Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Are lose lines in quotations quotes from the book? Cause if so that is some god awful writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I can see the Jacob's Ladder ripoff elements. So you haven't seen any past that one? The last two were so bad I thought I had opened the box and was now in my own personal hell of terrible films.

I keep meaning to marathon every Hellraiser movie. I just rewatched the first one (which is one of my all time favorites, lovely sequels aside) so maybe I'll dive headfirst into the abyss.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I keep meaning to marathon every Hellraiser movie. I just rewatched the first one (which is one of my all time favorites, lovely sequels aside) so maybe I'll dive headfirst into the abyss.

It's quite the ride. I did that about a year ago (a buddy had never seen any). What do you think of the other Clive Barker movies? I really enjoyed Midnight Meat Train, and the Plague wasn't too terrible, but I haven't seen Gods and Monsters even though I keep meaning too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Nobody appreciates Nightbreed as much as it deserves.

Speaking of, though, I still need to see Candyman, and I've never even heard of Gods and Monsters or The Plague.

EDIT: While looking up his more recent films I just discovered that they're planning an adaptation of Pig Blood Blues -- I hope that really happens.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 13, 2013

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of, though, I still need to see Candyman, and I've never even heard of Gods and Monsters or The Plague.

I forgot about Nightbreed! That is a good one. The plague stars James van der Beek, so ya, everyone hated that watched it with me. It's pretty forgettable I just remember enjoying it when I watched it.

The first Candyman is good, skip the rest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hate how the SA mobile app won't let me edit my posts. Sorry for back to back posts.

You made me go look up the Plague, and turns out Clive Barker had almost nothing to do with the actual story, merely produced it. Similar story with Gods and Monsters, except it's considered a great movie.

Glad to hear Pig Blood Blues, that should hopefully be good if it comes out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MacheteZombie posted:

I hate how the SA mobile app won't let me edit my posts. Sorry for back to back posts.

FYI if you sign out of it and sign back in it will let you edit them again (if this is the "Awful" app on iOS, I had the same issue).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

priznat posted:

FYI if you sign out of it and sign back in it will let you edit them again (if this is the "Awful" app on iOS, I had the same issue).

Cool. Too bad my password is a string of incomprehensible nonsense I can never remember, thanks SA password generator! I'll do that when I get home and look at the saved password manager on my computer.

Since we're still talking about Clive, is Lord of Illusions any good? Based on his story The Last Illusion. It's supposed to be a horror-noir, which has peaked my interest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was really unimpressed with Lord of Illusions (when I watched it, which was years ago) but apparently there are multiple cuts and one of them is a lot more coherently edited than the other.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
edit: this is not the chat thread

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was really unimpressed with Lord of Illusions (when I watched it, which was years ago) but apparently there are multiple cuts and one of them is a lot more coherently edited than the other.

Yeah the director's cut adds a lot of really significant footage. I've never watched the theatrical cut, but by looking at a summary of what was cut (around 15 minutes of footage), it definitely seems like it would be a very different and less satisfying movie. The director's cut is fantastic, there really aren't enough horror-noir flicks.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

EDIT: While looking up his more recent films I just discovered that they're planning an adaptation of Pig Blood Blues -- I hope that really happens.

Candyman is one of the best horror movies of the '90s. Really, one of the best movies of the '90s, period. It's pretty unquestionably an improvement on the original short story.

Gods and Monster is also great, but not a horror movie at all. But it's a biopic of James Whale, who is a hugely important figure in horror cinema, so I figure horror fans should give it a shot.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 14, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Candyman is one of the best horror movies of the '90s. Really, one of the best movies of the '90s, period. It's pretty unquestionably an improvement on the original short story.

Having not watched Candyman in about ten years, what about it exactly gives it that general creep factor, that feeling of dread that I remember it having pretty much from start to finish. Like, I remember being scared during scenes where the main character is just walking down an alley and looking at some graffiti on the walls, how did they do that? Probably the music, I do remember the music being very very unsettling.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Was The X-files inspired by Candyman?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Having not watched Candyman in about ten years, what about it exactly gives it that general creep factor, that feeling of dread that I remember it having pretty much from start to finish. Like, I remember being scared during scenes where the main character is just walking down an alley and looking at some graffiti on the walls, how did they do that? Probably the music, I do remember the music being very very unsettling.

Philip Glass Score + Tony Todd + Cabrini Green + a lead actress that was put under hypnosis

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Almost every time I watch the later Hellraiser sequels I get the impression that some producer found the script while going through a bin of generic horror movie scripts the company bought for a couple hundred bucks each, thought "this one could make some money I guess" and had someone slap Pinhead into it because why the hell not.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

MacheteZombie posted:

What do you think of the other Clive Barker movies?

Everybody should see Rawhead Rex at least once.

It features one of the best and funniest rubber mask monsters ever.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Philip Glass Score + Tony Todd + Cabrini Green + a lead actress that was put under hypnosis

Also despite the relative lack of gore, the method of murder is just horrendously unpleasant to imagine.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Almost every time I watch the later Hellraiser sequels I get the impression that some producer found the script while going through a bin of generic horror movie scripts the company bought for a couple hundred bucks each, thought "this one could make some money I guess" and had someone slap Pinhead into it because why the hell not.

That is literally how most of the Hellraiser sequels after 4 were made, so you're spot on with that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

This is definitely what happened with part five and probably some of the other ones too.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say it's mostly the music. It's funny how if you match up the right music with scenery your brain goes right to dread.
Those beautiful helicopter shots of Cabrini Green and that strange minimal score. Awesome stuff.

I often wonder why horror directors choose such complex symphonic music when it's been proven over and over again how effective the more simple approach is.

Carpenters bass line in the the thing, the repetitive piano keys in Exorcist, etc.

side note:
I was only in LA once in my life, but when I was there I stopped in a Taco Bell and saw Tony Todd just munching on Tacos.
I told him how much I loved him in Candyman, he was super nice. But Still terrifying, even out of character.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Network Pesci posted:

That is literally how most of the Hellraiser sequels after 4 were made, so you're spot on with that.

This is definitely what happened with part five and probably some of the other ones too.

Ha, and here I thought it was just me being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat all these years.

Interestingly enough, the discussion on Candyman recently drove me to look up information on the series, and I happened to find this from an interview with Tony Todd:

Wikipedia posted:

“It’s going to be stand-alone,” he says of the new project. “There will be no number attached to it.” In the same interview, Todd also revealed that Barker is trying to obtain the rights to the Hellraiser and Candyman franchises for a possible crossover film. For the time being, Barker is involved in a remake of the original Hellraiser. Despite this, both Barker and Todd are confident that a 4th film will happen, whether the character is alone or facing Pinhead.

I honestly can't even begin to fathom what this film would look like or what route they would take for it to actually turn out good, but holy crap would I pay to see this regardless.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

By the way, anyone here who liked Candyman should check out Bernard Rose's previous movie, Paperhouse. It's only tangentially a horror movie - more like a dark drama with fantasy elements - but it's absolutely worth a watch.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I too did some Candyman digging and discovered that Eddie Murphy was originally considered for the role.

The thought of this makes me smile a lot.

A Candyman/Hellraiser crossover is the dumbest idea ever, and if that's true it reinforces my belief that (although I love his books) Clive Barker has no idea what makes his own stories good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well Candyman is a ghost/evil spirit and the Cenobites come from a dimension that seems a lot like Hell, so maybe a situation similar to Freddy vs. Jason where the Cenobites try to use the Candyman for their own purposes but of course he rebels and they have to fight at the end.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

demozthenes posted:

I've been wanting to see this based on the dumb name alone forever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I've been wanting to see this based on the dumb name alone forever.

I've been told the movie is very dumb, but the original short story is incredible.

Barker's kinda the king of amazing short stories with goofy-rear end names (Rawhead Rex, Midnight Meat Train, Skins of the Fathers, The Yattering and Jack, etc).

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

For candyman, I feel like a lot of what makes it have such a sense of creeping dread is the location. Cabrini has a pervasive sort of "wrongess" to it that even though we rarely actually see the candyman, it still keeps you on edge. (Also felt this way about the asylum grave encounters was shot in)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Speaking of which, I watched Grave Encounters 2 last night and I always enjoy watching a movie completely poo poo itself 2/3 through.

'Plodding' and 'beginning to get interesting' quickly turned to simply 'dumb'.

When the thing that's scary in your movie is scary because you can't understand it, don't try to loving explain it or literally map it out in the sequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I've been told the movie is very dumb, but the original short story is incredible.

Barker's kinda the king of amazing short stories with goofy-rear end names (Rawhead Rex, Midnight Meat Train, Skins of the Fathers, The Yattering and Jack, etc).

What's that one where with the couple on vacation and they watch two trash giants fight each other? That is one of the most surreal things I can remember reading.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Profondo Rosso posted:

For candyman, I feel like a lot of what makes it have such a sense of creeping dread is the location. Cabrini has a pervasive sort of "wrongess" to it that even though we rarely actually see the candyman, it still keeps you on edge. (Also felt this way about the asylum grave encounters was shot in)

Yeah, I totally agree. All of the stuff with the weird architecture and the way the swank apartment was just a facade over an old projects is some deep-dark fairly tale Id stuff. They really knew how to make real location feel unreal.

Anybody read the Barker story it's based on? I bought it at the library for like a quarter and somehow never got around to it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

demozthenes posted:

Does this compare to Pumpkinhead at all?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Yeah, I totally agree. All of the stuff with the weird architecture and the way the swank apartment was just a facade over an old projects is some deep-dark fairly tale Id stuff. They really knew how to make real location feel unreal.

Anybody read the Barker story it's based on? I bought it at the library for like a quarter and somehow never got around to it.

I have. It's very good, and some of the best bits from the movie are straight out of the story, but I do think the movie is an improvement in large part due to the new setting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's that one where with the couple on vacation and they watch two trash giants fight each other? That is one of the most surreal things I can remember reading.

In The Hills, The Cities. That's one of my favorites of his, too. Man, The Books of Blood were so goddamn good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes! Thank you, I've looked for it but I suck at looking for stuff I can barely remember because my descriptions are so vague.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

I'm surprised that The Yattering and Jack has never been adapted to film.

I wish he'd finish that giant sequel to The Hellbound Heart he's supposed to be working on, but I doubt it'll ever materialize.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FigurativelyHitler posted:

I'm surprised that The Yattering and Jack has never been adapted to film.

It was adapted into an episode of Tales from the Darkside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCUbzWboNgA

It's not particularly good, IMO, but it, uh, exists I guess.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's not particularly good, IMO, but it, uh, exists I guess.

This should just be the tagline for Tales from the Darkside.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

This should just be the tagline for Tales from the Darkside.

I kinda love the Tales from the Darkside movie, but the show's... pretty janky.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

But every episode seems to have some random semi-famous star in it, which unfortunately is usually the most interesting part of the show.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Monsters was so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rk93nh3dz8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Parachute posted:

But every episode seems to have some random semi-famous star in it, which unfortunately is usually the most interesting part of the show.

Remember the Nightmare on Elm Street t.v. series? The only reason I liked that show was the one episode with Brad Pitt.