Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I think I understand the concept pretty well of what a "genre film" is but not the antithesis so much. I looked up examples of "films that defy genre" etc. but even the ones listed seem like they could fit somewhat comfortably into a classification of something or another.

Are there any films that defy genre completely or can all films be placed into some category? If not, what are the attributes and characteristics that place a film on the farthest outskirts of all established genres?

Brazil is a tricky one. It's sort of like dystopian sci-fi but there's no indication that it's in "the future", it's a black comedy but with a kind of twisted empathy that the genre usually shuns, it's too absurd to be a drama, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Zogo posted:

I think I understand the concept pretty well of what a "genre film" is but not the antithesis so much. I looked up examples of "films that defy genre" etc. but even the ones listed seem like they could fit somewhat comfortably into a classification of something or another.

Are there any films that defy genre completely or can all films be placed into some category? If not, what are the attributes and characteristics that place a film on the farthest outskirts of all established genres?

How about something like Paul Sharits' T,O,U,C,H,I,N,G?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zogo posted:

"Drama" is an interesting "genre" because all movies could be argued to be dramatic, so movies that don't exhibit any particular genre convention are considered "dramas." In the end, genres exist so that the sheer volume of existing movies can be easily categorized, and genre films are movies made in the name of categorization, rather than movies categorized.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zogo posted:

F is for Fake often get's classified as a documentary, but too much of it is fictional and tells us it's fictional to count.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Does there exist anywhere a timeline listing movies in chronological order that most realistically portray human history?

I've googled for such a thing, but with little luck.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Like, if you wanna see Roman times, watch "Spartacus", and the dark ages, watch...(I don't know), etc? Never seen a chart like that, might be interesting.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Repo Man doesn't fit into a genre.

It's a comedy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zogo posted:

Trash Humpers. I suppose you could file it under Horror-Comedy/Erotic Thriller but still doesn't fit all that well.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 13, 2013

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Hoping I'm not disturbing your repose here. Trying to find a film I saw an ad for in a theater sometime in the past summer. It was apparently about some enterprise set up to let super rich guys battle terrorists for sport. Ring a bell, anybody? Apparently it made about 0 splash. And if you saw it, was it any good, or have any redeeming qualities?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Quick questing regarding The Raid:Redemption

Do they ever reveal exactly why the lieutenant ordered the raid on Tama's highrise?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Esroc posted:

Does there exist anywhere a timeline listing movies in chronological order that most realistically portray human history?

I've googled for such a thing, but with little luck.

You don't need a whole timeline. Mel Brooks has you covered with just a single movie!

Spaceballs!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

effectual posted:

I'm not sure where I'd put "Daisies" 1966.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Repo Man doesn't fit into a genre.

Power of Pecota posted:

Jubilee (1978) is one I don't think compartmentalizes very neatly.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Trash Humpers. I suppose you could file it under Horror-Comedy/Erotic Thriller but still doesn't fit all that well.

I haven't seen any of these. But Repo Man isn't a coming-of-age/bildungsroman?

I suppose some attributes would be:

-atypical characters
-distinctive/unique editing
-unpredictable/completely unconventional stories
-lack of copycat films

Skwirl posted:

F is for Fake often get's classified as a documentary, but too much of it is fictional and tells us it's fictional to count.

Yea, that one was unique in my mind. Although I saw it being compared to Zelig (haven't seen that yet) and Exit Through the Gift Shop. How many films can be similar before a new genre arises?

Glass Joe posted:

How about something like Paul Sharits' T,O,U,C,H,I,N,G?

That one was definitely different when I saw it. I don't know if there are many others like it.

scary ghost dog posted:

"Drama" is an interesting "genre" because all movies could be argued to be dramatic, so movies that don't exhibit any particular genre convention are considered "dramas." In the end, genres exist so that the sheer volume of existing movies can be easily categorized, and genre films are movies made in the name of categorization, rather than movies categorized.

Yea, drama is a catchall. I guess that's one difference. Some filmmakers probably want their films having a convenient label.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Brazil is a tricky one. It's sort of like dystopian sci-fi but there's no indication that it's in "the future", it's a black comedy but with a kind of twisted empathy that the genre usually shuns, it's too absurd to be a drama, etc.

Does dystopian sci-fi have to be in the future though? I thought that one would fit a little with fantasy as well.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

Quick questing regarding The Raid:Redemption

Do they ever reveal exactly why the lieutenant ordered the raid on Tama's highrise?

They have a conversation about it on the stairs leut. was a dirty cop who was trying to take over Tama's territory with supposed blessing of other crime bosses

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

effectual posted:

Like, if you wanna see Roman times, watch "Spartacus", and the dark ages, watch...(I don't know), etc? Never seen a chart like that, might be interesting.
Does Flesh+Blood count as dark ages? Because I vote for that (or Monty Python and the Holy Grail).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I remember back a long time ago I was contemplating the best way to organize my 1,000+ DVD collection. At some point I thought by genre would be a good idea. Seemed simple enough at first thought. House on Haunted Hill is horror - easy. Office Space is comedy - easy. Army of Darkness... Hmmm, I guess I'll put that one between horror and comedy. Brazil... oh poo poo. Four hours later I needed a Valium. Back to alphabetical.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, sorting by genre seems like a nightmare. When you start breaking it down, a surprisingly large amount of films can't neatly fit into any genre. (i.e. Almost every David Lynch film - Horror? Drama? Psychological Thriller? Mystery?)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

David Lynch is his own genre.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For a while I sorted my movies by genre and then sub-ordered within that chronologically by year, as well as my books by author and my comics by publisher.

Now I just don't keep anything in my house sorted at all and get out my obsessive need to organize things at the library.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The obvious answer is to sort them chronologically by the scene taking place earliest in each movie. So start off with like Ice Age; 2001; 10,000 BC; and end with like I, Robot; Planet of the Apes; Dune.

Assume contemporary & non-period/scifi movies take place the year it came out, but account for flashbacks, so if a 20 year old character in a movie from 1976 has a flashback to their first day of school, you'd put it somewhere around 1961.

Something like that. :shepface:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 14, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sort by title, ignoring "A" and "The".

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
But then you end up scattering, like, your Wes Anderson collection all over the shelf. Sort alphabetically by director if you have more than, uh, three films by the same director and what HUNDU said for the rest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
As soon as you start doing the director thing, it just becomes a morass of specialized sorting. Just sort by the drat title and keep a binder or something nearby of special groupings.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I've only got like 20 movies and a bunch of them are things that were given to me (Dream Girls, Hitch) so my organization is basically like a liquor store. Good stuff goes on the top shelf, embarrassing things on the bottom.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Since I remember everything by it's cover art, I sorted all my stuff by color.
I find it instantly and it looks cool on the shelves.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

schwenz posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I truly attempted this once. It's a really, really stupid idea.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

schwenz posted:

I did this once and it was surprisingly effective, visually and practically... aside from the fact that I had a metric ton of black-spined films.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LesterGroans posted:

I did this once and it was surprisingly effective, visually

Yes.

LesterGroans posted:

and practically

No.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Goddamn pinned threads.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 14, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As soon as you start doing the director thing, it just becomes a morass of specialized sorting. Just sort by the drat title and keep a binder or something nearby of special groupings.

I have one special rule and that is sequels are sorted together in order regardless of name. This ends up being pretty easy in practice because few of them don't have the format MOVIE 2: Electric Boogaloo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Esroc posted:

I think that `realistically' (much less `most realistically') is something that sounds plausible when you don't think about it much but gets worse and worse the harder you try to nail it down. Like just trying to conceptualise what the `most realistic' Western is makes my eyes start to twitch. Is Stagecoach (1939) more or less `realistic' than High Noon (1952)? Where's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) fit in there (there's more blood and louder noises, so does that make it more `realistic' despite all the over-the-top stylistic flourishes and the ideological axe it has to grind)? Much less something like the series Deadwood, which evokes a sense of `realism' but which is even more bound within its distinctive mannered stylism than Leone's films are---the characters don't speak like we do so we want to believe they sound the way people in the 1870s did, but the dialect is an entirely fictitious construct devised precisely to sound that way to its target audience and so owes more to the early 21st Century than the late 19th.

And so on and so on. And the same is at least as true of war films, sand and sandal epics, and so forth.

You know how if you look at science fiction from the 1950s, the 1970s, and from around 2000 the far future looks completely different? From 1950 the future looks like ray guns and rocket ships. From 1970 it is a post apocalyptic wasteland or technological dystopia. From 2000 it's all about information technology. Well it turns out that exactly the same thing happens with narrative involving the past. The American West in the middle of the 19th Century looks completely different from the vantage of 1950 than it does from 1970. If you try to look at the difference as divergences from some sort of ideal documentary `truth' (like what you might get if you could send a camera through time to record the era you're interested in, and you're pretending that such a documentary would be `reality') then not only are you merely arbitrating things in terms of the biases embedded in your historical vantage point (whatever they may be, and whether or not you're aware of them), but you're also almost certainly missing the actual meaning of the texts in question---approaching High Noon by evaluating how well it models the `real' American West doesn't scratch the surface of how it actually functions as a narrative, which is very much bound up not in how the West actually was in the 19th Century, but rather how the West is depicted in Hollywood in the 1950s. For example.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Are there any films which are considered to have a fairly accurate portrayal of the 19th century American west? Down to dialogue etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are there any films which are considered to have a fairly accurate portrayal of the 19th century American west? Down to dialogue etc.

Fort Apache was based partly on journals from American cavalry soldiers.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I sort my collection by starting with Alien and putting next to it the movie most similar to it (Sunshine,) and next to that another similar movie (Solaris,) and so on until I get to The Box, which is the end.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do you think there are films which are considered to have an accurate portrayal of early 21st Century American life? Is Tarantino's dialogue `accurate'? Kevin Smith's? Andrew Bujalski's?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SubG posted:

Do you think there are films which are considered to have an accurate portrayal of early 21st Century American life? Is Tarantino's dialogue `accurate'? Kevin Smith's? Andrew Bujalski's?

Ummm well there is this little movie maybe you've heard of it Tiny Furniture?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Follow the Scarecrow method of sorting: auteurs (directors you like and own 4 or more films from), foreign, and then insane micromanaging of subgenres from then on. If it's your only Joe Dante movie, Gremlins goes in "Lil' Bastards" alongside Ghoulies and Critters. Noir, Neo-Noir, and Faux-Noir sections. Keep the Giallos separate from the Euro-Horror.

Or just organize by spine color.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dewey decimal system.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQvOnDlql5g

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Or just organize by spine color.

The only way mine are organized is that box sets go on the ends. This prevents all of my DVDs from turning into a giant domino set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXjCtgiUEu8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't own any physical media any more so I can sort my collection by anything I want by clicking.

I usually just click title...