Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

SKULE123 posted:

What were the digs at PFT like? I know I should be listening to the Best Show.

When Tom dared callers that he could do an impression of everyone, someone called for him to do PFT and was immediately hung up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I've heard Tom refer a couple of times to "The comic who shall not be named," which I assume is PFT.

Also, I don't think Tom making fun of "the same comedians being on every podcast" is meant to be a dig against PFT, it's just another part of his "cranky old man" shtick. And I really want to hear the full recorded version of "LA Podcast."

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I don't know if anyone else here listens to The 40 Year Old Boy, but the latest episode.....oh man. I often have to stop listening to an episode of a podcast at work because I'm having trouble stifling my laughter, but this is the first time I've had to stop to prevent myself from weeping like a child.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I was about to post a "Hey what are you guys going to use for RSS now that google reader is shutting down?" post, but then I realized there's probably already a thread about it in SH/SC and sure enough, there is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538300

I haven't read it yet but knowing SH/SC, I assume it will have plenty of suggestions/opinions on alternatives readers to use.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Binowru posted:

I've heard Tom refer a couple of times to "The comic who shall not be named," which I assume is PFT.

Also, I don't think Tom making fun of "the same comedians being on every podcast" is meant to be a dig against PFT, it's just another part of his "cranky old man" shtick. And I really want to hear the full recorded version of "LA Podcast."

Is it really a "shtick"? I haven't listened to a ton of The Best Show, but part of the reason I haven't is because he seems like a legitimately obnoxious person who has a real cult of personality around him. Sorta reminds me of Adam Carolla with less ignorant political opinions.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

Is it really a "shtick"? I haven't listened to a ton of The Best Show, but part of the reason I haven't is because he seems like a legitimately obnoxious person who has a real cult of personality around him. Sorta reminds me of Adam Carolla with less ignorant political opinions.

Yeah, you can really tell the difference when you hear him on other shows. Check out some of the shows he's done with Marc Maron, etc. That said, obviously the persona is a big part of the show, so if it doesn't agree with you then you probably won't be a fan.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Bunk posted:

Yeah, you can really tell the difference when you hear him on other shows. Check out some of the shows he's done with Marc Maron, etc. That said, obviously the persona is a big part of the show, so if it doesn't agree with you then you probably won't be a fan.

Really? I guess at a glance from Youtube comments and the FoT forums it seemed like his fans take what he says on The Best Show 100% seriously.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I enjoyed PFT making fun of Juggalos, and the John Hodgman Four Loko parties, and Tom's Garrison Keillor riffing, but for the most part I think The Best Show just isn't for me.

Speaking of Hodgman, this week's Judge John Hodgman tries to figure out if the defendant is a hipster, which I always feel is a highpoint of the show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nemo posted:

Speaking of Hodgman, this week's Judge John Hodgman tries to figure out if the defendant is a hipster, which I always feel is a highpoint of the show.

JJH is kinda a hit or miss thing for me but its hits are usually pretty great. This was one of them, Hodgman just trying to figure out of these people are loving serious or not is always fun.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
As a Canadian, the prospect of hockey as a hipster litmus test was befuddling - but definitely one of my favourite episodes of that show.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Beeez posted:

Really? I guess at a glance from Youtube comments and the FoT forums it seemed like his fans take what he says on The Best Show 100% seriously.

Plenty of FoTs are stupid. We even have people in The Best Show thread buy into it when he threatens to quit.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

tnimark posted:

I don't know if anyone else here listens to The 40 Year Old Boy, but the latest episode.....oh man. I often have to stop listening to an episode of a podcast at work because I'm having trouble stifling my laughter, but this is the first time I've had to stop to prevent myself from weeping like a child.
I expect the live show in Portland to either be the most brutal thing I'll ever see, or the venue will collapse on itself from the sadness contained within.

Considering The 40 Year Old Boy and a pre-breakup/hiatus Walking the Room signed up before poo poo went down on both ends, this year's Bridgetown Comedy Festival is gearing up to be the most awkward festival in history.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Could you sum up what happened to Schmidt?

edit thanks yeesh :/

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 16, 2013

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Brock Samson posted:

Could you sum up what happened to Schmidt?

I probably don't need to spoiler tag it, but just in case:

He began the episode by saying that it was 20 years to the day that he met his wife and spent the next 2 hours telling the story of how they met and detailing the ups and downs of their entire relationship. I just though he was doing a sort of love letter episode to his wife, but after finishing the story he dropped the bomb that their marriage ended the previous day. His wife called him while he was out of town and told him she wouldn't be there when he got back.

Obviously anyone who has listened to the show a lot would not be completely surprised that their marriage didn't last and he totally acknowledges that it's his fault and he kinda treated her like garbage a lot of the time. But the man is so goddamn good at telling a story that when he gets to the reveal it was like a punch to the guts.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

tnimark posted:

I'm giving it a try thanks to your recommendation, but I'm 15 minutes in and so far it's difficult listening. He just talks so drat fast it sounds like he's having a manic episode. And I'm finding the female Ed McMahon laughing and whooping in the background to be pretty annoying.

It's sounds like the bizarro world Pod F. Tompcast. I feel like he's going to give me a seizure.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm giving it a try thanks to your recommendation, but I'm 15 minutes in and so far it's difficult listening. He just talks so drat fast it sounds like he's having a manic episode.
That's Mike Schmidt. Jump on board, it's always a carnival fun house ride of emotional pain (Or physical pain if you can track down episode 36 of year four).

Would it really throw you off if I said he reeled it in on the latest episode in terms of mania?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

caligulamprey posted:

That's Mike Schmidt. Jump on board, it's always a carnival fun house ride of emotional pain (Or physical pain if you can track down episode 36 of year four).

Would it really throw you off if I said he reeled it in on the latest episode in terms of mania?

Yeah, not for me. But we can't all share the same tastes. I have almost all of Stop Podcasting Yourself's catalog to get through anyway.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Just posted a new episode of Lou Reads.

http://loureads.com/2013/03/18/lou-reads-from-the-forums-of-darkfetish-net-home-of-the-cannibal-cop-and-friends/

Everyone likes hearing about erotically choking your loved ones out, right? Right?!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Jesus Christ, Lou. I thought your Cum on Food episode was bleak... I don't know if I can make it through this current one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

King Lou posted:

Just posted a new episode of Lou Reads.

http://loureads.com/2013/03/18/lou-reads-from-the-forums-of-darkfetish-net-home-of-the-cannibal-cop-and-friends/

Everyone likes hearing about erotically choking your loved ones out, right? Right?!

I've listened to just about every episode of your podcast and I think that was maybe the worst forum you've ever read from. It was a great episode but maybe one of the only ones where I've actually wanted to stop listening half way through. (Though I couldn't stop laughing at the idea of using boobs as a speedbag)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I wondered if it was too harsh. I even warned people on my Facebook page that it was pretty awful a week out as I was recording it. It's pretty amazingly terrible, for sure.

Oddly, I didn't hesitate reading it. Where as I have had a really hard time reading from some of the more outrageously racist forums I've come across. For some stupid reason I have this weird fear that someone is going to make a Soundboard out of my racism and plague me with it. Someone in the SA CoD crew did that once while we were playing. Imagine playing xbox live and hearing snippets of horrible Fetlife discussions being read in the lobby. It was funny to me but most people were grossed out.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 20, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The last episode of The Bone Zone has Johnny Pemberton on, he's a guy who's been on a couple times before and they're hilarious together. They call a Pier 1 towards the end of the show and I was just about convulsing I was laughing so hard. It's one of their shorter episodes, they peaked so hard with that they just decided to call it a show.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So Dane Cook is on You Made It Weird. This will be interesting or horrible.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He was actually good on WTF, it was made really obvious that he's the polar opposite of Carlos Mencia.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I liked it. I was a little surprised by the stuff that Pete didn't touch, namely that incident with TJ Miller, but I guess he wanted to keep the vibe from getting too confrontational or w/e

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What incident between TJ Miller and Dane Cook is this? I'm curious!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

What incident between TJ Miller and Dane Cook is this? I'm curious!

They talked about it on TJ's episode of YMIW, so you should listen to that if you want the exact details instead of my probably incorrect summary of it.

Dane Cook showed up at some comedy club TJ was doing a show at, and the management bumped everyone so that Cook could go on. The crowd didn't like or didn't respond to Cook's material in the way he wanted them to, so he yelled at them for an hour and was generally a dick, as he is wont to do. Miller called him out on Twitter for wasting everybody's time, and then Cook went on some radio show (I forget which one) where he and the host just talked poo poo about him.

I think there was some internet backlash against Miller too even though he was pretty fair and levelheaded in his complaint, because he apparently should just be grateful to even be in Dane Cook's presence.

Basically Dane Cook is a dick and everybody except TJ Miller seemed fine with that.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Dane Cook TJ Miller beef that I remember was at Meltdown. Cook was working on new material and told a joke around the words "chainsaw loving". Miller decided to write some blog calling Cook sexist etc for it. This was right after that whole incident with Patton and the open mic'er so people seemed to still have a bad opinion of blog take downs at that moment.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

then Cook went on some radio show (I forget which one) where he and the host just talked poo poo about him.
I think it was Joe Rogan's show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Dane Cook TJ Miller beef that I remember was at Meltdown. Cook was working on new material and told a joke around the words "chainsaw loving". Miller decided to write some blog calling Cook sexist etc for it. This was right after that whole incident with Patton and the open mic'er so people seemed to still have a bad opinion of blog take downs at that moment.

I just started listening to the TJ Miller ep of YMIW that I referred to and he says it was at the Laugh Factory, so it must've been different incidents.

Also it was apparently Joe Rogan's podcast that Dane Cook went on to talk poo poo about Miller. They kept saying Miller was just mad he got bumped, but he wasn't - he was mad that Dane Cook was doing material that made the audience uncomfortable and yelling at them for not liking it when they hadn't even shown up to see him. And Miller had to go up right after him and deal with that audience.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Really enjoying Johnny Pemberton's Twisting The Wind - psychedelic music discoveries each episode along with interesting related history / tidbits on the bands ...

Also love his Slow-played crank calls, and great guests ... Check it out.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'd be happy to listen to a podcast with Megan Ganz but seriously Pete Holmes, 3.5 hours is loving ridiculous :cmon:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I don't get everyone's complaints over longer podcasts. It's not like you can't consume an hour of it and then turn it off, either to continue later or to never pick up listening to again. I am never of the opinion that a podcast I LIKE needs to be shorter, especially when, for instance, Nerdist or WTF are doing a live show with a ton of comics, it sucks because it's an hour of concentrated funny that feels like it ends too quickly. When there's a good guest, it blows to have things end at 75 minutes on the dot because of an artificial limit being imposed fairly strictly, especially when that person's not likely to return again. Kinda sucks. :(

Besides, it's a free podcast!

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

I don't get everyone's complaints over longer podcasts. It's not like you can't consume an hour of it and then turn it off, either to continue later or to never pick up listening to again. I am never of the opinion that a podcast I LIKE needs to be shorter, especially when, for instance, Nerdist or WTF are doing a live show with a ton of comics, it sucks because it's an hour of concentrated funny that feels like it ends too quickly. When there's a good guest, it blows to have things end at 75 minutes on the dot because of an artificial limit being imposed fairly strictly, especially when that person's not likely to return again. Kinda sucks. :(

Besides, it's a free podcast!

I agree to some extent, but these days if Pete passes the three-hour mark, you can bet your rear end it's because he goes into another jucing / Eckhart Tolle / evo-psych / thicker milkshake / whatever tangent that he already went over with another guest.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

3 hours would fine if Pete ever discussed something new. I feel like he's slowly turning into Hamburger or Shucky Ducky with all his forced catchphrases and laughter.

People can talk poo poo about Dane Cook's stage persona and act all they want, but at least he isn't like that in conversation. Pete is Dane Cook's act personified.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I've only listened to four or five episodes, and I've already heard several of the same stories. Also, someone should make a list of all of the people and things he's never heard of it - it's pretty incredible.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I've been listening to Garlin's podcast. If you think he's annoying, this won't change your mind. But he gets great guests from outside of the normal podcast circles, and he gets great stories out of them.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Guys. It's a free podcast. C'MON!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dancing Potato posted:

I agree to some extent, but these days if Pete passes the three-hour mark, you can bet your rear end it's because he goes into another jucing / Eckhart Tolle / evo-psych / thicker milkshake / whatever tangent that he already went over with another guest.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

3 hours would fine if Pete ever discussed something new. I feel like he's slowly turning into Hamburger or Shucky Ducky with all his forced catchphrases and laughter.

Bingo. I don't have a problem with long podcasts necessarily, just sick of Pete trying to break the length record every episode, and doing it with the same stories/tangents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Why keeping podcast subscriptions for presumably dead podcasts can pay off: the Maniacal Rage Podcast has updated for the first time in FOUR YEARS. It used to be one of my favorite comedy podcasts back in 2007, which seems like forever ago.

• Locked thread