Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

pixaal posted:

Is the 3DS-XL screen easy to register touches on?

I have a post discount 3DS that I got awhile ago and the screen is much harder to "press" then an android device the same is true for my DSi. I noticed the wiiU screen is actually pretty easy to press.

You should look into the difference between capacitive and resistive touch screens because they are, in fact, two totally different types of technology. Your android screen is capacitive. The 3DS is resistive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Can anybody recommend a good carrying case for (3)DS carts? I've got a few now and while I don't want to carry all the cases around with me, I also don't want them rattling around inside of one and potentially spilling out when I open the case. I'd prefer a slim, efficient form factor if possible.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Caitlin posted:

You should look into the difference between capacitive and resistive touch screens because they are, in fact, two totally different types of technology. Your android screen is capacitive. The 3DS is resistive.

I am aware that they are different tech, but the DS seemed to be easy to push. Maybe its because I had never used an android before. Its also odd that the wiiU seems much easier. My 3DS's bottom screen also seems to be above the screen itself while the wiiU has a similar stylus (one you would use on resistive not capacitive) maybe my 3DS is defective and the screen is slightly higher then it should be. You can see it warp slightly when pressed. There is no such issue with the wiiU and it feels like a solid screen.

e:

Pope Guilty posted:

Can anybody recommend a good carrying case for (3)DS carts? I've got a few now and while I don't want to carry all the cases around with me, I also don't want them rattling around inside of one and potentially spilling out when I open the case. I'd prefer a slim, efficient form factor if possible.

Club.Nintendo has had some before, they don't have any for 3DS carts right now sadly. But if you have a ton of coins you can wait for one to come in stock again.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 13, 2013

aton
Jul 23, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I reused my old game boy cartridge cases. Fits three 3DS carts. I like being able to carry them in my pocket. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002DL8SJE

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

A shot in the dark, but try changing the SD card for a few days, preferably with a good quality one, and see how that goes.

Think this might be what was wrong. Not sure yet but it's lasting longer than usual and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning isn't lagging like it was before.

EDIT: Nevermind, still hosed up.

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 14, 2013

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Pokemon page has an announcement saying they've got an announcement for Pikachu fans tomorrow. Speculation is they're going to announce a Pikachu XL.

https://www.facebook.com/Pokemon

Well, I've been holding out for an SE one. I wasn't planning on getting Mystery Dungeon but if that's what I have to do then so be it!

e: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523572 Gaf thread for added reference.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I have a question about transferring data between flash cards, is there anything more to it than just copy and pasting the file into a new flash card or do I have to use some process or app to move saves and games to a new card? Basically, I have no idea how to do this and I'll be very upset if I lose all of my data can someone please help me?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
This isn't very related, but it grinds my gears. When looking for the Nintendo Direct for Febuary to look at some of the old news, the Nintendo Direct Archives only shows November and before, and whenever I try to look for a hub, it redirects me to the Flipnote Direct :argh:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Vince Videogames posted:

I have a question about transferring data between flash cards, is there anything more to it than just copy and pasting the file into a new flash card or do I have to use some process or app to move saves and games to a new card? Basically, I have no idea how to do this and I'll be very upset if I lose all of my data can someone please help me?

Make a temp folder on your desktop; copy the contents of the card there. Put the new card in, copy all the files onto that one instead.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
How long do codes for digital downloads from Club Nintendo last? I was hoping to grab the Kid Icarus thing before the offer was gone, but I won't actually be able to redeem it on my 3DS until the beginning of May. Will the code expire by then, or should I just grab it and save the e-mail for later?

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 14, 2013

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Make a temp folder on your desktop; copy the contents of the card there. Put the new card in, copy all the files onto that one instead.

Thank you! Sorry, but data management on the 3ds makes me nervous.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Shoopuf posted:

How long do codes for digital downloads from Club Nintendo last? I was hoping to grab the Kid Icarus thing before the offer was gone, but I won't actually be able to redeem it on my 3DS until the beginning of May. Will the code expire by then, or should I just grab it and save the e-mail for later?

Everything I've heard says that they last forever.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Yes! Was holding out on getting an XL for a while, Pikachu XL is fine by me. Assuming it'll come bundled with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, bit bothersome since I like to have physical copies/collect Pokemon games but it's a minor issue. Can't wait.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do we have any idea when the Pikachu XL would actually come out? I want to upgrade, and I need some time to actually acquire funds.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

jivjov posted:

Do we have any idea when the Pikachu XL would actually come out? I want to upgrade, and I need some time to actually acquire funds.

Probably the day Mystery Dungeon is released, so the 24th.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
March 24, same day as Luigi's Mansion/Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Is it to much to ask to just get a all black XL in the states? I don't care much for the two tone ones, and that pikachu one isn't for me either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL-land is getting an all-black XL on the same day as Monster Hunter, both as a standalone and as part of a MH bundle. No idea why NA's not getting it at the same time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL-land is getting an all-black XL on the same day as Monster Hunter, both as a standalone and as part of a MH bundle. No idea why NA's not getting it at the same time.

Yeah, I'd be all over one if it wasn't for the awesomeness that is region blocking!

Does Monster Hunter sell better in EU than it does in the states? Can't figure out why we are getting the cold shoulder for these bundles. Come to think of it we didn't get the XL Fire Emblem bundle either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Not really. As far as I can tell there are two broad reasons: one, NOE basically just looks at what Japan did and then does the same a few months later, and two, NOE ends up directly promoting pretty much every noteworthy third-party game because it's the only way to keep third-party publishers on-side.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

katkillad2 posted:

Probably the day Mystery Dungeon is released, so the 24th.

Welp, so much for that then.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So, uh. How does the patent system work in the US, exactly?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4100924/nintendo-guilty-of-patent-infringement-3ds-technology

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Patents can be a process or item and people in the early days of computing started to patent things like "Displaying video on a screen from optical media" and "transmitting messages over radio signal" and so on. Lots of these patents are owned by holding companies who never do anything with them and just wait for someone else to come out with a device remotely similar to one of their patents and sue. In this case, the guy met with Nintendo and they released something similar. He believed they violated his patent and he won in a district court. It can still be appealed in a higher court, so this is still ongoing. These patents can be invalidated through court battles but most of the times bigger companies will just settle out of court because the license is cheaper.

Here's the actual patent. http://www.google.com/patents?id=ngetAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false . Seeing as it was a jury trial, some random person looking at the pictures would think it is the same thing, even though his patent involves tracking the viewer with a camera or sensor.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Norns posted:

Come to think of it we didn't get the XL Fire Emblem bundle either.
That was a regular 3DS, not an XL.

vvv Oh OK, I wasn't aware that existed. The regular one still looks better though, so not a huge loss.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 14, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joramun posted:

That was a regular 3DS, not an XL.
Only in America. In the EU, it's a special-edition XL.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Aren't they getting white as a standalone permanent colour, instead of the limited edition it has been up until now, as well?

Sucks that Australia doesn't seem to be doing the same given that NAL is so happy to copy NOE for most other things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't remember if Europe is getting the white XL as a standalone or not, it all becomes a blur after a while.

As for AU/NZ, I know we're definitely getting the black MH XL bundle but I don't think we're getting the black XL as a standalone, and I don't think we're getting the Fire Emblem XL bundle either. No idea what's going on with the Circle Pad Pro.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I checked the EU site before, and it's in their list of standard colours, so they probably are.

I still think we'll probably get the Fire Emblem bundle, as we haven't missed any other EU bundle from memory. Although I don't think we got the Pikachu LE one in the end, so we could just as easily not get it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

As for AU/NZ, I know we're definitely getting the black MH XL bundle but I don't think we're getting the black XL as a standalone, and I don't think we're getting the Fire Emblem XL bundle either. No idea what's going on with the Circle Pad Pro.

For the Circle Pad Pro, you can preorder one from ozgameshop.com and they're sending them out by the 22nd.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

jivjov posted:

Welp, so much for that then.

They're not going to fly off the shelves in seconds. You'll be able to pick one up a month or two after.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey residents of the US of A, there's a clearance sale in this goHastings store. They have Shinobi for $6. Worth a look if you are after a bargain that also happens to be a really neat game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkX2bbGnRw

This is the sort of game people who like to go for higher scores and speedruns are into, but I'd say if you grew up in the 16 bit era you'll likely enjoy it, as well.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 14, 2013

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Pikachu 3DS XL for fellow Amerigoons confirmed surprising few after yesterday.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/news_pikachu_3ds-2013-03-14/

quote:

Show off your love of Pokémon with the new Pikachu Nintendo 3DS XL handheld system! This system features the outline of the famed Pokémon Pikachu, and it comes packaged with a 4GB SD memory card. The Pikachu Nintendo 3DS XL will be available on March 24th—the same day that you can start playing the Nintendo 3DS-exclusive adventure Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity!

The Pikachu Nintendo 3DS XL will be available in North America at participating Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, and GameStop stores for a suggested retail price of $199.99. Quantities are limited, so look for it starting on March 24th!

"Go buy the game you thought would come bundled with it! Muahahaha!" I was actually expecting it to cost a bit more. Works for me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Am I the only one who thinks that looks hideous?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I hate to ruin that image for anyone else, but man they should have just had Pikachu's head on it because those camera dots are in a weird place.

EDIT: vvv Oh thank loving god it's not just me

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pureauthor posted:

I think the placement on those cameras is really unfortunate.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think it's the best thing ever but I do really like it. Best thing ever goes to Charizard 3DS XL but I don't see them bringing that over. and when they do I'll be pissed/sad.

I have a question about 3DS data transfers though. Does your step count/Play Coins carry over as well?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Upside down Pikanipples.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/395842/jury-finds-nintendo-guilty-of-3ds-patent-infringement/

quote:

Nintendo has been ordered to pay $30.2 million in damages to a man who patented the glasses-free 3D technology used in the 3DS.

30 Mil is quite a sum, Nintendo could take this on the chin and carry on, still quite a blow to them though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

They can and will appeal that sentence, the jury (why do you have jury trials for patent law suits again?) misinterpreted (or outright didn't understand) the original patent. If you look at it, it tracks the viewers position and changes the image based on that, which the 3DS doesn't do. That aside, even a $30M payment isn't that big a deal for a company such as Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That outcome makes even less sense when, if there would be a patent infringed, it would have been from Sharp, the company that licensed the 3D display, and not Nintendo.

• Locked thread