Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know, I don't often notice individual tracks of music from DW games, they all kind of run together in my head, but just Wang Yi's is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStcfKl8EbU

Also she is bitter as gently caress in one of the Wu alternate stages, where she is up against all the Wu wives. She says to Liangshi something like "I hate that look on your face, it's the look of someone who still thinks she can protect the people she loves".

Too bad that track never shows up in DW8. At least it has My Bad Fellow from DW4. :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Marshall D. Teach (Blackbeard) is playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know, I don't often notice individual tracks of music from DW games, they all kind of run together in my head, but just Wang Yi's is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStcfKl8EbU

Also she is bitter as gently caress in one of the Wu alternate stages, where she is up against all the Wu wives. She says to Liangshi something like "I hate that look on your face, it's the look of someone who still thinks she can protect the people she loves".

I actually like Guo Jia's track from XL more. All three of the character songs from 7XL are really good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Hy321ioqU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
DW8 is ridiculously low on things you can spend money on. I've maxed out my supply, at 999,999 gold. I don't think I've ever maxed out money in a game before, other than Zelda of course.

edit: I noticed something else interesting in the gallery. I can listen to everyone's lines, and everyone has generic lines where they congratulate the player character who ever that is, and they all have an "up" and "down" version for social relations, keeping in mind Japanese's honorific speech. That makes me wonder, how are all the characters encoded? I wonder if any of them are unexpected, that someone talks up to someone younger, or a man talks up to a woman, or something like that?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 13, 2013

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

tooooooo bad posted:

Too bad that track never shows up in DW8. At least it has My Bad Fellow from DW4. :frogc00l:

Holy poo poo, yes. The best track.

I still have the fondest memory of DW4, just because every single time this song came up in a stage (and it was always impeccably timed), i got so ridiculously pumped that the experience is seared into my memory.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

DW8 is ridiculously low on things you can spend money on. I've maxed out my supply, at 999,999 gold. I don't think I've ever maxed out money in a game before, other than Zelda of course.

It's ridiculous. I maxed out my money after completing one story mode and have been sitting on it ever since. I guess the best use for it is buying levels in Shosei Mode but I haven't actually played that mode enough to unlock that option yet. :(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Marshall D. Teach (Blackbeard) is playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

They should just announce that everyone who ever has appeared in One Piece who did a special attack will appear in Pirate Warriors 2 and save themselves some paper all while making people go bananas. However, that said, if Pandaman isn't in the game then no sale. :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

It's ridiculous. I maxed out my money after completing one story mode and have been sitting on it ever since. I guess the best use for it is buying levels in Shosei Mode but I haven't actually played that mode enough to unlock that option yet. :(
You can just buy levels?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can just buy levels?

Orochi 3 style yeah. I mean, that's what I've read. Be nice considering that you have to get a character to level 50 to unlock their weapon skill and you don't pick up nearly as much exp in Shosei mode.

So hey, some advice for everyone if/when DW8 comes out in English: don't put off Commander Mode or whatever they end up calling it until after you finish the story. Mix it in because it eventually provides decent sinks for money and a use for the massive numbers of weapons you'll be picking up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh wow, I guess as soon as I unlock that then I'll immediately be able to spend all my money and have everyone at level 50, unless levels are just massively expensive.

Also, the farm that is in that mode makes money automatically, but I don't know how much it eventually makes when fully upgraded.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

This game really looks strictly for fans. It seems so primitive, sterile and flat. Like they recycled the engine for the first DW:G and devoted the most attention to textures and effect sprites.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I, completely unashamedly, want a Pirate Warriors game to come out whenever the manga ends that is basically Pirate Warriors Empire, where you create a crew and become Pirate King by taking over the most islands and stuff, probably taking place in just the New World.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

KittyEmpress posted:

I, completely unashamedly, want a Pirate Warriors game to come out whenever the manga ends that is basically Pirate Warriors Empire, where you create a crew and become Pirate King by taking over the most islands and stuff, probably taking place in just the New World.

I briefly imagined a Pirates of the Caribbean Warriors doing the same thing and I would love for either of these to happen.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there anywhere that I can get ROTK or Nobunaga's Ambition without having to resort to importing and translator guides?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Apparently DW7 is in "discontinued" status according to GameStop since I got the last New copy they had before work. I guess that makes sense if a localized DW8 is on the horizon.

I will be pursuing Lu Bu tonight.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Well Romance Of The Three Kingdoms XI is on PC and in English, if you're talking about the games. You can get the demo here, but I'm not sure who would sell it anymore.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there anywhere that I can get ROTK or Nobunaga's Ambition without having to resort to importing and translator guides?

I just bought RoTK XI from Gamersgate.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

tooooooo bad posted:

I just bought RoTK XI from Gamersgate.

Okay I tried to buy it, but it's not letting me download the game :(

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

In further "DW8 IS OBVIOUSLY HAPPENING" news,

Justin Giddings was Ma Dai in DW7. Additionally Erin Fitzgerald, Cai Wenji's English VA, was in some stream chat for Skullgirls and

Just announce it Koei.

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay I tried to buy it, but it's not letting me download the game :(

That's weird. By "just bought" I mean like "yesterday", and I didn't have any trouble downloading and installing it. Is it not in your library on the left side of the page?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anyone know of a place where I can read a good Dynasty Warriors retrospective by chance? I'd like to get a through rundown of the series including how it's evolved and where it took missteps. I've only played 2 and 3 briefly back in the PS2 days. It seems like 3 is universally loved while 6 is universally hated.

Anyone got a quick run-down of the series to share to a semi-noob?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Most of 3's love is ironic love because of the translation.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Re: 3 -- just have this Destructoid video. To this day apparently no one has found the English voice credits for 3, and the voice actors only started being identified with 4.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

2 will have a special place for being the first I've played and being amazed at the scope of it. 4 is when things got really awesome. But for me, I think 3 has one of the best soundtracks of the Dynasty Warrior games. Though I can pick out a whole bunch of my favorite tracks from 2-4.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Am I correct when assuming one should not start out on Hard or Chaos difficulty when first playing DW7? The difference between Normal and Hard is a bit ridiculous; enemies drop like flies in Normal in addition to Officers having tiny health bars, but on Hard, Officers have a life bar 5x bigger and have no problem just obliterating you. Even Hard in DW3 didn't seem this difficult.

I guess I'll start on Normal and hope for the best.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The GIG posted:

I briefly imagined a Pirates of the Caribbean Warriors doing the same thing and I would love for either of these to happen.

This game existed. It was one of those low budget 360 games that was released in Japan in the same line as Earth Defense Force and the bikini zombie games.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SirPhoebos posted:

You should be able to pick up used copies in various places (I know Amazon had some), and at least one Nobunaga's Ambition game is on the PSN.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Charles Martel posted:

Am I correct when assuming one should not start out on Hard or Chaos difficulty when first playing DW7?
Yes. Since levels are persistent between playthroughs, higher difficulties should not be attempted until you've significantly levelled up your characters.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Charles Martel posted:

Am I correct when assuming one should not start out on Hard or Chaos difficulty when first playing DW7? The difference between Normal and Hard is a bit ridiculous; enemies drop like flies in Normal in addition to Officers having tiny health bars, but on Hard, Officers have a life bar 5x bigger and have no problem just obliterating you. Even Hard in DW3 didn't seem this difficult.

I guess I'll start on Normal and hope for the best.

To be fair, I find Normal on DW3 to be harder than most modern games' normal mode. DW7 Hard is completely doable with a fresh character though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

KittyEmpress posted:

It would be the best game to be released for the Playstation 12.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm so glad story Co-Op is back for 8. I've been playing DW with the same friend since 3 and we were gutted when we learned 7 didn't have story coop. It went right back to gamefly.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

kissekatt posted:

Yes. Since levels are persistent between playthroughs, higher difficulties should not be attempted until you've significantly levelled up your characters.

Belzac posted:

To be fair, I find Normal on DW3 to be harder than most modern games' normal mode. DW7 Hard is completely doable with a fresh character though.

Thanks for the replies. Will probably try Normal tonight as I went to bed after my previous post.

On Hard, the two commanders in the first stage of the Wei campaign seem to read my mind on what I'm going I do next even when mixing up my attacks. I went through the tutorial and know all of the different movements, but it doesn't seem to help too much.

It adds insult to injury when Xiahou Dun, who is pretty much an all-around badass, gets dominated by the very first officer in the game that manages to take down my health bar in a dozen hits.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

Thanks for the replies. Will probably try Normal tonight as I went to bed after my previous post.

On Hard, the two commanders in the first stage of the Wei campaign seem to read my mind on what I'm going I do next even when mixing up my attacks. I went through the tutorial and know all of the different movements, but it doesn't seem to help too much.

It adds insult to injury when Xiahou Dun, who is pretty much an all-around badass, gets dominated by the very first officer in the game that manages to take down my health bar in a dozen hits.

Make sure you know which attacks guard break. For every weapon the first charge (Without pressing square, just on it's own) is almost always a break, and the Sword's charge after the second regular swing will break guard. Playing on Higher difficulties is almost always about breaking guard and then going to town before they can get it back up.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

Make sure you know which attacks guard break. For every weapon the first charge (Without pressing square, just on it's own) is almost always a break, and the Sword's charge after the second regular swing will break guard. Playing on Higher difficulties is almost always about breaking guard and then going to town before they can get it back up.

Also never leaving yourself open to attack. If you're hitting guards and for whatever reason can't guard break, just stop your attack. If you go all the way through the last normal attack or failed charge will just leave you open. Also using a 3 star weapon to cancel your attack and get away will save your life. If you're getting hit and can't get away, musou to get out of the chain and do some damage back. Keep your combo up, if the opponent never gets back up they can't do anything to you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am three territories away from winning the Yellow Turban Rebellion era for Sun Jian. After I'm done with this, I am never playing an officer again. Holy crap Sun Jian why won't you just invade these last three territories???:qq:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Thanks again for the help guys. I'll try to pay more attention to my attack combos.

Since I'm bored at work, I've been reading about the backstory of Romance of the Three Kingdoms since I can't find the DW7 encyclopedia anywhere online, and found out about the show Three Kingdoms that started airing in China in 2010. It's pretty good so far sans the cheesy intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHnX4xsplo

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I am three territories away from winning the Yellow Turban Rebellion era for Sun Jian. After I'm done with this, I am never playing an officer again. Holy crap Sun Jian why won't you just invade these last three territories???:qq:

Dude just knows that he's overdue for the ritual "Sun Leader Gets Riddled Full of Arrows Like a Chump".

EDIT: Now that I think about it has Quan gotten his arrow-to-the-back allergy checked? I know Ce and Jian get it in story and SSX got it in DW8's intro scene (and survived). It'll be hilarious if Quan was the only one that hasn't gotten shot in the back at all.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 15, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
At worst it's a Zhang Liao to the back. :haw:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

It's pretty good so far sans the cheesy intro.

Aw man, I love that intro and it's ridiculously dramatic song.

Sometimes I sing along.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

Dude just knows that he's overdue for the ritual "Sun Leader Gets Riddled Full of Arrows Like a Chump".

EDIT: Now that I think about it has Quan gotten his arrow-to-the-back allergy checked? I know Ce and Jian get it in story and SSX got it in DW8's intro scene (and survived). It'll be hilarious if Quan was the only one that hasn't gotten shot in the back at all.

He brought his arrow protector to work. Are you a Sun? Always bring Zhou Tai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

He brought his arrow protector to work. Are you a Sun? Always bring Zhou Tai.
Or Taishi Ci.