Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thoom posted:

That's not Google's problem. Google Voice fits the bill for a service Google has mostly ignored since inception and can't possibly be making money on. I'd be surprised to see it last another two years.

They must be making something. It's $20 to port your number over and I believe $3 to port it away. Enough people have moved over to prepaid just for the Nexus 4 that Straight Talk and Net10 both ran out of AT&T microSIM cards.

Sure, it's not a ton, but I'd bet they're still making enough to keep it going since you can still make free calls in Gmail for a few countries (I believe Canada and the US).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

An odd sentiment for a company that greatly favors US customers.

Doesn't matter what you call it or where it comes from, it's still money.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

loving Google.

First Adblockers, now Google Reader? I use that poo poo on a regular basis!

I only want a text based RSS reader, not a full blown one with pictures and all that junk. What are my options?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

They must be making something. It's $20 to port your number over and I believe $3 to port it away. Enough people have moved over to prepaid just for the Nexus 4 that Straight Talk and Net10 both ran out of AT&T microSIM cards.

Sure, it's not a ton, but I'd bet they're still making enough to keep it going since you can still make free calls in Gmail for a few countries (I believe Canada and the US).

They might make money on long distance calling as well. When my voip/ATA adapter hosed up, my wife put some money into google voice as a temporary replacement.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So uh, has GoodNews said anything yet?

Is PocketCasts now the best alternative, if I was used to the convenience of Goodnews, mostly because it allowed me to add feeds from a computer instead of navigating on a phone?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

theradiostillsucks posted:

Pulse is the better of the two. Flipboard's main appeal is aesthetic. It looks nice, but it also takes longer to load and will randomly insert ads into your feeds. It's basically for people who want pretty things rather than people who actually want to read things. Pulse would be a lot better imo if they'd just let you cram all of your sources onto one page instead of limiting you to 10 sources per page, then having to make another page for the rest.

Honestly prettiness is underrated - good design and typography can make a huge difference, and I like the flipping page format (otherwise I seem to keep scrolling when I get halfway down a page). But yeah, I like Currents's's take on swiping better than Flipboard, which I admit I haven't tried in a while. Some 'editions' have ads though unfortunately. And it has the worst back button behaviour ever.

Cheers, I'll give Pulse a try when I remember

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

baka kaba posted:

Honestly prettiness is underrated - good design and typography can make a huge difference, and I like the flipping page format (otherwise I seem to keep scrolling when I get halfway down a page).

I won't argue that point. All else being roughly equal, I'll usually opt for the more visually pleasing option, I just felt like Flipboard is more gimmicky than other apps that do the same thing more or less, and do it better given that you're often looking at and trying to read articles. It may be better in tablet format, where the flipping is horizontal (I think?) and more sensible. If you're not going with an app that is tied to Google Reader, I'd give Pulse the slight Edge is all I'm saying.

Design is something a lot of Android app developers could use a few lessons in. Besides the more mature ecosystem and an established and fervent userbase, I'd argue that design (and having a single, consistent hardware manufacturer) is what makes iOS so appealing for so many.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Atomicated posted:

How is feedly? Does it sync between using it on the web and using the mobile apps? I'm trying to sign up for it but the site seems to be down currently.

I like it quite a bit. The mobile version does indeed sync with the browser.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

theradiostillsucks posted:

I won't argue that point. All else being roughly equal, I'll usually opt for the more visually pleasing option, I just felt like Flipboard is more gimmicky than other apps that do the same thing more or less, and do it better given that you're often looking at and trying to read articles. It may be better in tablet format, where the flipping is horizontal (I think?) and more sensible. If you're not going with an app that is tied to Google Reader, I'd give Pulse the slight Edge is all I'm saying.

Design is something a lot of Android app developers could use a few lessons in. Besides the more mature ecosystem and an established and fervent userbase, I'd argue that design (and having a single, consistent hardware manufacturer) is what makes iOS so appealing for so many.

Oh I was saying I thought Currents did it it better with the infinite scroll article summaries and turning pages with a horizontal swipe. Flipboard looked cool but it felt gimmicky, and not enough content on each page either. I'll definitely try pulse though

And hell yes, unskippable ads in the YouTube app now. This new guy is planning on a reign of terror

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Is there a QR Reader that can read multiple codes and put them in the same text box? Essentially, I want to be reading several QR codes and want them all to be put on a single .txt (or something) file automatically.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Hey Google Reader mourners, have you tried Pulse? The full site is also a full featured news aggregator, and it's got neat organization.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AppleCobbler posted:

Hey Google Reader mourners, have you tried Pulse? The full site is also a full featured news aggregator, and it's got neat organization.

The Pulse android app is great, but the website puts ads inbetween actual stories :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AppleCobbler posted:

I tried Pulse a while ago, but I really like a list organization, like others have mentioned. I like using GoodNews on my phone and FeedDemon on my computer, but since they both sync with Google Reader, it seems I might be boned. I'm currently checking out Netvibes, but I don't think it has a mobile version. I looked at Feedly, but it seemed like I could only see one article at a time, and it didn't play nicely with Sharing Machine comics (Married to the Sea, Natalie Dee, Toothpaste for Dinner) - it would load most of the page, but then say that it couldn't connect to the server.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Pulse android app is great, but the website puts ads inbetween actual stories :(

So does the app. It's a shame too. It's my only gripe about Pulse.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I figure there's not a whole lot of point in freaking out and finding a new solution just yet. Our existing readers (Press in my case) will continue working for another 3 months and change, and by then there might be a new thing that they all support (e.g. the hypothetical public Feedly API or theoldreader.com or whatever).

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

FlyingCheese posted:

So does the app. It's a shame too. It's my only gripe about Pulse.

They've got to make money somehow, guys. There's a little icon in the top right of the article/ad that indicates it's an advertisement so you can avoid it.

Also, you can change the layout to a list, I believe. Look at the view modes on the top right of the page.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Thoom posted:

I figure there's not a whole lot of point in freaking out and finding a new solution just yet. Our existing readers (Press in my case) will continue working for another 3 months and change, and by then there might be a new thing that they all support (e.g. the hypothetical public Feedly API or theoldreader.com or whatever).

Could we see a Kickstarter or something pop up? Crossed my mind when I saw Matt Haughey, founder of MetaFilter, post this on twitter.

"I think RSS is so important that I'd take a job (leaving MeFi) at any startup aiming to make an improved Google Reader (w/ social features). I'm serious, and feel free to email me. MetaFilter can continue with the employees running things. "

Not him particularly, but I am sure there are many bigger people in the tech industry that feel this way.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

AppleCobbler posted:

A website that uses js to condense middle-click, right-click, and left-click all into the same action, which prevents me from opening a story in a new tab and/or using any other features of my web browser? AWESOME.

how does gui

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is there any way to make feedly (the android app, specifically) change a feed's category? This whole reader thing is starting to tick me right off.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I don't use Google Reader and even I think this is ridiculous.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there an app that lets me record times quickly? Like, I press a button and it logs a timestamp in a list. Ideally I'd want multiple lists too.

For example, I wear contacts and I would like to be able to log when I change them.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I don't have a suggestion for your app, but I use a calendar event for letting me know to change my lenses, just set it to repeat every 2 weeks or 30 days or whatever you need.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is there any way to make feedly (the android app, specifically) change a feed's category? This whole reader thing is starting to tick me right off.

Not short of deleting it and adding it back in the intended category, I believe. Just edit in Google Reader for now, I'm certain an update is coming soon to fix that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I use Pulse, but I use it with Reader (don't actually have a Pulse login.) This has always worked out best for me because I can have reader open in a little window at work to keep up with news with no bloat at all, but then I can use Pulse on my phone or tablet the rest of the time.

This is pretty much going to completely change the way I use the internet now.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Is there an app that lets me record times quickly? Like, I press a button and it logs a timestamp in a list. Ideally I'd want multiple lists too.

For example, I wear contacts and I would like to be able to log when I change them.

I use Regularly for that. It also reminds you to do a specific task after a certain interval, and when you mark it done it logs it.

z06ck posted:

On adaways site, they're saying to just install it via F-Droid.

Hey, F-Droid is pretty cool.

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 14, 2013

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

GrandpaPants posted:

So uh, has GoodNews said anything yet?

Is PocketCasts now the best alternative, if I was used to the convenience of Goodnews, mostly because it allowed me to add feeds from a computer instead of navigating on a phone?

I recommend Beyondpod over pocketcasts, as it's just generally nicer for my usage. I own both, but didn't like the look of the recently updated pocketcasts when I loaded it up the other day.

For adding new podcast feeds from a computer, I have FoxtoPhone/ChrometoPhone extensions installed in Firefox & Chrome, and I can just right click on a link or page to send it to my phone. My phone will offer to open it in Beyondpod or Pocketcasts.

For actual management you need to use your phone though.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

In regards to all of this Google Reader stuff. I don't specifically use the app, but all my RSS feeds are linked to my Google account (Flipboard, Currents, Pulse, Good News, gReader, etc..). Does the loss of Google Reader mean that I loose the option of linking them to my Google account? Or just the app itself?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wooger posted:

I recommend Beyondpod over pocketcasts, as it's just generally nicer for my usage. I own both, but didn't like the look of the recently updated pocketcasts when I loaded it up the other day.

For adding new podcast feeds from a computer, I have FoxtoPhone/ChrometoPhone extensions installed in Firefox & Chrome, and I can just right click on a link or page to send it to my phone. My phone will offer to open it in Beyondpod or Pocketcasts.

For actual management you need to use your phone though.

I've used them both, and I've been using Pocketcasts since it was updated, and I find Pocketcast is much easier to use for actually playing podcasts, but BeyondPod's subscription handling is a little better. That said, I'm using Pocketcasts now because I like the way it looks.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
I just realized this last week that PocketCasts now has playback speed adjustment without needing a 3rd party app. Pretty cool.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Killing google reader is the absolute most retarded thing I've ever seen Google do, and I've been a google user since as far back as I can remember.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Boywunda posted:

In regards to all of this Google Reader stuff. I don't specifically use the app, but all my RSS feeds are linked to my Google account (Flipboard, Currents, Pulse, Good News, gReader, etc..). Does the loss of Google Reader mean that I loose the option of linking them to my Google account? Or just the app itself?

You will lose it.

They are killing Reader which includes the reader API which is what those apps are using to pull from.

I suppose going all in with Pulse (instead of just linking pulse to my reader feed) is the closest thing to it. The big thing that bothers me though is I want a simple list view with no graphics on the desktop so I can quickly scan through headlines and mass mark read things I don't feel like looking at.

I may look at Feedly now though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Feedly is writing their own API for apps to switch over too. It's supposed to be exactly like the Google Reader API, so once they launch it, I assume apps that pull from Google can just make a few changes and use that.

I'm mad because I just discovered Google Reader and moved all my internet browsing habits over to it...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Feedly is writing their own API for apps to switch over too. It's supposed to be exactly like the Google Reader API, so once they launch it, I assume apps that pull from Google can just make a few changes and use that.

I'm mad because I just discovered Google Reader and moved all my internet browsing habits over to it...

Yeah, it's good that feedly is doing that, but I remain skeptical that other apps are going to jump on to that api and not try to make a power grab to pull all their users in house.

Also, the biggest thing about this for me is losing the web portion of reader. I just like to have it open in a little window while I'm working so I can glace through the feeds when I get a chance and there's really no minimalist replacement that I can find. Feedly in list view comes close, but "read/unread" hiding seems to be really janky and not quite working properly.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Big ones like Freely and Reeder will probably try to roll their own AIP's.

Goodnews hasn't been updated since October.

I'll probably be forced to use Pocket Casts or my old Zune because it offers syncing.

Anyone use gpodder?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://www.change.org/petitions/google-keep-google-reader-running

LOL. Someone has started a petition on change.org to keep reader.
I hope it works.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Odette posted:

loving Google.

First Adblockers, now Google Reader? I use that poo poo on a regular basis!

I only want a text based RSS reader, not a full blown one with pictures and all that junk. What are my options?

If you just want one on the phone, not cloud-synced, try sparse RSS.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Officially made the switch to Feedly. I actually really enjoy it as a reader so far (20 minute sample size).
When I get home, I hope their Tablet interface is good.

I have Pulse, Flipboard, Currents, but so far, I seem to like Feedly better. According to an article I read, the switch from Google to Feedly will be seamless for me. I'll just keep an eye out for others, as new ones will no doubt appear shortly. Nothing wrong with options.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boywunda posted:

Officially made the switch to Feedly. I actually really enjoy it as a reader so far (20 minute sample size).
When I get home, I hope their Tablet interface is good.

I have Pulse, Flipboard, Currents, but so far, I seem to like Feedly better. According to an article I read, the switch from Google to Feedly will be seamless for me. I'll just keep an eye out for others, as new ones will no doubt appear shortly. Nothing wrong with options.

Were you able to find a way to view your feeds in a list view (preferably filterable by feed)? The lack of that was why I only tried feedly for about 5 minutes yesterday.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

hooah posted:

Were you able to find a way to view your feeds in a list view (preferably filterable by feed)? The lack of that was why I only tried feedly for about 5 minutes yesterday.

Yes, click on the green icon in the top left corner, choose "Uncategorized" view and all the feeds with their count numbers appear. Click on the feed you want, then a new settings icon appears, to which you can choose "Mark All as Read", which is a feature I wish all Readers have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MikeJF posted:

If you just want one on the phone, not cloud-synced, try sparse RSS.

Thanks! That'll do for now. :)

• Locked thread