Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Were you able to find a way to view your feeds in a list view (preferably filterable by feed)? The lack of that was why I only tried feedly for about 5 minutes yesterday.

On the website:
In preferences select "Condensed". You can do this by feed (top right gear) or globally (in select list on left side down at the bottom).

In the app:
Go to Advanced Settings in the menu (swipe in from the left or click the feedly icon on top left) and select Default View and change it to List.

Anyway, let's try to keep this Android app-related!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boywunda posted:

Yes, click on the green icon in the top left corner, choose "Uncategorized" view and all the feeds with their count numbers appear. Click on the feed you want, then a new settings icon appears, to which you can choose "Mark All as Read", which is a feature I wish all Readers have.

Ok, that's close. Can feeds without any unread items be hidden in the uncategorized list?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

hooah posted:

Ok, that's close. Can feeds without any unread items be hidden in the uncategorized list?

I can't find an option to hide any feeds, but you can remove them through the app. If no unread articles are in that feed, it shows up as "none" for the count of unread articles.

Edit: Also int he App, under Advanced Settings you can change Default View to - Detect, List, Magazine or Cards. if that helps as well.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 14, 2013

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
What's up with the Facebook app pushing its own updates through the app instead of through the market now?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

fuzzi posted:

What's up with the Facebook app pushing its own updates through the app instead of through the market now?

whatsapp also did this to me today.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone else having weird issues with google calendar? My wife and I use our Calendar a ton and today I noticed some of my events are screwed up, One recurring event I have went two hours back and another went back an hour, somethings have not changed at all. This has to be a DST bug but we live in AZ so nothing should change. This is really messing us up since now we have no idea if our appointments or schedules are correct.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

fuzzi posted:

Oddly, my FB isn't updating since I received the inapp update.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

fuzzi posted:

Not only that, but it's now hung on my phone and won't go away, even after a reboot. How do I get rid of this?! I tried stopping all running processes, updating from the store. IT'S STILL THERE, ACTING LIKE IT'S DOWNLOADING

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Contacts+ is basically amazing.

Facebook updating itself? I see nothing like that

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
I saw some people talking about the in-app facebook update on xda but it took a few days for me to get it. It will probably roll out to other people soon.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

fuzzi posted:

deong posted:

Oddly, my FB isn't updating since I received the inapp update.

This might be what you're looking for. Facebook just enabled silent updates for Android, which is an ironic term for it since from now on it's just going to beep or buzz you incessantly until you install what it downloaded without asking you. Well, by default, anyway.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 14, 2013

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EasyEW posted:

This might be what you're looking for. Facebook just enabled silent updates for Android, which is an ironic term for it since from now on it's just going to beep or buzz you incessantly until you install what it downloaded without asking you. Well, by default, anyway.

Oh, no. I got the download and installed it, but after the install fb stopped updating the news feeds. I just did a force close from settings>app and its working now. I just thought it'd be humorous if they busted their app with the google play workaround that they did.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Hey, I just realised Google has removed all ad-blocking apps from play store?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WastedJoker posted:

They've violated the stores tos since they've been been uploaded, surprised it didn't happen sooner.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WastedJoker posted:

And now Youtube is showing unskippable ads. What a coincidence!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google has pulled the official Google Reader app from the Play Store.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/14/well-that-was-fast-google-has-pulled-the-google-reader-app-from-the-play-store/

AP claims it's only cached, but you can still install it from the store so who knows.

e: I just installed it on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus S so I'd say grab it while you can if you want it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

KillerMojo posted:

Not only that, but it's now hung on my phone and won't go away, even after a reboot. How do I get rid of this?! I tried stopping all running processes, updating from the store. IT'S STILL THERE, ACTING LIKE IT'S DOWNLOADING

Go to Downloads in your launcher, you can stop it from there. I had the same issue as you and that's what did the trick for me.

Man, today is apparently Android Dick Move Day. Google Reader, removing adblockers and now Facebook basically forcing you to go through their lovely new update service or uninstalling it completely? gently caress that.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Pi Day is officially ruined :(

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

parrhesia posted:

Go to Downloads in your launcher, you can stop it from there. I had the same issue as you and that's what did the trick for me.

Nice, thank you!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I wasn't really into technology during the RSS/Podcasting boom, and I'm generally pretty curious why it's so essential to people's browsing habits. The few times I've tried to get into it I generally just got annoyed either at Reader's UI or the fact that the articles were truncated anyway so I still had to visit (usually Gawker's) mess of a site.

Basically, what are you all subscribed to that makes Reader so good?

Also an actual app-related question, earlier there was talk of Facebook Messenger being able to display SMS, is this a US only thing?

e:

WastedJoker posted:

Contacts+ is basically amazing.

I don't think I'd trust an app like that with all those permissions. Why would it need "READ SENSITIVE LOG DATA" and "CHANGE/INTERCEPT NETWORK SETTINGS AND TRAFFIC"? :tinfoil:

Geektox fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 15, 2013

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Geektox posted:

I wasn't really into technology during the RSS/Podcasting boom, and I'm generally pretty curious why it's so essential to people's browsing habits. The few times I've tried to get into it I generally just got annoyed either at Reader's UI or the fact that the articles were truncated anyway so I still had to visit (usually Gawker's) mess of a site.

Basically, what are you all subscribed to that makes Reader so good?

If you have a few specific interests, RSS is a great way to keep up with them. For instance, I have a few feeds dedicated to style (Put This On, Dappered, Well Spent), a few for art (but does it float, 50 Watts, Hi Fructose), a tech and gaming blog a piece so I kind of know what's going on in those worlds (The Verge, Polygon), a few pop culture things (Gawker, Mental Floss, io9, AV Club), some general interest articles (Readability Top Reads, Longform) and a few News/commentary related ones (Slate, Salon, Atlantic, New York Times). It allows me to stay current. That isn't to say that I always read everything because that would be ridiculous, but being able to scroll through a few times a day, getting headlines, skimming and reading allows me to be more informed. It's kind of like having a periodical filled entirely with things you kind of or very much give a poo poo about. This YouTube video gives a pretty decent rundown.

To be honest, I was in your shoes until about a year or so ago when I started using RSS, which also happened to be the time I got into podcasts after spending a few years thinking it was kind of a silly medium. I would find it difficult to do without either at this point.

And while we're on the topic, does it kinda bug anyone else that in the wake of all of this, some folks are saying Twitter is a suitable replacement for RSS with what I assume to be a straight face? Maybe I'll pull a 180 one of these days like I did with podcasts, but Twitter just seems kind of awful to me.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

theradiostillsucks posted:

And while we're on the topic, does it kinda bug anyone else that in the wake of all of this, some folks are saying Twitter is a suitable replacement for RSS with what I assume to be a straight face? Maybe I'll pull a 180 one of these days like I did with podcasts, but Twitter just seems kind of awful to me.
Completely agree, twitter feeds (or 'tweets') are not a replacement for RSS.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Geektox posted:

I don't make massive use of it myself, but there seem to be two main uses (people had some advanced sharing and commenting thing going on in Reader too, but that got killed earlier I think).

One way is to basically collect all your interests in one place, so instead of touring all the websites you like to keep up with, you can get them all 'delivered'. Like you say, often you just get an intro or summary, but even then it can be helpful to be able to scan through all the headlines and jump in if something seems interesting.

The other way is similar, but instead of having a regular digest of articles to dip into, you can follow specific blogs or items where you want to see every entry or update. Subscribing to something like Gawker will probably get you hundreds of articles a day, which you're probably happy to ignore a lot of the time, but for other stuff you might want to at least look at every entry (so unread counters are useful) or get notified when an update occurs. So it can be episodic and organisational too.

Plus people often save articles and file them away as well

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Since people seem to be looking for google reader alternatives, I'd suggest NewsBlur.

Unfortunately, they've been swamped since yesterday, and free account creation is temporarily suspended (and those of us who already had free accounts are limited to 12 feeds for now). Seems like it'll be another week or two to fully recover. I switched about 6 months ago, when it was obvious Google was going to abandon Reader.

They have an android app, though its pretty underwhelming at the moment. The website is great though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Press updated with a FAQ about Google killing Reader. Looks like they plan to roll their own backend instead of closing shop. Yay!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If one of them hurries up they could probably cut deals to develop a backend and sell the software or service with an identical API to Google Reader to all the previously-dependent software, rather than everyone scrambling to implement their own. Or codevelop, since they're all doing it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 15, 2013

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Press updated with a FAQ about Google killing Reader. Looks like they plan to roll their own backend instead of closing shop. Yay!

So that makes Feedly, Reeder, and Digging trying to implement something to replace the API

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So in the wake of Reader's demise, someone tell me all the worst things about the current version of Pocket Casts. I've moved to Feedly for my text RSS needs, but Reader was the backend to GoodNews too and I really really liked how great it handled podcasts.

All the other podcast apps are Gingerbread as gently caress and I'm not interested in that at all. Go Holo or go home.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Am I missing something or is it not possible to have the Android Feedly app display oldest first ?

Googling suggests it was an added feature some time ago but I can't for the life of me find it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sendo posted:

Am I missing something or is it not possible to have the Android Feedly app display oldest first ?

Googling suggests it was an added feature some time ago but I can't for the life of me find it.
If you find it let me know. The whole thing seems to have a undiscoverable actions everywhere and I'm disappointed that the UI isn't pure Holo.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

LastInLine posted:

So in the wake of Reader's demise, someone tell me all the worst things about the current version of Pocket Casts. I've moved to Feedly for my text RSS needs, but Reader was the backend to GoodNews too and I really really liked how great it handled podcasts.

All the other podcast apps are Gingerbread as gently caress and I'm not interested in that at all. Go Holo or go home.

Worst things?

Theme is red/white with no theme options.
Auto-downloads have seemed spotty since the big update. A few patches since then have improved it but I've had a few failed downloads overnight.
Settings aren't super-intuitive but once you know where they are it's fine.

Now, keep in mind that I am not picky when it comes to podcatchers. As long as the app can fetch and play the file, I'm happy. I'm far from a "power user".

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Worst things?

Theme is red/white with no theme options.

There is a dark theme as of the update today.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Sendo posted:

There is a dark theme as of the update today.

Hahaha, no poo poo? Awesome. Alright, that's one less con on my list, then!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They also added the "only keep the last X episodes"-feature back.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Pocket Casts got a decent update.

quote:

What's in this version:
- Dark Theme. You drive at night. You podcast in bed. To our dark theme you will be wed.
- Keep setting. You clean at home. You clean at work. Now your phone cleans too, like a clerk.
- Global playback speed. You race on foot. You race in cars. Now you listen faster in bars.
- Start from. Intros are nice. Intros are spiffy. Now you can skip them in a jiffy.
- Giant buttons are back. Skip. Skip.
- So many other things. You talk to us. Occasionally we listen. Now you find out what we be missin'

I love these guys. Even if I hated the app their app verbiage is the best. :3:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
For all ye mourning the loss of Google Reader:

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/13/03/14/0617246/whats-the-best-rss-reader-not-named-google-reader

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maker Of Shoes posted:

While it is kinda silly to have everyone rolling their own, I'm glad that Press will be, at least. If I used podcasts, I'd still be using Good Reader, but Press's UI and faster syncing stole me away as soon as it was released.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Press isn't going to be rolling their own. The popup says:

quote:

• Another Syncing Solution
    • We're already looking into other backend syncing solutions that will provide similar functionality as Google Reader.
    • The ideal solution(s) that we choose will be popular and allow cross-platform support.
    • Many other apps/developers are in the same situation, so there may end up being a consensus in the coming weeks.

They're going to figure out what everybody else is going with and go with that. I really hope whatever solution they end up with overlaps Reeder's, since I use it on my laptop.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Good catch, thanks for pointing that out.

All of this makes me wonder how shaky RSS's future is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Good catch, thanks for pointing that out.

All of this makes me wonder how shaky RSS's future is.

The Verge claims that the death of Google Reader will cause the death of RSS as well considering it's so popular.

Looks like Android Police is wrong again. I've checked and had others check who have never installed Google Reader on any device and the Google Reader app still exists in the Play Store.

• Locked thread