Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
So this might be a weird one, but what are games where you get to buy and open booster packs? I liked the Pokemon Card Game Gameboy game as a kid, and I am playing a Yu-Gi-Oh game on my DS which is actually pretty fun even though I don't care about the cartoon or the real card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Might be a bit of a stretch because you don't actually purchase packs, but in Lost Kingdoms they give you a grip of cards at the end of each area. You also find cards in chests if I recall correctly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Marvel Trading Card Game for the DS and PSP is pretty drat fun. Also the two Metal Gear Acids. The first one is pretty notable for having a bugfuck crazy story.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Contest Winner posted:

So this might be a weird one, but what are games where you get to buy and open booster packs? I liked the Pokemon Card Game Gameboy game as a kid, and I am playing a Yu-Gi-Oh game on my DS which is actually pretty fun even though I don't care about the cartoon or the real card game.

Try Highgrounds, it's got sort of a M:TG meets Pokemon thing going on.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Bit of an unusual request, I think. Since I'm getting a job I may finally transfer from 32-bit XP to 64-bit 7. Now I'm looking for games that don't work on 7, so that I may get them or replay them before making the switch.

I know of Windows Compatibility Center, but a lot of older games, like Sam & Max, NOLF, Republic Commando, Splinter Cell, etc., are either not included or their status is unclear.

So, Win 7 users (I guess that's most of you), what are your favourite games that you can't play any longer (until they're on Gog)? I play pretty much everything except RTS.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I can't really think of a game that flat out doesn't work, is worth playing, and isn't on gog. For instance Republic Commando does work on Windows 7, and stuff like Sam and Max you'll never have to worry about because Scummvm supports all of the old LucasArts games.

Actually, I suppose there is one: Grim Fandango.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been trying to get Discworld Noir working properly for years :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Have you tried ScummVM? It apparently works for the other Discworld games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Windows 7 Pro comes with Windows XP in a VM so you can get most anything running if your box isn't terrible. Short of oddball things you probably couldn't get running under XP in the first place there really aren't any games that didn't make the jump.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Just curious, does this guy's advice not work?

http://www.gamespot.com/discworld-noir/forum/discworld-noir-in-windows-7-64-bit-64576164/

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Looking for a strategy game with RPG elements and a solid single-player campaign. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is a great game. The King's Bounty series isn't bad but I'd prefer tighter missions and gameplay and perhaps even a little more linearity.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Try Dawn of War 2? It's classified as an RTS, but is a lot more like a tactical rpg given its emphasis on proper ability use and equipment. Maybe "tactical Diablo" is a good name for it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Actually, I suppose there is one: Grim Fandango.

Wasn't there a setup tool or something that made it possible to install it on modern PCs?

Fake edit: Found it

dis astranagant posted:

Windows 7 Pro comes with Windows XP in a VM so you can get most anything running if your box isn't terrible. Short of oddball things you probably couldn't get running under XP in the first place there really aren't any games that didn't make the jump.

Alright, that's good to know!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I was actually thinking of replaying Discworld Noir anyway, thanks.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Mokinokaro posted:

Try Dawn of War 2? It's classified as an RTS, but is a lot more like a tactical rpg given its emphasis on proper ability use and equipment. Maybe "tactical Diablo" is a good name for it.

Oh, should have mentioned I own all the Dawn of War games. I played the poo poo out of Dark Crusade and am slowly moving through Dawn of War 2. I'd prefer something turn-based atm.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
How about Age of Wonders? It's a bit older but seems to have a lot of what you want. There's a linear campaign but it's more of an RPG with some empire building similar to HoMM. GoG.com has it.

There's also Disciples 1 and 2 that are very heavy on the story/lore and have aged pretty well. The 3rd game in the series is reportedly very bad.

EDIT: \/ Yeah, GoG's got a patch that fixes DK2 completely on Win7/8. Even fixes hardware rendering.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 14, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Bit of an unusual request, I think. Since I'm getting a job I may finally transfer from 32-bit XP to 64-bit 7. Now I'm looking for games that don't work on 7, so that I may get them or replay them before making the switch.

I know of Windows Compatibility Center, but a lot of older games, like Sam & Max, NOLF, Republic Commando, Splinter Cell, etc., are either not included or their status is unclear.

So, Win 7 users (I guess that's most of you), what are your favourite games that you can't play any longer (until they're on Gog)? I play pretty much everything except RTS.

NOLF 1 works just fine on Win7, I just installed it on my friend's computer last week.

The only one I remember fitting this category may be Dungeon Keeper 2. The GOG forums were full of low-reviews begging GOG to fix Win7 compatibility but it looks like it might be fixed now.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I'm going away for a month long trip and might need some entertainment, but I will have to use my girlfriend's Acer Aspire D270 laptop which is not that great. (At least every time she has needed updates and I've used it, it's been loving slow as hell) Games that I already have and will play if I have time:

-System Shock 2 (Have never played this and heard good things about it)
-Baldur's Gate 2 (Never had time to finish this one)
-Torchlight (Not sure if how it will run)

Basically I need games that don't need a great computer. I love survival games and RPGs. Just need something to waste time on in the evenings.

EDIT: I don't like RTS games at all.

live free or dont fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 14, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sajeezzar posted:

I'm going away for a month long trip and might need some entertainment, but I will have to use my girlfriend's Acer Aspire D270 laptop which is not that great. (At least every time she has needed updates and I've used it, it's been loving slow as hell) Games that I already have and will play if I have time:

-System Shock 2 (Have never played this and heard good things about it)
-Baldur's Gate 2 (Never had time to finish this one)
-Torchlight (Not sure if how it will run)

Basically I need games that don't need a great computer. I love survival games and RPGs. Just need something to waste time on in the evenings.

EDIT: I don't like RTS games at all.

Planescape Torment would probably be a great choice, since it doesn't require much to run, and has a great story. You can get it on Good Old Games.

If you really want to try a "survival" RPG, you might consider Unreal World, which is (now) free. It's a roguelike, and only arguably 'graphical', but it's one of my favorite games.

Between those games, and the ones you already have, you should be good to go! :)

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
The four Ys games are great if you like old school action games with a bit of platforming they don't require much in the way of a great computer and they're pretty cheap, i think they're all around $15, and Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles came out just last month they're fairly old and pretty short.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Seconding UnReal World, although it has a somewhat steep learning curve.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

Seconding UnReal World, although it has a somewhat steep learning curve.

Oh yeah I tried this once, but didn't know what the gently caress was going on (Never played games like this before) and didn't have time, so maybe I will try this one! Also, Planescape Torment sounds cool as hell :) Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Sajeezzar posted:

Oh yeah I tried this once, but didn't know what the gently caress was going on (Never played games like this before) and didn't have time, so maybe I will try this one! Also, Planescape Torment sounds cool as hell :) Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

This is a pretty good guide for new players: http://unrealworld.wikia.com/wiki/New_Player_Guide
There's some things that are made obsolete with the latest version though. Basically, don't listen to the part about starting out near the SW coast. Aim for somewhere in the middle and don't worry about finding shops just yet. When you do, javelins and fox traps are decent currency, not torches. That's all. Also, climb trees to spot game.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Sajeezzar posted:

I'm not sure what the requirements on it are, but you might like "Don't Starve" for "wander in the woods scrounging for poo poo and trying not to be eaten by things" type of survival. I played Dungeons of Dredmor on my first gen Acer AspireOne so I would imagine Don't Starve would run, but I haven't actually tried it.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
I'm looking for realistic-ish racing simulators for the PC that don't require a fancy steering wheel setup. I want something along the lines of Forza 4, which I was crushed to discover is not available on PC. I'd really like something with financial/team management like GRID and complex tuning and customization like Forza. Any suggestions?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warcranium posted:

I'm looking for realistic-ish racing simulators for the PC that don't require a fancy steering wheel setup. I want something along the lines of Forza 4, which I was crushed to discover is not available on PC. I'd really like something with financial/team management like GRID and complex tuning and customization like Forza. Any suggestions?

I've heard NFS Shift 2 is quite a good effort in pseudo-sim racing. Dirt 2 and 3 are pretty good but have flaws. Dirt 2 is ruined by the game and all it's characters trying to be your best friend, dude. While 3 has very intrusive paid DLC fluff.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Any PC games that feature split screen co-op that reads multiple gamepads?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chinaman7000 posted:

http://pccouchcoop.com/

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Can anyone recommend me any PC motocross games with a focus on speed and stunts? I have Trials Gold, and I really enjoy it, but I also have technical problems with it relating to my processor, and would also like more motocross games.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Any modern(-ish) RTS recommendations that have a classic RTS feel to them? My favourite RTS of all time is Red Alert 2, followed my Age of Empires 2, I prefer the build up your base, tech up, harvest everything in sight, amass army and attack kinda gameplay than the 'I see Unit X so I have to counter with Unit Y' ones. And a good single campaign story is a must, I enjoyed SC2 and the Dawn of War/Company of Heroes games but they didn't quite satisfy the old 90s RTS itch.

I much prefer harvestable resources to strategic point capturing, and am slightly put off by Starcraft style countering and grand strategies, I guess I like my RTS's kinda easy and slightly mindless :shobon:.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Try Spellforce 2? It's a hybrid of an RTS and ARPG so you alternate between fairly classic RTS missions and Diabloesque ones. The storyline isn't bad, if a bit cliche.

There's also Battle Realms over at GOG.com. It's an older game but the resource system is really interesting (rice and water, with water also needed to produce rice.)

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Lord Dekks posted:

Any modern(-ish) RTS recommendations that have a classic RTS feel to them? My favourite RTS of all time is Red Alert 2, followed my Age of Empires 2, I prefer the build up your base, tech up, harvest everything in sight, amass army and attack kinda gameplay than the 'I see Unit X so I have to counter with Unit Y' ones. And a good single campaign story is a must, I enjoyed SC2 and the Dawn of War/Company of Heroes games but they didn't quite satisfy the old 90s RTS itch.

I much prefer harvestable resources to strategic point capturing, and am slightly put off by Starcraft style countering and grand strategies, I guess I like my RTS's kinda easy and slightly mindless :shobon:.

Try Rise of Nations, it's like AoE2 mixed with some Civ. I don't remember the single player, but I assume it's some sort of historical battles thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nighteyedie posted:

Try Rise of Nations, it's like AoE2 mixed with some Civ. I don't remember the single player, but I assume it's some sort of historical battles thing.

There are historical campaign scenarios and also a risk-style grand strategy mode. Rise of Nations is probably my favorite game ever though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chinaman7000 posted:

Trine 1 & 2 and Magicka are all fantastic.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Trine 1 & 2 and Magicka are all fantastic.

Is Magicka still a bugridden mess or is that only for online multi? I bought Magicka in a Steam sale bundle but it was awful trying to play the campaign online.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

5thMouseButton posted:

Is Magicka still a bugridden mess or is that only for online multi? I bought Magicka in a Steam sale bundle but it was awful trying to play the campaign online.

It depends on your hardware, they haven't fixed poo poo for those on certain laptops with integrated graphic cards for example, but for others the game runs fine.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
I'll likely just have to have Steam download it again then, I'm on a desktop with midrange HW a few years old and had issues with a host of bugs in both solo and online, but drat if it didn't look like a great coop game.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lord Dekks posted:

I don't know if AoE2 is on your modern scale, but if Steam is to be believed, they are going to re-release AoE2 in HD.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm looking for a city-building/strategy game about settling a new land or world focused on basic survival and resource management, similar to The Settlers 2 or Outpost 2. A sci-fi theme would be nice, but really, anything with those particular gameplay elements would rock.

e: Basically, I want this game, or something as near to it as possible: http://unclaimedworld-game.com/

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 16, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

I'm looking for a city-building/strategy game about settling a new land or world focused on basic survival and resource management, similar to The Settlers 2 or Outpost 2. A sci-fi theme would be nice, but really, anything with those particular gameplay elements would rock.

e: Basically, I want this game, or something as near to it as possible: http://unclaimedworld-game.com/

Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 for settling and city-building
Anno 2070 for basically the same game but sci-fi
UnReal World (it's now free) for basic survival and settling, although you only control one character

And yeah that game looks baller as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Here's one I bet no one has asked about before: A space-based RTS. I realized that I have a good 4X, and a good pure combat space game or two, but I do not have a standard space RTS. Build bases, create ships, blow up other ships. I've got Homeworld 1 & 2, and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident never holds my attention. I'm seriously looking for something like Starcraft in space.

Any ideas?