Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You must visit Hot Doug's. If not for you, then for me. I...I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ShadyNasty posted:

Got that meal coming up tomorrow. I'm cooking at my girl's place and I'd like to prep a few things here earlier on in the day to make the process smoother over there. Cooking the sauce/glaze is the main time-waster so ideally I'd like to do that before.

It's the one from this recipe: maple syrup, whiskey and orange zest/juice. Do you think if I make this in advance, let it cool and bring it in a small container, that it'll go back to normal with a little heat? It's not going to do anything weird when I warm it a second time, right?

There's no emulsion or anything that's gonna break down with that sauce so that should probably work. I'd be careful to use only just enough heat to bring it to whatever consistency / temp you want though as a lot of the flavors in the sauce are pretty volatile and if you brought it up to a boil or anything they would cook off.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Yeah, I'll probably warm it in a water bath or something as I'm doing other stuff. Just enough to bring it back.

I'll make it early tomorrow and maybe give one little batch a test run - if it doesn't work then I'll just resign myself to doing it there.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

warheadr posted:

There's doesn't seem to be a Chicago dining thread, so I'll ask here unless someone thinks a standalone one should be made.

I'm going to Chicago for a long weekend getaway next month. I've never been before and hear great things. My girlfriend and I are pretty much just playing tourist but are looking for some good spots to eat. We only have a few days and are hoping to get in one really nice meal. Right now I have reservations at Spiaggia, which I read a lot about everywhere but for all I know that just means it's overhyped and overpriced so I'm hoping someone has some input. Beyond that any recommendations for breakfast, lunch or dinner would be most appreciated. One dinner can break the bank but I'm hoping the rest can be more reasonable and accessible while out and about seeing the sights. All I have to go on now are the standard online resources like Yelp, which for a city that size and having never been is a bit daunting sorting through the clutter and what's actually good and not.

Go to Alinea or Next for your bankbreaking dinner.

Alternatively go to Aviary and smash the manhattan egg.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Thanks for the bread answers, ya'll. :) I made a weird thing with it for dinner and it'll be in the appropriate thread.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

I've been using a Dutch oven along those lines as well

You do the 2nd rise and the baking in the dutch oven? Any changes you have to make for cooking temp / time?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I have been tasked to make lasagna for easter this year, and have family with gluten sensitivities (read: not celiac). The thought occurred to me to try to make the lasagna gluten free. Besides the bechamel sauce (which arguably can be left out/approximated some other way) and pasta, I can make all of the ingredients gluten free.

For pasta, I was thinking about using multiple sheets of rice paper roll (the clear ones that need to be hydrated), but my main concern is that they will fall apart into mush when I actually cook them in the lasagna. Does anyone have any experience doing any long-term wet cooking with rice-based sheet products, or any possible ideas?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

For pasta, I was thinking about using multiple sheets of rice paper roll (the clear ones that need to be hydrated), but my main concern is that they will fall apart into mush when I actually cook them in the lasagna. Does anyone have any experience doing any long-term wet cooking with rice-based sheet products, or any possible ideas?

That's going to get way too slimy, use sheets of zucchini/sweet potato instead.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Or just cut out the middleman and make Moussaka!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That's going to get way too slimy, use sheets of zucchini/sweet potato instead.

My fear exactly, but the zucchini is a brilliant alternative. Noted.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

warheadr posted:

I'm going to Chicago for a long weekend getaway next month.

Beyond that any recommendations for breakfast...
A few years ago I would have told you to eat breakfast at Orange on Clark St. They have a ricotta apple french toast that I recall being really wonderful (edit: it is called Chai Tea French Toast, thus the bowl) as well as a weekly "pancake flight" with I _also_ used to find both tasty and high-novelty. If I seem reluctant it's because my tastes have changed since college, but failing anything else I think you'd find something really enjoyable there. Their potatoes, omelettes, grilled sausage, all very good. I wouldn't go for the "frushi" or the coffee as I think they're ludicrously overpriced (and I will pay exorbitantly for coffee), but they have a large fruit bar and great juice suggestions. Lots of neat counter-culture stores on that block to check out while you're waiting.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 13, 2013

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

Go to Alinea or Next for your bankbreaking dinner.

Alternatively go to Aviary and smash the manhattan egg.

Alinea is one of the restaurants I've been saying one day I'll go to no matter what as one of those meals I just have to do at some point. However I was under the impression that just a few weeks away from my trip there's no possible way I'd score a table? Especially with the new ticketing system they use? Maybe I need to look into this further, if I can get in that's absolutely where I want to go...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

warheadr posted:

Alinea is one of the restaurants I've been saying one day I'll go to no matter what as one of those meals I just have to do at some point. However I was under the impression that just a few weeks away from my trip there's no possible way I'd score a table? Especially with the new ticketing system they use? Maybe I need to look into this further, if I can get in that's absolutely where I want to go...

You might be able to grab a last minute cancellation since they have a harder time filling those. When appl went to aviary they offered him a table at next which he had to decline because he had not yet consumed all the cocktails.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

warheadr posted:

There's doesn't seem to be a Chicago dining thread, so I'll ask here unless someone thinks a standalone one should be made.

I'm going to Chicago for a long weekend getaway next month. I've never been before and hear great things. My girlfriend and I are pretty much just playing tourist but are looking for some good spots to eat. We only have a few days and are hoping to get in one really nice meal. Right now I have reservations at Spiaggia, which I read a lot about everywhere but for all I know that just means it's overhyped and overpriced so I'm hoping someone has some input. Beyond that any recommendations for breakfast, lunch or dinner would be most appreciated. One dinner can break the bank but I'm hoping the rest can be more reasonable and accessible while out and about seeing the sights. All I have to go on now are the standard online resources like Yelp, which for a city that size and having never been is a bit daunting sorting through the clutter and what's actually good and not.

Post in the Chicago Thread if you haven't already: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032498

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Follow Alinea and Next on Twitter. They tweet about tables opening up day of/day before.

For one of your not break the bank meals go to Sun Wah BBQ and get the roasted duck dinner. It will be way too much food for two people but it's like ~$30. Call ahead. http://sunwahbbq.com/

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

You might be able to grab a last minute cancellation since they have a harder time filling those. When appl went to aviary they offered him a table at next which he had to decline because he had not yet consumed all the cocktails.

It was more because I had consumed most of the cocktails, and was too drunk and full to eat 10 courses. One day I will go and eat food there though!

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
Just wanted to say thanks to Casu Marzu. His mixture was a lot better then the usual mixture I get from supermarkets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Breaky posted:

You do the 2nd rise and the baking in the dutch oven? Any changes you have to make for cooking temp / time?

Naw, just baking. I preheat the Dutch oven to 500, plop in the dough, cover and bake 30 mins at 500, 15 mins at 450

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I have been tasked to make lasagna for easter this year, and have family with gluten sensitivities (read: not celiac). The thought occurred to me to try to make the lasagna gluten free. Besides the bechamel sauce (which arguably can be left out/approximated some other way) and pasta, I can make all of the ingredients gluten free.

Thinly slice eggplant and roast it for 10 minutes or so to remove sliminess. Or use corn tortillas. Those things are magic.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

dino. posted:

Thinly slice eggplant and roast it for 10 minutes or so to remove sliminess. Or use corn tortillas. Those things are magic.

Eggplant is another good option, maybe both to make it interesting. I know that eggplant is relatively neutral tasting so it might be the better choice in this case. It might hold up a little better and be more pasta-like when its sliced. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Tunnel vision in pasta-land.

oh, and unrelated: The eggplant roasting method you shared with me months ago has proven to be instrumental in my family's weight loss, so thank you dino. :tipshat:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Naw, just baking. I preheat the Dutch oven to 500, plop in the dough, cover and bake 30 mins at 500, 15 mins at 450

I must be messing up somewhere. If I moved my dough much on a second rise it would just deflate

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

oh, and unrelated: The eggplant roasting method you shared with me months ago has proven to be instrumental in my family's weight loss, so thank you dino. :tipshat:

Can you repost this? I'm thinking about roasting eggplant for a big Italian dinner Saturday.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Breaky posted:

I must be messing up somewhere. If I moved my dough much on a second rise it would just deflate
Mine loses a little volume too but it gets it back during the bake. If you'd like, post your recipe in the bread thread for troubleshooting

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Eggplant is another good option, maybe both to make it interesting. I know that eggplant is relatively neutral tasting so it might be the better choice in this case. It might hold up a little better and be more pasta-like when its sliced. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Tunnel vision in pasta-land.

The only reason I mention it is because I've made it before a bunch of times. There's a recipe on this Italian site: http://prontointavola.tgcom24.it/lasagne-alle-melanzane/ The recipe calls for fresh pasta, so I tried it by just skipping the pasta all together, and just using the eggplant. It worked out great. The recipe calls for you to fry the eggplant slices, but I just roasted them in an oven. It worked out just fine. I've made it more times than I can count, because our restaurant caters to gluten free folk on the regular basis. Cool part about the sliced eggplant? Is that it actually /sticks together/ as if it were pasta. It's freaking awesome.

Also, if it's the summer, you can even grill or smoke the eggplant slices to give it even more flavour. It's so tasty that I tend to make my lasagne this way when I get good eggplant at the market.

Also, I have no idea which eggplant roasting technique, but I'm intrigued at how it managed to help your family lose weight!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Now that I have a baby in the house, I don't really have time to cook when I get home.

There are dozens of sites selling recipes/plans for cooking a week a head of time, but is there a free one or a paid one that would be recommended?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Tai-Pan posted:

Now that I have a baby in the house, I don't really have time to cook when I get home.

There are dozens of sites selling recipes/plans for cooking a week a head of time, but is there a free one or a paid one that would be recommended?

A free one would be a pad of paper/Evernote and some googling. There are a lot of people in similar situations in here and it gets asked frequently.

One thing you can do is cook planning to use leftovers in something else. For instance, a roast chicken can be eaten alone, then leftovers can be used in soups, salads, with pasta, sandwiches, etc, then the carcass can go into stock which can make risotto, soups, sauces, etc.

Another thing you can do is learn to stir fry. It takes like 10 min to prep the food and cook it. In general, building up a list of quick, low effort, easy to prepare meals will help fill in the gaps a lot. I have a lazy thing I love to eat and it's stupid easy. Angry lady sauce, sesame paste, black vinegar, and soy sauce mixed with spaghetti and topped wiht scallions and maybe leftover shredded chicken or something. Not the most glamorous thing, but it takes, like 15 minutes to make and I usually have everything I need to make it stocked.

Learning which foods freeze and can well can help a lot too, since then you can use the time you do have to cook, to cook large quantities and freeze/can the leftovers. Stews, beans, and soups all can and freeze well, casserole type things, braised meats, ragus, etc can freeze well.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I have been using tofu skin sheets with great success. Larger Asian grocery stores should carry them with the rest of the tofu.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Terrormisu posted:

I have been using tofu skin sheets with great success. Larger Asian grocery stores should carry them with the rest of the tofu.

Part of the fun of lasagna is that soft-but-firm chewiness of the noodle -- I can't imagine tofu doing that well? Does it?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

tarepanda posted:

Part of the fun of lasagna is that soft-but-firm chewiness of the noodle -- I can't imagine tofu doing that well? Does it?

I think he means yuba, not tofu.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tai-Pan posted:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but plenty of free info on meal planning and grocery shopping to support said meal planning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In an effort to not be so hungry at work in the mornings I've started getting into making eggs for breakfast. Any of you goons have a favorite way of doing eggs in the morning? All I can really think of is scrambling them mixed with some Sriacha and shredded cheese, I had a couple of slightly-stale tortillas laying around too so I've tried making some sort of really bare-bones breakfast burrito with those, to mixed success (mostly due to stiff tortillas). I'm more interested in various ways to season or flavor said eggs, I could obviously just throw some chopped veggies in when I make them for a bigger meal.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 14, 2013

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

C-Euro posted:

In an effort to not be so hungry at work in the mornings I've started getting into making eggs for breakfast. Any of you goons have a favorite way of doing eggs in the morning? All I can really think of is scrambling them mixed with some Sriacha and shredded cheese, I had a couple of slightly-stale tortillas laying around too so I've tried making some sort of really bare-bones breakfast burrito with those, to mixed success (mostly due to stiff tortillas). I'm more interested in various ways to season or flavor said eggs, I could obviously just throw some chopped veggies in when I make them for a bigger meal.

Poached, on rice with sriracha and soy sauce.

porkface fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 14, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Almost every morning my breakfast has been 2 eggs fried, sunny side up with the yolks runny and half of a baked sweet potato. Decent complex carbs and protein, mix the runny yolks into the sweet potato. Cooks up in the time it takes me to make my coffee for the day and is cheap as hell.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
If you're not one of those "EEWWW, raw eggs always equal salmonella!" types, take some fresh cooked rice, crack an egg over it with some soy sauce and mix that fucker up. Sriracha, green onions, and katsuobushi/bonito flakes are always nice thrown in too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

I think he means yuba, not tofu.

He is talking about yuba, but tofu skin sheet is an acceptable synonym since that's basically what it is. As to the other question, it could do what you're thinking of admirably, but you'd want to fold it a couple of times on a layer - it's very, very thin.

C-Euro posted:

I like lightly scrambled eggs with aged provolone, sriracha, diced green onions and copious black pepper.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I like to make a large, thick frittata with a bunch of veggies and maybe some bacon or sausage in my cast iron pan, then cut it into slices and bring it to work for breakfast. It reheats well and is always tasty. If you want, you could even do a breakfast quiche instead of a frittata.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mediaphage posted:

He is talking about yuba, but tofu skin sheet is an acceptable synonym since that's basically what it is. As to the other question, it could do what you're thinking of admirably, but you'd want to fold it a couple of times on a layer - it's very, very thin.
At the Chinese market where I get mine, that's what they call it (tofu skin). They sell a really paper thin version that's in the freezer section, and is freaking /enormous/, but also fairly thick sheets in their deli counter. It was mainly because tarepanda seemed confused that I mentioned that it's called yuba.

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004
I normally make delicious Alton Brown style steak ala cast iron pan and a bajillion degrees, but I normally use sirloin or something else with no bone. I got a couple really nice porterhouse steaks that I'm going to make tonight, and this might be a very stupid question... but does the same method apply for something with a bone?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

triskadekaphilia posted:

I normally make delicious Alton Brown style steak ala cast iron pan and a bajillion degrees, but I normally use sirloin or something else with no bone. I got a couple really nice porterhouse steaks that I'm going to make tonight, and this might be a very stupid question... but does the same method apply for something with a bone?

You can, it won't work quite as well since there is a bone in the middle and silverskin around the edge. You might get some curling due to the latter, you might not get good contact when the meat starts to contract due to the former, etc. One thing you can do to help is to cut the silverskin if there is any. You can completely remove if you want, or you can just sever it in such a way that you don't get curling when it contracts. You can prevent the loss of contact by adding a lipid. The best ones to use for a steak are animal based. If you can get tallow, that would be best, but clarified butter or unrefined lard works well. If you have a grill or a very hot broiler, that would be better, but most broilers aren't really that powerful. Finish with a pat of herb compound butter (or just butter) and some maldon or other coarse flake salt.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

dino. posted:

The only reason I mention it is because I've made it before a bunch of times. There's a recipe on this Italian site: http://prontointavola.tgcom24.it/lasagne-alle-melanzane/ The recipe calls for fresh pasta, so I tried it by just skipping the pasta all together, and just using the eggplant. It worked out great. The recipe calls for you to fry the eggplant slices, but I just roasted them in an oven. It worked out just fine. I've made it more times than I can count, because our restaurant caters to gluten free folk on the regular basis. Cool part about the sliced eggplant? Is that it actually /sticks together/ as if it were pasta. It's freaking awesome.

Also, if it's the summer, you can even grill or smoke the eggplant slices to give it even more flavour. It's so tasty that I tend to make my lasagne this way when I get good eggplant at the market.

Also, I have no idea which eggplant roasting technique, but I'm intrigued at how it managed to help your family lose weight!

All awesome ideas, thanks for the link.

Oh and we lost weight because we started eating vegetables that don't taste like boring mushy poo poo instead of crappy food. You'd be surprised at how fast you lose weight when you eat healthy for a change. I never tried eggplant before you mentioned your recipe to me, it was my "gateway vegetable"

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the recipe goes something like this: Thinly slice eggplant, brush with a little olive oil, sprinkle with spices (I think cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, salt were all tried at some point). Roast in the oven at about 350-375 until the eggplant is tender.

Tastes sort of exotic and new, makes a big difference from the usual bland-ness, and really brings out the sweetness of some good eggplant.