Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funbar
Jan 1, 2008
Here's a region I've been working on forever. I like how it's faring, so I'd just like to share my experience with it so far. Using the last SC4 thread's Gigapack:

The city and mayor names are a little silly, but a little narrative can go a long way to liven up Simcity and keep you playing. It`s 4x4 large tiles.

My method was to start a new map by zoning out big, expensive farms everywhere so as to generate the simoleons needed for costly infrastructure. Like so:

I do this early because :spergin:REALISM:spergin: and once you have a dense enough population, your agriculture demand will cease to exist so you're stuck if you want new farms.

After the farms are set up, I let sims in. Here's the first place in the region where that happened:

Since there's a healthy bottom line from the farms, not to mention the nice low-wealth demand they bring, things really snowball from here and I can do as I please:

Shniznozz is my first skyscraper city and it has no industry zones apart from agriculture:

The mayor appreciates your cheers and accolades, but if you really loved him you'd KILL HE-MAN!

Between scenic Wrestlevania and the concrete jungles of Ooo lies The Forbidden Zone:

The crop yields are in rough shape by the time they make it to the grocers but that's okay. Frugal sims can always find good deals in the 'gently used' produce section.

In Bonerland (pronounced BonerLUHnd), a scientist can live large in a swank tower and walk to work at one of the hundreds of testing bays in the egg-head district:

The seaports in City Name can barely keep up with all the shipments. (I don't like to mess with the coastal props- they're too fiddly):

Sims are surprisingly content in the vast urban sprawl of Ooo, but then they have a lot of stock-beaches and a few landmarks to keep them amused:

I like how everything is coming along but I'm just not sure about what to do with the north-east area of the region.

funbar fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

BigRed0427 posted:

2: Are there non torrent versions of them or the mega packs?

I'd also be interested in this, my school doesn't allow torrents to work through their network, but I'd like to mess around with the cooler stuff.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

benzine posted:

For the smoother hills use a slope mode, I use Ennedi's http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1512

Edit: FB!!

You can also use iLive's Reader to modify those slope mods, mainly by changing the "MaxSlopeAlongNetwork" attribute. It's how one guy managed to get an amazingly realistic slope for his railroad.

Swordmaster from SC4Devotion posted:

From my experiments, I've learned this:

MaxSlopeAlongNetwork Grade
0.2865 0.50%
0.5730 1.00%
0.8595 1.50%
1.1460 2.00%

And for anyone wondering how he got these values:

woodb3kmaster from SC4Devotion posted:

If I may say so, there's actually no need to experiment to find the right values for MaxSlopeAlongNetwork - all you need is a bit of trigonometry. Since we know that the value of MaxSlopeAlongNetwork is in degrees, and grade is just the tangent of the angle of the network, all we have to do to find the right value for a given desired grade is take the arctangent of that grade.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=802.920

Going by the above values, I managed to modify an existing slope mod to better make flatter and more realistic roadways and rail.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So...I installed the old fashioned pack and the Fhuzo region, but every time I try to make a city, the game crashes. Any ideas? I noticed that someone else had trouble with the region, but he didn't have the old fashioned pack.

EDIT: Oh my, I seem to have posted hastily. I'm simply crashing every time I try to start a new city, regardless of region. It's a fresh install on W7 x64 with the single CPU flag set.

Double EDIT: Removing the old fashioned pack removes the crash. Perhaps there's a potential conflict inside it?

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 14, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

So...I installed the old fashioned pack and the Fhuzo region, but every time I try to make a city, the game crashes. Any ideas? I noticed that someone else had trouble with the region, but he didn't have the old fashioned pack.

EDIT: Oh my, I seem to have posted hastily. I'm simply crashing every time I try to start a new city, regardless of region. It's a fresh install on W7 x64 with the single CPU flag set.

Double EDIT: Removing the old fashioned pack removes the crash. Perhaps there's a potential conflict inside it?

The HD terrain texture pack in the Old Fashioned Pack requires hardware rendering, are you using it?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

The HD terrain texture pack in the Old Fashioned Pack requires hardware rendering, are you using it?

I am now. I feel silly, I even knew I had to be using the hardware renderer...

Ah well. Thanks. Sometimes it's something just that simple.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I followed the directions in the OP, but every time I try to start the game it says it's failed to initialize the video driver. It was fine before I started messing with the command line options.

This is my start string:

"C:\Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r2560x1440x32 -f -CPUcount:1 -CPUpriority:high -intro:off

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gangringo posted:

I followed the directions in the OP, but every time I try to start the game it says it's failed to initialize the video driver. It was fine before I started messing with the command line options.

This is my start string:

"C:\Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r2560x1440x32 -f -CPUcount:1 -CPUpriority:high -intro:off

Try taking off the custom resolution option, it's given me some grief in the past.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Apparently my monitor is just too awesome for this game, I tried taking the resolution line out like you said, then I tried it again at 1080p and it worked.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Does anybody know what would keep a city at 0 pop? I did some terraforming in a region to get a nice elevated plains for my city, but for some reason nobody seems to be moving in. I tried to make a city in the region next to it, thinking maybe people would fill that one up and then move next door, but that city won't grow at all either. What am I doing wrong here?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just look at that demand is all negative.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Ninth Layer posted:

Does anybody know what would keep a city at 0 pop? I did some terraforming in a region to get a nice elevated plains for my city, but for some reason nobody seems to be moving in. I tried to make a city in the region next to it, thinking maybe people would fill that one up and then move next door, but that city won't grow at all either. What am I doing wrong here?

You haven't zoned anywhere for people to actually work.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Breetai posted:

You haven't zoned anywhere for people to actually work.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Huh. Can you tell us what the expanded RCI graph looks like? Is there any demand difference between the different $ levels, or are they all rock bottom?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They're all flat at the bottom.

I'm thinking I may just try another region. I can build cities elsewhere but apparently not anywhere on this one island in the corner of the map.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Nothing like poverty as far as eye can see to every direction from your penthouse suite. Your city is a great inspiration to me.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'd also be interested in this, my school doesn't allow torrents to work through their network, but I'd like to mess around with the cooler stuff.

I think I got a Rapidgator account for another month or so. If someone wants me to plop a modpack there then sure, just tell me which one. I don't know how their download speeds are without a membership though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think Pelham is coming along well despite basically being a complete fiasco of city planning.

The random trailers in the middle of Pelham's downtown are really what makes it.

Its suburbs are coming along quite nicely, eating into the preexisting farmland, and may eventually spread out into a new map. There are just so many tiny little houses.

Death awaits you.

e: I just realized I have missed an opportunity to have four roundabouts around a larger roundabout. I need to fix this.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 14, 2013

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I fired it up with the custom region and the old fashioned pack and...

...It ran like total poo poo, taking upwards of five to ten seconds every time I tried to scroll the screen inside my new city to finish rendering the trees. :negative:

Time to try GrandFromage's pack! If it works on Software mode, it works for my janky intel graphics chip, and that works for me.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Giggily posted:

Death awaits you.

e: I just realized I have missed an opportunity to have four roundabouts around a larger roundabout. I need to fix this.

Time to recreate this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon). :getin:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dice Dingus posted:

Woah woah woah woah back the gently caress up

WHAT is that DOME?

Is... Is than an arcology? :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHOv0HmQ7TQ

There's a link to that dome and some other stuff in the description of this youtube video. There are actually many more really great Japanese mods out there by the way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That's a nightmare for me, driving into an unfamiliar city in Europe and finding myself confused and stuck on some indescribable gordian knot of roads while an angry British driver yells "gently caress off wanker" at me.

e: woops didn't mean to double post

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

That's a nightmare for me, driving into an unfamiliar city in Europe and finding myself confused and stuck on some indescribable gordian knot of roads while an angry British driver yells "gently caress off wanker" at me.

e: woops didn't mean to double post

Then you get all depressed and panic because of the wanker shouts and start driving right because oh god someone help me

Seriously, just look at that fucker. It's like a towering inferno of seething hatred, wanting to feast on the souls of everyone who isn't aware it's coming up.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I can't get Old Fashioned's pack to stop crashing when loading any region. I basically just want to play in that pretty looking Fhuzo region with just the bare essentials except I can't figure out what those are. From previous posts I know it has something to do with trees(?) but trying only the terrain folder (without terrainmods and zzz_terrain with crash the game) I can get into the regions on Fhuzo but proceed to crash when I try to do any building.

Daysvala posted:

I meant to post this days ago, but if anyone is having issues with the Fhuzo region, for example a Crash-to-Desktop directly after attempting to place a bridge or zone an area, and specifically if you aren't seeing any trees when you load a city tile, it's because you are missing the Pacific Northwest Tree mod or one of it's dependencies. The Old Fashioned Pack does contain this mod, but not in a form that makes it easy to extract just those files.

So for everyone who wants to use that region but is experiencing crashes, you absolutely must have this mod to use the Fhuzo region. Probably worth mentioning in the OP.

Also note that the region was rendered using Lowkee's Terrain mods, if you want your cities to look the same way they look in the region view.

For the two people who were asking why Fhuzo wouldn't work for them, or want to play Fhuzo with just the bare essentials, here is your answer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dice Dingus posted:

I fired it up with the custom region and the old fashioned pack and...

...It ran like total poo poo, taking upwards of five to ten seconds every time I tried to scroll the screen inside my new city to finish rendering the trees. :negative:

Time to try GrandFromage's pack! If it works on Software mode, it works for my janky intel graphics chip, and that works for me.

Pull the HD terrainmods out of the oldfashionedpack and run it in software, it'll probably work full speed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fewd posted:

Then you get all depressed and panic because of the wanker shouts and start driving right because oh god someone help me

Seriously, just look at that fucker. It's like a towering inferno of seething hatred, wanting to feast on the souls of everyone who isn't aware it's coming up.

I can kind of see what they were going for, they wanted a two-way roundabout, but imagine you're some wheel-clinging pensioner and suddenly this thing comes up. I'm also guessing it looks rather ugly.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Swindon's Magic Roundabout is a national treasure! :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

I can kind of see what they were going for, they wanted a two-way roundabout, but imagine you're some wheel-clinging pensioner and suddenly this thing comes up. I'm also guessing it looks rather ugly.

It's been done in a couple of other places too. It works better when it's clear that it's not one big multi-roundabout-superroundabout, it's just five little roundabouts on a ring road, which is more obvious on some of the other ones where it's more spaced out. Swindon's just too compressed.

Then again some yanks I've spoken to can barely handle one roundabout. You're missing out over there, guys.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 14, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Then again some yanks I've spoken to can barely handle one roundabout. You're missing out over there, guys.

Yeah people here are incapable of handling any kind of intersection that isn't a T or an X. Those mega roundabouts are loving awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not even the mega roundabouts; just that things are way easier when every minor-street-but-not-back-street intersection is roundabouted.

Plus they usually have pretty flowers and stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My country does it that way, I vastly prefer roundabouts in most situations because it's easy to turn around if you've taken a wrong turn.

But then they make insane variations like this:

I regularly have to navigate one of these fuckers, they really feel quite dangerous because if you're in the central lane, sometimes you have to cross other lanes to take a right turn, but in most cars it's quite difficult to see if any other cars are coming from that angle. Fortunately mine is slightly less convoluted than this one, but it's still weird as hell when you first encounter one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fewd posted:

KillHour, I wanna try that Alanuk map but it needs this terrain mod. If I recall correctly, your pack already had graphics things in it. Is it going to break everything if I drop that terrain mod in there? :ohdear:

I don't think so. Give it a shot - worst case, you just have to remove it (or go searching for the conflict).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

My country does it that way, I vastly prefer roundabouts in most situations because it's easy to turn around if you've taken a wrong turn.

But then they make insane variations like this:

I regularly have to navigate one of these fuckers, they really feel quite dangerous because if you're in the central lane, sometimes you have to cross other lanes to take a right turn, but in most cars it's quite difficult to see if any other cars are coming from that angle. Fortunately mine is slightly less convoluted than this one, but it's still weird as hell when you first encounter one.

That's not even a roundabout, that's just a bunch of exit lanes lanes that cross each other. :raise:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I like roundabouts as much as the next guy but what kind of carless left-wing green sadist you gotta have as traffic engineer to cram five of them in the space of one.

KillHour posted:

I don't think so. Give it a shot - worst case, you just have to remove it (or go searching for the conflict).

I already moved on, now I got a boner for islands :haw:

Most of the really cool ones are in the SC4M format though and I'm still looking into making regions of them that don't look like poo poo. Did couple yesterday with SC4Mapper before going to bed but they ended up looking pretty funky with some colors messed up.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Come on over to the Traffic Engineering Thread if you want to go into roundabouts and such.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Does anyone have a working mirror for latest SC4Terraformer? Sc4devotion seems to be down due to bandwidth caps and I can only find mirrors to 1.0, while 1.1 is the latest I think.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what needs to be done to get the nice, plug-in'd Fhuzo map from the OP working with Grand Fromage's pack? It seems to crash whenever it prompts me to reconcile edges upon loading or should I try to skip it, whenever I build a neighbor connection (I'm sure other things would cause it too, but I was a little too disheartened to try.)

vvvv Go figure I'd post asking without searching the whole thread first. :( Seems like the simtropolis is broken right now so I can't get the Pacific Northwest Tree mod. Thanks! vvv

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 14, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

TehKeen posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what needs to be done to get the nice, plug-in'd Fhuzo map from the OP working with Grand Fromage's pack? It seems to crash whenever it prompts me to reconcile edges upon loading or should I try to skip it, whenever I build a neighbor connection (I'm sure other things would cause it too, but I was a little too disheartened to try.)

There was a non-plugin version of that map posted earlier in this thread, use that. You'll have to plant trees yourself but otherwise pretty much the same.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I edited this in, So I don't think anyone saw it.

quote:

There's a really good recent Industrial mod that came out recently. It makes industrial ares more like sprawling warehouses and cargo areas instead of the same factory everywhere. It also more control over what industry grows, medium density only lets I-D and lower end I-M grow, while high density only allows HT and higher end I-M grow. It's called the Industrial Revolution Mod

Here's a package of all the bug fixing mods, so you don't have to use the slow stex! http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?921ycy0yd1dgega Just read to readmes for each one to see what it does and extract the dat files to your plugins folder.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 14, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

MikeJF posted:

Pull the HD terrainmods out of the oldfashionedpack and run it in software, it'll probably work full speed.

It's running pretty badly for me too... but uh... which ones are the HD terrainmods? Do I just delete the entire "terrain stuff" folder or is it only certain stuff inside that?

edit: because not everyone is actually using the pack so what I said is not at all clear :downs:
the folder looks like this.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think it's just the 'terrainmods' folder. Punch can confirm, though.

This may not do anything, but in my entirely anecdotal experience it can cause a lot of slowdown.

• Locked thread