Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

victrix posted:

Yes, quite a bit of sitting in Com/Rav or Com/Com squishing everything in sight because the game is hilariously easy :v:

I look forward you to your impressions though, if you thought 13 was anime as gently caress, you're in for a treat.

'A YEUL WHO LOVED TO COLLECT FLOWERS! A YEUL WHO DREAMED OF TRAVEL!' is basically the single most anime scene ever written in a Final Fantasy Game, and (as a source for humor) it for owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
"I know his name..."

*pauses*

"NOEL KREISS!" :allears:

I know it gets thrown a lot in this thread, but XIII-2 is the most anime of the FF series. (So far~)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Dross posted:

Yes, Doublecast is the Red Mage Lv.20 ability and takes two slots. It is also the only reason to level a Red Mage, as they are awesome in the early game but by Chapter 4 both their physical and magical competence are very much outclassed and they are a hindrance to your party.

I hate how this always happens to Red Mages, though it's kind of inevitable with having White/Black Mages as classes.

At least Red Mages get to have the best fashion sense out of all mages.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

I hate how this always happens to Red Mages, though it's kind of inevitable with having White/Black Mages as classes.

They added the spellblade series of powers to Red Mage in Dimensions and they aren't terrible but they come way, way too late to really care all that much about them.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Barudak posted:

They added the spellblade series of powers to Red Mage in Dimensions and they aren't terrible but they come way, way too late to really care all that much about them.

And besides, just like Doublecast, they are better used on another job.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually think I might pick up Dimensions with all this talk of it, the initial $30 pricepoint really threw me off on the whole thing and I'm a bit way of SE games these days.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually think I might pick up Dimensions with all this talk of it, the initial $30 pricepoint really threw me off on the whole thing and I'm a bit way of SE games these days.

I'm not sure what it's price is on the App Store, but it's always been 19.99 on Android up until this 50% off sale. It's worth it alone for the part(s) with Bikke.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MarsDragon posted:

XI did it right, give the red mages something that neither white nor black get but that both would kill to have (Thinking of Refresh back in the 75-cap days, I quit before they raised it again but I assume there's a Refresh II nowadays) and then let them be a support role that can emulate a passable white/black mage but really shines at doing something completely different.

...which is basically impossible to pull off in a traditional FF, so I can't say I'm surprised. The hats really do go a long way towards making up for it.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

MarsDragon posted:

I'm of the opinion Double Cast rather than be a red mage support ability should just be an innate feature of red magic.
I have weaker but more versatile magic becomes much more profound when you get x2 spells a round and can actually use that versatility.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I'm of the opinion Double Cast rather than be a red mage support ability should just be an innate feature of red magic.
I have weaker but more versatile magic becomes much more profound when you get x2 spells a round and can actually use that versatility.

I think that's a great idea. Like in FF5, during the last Four Job Fiesta my only magic class was Red Mage, and his crappy magic variety was made up by Dualcast. Casting Protect in two rounds was handy, and two L2 spells in a row is kinda close to a L3 spell. It's still not a great job without other magic classes to make use of Dualcast, but on its own at least Red Mage can be vaguely comparable to a White or Black Mage, making it up with versatility and a decent physical presence for what it loses in powerful spells and having a weaker magic score.

Of course, in FF5 you can just give a Freelancer L6 Black and White magic and simply make a much better Red Mage.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

XI did it right, give the red mages something that neither white nor black get but that both would kill to have (Thinking of Refresh back in the 75-cap days, I quit before they raised it again but I assume there's a Refresh II nowadays) and then let them be a support role that can emulate a passable white/black mage but really shines at doing something completely different.

Oh my god do not log back in to 11 right now or you will collapse into eternal despair.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Shaezerus posted:

Oh my god do not log back in to 11 right now or you will collapse into eternal despair.

It's a shame, really.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
It could be an interesting dynamic for Red Mages and Dualcast if the ability allowed them to use two spells in one turn, with the condition that one had to be black magic and one had to be white. That way, instead of Dualcast being the "Make White/Black Magic Better" ability, it would be used for weird esoteric turns of simultaneous offense and defense.

Or it would just be used for Flare and Holy, I guess.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know there are a couple of FF11 players in this thread, anyone paying attention to FF14 and how the reboot is going? I kind of want to see how it turns out but I'm also not going to pay $60+Subscription fee in 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

I know there are a couple of FF11 players in this thread, anyone paying attention to FF14 and how the reboot is going? I kind of want to see how it turns out but I'm also not going to pay $60+Subscription fee in 2013

There's a whole thread for it, featuring several beta participants.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

It's in beta right now and it seems like it's being received better than 1.0 XIV.

Then again a dog making GBS threads on your dinner would be better received than 1.0.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

... This actually looks good. Oh well maybe work will tell me to stay at home to play MMOs for a living while they pay my salary and I'll have time for it~

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

I can't really say much about it but currently there isn't much to say, right now. Phase 1 Beta is just making sure the drat game works, which has met with... limited measures of success. It's very pretty though. :allears:

Certainly better than launch-14, but even the sharp stick in the eye looks tempting when compared to that loving thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

14 launch was useful to determine who in my group of friends had no taste in internet video games, and that I should ignore everything they said about that particular genre for all time

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Shaezerus posted:

Certainly better than launch-14, but even the sharp stick in the eye looks tempting when compared to that loving thing.

New thread topic: Things that are better than FF14 v1.0

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is better than XIV 1.0.

Actually that could just be the forum title really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I won't let anyone talk about XIV 1.0 in the past tense!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

It's a pretty good WoW clone. If you like WoW clones you will probably like 14. If you don't like WoW clones you won't. I am excited for it though!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

I won't let anyone talk about XIV 1.0 in the past tense!

Then you'll love the official forums for it! Stockholm Syndrome at it's finest from what I know of 1.0.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

The GIG posted:

Then you'll love the official forums for it! Stockholm Syndrome at it's finest from what I know of 1.0.

I think I saw an "ARR will fail if we do not implement 1.0's battle system" thread in there, at one point.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

It's a pretty good WoW clone. If you like WoW clones you will probably like 14. If you don't like WoW clones you won't. I am excited for it though!

A masamune is often harder on the woman than on the man.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Heh, I finally got to play Ninja in FF:D - JL 10 with Backliner plus HP/STR +20%, combined with Level 66 and climbing, just cuts through everything like a buzzsaw. I'm seriously contemplating making my JL 20 Monk one as well and just laughing up to the end.

On the light side, I finally got Paladin, and promptly mixed it and JL 15 Warrior to get Mighty Wall. I will never fear bosses ever again.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 15, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some minor thing that's going round the place, just thought I'd share. The fashion designer that worked on FF XIII Versus is apparently listing it as FF15.

It's apparently been that way since last June. Typographical gently caress up or not, Versus has been seven Years in development.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It really wouldn't surprise me, I've always thought that its status as a spin-off game seemed a bit weird since it's entirely original and appears to be nothing like XIII.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
They can call it FF: Trinus ut Hawaii if they want, I honestly don't give a crap anymore until I see the drat game on my shelf.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm thinking they're going to rename it something odd like Final Fantasy XVersus. It would be in line with recent games like All The Bravest, and that AC BC CC DC thing they had going on with the Final Fantasy VII compilation.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MarsDragon posted:

They're pretty great in FFXII International. They get a wide variety of magic, notably the first incarnation of the class since FF1 to be able to cast -ga level spells. Their melee ability is good, being able to use shields and have maces (Which uses the Magic stat for damage) as their weapon of choice. They also are the only class able to cast Arcane magic.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
They probably planned their Final Fantasy XV release for next gen consoles. When it was going to be released in the same window as XIII, it made sense to keep the XIII branding.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I finally made it to Chapter 3 of Dimensions and despite at first glance looking like a cheap cash-in RPG Maker title, it actually puts forth effort. It's very reference heavy in that nearly every character or situation you run across is a person or a shoutout from a previous game but it works together in the episodic chunks the game feeds you. I love the job system too. It's familiar but slightly different and gives me that same feeling of just wanting to grind them out to see what combos I can put together. It's not terribly difficult but can be in spots. The music is nice too!

I guess I'm at about the halfway point now? I'm back to Team Light and I think I'm going to make my party healer a Bard to get the Fusion skills later down the tree. I don't have a great picture of who should be what so I'm primarly focusing on one class per character. I've read that Thief is important but I have one Thief between two parties. I hope that doesn't hurt me later.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

They're pretty great in FFXII International. They get a wide variety of magic, notably the first incarnation of the class since FF1 to be able to cast -ga level spells. Their melee ability is good, being able to use shields and have maces (Which uses the Magic stat for damage) as their weapon of choice. They also are the only class able to cast Arcane magic.

The only problem with Red Mages in FF12 is that they don't have any panache (seriously, why no rapiers?), and as we all know, panache is the most important stat for a Red Mage.

Balthier kind of makes up for the panache deficit but it's really not enough.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Paperhouse posted:

It really wouldn't surprise me, I've always thought that its status as a spin-off game seemed a bit weird since it's entirely original and appears to be nothing like XIII.

It's not entirely original -- they share the same mythos and Gods.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's apparently been that way since last June. Typographical gently caress up or not, Versus has been seven Years in development.

That means it's gonna be like three-and-a-half times better than the original FF7, right? ... Right? :smith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

That means it's gonna be like three-and-a-half times better than the original FF7, right? ... Right? :smith:

They haven't made a game better than FF7 since FF Tactics.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They haven't made a game better than FF7 since FF Tactics.

9 and 12 would like a word with you. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

9 and 12 would like a word with you. :colbert:

I love both games. For the gameplay. 12 was the single best evolution Final Fantasy has seen, but they've made one point clear since FFIV: These are storylines with gaming aspects considered second. And they haven't written a better story since VII (Tactics).