Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSoeSscFZX0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
You hear what I said, Ton'? I asked him if he remembered his first blowjob, then I asked how long it took the guy to come.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I didn't remember it sounding as bad as it does.

I've also been enjoying seeing Steve van Zandt in Lilyhammer

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Scott Bakula posted:

I didn't remember it sounding as bad as it does.

I've also been enjoying seeing Steve van Zandt in Lilyhammer

Yeah me either. In my head I remembered it as a bunch of cracks about just Vito with Carlo/Sil taking Dom out (despite wanting Vito dead earlier) cause Vito was their family and its their honor he's trashing. That element is still there, but man there was no way that guy would have ever walked out of there after that second crack about Carlo being gay.

Love how it carries that same tension of the Billy Bats scene in Goodfellas; such a great job at being one of those semi-spontaneous "we probably shouldn't do it, but gently caress this guy" murders that's bound to happen among ruthless killers that get off on making each other eat poo poo.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a reason why Tony seems to be the richest person in his family? He starts the series as a Captain, but his house is huge and he still has his boats etc. Jackie Aprile was a boss, but he has a much smaller house. None of the other Captains in the series seem to be doing as well as he is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Is there a reason why Tony seems to be the richest person in his family? He starts the series as a Captain, but his house is huge and he still has his boats etc. Jackie Aprile was a boss, but he has a much smaller house. None of the other Captains in the series seem to be doing as well as he is.

From what I can recall, there are comments made about how Tony was basically the Family's best earner (kind of like Ralph), plus his dad and Junior were big shots as well. Tony had plenty of legitimate fronts to warrant having the house, and wanted something a bit flashier/showier than the home he grew up in, whereas people like Junior preferred to keep a lower profile.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The house was built by Carmelas father so who knows how much they had to actually put up for it. Jackie was only acting boss for DiMeo(whos in prison) for a few years until he died. I guess we're supposed to infer that once Jackie died whatever connection and money DiMeo had getting kicked up to him by his outside guys was probably gone once Tony took over. Also Johnny boy probably left him a sizable chunk.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Tony was head of the Soprano crew. I am not sure how well Jackie's crew was. Tony also seemed to take the bigger risks and also had the garbage business and access to councilmen. Most the other crews just had drug dealers, pimps and bookies.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bonzo posted:

Tony was head of the Soprano crew. I am not sure how well Jackie's crew was. Tony also seemed to take the bigger risks and also had the garbage business and access to councilmen. Most the other crews just had drug dealers, pimps and bookies.

I thought drug dealing was prohibited?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

escape artist posted:

I thought drug dealing was prohibited?

Well Tony just told Jr. not to have Ritchie sell in on the garbage route. He never said don't do it. I can't remember him telling anyone not to.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Well Tony just told Jr. not to have Ritchie sell in on the garbage route. He never said don't do it. I can't remember him telling anyone not to.

There's also Big Pussy who was dealing H but Tony/Jackie warned him about how risky that was, not against doing it.
Chris also had that one drug dealer kicking up to him in season 1, who Junior's crew tried to take over.
Vito came back wanting to relocate to Miami for the crew/his safety so he could run girls and meth.
And Carlo's kid (maybe Patsi's too) pushing a bunch of X, alongside their gambling action.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It is definitely a thing they don't really like, presumably because it gets too much attention from the police.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I think I misremembered it from The Godfather or Goodfellas.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

escape artist posted:

I think I misremembered it from The Godfather or Goodfellas.

I think it was a contrast between the 'old school' guys (who were apparently very anti-drug) and the newer guys (who didn't have such compunctions.

I want to say there was a scene where Junior was agonizing over selling drugs and eventually ended up doing so because he was in a tight spot financially. May even be related to that garbage trucks storyline and why Junior kept encouraging Jackie to keep selling -- he needed the money.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Perdido posted:

I think it was a contrast between the 'old school' guys (who were apparently very anti-drug) and the newer guys (who didn't have such compunctions.

I want to say there was a scene where Junior was agonizing over selling drugs and eventually ended up doing so because he was in a tight spot financially. May even be related to that garbage trucks storyline and why Junior kept encouraging Jackie to keep selling -- he needed the money.

Junior was working with Richie for sure. He needed it for his legal defense.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Jhonny sack seemed to parallel Tony as far as that goes and he had the big house and picked up the Italian sports car shortly after making Don. I always assumed as soon as Jackie dies everyone kicked up to Tony which made him go from house poor to gangsta rich.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Watching The Happy Wanderer right now. It never gets old, still as great as the first time I saw it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Watching The Happy Wanderer right now. It never gets old, still as great as the first time I saw it.

Poor T-1000 :(

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

haljordan posted:

Poor T-1000 :(

No bitch to me

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Man, I'd say I have an encyclopedia knowledge of The Sopranos, except today I got linked a video of Silvio strangling that guy who wanted him to turn on Tony and help out New York in the episode "Blue Comet." For the first time I realized that NY guy he strangled was Carlo's cousin who got his button a few seasons earlier.

So in "Made In America" when Carlo flips, it probably wasn't just his son getting pinched but also the FBI filling his ear with tales of how Tony had his cousin whacked X weeks earlier. After all this time I'm still finding out new little plot intricacies.

Perdido posted:

Not directly related but relevant to the conversation, there's also the time Junior recounted the tale of Lou DiMaggio and his brothers--that group of 70/80 year old hitmen who in their prime worked as part of a crew run by a Capo that was strictly anti-drug while everyone else was getting rich moving heroin, so they stuck to hits, extortion, sharking---until the day their boss was busted for heroin trafficking partnered up with some black gangs. The vicious way they whacked him with baseball bats gave them the nickname DiMaggio, and cause for anyone to be afraid of even mention drugs around them.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Not directly related but relevant to the conversation, there's also the time Junior recounted the tale of Lou DiMaggio and his brothers--that group of 70/80 year old hitmen who in their prime worked as part of a crew run by a Capo that was strictly anti-drug while everyone else was getting rich moving heroin, so they stuck to hits, extortion, sharking---until the day their boss was busted for heroin trafficking partnered up with some black gangs. The vicious way they whacked him with baseball bats gave them the nickname DiMaggio, and cause for anyone to be afraid of even mention drugs around them.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking of when I was talking about the older mafiosos being really anti drug.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Also I think in the episode where Tony gets food poisoning (I could be wrong about that though), he has a flashback to a meeting with Big Pussy and Jackie Sr. Big Pussy is bitching about having to send his kid to college and Jackie actually says he'll give him money so he doesn't have to resort to pushing drugs. If you get caught with some stolen goods you're not that hosed but if they catch you moving drugs it's basically a life sentence (or at least 30 years).

edit: Actually that might have been from the episode "...To Save Us All from Satan's Power" (Season 3).

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 15, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
The food poisoning episode is one of the worst since the fart sounds used for Tony's indigestion are unbelievably common stock sound.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

juche mane posted:

The food poisoning episode is one of the worst since the fart sounds used for Tony's indigestion are unbelievably common stock sound.

That makes me laugh every time. Also the bit where AJ/Meadow/Carmella are all stood in the hallway and all you hear are terrible fart sound effects, followed by AJ saying "Who's letting off them big ones? :downs:".

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Isn't that the same episode where Pussy is whacked? That episode rules

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Yeah the food poisoning episode is one of the best they ever did, no matter what sound effects were used for farting.

EDIT: There's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

kippa posted:

That makes me laugh every time. Also the bit where AJ/Meadow/Carmella are all stood in the hallway and all you hear are terrible fart sound effects, followed by AJ saying "Who's letting off them big ones? :downs:".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nh_8s9Sa64&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I don't think anyone in the family had any gripes with drug dealing, except for when it was being done in one of their "legit" businesses (the reason they kicked Jackie Jr's guy out of Chris' club for selling X)

Now that I think about it, why was Pussy personally moving Heroin? shouldn't he have had someone under him do the actual deals?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He was probably moving large quantities of it and the guys under him got caught and gave him up. I don't think he was actually standing on a corner selling it.

Also hes basically just a soldier. You really dont get to totally insulate yourself from illegal stuff unless youre a boss.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 15, 2013

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

He was probably moving large quantities of it and the guys under him got caught and gave him up. I don't think he was actually standing on a corner selling it.

Also hes basically just a soldier. You really dont get to totally insulate yourself from illegal stuff unless youre a boss.

I was speaking off this deleted scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkI3lrSIfM

Then again its not canon so it doesn't really count.

Plus with that much money changing hands, I guess he'd want to be doing it himself instead of some mook

the culminator fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 15, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

the culminator posted:

I was speaking off this deleted scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkI3lrSIfM

Holy poo poo, I feel like I just found a Christmas present from 10 years ago tucked away somewhere. Thank you for showing me that!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

the culminator posted:

Plus with that much money changing hands, I guess he'd want to be doing it himself instead of some mook

Oh wow, I can't believe they cut that, that's great.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

Oh wow, I can't believe they cut that, that's great.

Yeah. Same thought here. Imagine that as a flashback, either late in Season 2 or earlier in Season 3. Reminded me of the flashback they showed when Chris tells Tony about Adrianna.

They just need to release a DVD of The Sopranos: The Cutting-Room Floor

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

escape artist posted:

Yeah. Same thought here. Imagine that as a flashback, either late in Season 2 or earlier in Season 3. Reminded me of the flashback they showed when Chris tells Tony about Adrianna.

They just need to release a DVD of The Sopranos: The Cutting-Room Floor

Better be four hours worth of takes of Paulie doing the "FUCKIN' QUEERS" line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

haljordan posted:

Better be four hours worth of takes of Paulie doing the "FUCKIN' QUEERS" line.

With Ralphie screaming,"SHE WAS A HOO-ER!" spliced in every so often.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I never knew really anything about this show until I marathoned every episode a few months ago. The plots are awful, the characters can be retarded, and it's so pretentiously ~~arty~~ at times that I want to puke, but I can't help but love it. I don't know what it is. It's probably the Paulie 2 finger point. I've tried to incorporate that into my life but I just can't pull it off.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Through that I found some more deleted scenes. Man, I miss these guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yyhbplzs8g

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ishamael posted:

Through that I found some more deleted scenes. Man, I miss these guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yyhbplzs8g

Holy poo poo, Tony spotting the sign about the Lowenbrau being on special. Oh Paulie :swoon:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, Tony spotting the sign about the Lowenbrau being on special. Oh Paulie :swoon:

That and Tony saying he needs to eat something healthy and takes the fish sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bonzo posted:

That and Tony saying he needs to eat something healthy and takes the fish sticks

And makes a point of grabbing a bunch of Oreos at the end as well :laugh:

• Locked thread