Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Amazon store is total crap and isn't worth the free stuff they give out. I uninstalled it ages ago and don't miss it one bit. I spent maybe ten bucks buying all the worthwhile stuff back from the Play store, but it was worth it not to have to mess with the lovely Amazon store.

I'd agree with this if Plants vs Zombies was available anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

big mean giraffe posted:

I'd agree with this if Plants vs Zombies was available anywhere else.

You mean like the Play Store?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.popcap.pvz_na

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Peggle isn't there, though.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Kinda seems like a mountain out of a molehill. I know I'm usually an apologist for anything a company does, but I think this is a bit silly.

You need to have the Amazon app installed on your phone to use Amazon apps. You don't need to open it every day, you don't need to enter your password everyday, it's not always chewing up battery in the background.

It's not like how it was before where it spammed 44 notifications every day. I switch roms a ton and as long as I backup the app store along with whatever apps I'm keeping around, I don't have to touch it if I don't want to. If I forget to back it up, I just have to download it again and and sign in. I've gone months without even remembering it's on my phone.

Maybe they constantly use your phone to secretly take pictures of poo poo you have in your house to send you emails about what you should buy from them or something, but I think this is all tinfoil hat territory.

If you just feel more comfortable supporting the devs, that makes sense, but the store itself is not the pain in the rear end it once was.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

sethsez posted:

Peggle isn't there, though.

Plenty of copy cats though.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

nessin posted:

Plenty of copy cats though.

Do any of the copycats play "Ode to Joy"? If not, forget about it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Kinda seems like a mountain out of a molehill. I know I'm usually an apologist for anything a company does, but I think this is a bit silly.

I have to have my phone in airplane mode at work, and this messes up the Amazon app big time. It won't even save my info and it's about every other day it makes me go through the little dance of going somewhere I can get reception/wifi, re-entering my username and password and authorizing Amazon Appstore so I can play Plants Vs Zombies when I take a poo poo.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

I have to have my phone in airplane mode at work

Just curious, but why is this? That seems a little excessive even if you work for productivity nazis.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ScarletBrother posted:

Just curious, but why is this? That seems a little excessive even if you work for productivity nazis.

Probably some kind of security thing.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
10000000 and Super Stickman Golf 2 are out!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

I suppose, if you work inside a Faraday cage, it'd be better for your battery life than forcing it to strain for reception.

That could be a useful OS-level feature, actually; recognising that at location X battery life goes down by Y from 9-5 Mon-Fri, Android puts two and two together and asks if you want to turn off your radios to prolong your battery life. Or an automated sleep-wake cycle, or something.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

spincube posted:

I suppose, if you work inside a Faraday cage, it'd be better for your battery life than forcing it to strain for reception.

This, the building I work in is all metal, and I work inside an insulated room inside of that, which means 0 cell reception at work.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Davedave24 posted:

Do any of the copycats play "Ode to Joy"? If not, forget about it.
They probably couldn't afford the royalties.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

How are the Fighting Fantasy games? Kinda interested in picking one of the up.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

ScarletBrother posted:

As was already pointed out, not everyone gets stellar cell reception at work. I work in the basement under a factory floor, so my cell reception bounces in and out all day. The signal searching is absolutely murder on any battery, so I just shut off all the radios when I'm at work.

It's even easy to do with nfc, just drop my phone on the tag when I get in, and swipe it over the tag when I get to my car to restore signals.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, there are a few people out there who don't have data plans and are stuck with whatever wifi they can find.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've been waiting for 10000000 for a long time. It's an amazing game.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

YggiDee posted:

Also, there are a few people out there who don't have data plans and are stuck with whatever wifi they can find.
I suspect that this is a LOT of people as well - I have several friends and relatives who have android phones but either dropped the line after ending the contract, loving up their payments, or just getting a hand-me-down smartphone as a tech-toy. Even my 13 year-old nephew ended up with an iPod Touch, Android Phone, AND an old iPhone through hand-me-downs in the last couple years.

My roommate barely even notices that he's not always online - there's wifi at home, at the bar(s) and at most places he ends up hanging out throughout the day, and he only plays a very limited stable of games, none of which require always-on. Since he's a poor and acknowledges it, he also gives no poo poo about stuff like amazon app store's stuff requiring him to be online, it's just the price of getting "free poo poo" in his view.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

BrightGreenLine posted:

I work in the basement under a factory floor, so my cell reception bounces in and out all day.

I am now imagining that you are one of the guys from Breaking Bad, cooking meth all day.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

nessin posted:

I recently finished Gurk 2, and I'm looking for something in the same vein (RPG/Tactical game) that I haven't played yet. Anyone tried these and can offer an opinion:

Kingturn RPG
Hero Mages
9th Dawn RPG

Edit:
I've already played with some of the well known titles (such as Cyber Knights) or have others on PC (Wesnoth, Avadon).

I know it's a bit late, but have you tried the Trese Brother's other game Templar Assault? You probably have, because it's in the OP, but it's a pretty great little tactical warfare game. It's not so much an RPG, although you can raise soldiers' stats and outfit them, but it's got your tactical itch covered quite well. I linked to the free version of the game, but as with all Trese Brother's games there is a paid version with much more content.

If you played TA in the past and haven't booted it up recently, boot it up! I just booted up the game for the first time in 6 months or so yesterday to help them test out some things and was pretty surprised at the changes.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
That Wii FPS The Conduit is also out on Google Play today in a HD version. You get the first 2 levels free, and have to pay $5 for the remaining 7. Looks like they stripped out the multiplayer as well, and its currently only compatible with Tegra devices at the moment unfortunately.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

So I've hit the point in kopp where there's some kind of construction going on with shipwreck cove and I've completed all the other quests...do I just grind out mob battles from here and wait for shipwreck cove to open up?

Also how are you guys skilling your Hunter? I've put a ton of points into volley and a few points into crit. I'm running hunter/rogue/cleric/barbarian/mage and I really like the composition.

Has anyone played through it twice? I started a new game just to experience the game with 5 players from the start with all the table/room items and paid closer attention to class bonuses and such. I just have a feeling that once I beat it with my first saved game I won't ever go back and try to beat it again.

kstatix fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 15, 2013

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't like runners, and Jones on Fire is darn good. Check it out guys, it's the cost of a large soda for pete's sake!

Seconding. Finally got a chance to try it out and Jones on Fire is some weird, addictive fun.

If the dev is listening, hi five. My only question: will the "coming soon" upgrades cost regular kitties? I get excited for golds because I know I can spend em.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

kstatix posted:

So I've hit the point in kopp where there's some kind of construction going on with shipwreck cove and I've completed all the other quests...do I just grind out mob battles from here and wait for shipwreck cove to open up?

Also how are you guys skilling your Hunter? I've put a ton of points into volley and a few points into crit. I'm running hunter/rogue/cleric/barbarian/mage and I really like the composition.

Has anyone played through it twice? I started a new game just to experience the game with 5 players from the start with all the table/room items and paid closer attention to class bonuses and such. I just have a feeling that once I beat it with my first saved game I won't ever go back and try to beat it again.

I've been waiting 3 months for Shipwreck Cove to open and I have no idea why it's taking so long. I'll occasionally grind a bit (most are around 50), but it's way beyond the point of diminishing returns unless you want to farm money.

Volley, crit, and 10 in the one that swaps initiative for damage. You want your hunter to go later so you can get buffs on him before his first volley, although you're missing the two most important support classes for a hunter - necro and bard. With Help From Below and the attack+ song your hunter becomes the best class in the game by a huge margin.

I recommend for sure swapping the cleric with a bard, and probably the mage or rogue for a necro. I'd personally swap the mage out so the rogue could also benefit from the attack buffs, but the mage is better for pure farming if that's what you are after.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Fryhtaning posted:

I've been waiting 3 months for Shipwreck Cove to open and I have no idea why it's taking so long. I'll occasionally grind a bit (most are around 50), but it's way beyond the point of diminishing returns unless you want to farm money.

Volley, crit, and 10 in the one that swaps initiative for damage. You want your hunter to go later so you can get buffs on him before his first volley, although you're missing the two most important support classes for a hunter - necro and bard. With Help From Below and the attack+ song your hunter becomes the best class in the game by a huge margin.

I recommend for sure swapping the cleric with a bard, and probably the mage or rogue for a necro. I'd personally swap the mage out so the rogue could also benefit from the attack buffs, but the mage is better for pure farming if that's what you are after.

Well gently caress my lineup is all in the low 30s and I honestly have no interest in switching the classes out and leveling them all up all over again. Id rather just start over, which is something I'm going to strongly consider now. I don't know that I feel comfortable running without a cleric and having a bard as a primary healer.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

PrinnySquadron posted:

How are the Fighting Fantasy games? Kinda interested in picking one of the up.

Ultimately they're tedious to go through and have the typical substandard classic chose your own adventure writing quality. If you really like that style, or are interested in reading material but lean more towards comic books than actual novels, then go for it when you can find them on sale.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

kstatix posted:

Well gently caress my lineup is all in the low 30s and I honestly have no interest in switching the classes out and leveling them all up all over again. Id rather just start over, which is something I'm going to strongly consider now. I don't know that I feel comfortable running without a cleric and having a bard as a primary healer.

Give the bard points in his heal and healing song early on. You'll respec to being more offensive as the game goes on if you have a necro. The key is lifesteal - Help From Below from the necro. If you get a necro dropping Help From Below on a barb, rogue, and hunter, you will pretty much never have to heal them. At level 50 my barb heals for 150% of his max life with every hit. You'll just want to put more emphasis in hp regen stuff early on, like the foods and furniture and any gear that gives hp regen like the rings. As Help From Below gets stronger, the less you'll need a healer. The bard giving damage bonus also helps you steal more life. I don't even use the pool table, but there's another 5% lifesteal there if you do.

Edit: Also, if you only swap one out and have a lot of money, you can powerlevel them really quickly with XP potions. I might even try that right now to replace my shaman with a rogue, even though shaman AoE is ridiculous.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

brother-joseph posted:

Seconding. Finally got a chance to try it out and Jones on Fire is some weird, addictive fun.

If the dev is listening, hi five. My only question: will the "coming soon" upgrades cost regular kitties? I get excited for golds because I know I can spend em.
Glad you dig it ;)

The "coming soons" will eventually be filled out with a character customization system, and a kitty customization system. It'll include a range of deco items that are bought with regular and golden kitties. Kind of the same spread you see right now, where some things are K, some are GK.

I might put a few items in there designed to be a K sink. I don't know about you, but I get up to a certain point, and I just end up swimming in K. GK stays consistently useful, but K drops off after the early game.

How soon that happens depends mostly on how much of a financial success I can pull out of the game. If I can get it doing better, sooner, if I can't, then it'll be a back-burner thing and will come out a bit later.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

kstatix posted:

If you've got a barb with high enough threat, just swap one out at a time, and they should be able to catch up pretty easily, especially since you can power level them with grinding. I would recommend keeping the rogue since he's probably the 2nd highest dps in the game, outclassed only by the hunter.

Also, if you're going to recompose your party, you want to make sure all your damage dealers are sitting next to each other. Help from below no longer affects your whole party, but just one person and the two people sitting next to them. Make sure your barb, rogue, and hunt are sitting next to each other so you only have to cast it once.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What's the most effective class in Dungelot?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Why do you people all go for volley on Hunter? The heart shot does better single target damage, and better single target damage means you can prune large waves of enemies into much more manageable numbers (and so, less likely to dogpile your barbarian and overwhelm his lifesteal/regen) more quickly, especially in combination with stuff like crippling strike, sleep, and that ice stun attack from the mage. Anything you can kill by purely spamming volley surely isn't much of a threat anyway.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 15, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

7thBatallion posted:

What's the most effective class in Dungelot?

Tie between paladin and vampire. Vampire because it will get health back fairly regularly. Paladin because its advantage scales well with enemy difficulty, and is very reliable. Too much RNG crap with the others. The brewer can consistently get fairly deep, though, so it's not bad for getting coins.

Once you get a bunch of money, upgrade the assassin all the way to clear quickly. The RNG is that it attacks twice rather than the Paladin's RNG of only getting double damage vs undead.

But I'd say vampire for the health advantage over time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Shalinor posted:

Hola folks! I'm happy to say that my game, Jones On Fire, is now available on GooglePlay. It'll be on Amazon too, whenever they approve it. The game's - er, well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEYtIW-WY50

If you've got any questions, I'm happy to answer them. I mostly post in the iOS thread, though it's just an accident of having an iPhone / having gone that way for dev... and frankly, I miss my Droid 1 some days. Ah well, 1 more year on the contract.

EDIT: Oh for pete's sake... had both tabs open. Thanks, yeah, fixed.

I have no words for this or than beautiful.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Holy poo poo, 10000000 is goddamn addictive. It definitely has that "just one more go, holy poo poo its 2AM?" quality to it.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Haha, yeah. I played it on the train home and instead of driving home from there, I just sat in my car in the parking lot for another half hour.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

nessin posted:

Ultimately they're tedious to go through and have the typical substandard classic chose your own adventure writing quality. If you really like that style, or are interested in reading material but lean more towards comic books than actual novels, then go for it when you can find them on sale.

I'm playing through Dimensions at the moment and I'd say you're being unnecessarily harsh here, it's a good callbacks to the SNES period Final Fantasy games but done in a episodic style like FF4: The After Years.

I don't think anyone would expect the writing in a Final Fantasy game to be serious literature.

The control scheme is the only thing that annoys me somewhat, I'm guessing they did it to easily accommodate multiple screen sizes and platforms but I would have preferred a fixed virtual D-pad somewhere on screen instead of moving to wherever you touch.

vvv Well that would explain it :v:

And it looks like I can set a fixed D-pad, I think I just saw the giant volume sliders and ignored the rest of that menu.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 16, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm playing through Dimensions at the moment and I'd say you're being unnecessarily harsh here, it's a good callbacks to the SNES period Final Fantasy games but done in a episodic style like FF4: The After Years.
Fighting Fantasy is not Final Fantasy.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

VodeAndreas posted:

The control scheme is the only thing that annoys me somewhat, I'm guessing they did it to easily accommodate multiple screen sizes and platforms but I would have preferred a fixed virtual D-pad somewhere on screen instead of moving to wherever you touch.

You can set a fixed D-Pad in the options.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fangz posted:

Why do you people all go for volley on Hunter? The heart shot does better single target damage, and better single target damage means you can prune large waves of enemies into much more manageable numbers (and so, less likely to dogpile your barbarian and overwhelm his lifesteal/regen) more quickly, especially in combination with stuff like crippling strike, sleep, and that ice stun attack from the mage. Anything you can kill by purely spamming volley surely isn't much of a threat anyway.

I consider the Pombagira to be farming fodder, and my barb tank can take hits from all 7 without dying, so the overall damage of volley is worth it to me. Things start dying by the 2nd round and is usually over in the 3rd or 4th.

Guilty posted:

I would recommend keeping the rogue since he's probably the 2nd highest dps in the game, outclassed only by the hunter.

I haven't had a rogue past 20, but is this true? Against 7 enemies my shaman does 85x7 targets, plus the 70 each that hits the enemy at the start of their turn, for a total of 1085 per round. Without buffs, my hunter would do 1300ish per round, 2085 fully buffed. What level is your rogue and how much damage per round can he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What's the point at which additional investment in the bread and butter skills is no longer worth it? I'm thinking volley, help from below, power chord, etc.

• Locked thread