kid and I've always liked the cover.

It hasn't aged very well at all and other than the title song, I'm mystified why it warrants a special release.

Baby boomer nostalgia. Much like a good chunk of the RSD releases.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 14, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Are you familiar with the standard grading system? Typically "Very Good" isn't really that good.

Eh, he has several thousand positive feedback and only a couple of negative/neutral commenting on the grading so I'm not too worried. As long is it plays OK I will be satisfied.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

What records have you guys bought that are now exploded in value? I bought Passion Pit - Manners for $15 when it came out and now I see that its selling on Discogs for $200. Just recently I bought the Haim - Forever single for $8 and now it goes for $100+. I don't really sell records but its still fun to see.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I've seen Have A Nice Life - Deathconciousness go for like ~$150 when I got it for $35

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Finally arrived from France. I have managed to reign in my eBay impulse purchases.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

The Read Menace posted:

What records have you guys bought that are now exploded in value? I bought Passion Pit - Manners for $15 when it came out and now I see that its selling on Discogs for $200. Just recently I bought the Haim - Forever single for $8 and now it goes for $100+. I don't really sell records but its still fun to see.

Huh. I was always wondering what Manners was worth now. I bought it from a guy in Germany for $25.

These aren't all exactly "exploding" in value, but I found it interesting that they increased by at least double what I paid for them:

Artist - Album: Purchased for > Current Value

As Tall As Lions - S/T: $6 > $130 (seen it at $200 before)
As Tall As Lions - You Can't Take it With You: $16 > $65
Blink 182 - Enema of the State (x/182 blue reissue): $30 > $90
Bon Iver / Peter Gabriel: Come Talk to Me / Flume 7": $6 > $40
Dear and the Headlights - Small Steps, Heavy Hooves: $18 > $70
Dear and the Headlights - Drunk Like Bible Times: $18 > $75
Mae - The Everglow: $20 > $90
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice: $23 > $60
Minus the Bear - Steel and Blood 7": $12 > $35
Passion Pit - Manners: $25 > at least $77 (Highest I saw on Discogs.)

Fake James fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 14, 2013

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

The Read Menace posted:

Thank You by Psychic TV. Bought it for like $15 I think now it goes from $50 to $150 on Discogs. It came with an awesome patch but I'm afraid to take it off the cover and lower the value. Ha.

Also M B V finally came and I'm blissing out before work

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Read Menace posted:

The only albums I have that really shot up in value are Fun - Aim and Ignite (which I got right before the band blew the gently caress up), Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 (which I got on Amazon for like, $12 and is going for around $30 on Discogs) and Jay-Z - The Blueprint (which I got when Best Buy was getting rid of all of their records for like, $5).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I wonder what the most flipped RSD releases will be this year. I've seen the list of releases and I have no loving clue. Previous years were really predictable. Oh a limited Beck single? Oh a limited Gorillaz single? etc.

Big tip to everyone not too familiar with RSD (yeah right):

Just wait a couple of weeks and every single release will probably be back to its original price.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I wonder what the most flipped RSD releases will be this year. I've seen the list of releases and I have no loving clue. Previous years were really predictable. Oh a limited Beck single? Oh a limited Gorillaz single? etc.

Just wait a couple of weeks and every single release will probably be back to its original price.

Trapped in the Closet is probably gonna be the biggest deal. (I didn't see anything aside from the Lonely Island single that I want)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I'm really conflicted on the TOYPAJ pre-order. On one hand I'm a sucker for nostalgia, on the other hand holy hell $50 for an album.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A few pickups from the 49 cent bin at Salvation Army.

My habit of buying everything with Swedish text that looks like it might be Rock is working. Also I don't own any Randy Newman records so I guess I'll start with those.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Read Menace posted:

I don't generally keep track of this poo poo but the few I know about are the Mono Icky Thump and Dual Mono by the Greenhornes. I bought Dual Mono for six dollars on clearance. This album often fetches 50-100 dollars now.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Turntable question.
I'm on a short trip in Missouri and I'm occupying my free time checking out the thrifts and pawn. One of the latter variety had this thing:

Pioneer PL-460, made in 1985. Not sure what the hell Boss had to do with it, but for being priced at $75 it felt a little too plastic to buy right off the bat. It's not going anywhere, soon.
So, in the meantime, I thought I'd check in and see if this model has any redeeming qualities, since I haven't managed to find a good turntable for under $100 anywhere else, thus far.

I also picked up a copy of Genesis's Mama/Shapes album.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Trapped in the Closet is probably gonna be the biggest deal. (I didn't see anything aside from the Lonely Island single that I want)

I want this, the Dan Deacon 7" and nothing else. This year's list is pretty underwhelming.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
The only thing I want is that pre Unwound LP. Thank god its not some dumb reissue and an actual never before heard album from 20 years ago.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Probably the one I want, the 12" demos for Steven Wilson's new album. Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson releases all skyrocket in value as soon as they're sold out (I just sold a CD for $260) and his new album is loving incredible. I can imagine they'll get pretty pricy.

re: skyrocketing prices, the best example I've got is Down the Way by Angus & Julia Stone. I bought it for $80 last year (so they'd been out of print 2 years) and then one sold on eBay for $256. They've since sold on Discogs for ~$300 a few times and all of a sudden there are heaps of copies for sale for $400+ (which aren't selling). Some others I've got include El Cielo by dredg, the Batman Begins OST and Plains of the Purple Buffalo by *shels.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

WASDF posted:

I've seen Have A Nice Life - Deathconciousness go for like ~$150 when I got it for $35

Ugh... I looked on discogs yesterday and the cheapest available was £145. I remember the buzz about this one being reissued, but I never actually checked out the album until a few months later. I seriously regret that now given how much I love the album. I think the Botch- We Are the Romans repress came out at around a similar time, and I snagged one of those, so it's not all bad :D

Recent vinyl scores include: The Dillinger Escape Plan- One of us is the Killer (this will either arrive on clear w/black splatter or tan w/black splatter. I also picked up Light Bearer's phenomenal new album Silver Tongue, pressed on Gold/Black marble. Printed inner sleeves, 2 inserts, this is going to be beautiful. I haven't been this excited for a record to arrive in ages.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

wa27 posted:

A few pickups from the 49 cent bin at Salvation Army.

My habit of buying everything with Swedish text that looks like it might be Rock is working. Also I don't own any Randy Newman records so I guess I'll start with those.

Nationalteatern are legit good, and I'm pretty sure that could go for big bucks in Sweden if it's in good condition.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Weird stuff happens in Sweden. One of my Joe Ely records is apparently a Swedish pressing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Turntable question.
I'm on a short trip in Missouri and I'm occupying my free time checking out the thrifts and pawn. One of the latter variety had this thing:

Pioneer PL-460, made in 1985. Not sure what the hell Boss had to do with it, but for being priced at $75 it felt a little too plastic to buy right off the bat. It's not going anywhere, soon.
So, in the meantime, I thought I'd check in and see if this model has any redeeming qualities, since I haven't managed to find a good turntable for under $100 anywhere else, thus far.

I also picked up a copy of Genesis's Mama/Shapes album.

Doesn't it have a p-mount cartridge? That's always a huge minus in my book since it severely limits your options. Some 1980s Pioneers had a plastic covering but there was a metal chassis underneath - was there weight to it?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Finch - What It Is To Burn (Reissue, HT exclusive, /1500)

Great timing, too. I'm seeing one of their reunion shows tonight.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Got my latest Third Man Vault package in the mail and it looks excellent. Can't wait to hear it!

Also with regards to the Nick Drake talk earlier, look what's getting reissued:

http://exclaim.ca/News/nick_drake_honoured_with_box_set_reissue_of_bryter_layter_live_tribute_album_featuring_vashti_bunyan_robyn_hitchcock

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Got my latest Third Man Vault package in the mail and it looks excellent. Can't wait to hear it!

Also with regards to the Nick Drake talk earlier, look what's getting reissued:

http://exclaim.ca/News/nick_drake_honoured_with_box_set_reissue_of_bryter_layter_live_tribute_album_featuring_vashti_bunyan_robyn_hitchcock

They did one of these for Pink Moon. So those of you who don't want to pay 80 bucks for a fancy box full of useless poo poo, be aware that there will almost certainly be a stand alone version for 24.99.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

The Read Menace posted:

Paid $30ish for My Morning Jacket - Okonokos
It looks to be $100+ now. I'd still pay $100+ for it now, if I didn't already own it:)

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

The Read Menace posted:

Every Vault package I have is worth 2 to 5 times the purchase price according to popsike.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Every Vault package I have is worth 2 to 5 times the purchase price according to popsike.

I keep wondering how long it'll take for that bubble to burst.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

I got Modern Baseball's Sports on blue vinyl on the way in the mail. I'm pretty excited since it's an awesome album and it's the first record I've bought in like 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CPL593H posted:

I keep wondering how long it'll take for that bubble to burst.

Considering none of the material will ever be repressed and most people on the Vault keep their stuff instead of flipping it, I wouldn't expect values to drop too low. Certain packages, like the White Stripes ones, are not coming down in price anytime soon.