Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Doublepost because I finally did something I said I would, all about Western Electrification.

Now, this is an essay from my university (and I probably rushed it because I'm lazy and did it last minute) and I am terrible at writing in academic English, so excuse me that.

Here we go: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9VcZMsqA9NdUGhXYXpyaWp4UTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Bozza posted:

I just verified a plan which closes all the Victorian boxes on that line. Modular signalling is going to be the death knell of that style box sadly :(

:( I like the old signal boxes. In mainland europe you see them everywhere just falling apart and looking miserable since they centralised all the signalling.

That, and I like the idea of infrastructure grinding to a halt while I take a poo poo.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
'embark' is old marine terminology, though I wonder if it was also needless jargon back then.

"deplane" is an abomination and saying it should be grounds for a one-way trip to the gulag :colbert:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Cerv posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-21410006

Never forget just how old our rail infrastructure is, and why continuing investment is very loving important.

Haha that is simply amazing. The railway infrastructure in the country grinding to a halt because one man got stuck in a toilet. Britain!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Zephro posted:

'embark' is old marine terminology, though I wonder if it was also needless jargon back then.

"deplane" is an abomination and saying it should be grounds for a one-way trip to the gulag :colbert:

John Humphrys has a massive problem with trains terminating at platforms, fearing that they will cease to exist. Personally, I dislike being called a customer when I'm actually a passenger. One of these days, doctors and hospitals are going to have customers too. Gorbless the English language, may she rest in peace :britain:

For content, some of those old mechanical signal boxes still communicate with the adjacent box using coded bell rings. 2 rings for "train in section", 4 rings for "help I'm being attacked" etc.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

6-6 is call the Old Bill :) loving love bell codes, they do them on trains too which is why you here a 1-2 code on trains occasionally to indicate 'Right Away'

The customer vs pasenger thing is directly aligned to the introduction of the national conditions of carriage aka post privatisation.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Bozza posted:

The customer vs pasenger thing is directly aligned to the introduction of the national conditions of carriage aka post privatisation.

They do call passengers customers on London Underground too and they're still government run. It's infuriating.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I work at a university and we call the students customers sometimes.

Kill me.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

I work at a university and we call the students customers sometimes.

Kill me.

If you don't run the Union shop it may have to be a murder-suicide.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
As long as we're not using 'consumer' yet, there is still hope.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just call everyone Citizen. Or Comrade!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Just call everyone Citizen. Or Comrade!

So doing this.

I work as a multimedia developer, I make videos for the uni, including filming lectures etc.

But, you know, since we're charging everyone 9 grand and everyone is all "whatever the students want, the students get" it changes the way the top brass think.

Anyway, trains. Yes.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

They do call passengers customers on London Underground too and they're still government run. It's infuriating.
Did that come in before, during or after the complete disaster of the Metronet/Tubelines PFI do you know?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Bozza posted:

6-6 is call the Old Bill :) loving love bell codes, they do them on trains too which is why you here a 1-2 code on trains occasionally to indicate 'Right Away'

1-2 is "close the doors" on trains where the guard doesn't have local door controls. It's 2 that is right away. God.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I've always heard the little buzzer noise on the trains just before you set off and wondered what they were :)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

thehustler posted:

I've always heard the little buzzer noise on the trains just before you set off and wondered what they were :)

All of them are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_code

3-3 means you're probably going over a defective crossing or a red light or something and the driver wants the guard in the front, and 9 means call the rozzers. Now you can get stressed about things you didn't even know were happening before!

Incidentally, if you mysteriously stop, hear the horn sound and then proceed slowly, it probably means you're going past a signal at danger too.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jonnty posted:

Now you can get stressed about things you didn't even know were happening before!

If (authorised) SPADs freak you out then given the state of signalling in this country you're going to be freaked out a lot :D

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

If (authorised) SPADs freak you out then given the state of signalling in this country you're going to be freaked out a lot :D

I was more meaning the police one but yeah, authorised SPADs are pretty safe.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
My god you'd make the worst action hero ever. "You can't ring 1! That signal's at danger!" "I'm ringing 9...for danger!"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Wootcannon posted:

My god you'd make the worst action hero ever. "You can't ring 1! That signal's at danger!" "I'm ringing 9...for danger!"

I do wonder if "9" is code for "just press it repeatedly until the crowbar-wielding man catches up with you."

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Jonnty posted:

1-2 is "close the doors" on trains where the guard doesn't have local door controls. It's 2 that is right away. God.

Look Sonny Jim, in your Scotch trains the guards might not be able to do that, but there is no such nonsense on the Western. We run a proper railway down here.

Good stuff as always from Jonnty, a cool dude who knows his trains

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
So in the more remote signal boxes, on little used lines, things can get quite boring.
One signaller I know was gluing the periscope onto an airfix submarine when the regional head of signalling popped in for a surprise visit.
There's another story of a signaller who used to take visits from prostitutes...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Endjinneer posted:

So in the more remote signal boxes, on little used lines, things can get quite boring.
One signaller I know was gluing the periscope onto an airfix submarine when the regional head of signalling popped in for a surprise visit.
There's another story of a signaller who used to take visits from prostitutes...

A/T thread please.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Endjinneer posted:

Guy I work with claims he got Form 1'd for having 'relations' with a lady over the lever frame. May be the same guy haha.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've heard all kinds of weird and wonderful stories from signallers. Like the game where they have to knock one out before a train travels between two points

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I assume Form 1 is effectively getting your P45?

I was on a train once when the staff at the cafe were talking to each other about how the train just "passed at danger" and it scared the willies out of me as I assumed this was a terribly dangerous thing. I assume now that this was passing with permission.

Edit: What's a PMB?

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 14, 2013

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Noreaus posted:

I was on a train once when the staff at the cafe were talking to each other about how the train just "passed at danger" and it scared the willies out of me as I assumed this was a terribly dangerous thing. I assume now that this was passing with permission.

PNB I'm guessing, personal needs break (a polite way of saying you want a piss and a cup of tea)

British Rail Form 1 is a legendary form of near mythical status, it simply says at the top "Please Explain". It was the first stage of a formal disciplinary proceeding.

Signal Passed at Danger or SPAD is when a train goes past a red signal when it's not supposed too. Danger is the technical term for a signal at red :)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Noreaus posted:

If it wasn't with permission, there'd be a big delay while the driver was relieved - drivers who have SPADed are considered unfit to drive.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bozza posted:

Danger is the technical term for a signal at red :)

When I read this, Ringo Starr's voice popped up in my head and said 'but the signal was at DANGER!' :3:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

The Independent are kicking off about salaries and privatisation being horseshit http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/anger-over-1m-pay-deals-for-rail-bosses-as-fares-keep-going-up-8498776.html

The Independent posted:

Anger over £1m pay deals for rail bosses as fares keep going up
By KEVIN RAWLINSON
Monday 18 February 2013

Rail bosses are being handed pay packets worth as much as £1.4m while commuters are being hit with rising ticket prices, according to figures published yesterday.
Information obtained under the Freedom of Information Act showed that eight executives on the East Coast line, where services are being run by the public sector, were revealed to be on £100,000 or more, with the highest paid on a salary of between £161,000 and £180,000.
Two other East Coast directors are being paid between £121,000 and £140,000 and five more between £100,000 and £120,000 a year. The revelations are likely to cause anger among commuters, who were hit with above-inflation price hikes less than two months ago.
And executives at Go-Ahead, FirstGroup and Network Rail were getting deals worth more than £1m when assorted bonuses and other benefits were taken into account.
Meanwhile, a passenger satisfaction survey published today by consumer magazine Which? shows that more than half of the companies running Britain’s train network were given scores of less than 50 per cent. The research showed that only 22 per cent of train users felt the service they received was improving, despite rising ticket prices.
Figures from other operators showed more six-figure salaries being doled out in boardrooms across the industry. The 10 directors at CrossCountry, which runs services mainly in the West Midlands, were paid £795,000 in total in 2011 with the highest paid taking home £222,000 including pension contributions.
It was revealed last month that ScotRail boss Stephen Montgomery received a £54,000 pay rise, taking his salary up to £333,000 in 2012.
The company is owned by FirstGroup, where chief executive Tim O’Toole was paid £846,000 last year, plus a £134,000 pension contribution and £75,000 as benefits in kind. Accounts showed that, in the year ending March 2012, FirstGroup made an operating profit of £110.5m on its UK rail business.
Network Rail, which is currently fighting to meet targets on punctuality, paid its chief executive Sir David Higgins an annual basic salary of £560,000, while finance director Patrick Butcher was on £382,000. Two other executives, Robin Gisby and Simon Kirby, were paid salaries of £360,000.
National Express chief executive, Dean Finch, is paid a salary of £550,000 in a deal which was worth more than £1.4m in 2011 with bonuses and other benefits. National Express group finance director, Jez Maiden, is on £420,000 a year and his deal was worth more than £1m with additional benefits. Chairman John Devaney, who is about to stand down, was on £225,000.
Accounts also showed that Go-Ahead chief executive David Brown’s salary was £510,000 but his deal was worth £900,000 after a bonus was added, with finance director Keith Down on £326,000.
Manuel Cortes, leader of the TSSA rail union, said: “One of the reasons we have the highest rail fares in Europe is because we have created an army of Fat Controllers since John Major sold off British Rail 20 years ago.”
None of the train companies responded to requests for comment.

Fast track: The fat controllers
Tim O’Toole
The FirstGroup chief executive’s remuneration package was worth more than £1m last year. The American executive left a lucrative job with London Underground – where he earned the CBE for his response to the London 7/7 bombings – to join FirstGroup.
Sir David Higgins
The Network Rail boss waived his right to a bonus of up to £340,000 under ministerial pressure in 2012. Justine Greening, then Transport Secretary, criticised plans to allow him as much as 60 per cent of his £560,000 salary.
Dean Finch
National Express’s Group Chief Operating Executive was reportedly allowed a bonus of up to 150 per cent of his £550,000 pay to stay at the firm after being approached by other groups.
David Brown
The Go-Ahead chief, who is paid £510,000, has spoken recently of the challenging politics inherent in an industry receiving public funding.
Jez Maiden
The Finance Director at National Express, who has previously served in the same role at Northern Foods, British Vita and Britannia Building Society, is paid a salary of £420,000.
Some of it is slightly dishonest journalism (conflating the heads of whole transport companies with just the rail divisions) but I agree with the sentiment.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Anyone else watch The Railway tonight? I thought it was much better than last week's episode. That manager in King's Cross with the cheap suit seemed so fake whereas this week everyone was genuine and had interesting stories. I didn't realise flooding got that bad in Yorkshire though :o

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Yep, the train driver was hilarious, although through work I do a lot driving in rural areas and I have had similar conversations about pheasants with a colleague.
I did feel sorry for the poor staff on the ale train runs though, I didn't think it got that bad...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lady Gaza posted:

Anyone else watch The Railway tonight? I thought it was much better than last week's episode. That manager in King's Cross with the cheap suit seemed so fake whereas this week everyone was genuine and had interesting stories. I didn't realise flooding got that bad in Yorkshire though :o

I assume this is a British show of some kind? Any information on it? Googling brings up a painting and some Thomas the Tank Engine stuff.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I assume this is a British show of some kind? Any information on it? Googling brings up a painting and some Thomas the Tank Engine stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qqzb6/The_Railway_Keeping_Britain_on_Track_Kings_Cross/

Won't be available outside the UK but this is it. It's really rather good.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Today I think is an apt time to tell some things I know about overhead line electrification.
Overhead line electrification began in earnest in the late 1950's with the West Coast Main Line. The wires run at 25,000 volts and are suspended from a mast at the side of the track, or a portal which bridges across the railway and usually carries the wires for several tracks.
Typically, two wires run: the contact which the train pantograph brushes against, and the catenary, which keeps the contact wire nice and flat. Droppers hang the contact wire off the catenary at intervals between each mast. Contact wires are copper and about as thick as your finger. The contact wire actually zigzags left to right as you go along the track so it doesn't wear a groove into the train pantograph, though obviously both parts wear out occasionally and need replacing.
Wires are run in sections are about 1.5km long, at each end they overlap with the next section and then head diagonally off the track to an anchor structure.
As well as the catenary keeping the contact wire nice and level, the wires are pulled tight. On a typical contact/catenary pair, the load is about 2.5 tonnes. This can be applied when the wires are put up (fixed tension equipment) or by hanging weights from the wire at each anchor structure (auto tension equipment). Fixed tension can be problematic because the copper changes length with temperature; the tension in fixed tension equipment is not fixed.

All the bits you need to build an overhead line system in the UK, from a threaded bar to an eight track portal with five anchorages and a side cantilever are described in a massive catalogue of parts. There are about 10,000 entries, all of which can be described by their reference number, like argos.

The first generation of equipment developed is the venerable Mk 1 series. This was developed in the early days of electrification and is used on the West Coast Main Line and typically has masts about every 30-50m.
What is important in this picture is that each track's contact and catenary are separately supported from the portals. This is called independent registration.

Fastforward now to the eighties. The East Coast Main Line is to be electrified, but the Department for Transport wants it done cheaply. The Mk 3 series of equipment is developed which increases mast spacing to about 60m. Fewer structures means less cost. Another cost saving measure is to replace the portals with headspans wherever possible. Instead of bridging the track with a steel beam, an arrangement of wires is used as the picture shows.

While this setup does satisfy the requirement of being a lot cheaper, it introduces a few problems.
First, the stiffness of the whole arrangement is much lower. In high winds the trains have to run slower because the wires bounce about too much.
Second, you can't push the pantograph against the wire as hard, which limits train top speed. Practically though, plenty of other things stop you from going fast enough that this is a problem and so really it is of minor importance.
Third, when something does go wrong, like in this video, the pantograph tends to rip down not just the contact and catenary directly above it but the headspans and all the wires they support too.
Say this happens just South of St Neots on a Tuesday evening. The high speed train in question takes a kilometre to stop (which is actually not very far at all), ripping out headspans and four tracks' overhead wires in a glorious sparky tangle.
That disruption is only expected for 36 hours is quite amazing.
Had there been money to spend on portals with independent registration, back in the 80's, perhaps only one track would have been closed by the accident,
tl;dr pay more taxes, don't vote tory

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

^^^ a good post

Underground railway = best railway;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWg2AZgsV90

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM
What I don't understand is why so many Glasgow suburban commuter lines aren't electrified, but then I remembered: Tories.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Iohannes posted:

What I don't understand is why so many Glasgow suburban commuter lines aren't electrified, but then I remembered: Tories.

In fairness the really high-traffic ones are, subway, the east-west ones and the Cathcart Circle (with Newton and Neilston extensions).

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Speaking of electrification, the first headspans are up in Reading EMU depot and the cantilever/portal structures elsewhere are starting to appear locally. Great Western electrification starts here!

In other news, I have been promoted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Bozza posted:

Speaking of electrification, the first headspans are up in Reading EMU depot and the cantilever/portal structures elsewhere are starting to appear locally. Great Western electrification starts here!

In other news, I have been promoted!

Has there been a round of promotions or are you the only one? Just because a friend of mine who works for network rail also just got promoted ARE YOU HIM?

• Locked thread