Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Drunken Lullabies posted:

So this is the ugly on that 325is, the rest of the interior looks otherwise completely unused. The light for the gas gauge is out but otherwise the dash and cluster is good. And just in general, interior is one of my lowest priorities right now because I don't like the color anyway. Should I? I have a few days to decide because I have to travel to it to even see it.
It otherwise is 1 owner and has a metric ton of service history, so I think I know what I'm going to do...

Do it. Front fenders are easy to replace. Sport seats are always roughed up. The hood looks a little misaligned but that's fixable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
The hood looks fine in other recent pictures, he has the hood kind of popped and adjar in a ton of the ones he sent me for some reason. A lot of the pictures were taken in a service bay. But I'll see about it for sure when I see it in person. I'll probably go buy it in 10-15 days and report back. It has, what I'm led to believe is a binder full of dealership service history, which you really just don't see every day with an e30.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 13, 2013

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Thanks for the help earlier with my squeaky engine, I ended up having a coolant leak a few days after (:argh:) and the shop replaced my fan clutch too, which has mostly solved my squeaking problem.

Anyway, about a month ago I replaced my factory head unit and ever since I've lost the intermittent settings on my wipers (I only have super fast and super slow), my cruise control stopped working, and it also broke all the various efficiency/distance/etc gadgets in the computer. I'm sure that I soldered all the connections properly, but apparently I somehow managed to break something in the process. I did a bit of research and found that a failing/broken speed sensor can cause issues like what I'm having, but I'm a bit hesitant to start buying things without goon approval as money is a bit tight right now.

Do these issues sound familiar to anyone? I was ignoring it just fine for a while, but now that the rainy season has begun I'm really missing my wiper settings.

Also, I'm coming up on 200k miles - does anyone have a list of things to replace/lube/clean/whatever that I can use to start budgeting for the maintenance?

edit: My car info would probably help :downs: 1990 525i

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 13, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here's some more pics:

I don't even know what to do with this thing it's so fast.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Here's some more pics:

I don't even know what to do with this thing it's so fast.

Drive the poo poo out of it you maroon!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do aburnout.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
drive it into a pole.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nitr0 posted:

drive it into a pole.

This is the likely outcome.

I'm working right now but I can see it right out my window, taunting me to go for a drive. drat it I have work to do!

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I forgot to include what model my car is, :cripes: it's a 1990 525i. Hopefully that helps! :saddowns:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You should take it to a track and tell us all about it.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone familiar with this dealership? Also if buying a car with this low miles is a concern? Obviously not looking for something that has been sitting in a garage for years.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4491&form_display=51#.UUDkYoct1SM

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Koirhor posted:

Anyone familiar with this dealership? Also if buying a car with this low miles is a concern? Obviously not looking for something that has been sitting in a garage for years.

The cars are generally good as they are thorough, but their prices are far above market value on most cars. Unless you're absolutely set on low mileage, you can buy some VERY nice examples from e46fanatics or m3forum for 10k less and have plenty leftover to cover any needed repairs and add some go fast bits.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

This is the likely outcome.

I'm working right now but I can see it right out my window, taunting me to go for a drive. drat it I have work to do!

Have you thought about an exhaust yet? I've been leaning toward the Akra evo system. A friend just got the Eisenmann race setup and won't stop raving about it -- I'm still partial to Akra's facility and machining setup.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

thealphabetsez posted:

Have you thought about an exhaust yet? I've been leaning toward the Akra evo system. A friend just got the Eisenmann race setup and won't stop raving about it -- I'm still partial to Akra's facility and machining setup.

Das Volk used to have an Akrapovic exhaust on his old E92 and it did indeed sound amazing. It wasn't cheap though -- something like $5k?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thealphabetsez posted:

Probably not. Gains are in going catless and I haven't gotten board of the sound yet.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Hog Obituary posted:

Das Volk used to have an Akrapovic exhaust on his old E92 and it did indeed sound amazing. It wasn't cheap though -- something like $5k?

Gdwuah? $5,000 for a few pieces of metal tubing? Jesus Christ.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

I thought he went Dinan?! I finally got to hear an Akra E92 (no cats) three weeks back. While raspy, very raspy without cats, the presence was just tingling. ~$7k

Jealous Cow posted:

Probably not. Gains are in going catless and I haven't gotten board of the sound yet.

I'm certainly not in the market to chase down gains, merely the unrestricted sound!

Method Loser posted:

Gdwuah? $5,000 for a few pieces of metal tubing? Jesus Christ.

GTS components can be had for $9500... Akra is a bargain at $7k haha.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Spend the money on cut slicks and brakes and coilies instead. Be sensible and also fast.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

thealphabetsez posted:

I thought he went Dinan?! I finally got to hear an Akra E92 (no cats) three weeks back. While raspy, very raspy without cats, the presence was just tingling. ~$7k
Yeah, he had a Dinan first, but sold it and got the Akrapovic.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Koirhor posted:

You're seriously thinking of spending $33,000 on a 9 year old car?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/3679204442.html

A little more miles but a lot more advanced. An actual idrive system and bluetooth. Unless you're super attached to the body style I guess but don't buy that.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nitr0 posted:

You're seriously thinking of spending $33,000 on a 9 year old car?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/3679204442.html

A little more miles but a lot more advanced. An actual idrive system and bluetooth. Unless you're super attached to the body style I guess but don't buy that.

Well the E46 M3 is sort of a nostalgic dream car for me, I could never afford one when they were sold new, this particular dealership does seem to do the best job of finding examples that are as close to new as possible. If I wanted a E9X M3 I'd just order one new.

I was more worried about a 10 year old car with that few miles and what I should look for as far as neglect or sitting too long? How often should a car be driven to prevent neglect issues?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I make sure mine gets warmed up once a week when I'm away for long periods. Miles doesn't matter as much if everything is warmed and lubricated frequently and fluids are changed on time (not just on miles). I'd personally be more worried about it possibly being a track-only car that's been thrashed hard. I mean, they're built for that, but still...

edit: but that is almost an Australia price for an e46 M3. You guys in :911: should take advantage of the fact and not pay insane prices like we do

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 14, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

With the talk about E46s... I peaked around on carsoup.com/autotrader.com/ebay.com and there so many for sale.

What would I potentially be getting myself into if I pick one these up? Assuming the cooling system and suspension have had the proper maintenance. There's a few in Minneapolis, Omaha with 100,000 - for about $10k. Give or a take a few.

case
Mar 27, 2005

My 1988 E30 325i Sport Mtech 2 with 90k ish miles on is up for sale for an AI price of £1750

Have a look http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=2#post413422187 :)

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

case posted:

My 1988 E30 325i Sport Mtech 2 with 90k ish miles on is up for sale for an AI price of £1750

Have a look http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=2#post413422187 :)

I need to figure out how to trailer this across the ocean.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Well the E46 M3 is sort of a nostalgic dream car for me, I could never afford one when they were sold new, this particular dealership does seem to do the best job of finding examples that are as close to new as possible. If I wanted a E9X M3 I'd just order one new.

I was more worried about a 10 year old car with that few miles and what I should look for as far as neglect or sitting too long? How often should a car be driven to prevent neglect issues?
Paying more than about USD$22k for a E46 M3 is crazy-town.

As long as it's under about 120k miles you're gonna be fine and it'll last you a long time with good care. You don't need to look for a pristine 40k mile example or anything.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Kenshin posted:

Paying more than about USD$22k for a E46 M3 is crazy-town.

As long as it's under about 120k miles you're gonna be fine and it'll last you a long time with good care. You don't need to look for a pristine 40k mile example or anything.

I am not an M car expert, but is there a special reason why over 120k miles is a bad thing other than high miles, and the usual BMW cooling system, bushings, etc?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am not an M car expert, but is there a special reason why over 120k miles is a bad thing other than high miles, and the usual BMW cooling system, bushings, etc?
Not really. If you get a well-cared-for 150k mi example it'd be fine too. I kinda pulled that number out of my rear end, but at the same time, it depends on how long you want the car to last you.

That said, you can take a look at the age of the car & number of miles it's got, so you can figure out how much it's been driven per year. While you probably don't want something that's hardly been driven, you probably also don't want a car somebody's been driving 50mi per day nearly every day for years and years.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I kinda figured. I have come from the school of thought of its better to have a well taken care of example that is slightly high on miles vs a garage queen that is only driven every so often, because its just asking that a million little annoying things need replaced.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Also all the plastic/rubber bits in the engine bay/interior/suspension will fall apart every 5 years and exterior things like the wiper tray and sunroof slider etc too if it's an outside car baking in the sun all day.

I bet that 9 year old M3 with only 25k miles will have bits falling apart soon if not already.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I've said it before, but it bears saying again; the E46 M3 does not have the same cooling system problems as the normal E46. All of the common points of failure from the normal E46 are completely different parts in the M3; better radiator, conventional, non-electronic thermostat, vastly superior water pump and a different expansion tank.

There are lots of other failure points, though. Also, it seems anecdotal evidence indicates that the S54 isn't exactly prone to a long life; it seems as though 150-180k miles is all you're going to get before a rebuild is needed.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MrChips posted:

There are lots of other failure points, though. Also, it seems anecdotal evidence indicates that the S54 isn't exactly prone to a long life; it seems as though 150-180k miles is all you're going to get before a rebuild is needed.

That is a good point. I kinda find that a little shocking really as the rest of the BMW engine crowd are notorious for lasting well over 250k with no major issues.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

MrChips posted:

I've said it before, but it bears saying again; the E46 M3 does not have the same cooling system problems as the normal E46. All of the common points of failure from the normal E46 are completely different parts in the M3; better radiator, conventional, non-electronic thermostat, vastly superior water pump and a different expansion tank.
This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask...can you install the M cooling system bits into the non-M cars? Google finds a guy who fit a radiator with some modification needed, but the rest of the bits I don't know. I'm guessing no, because if it was possible it seems like it would be a popular conversion.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That is a good point. I kinda find that a little shocking really as the rest of the BMW engine crowd are notorious for lasting well over 250k with no major issues.

Yeah but you're comparing it to what, a s52? Remember, that isn't a "real M" motor, just a gussied up USDM M50/52.

The S54 is leaps and bounds more high-strung and delicate than those engines. Plus since we didn't get the ROW S50 we don't get all the reports of that engine's reliability. Ditto with the S14 as its such a niche market, people who buy those cars know what they're in for and don't bitch and moan when they have to rebuild every ~80-120k.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The S38 is notoriously expensive to rebuild as well, which makes sense as it is the father of the S14. The S50US/S52 is kind of nice - it's still a good motor and makes e36 m3s ideal track cars. All the local guys I've talked to have tracked their M3s for years without any major problems.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask...can you install the M cooling system bits into the non-M cars? Google finds a guy who fit a radiator with some modification needed, but the rest of the bits I don't know. I'm guessing no, because if it was possible it seems like it would be a popular conversion.

The radiator, yes you could probably fit to a non-M car. Everything else, however would be much more trouble than it's worth. The M3 expansion tank would need you to fit the M3's intake; the water pump is more of an issue of whether or ot it would fit (my guess is it won't), but the thermostat is the deal breaker, as the ECU in the non-M cars would throw a fit looking for the electronic thermostat that isn't there (or at very least, you'd be stuck driving around in open-loop permanently, which is also a bad thing), to say nothing of fitment issues.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
To be honest I would worry more about some of the ancillary problems: bushings, control arms, cooling systems, chassis tearing at subframe mounts.

Motors really aren't that expensive to swap for how rarely they rarely suffer catastrophic failure.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
To my utter horror this morning, I pulled to far onto a curb stop and managed to rip my bumper off the front of my E46, breaking the clips and making me feel like a complete loving idiot. Aside from looking at a junkyard, any good recommendations for bumpbers near SoCal?

Ugh I feel so loving stupid. I'm gearing up to do a bunch of (slightly) deferred maintenance and I REALLY did not need this right now. :smith:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Noggin Monkey posted:

To my utter horror this morning, I pulled to far onto a curb stop and managed to rip my bumper off the front of my E46, breaking the clips and making me feel like a complete loving idiot. Aside from looking at a junkyard, any good recommendations for bumpbers near SoCal?

Ugh I feel so loving stupid. I'm gearing up to do a bunch of (slightly) deferred maintenance and I REALLY did not need this right now. :smith:

Use this unfortunate event to upgrade your bumper's appearance a bit. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Noggin Monkey posted:

I did something similar a while ago on my E46 and I took it to a good body shop and they were able to fix and reattach everything for like $200. It actually ended up coming in lower than their initial estimate of ~$250-275. I know they had to replace at least one or two clips in the process. It wasn't really something I wanted to mess with DIY and just wanted it fixed perfectly the first time - and it was.

In other news, I'm using some of the $250 I saved on repairing my DISA (rather than replacing the unit) to finally replace the blower motor that chirps at certain speeds. Found out that the blower motor from an E83 X3 is the same part as the E46, but only costs $120 rather than $500+. Huzzah. Looks like a little bit of a PITA to remove and replace, but from looking through several DIY pictorials it looks pretty doable.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 15, 2013