Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
The four part Bad Company movie saga should cement Tim as a CBB legend.

"I just got a text from Tom. It just says: 'rasta man'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anyone know what the lineup was for the other SXSW show that they mentioned would be released Thursday?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Outside of the not playing Would You Rather thing, I thought Tim was funny - the diaper and snuff film bits worked for me.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah, I thought he was funny too. At least partially because he seemed like he was enjoying himself instead of trying his hardest to seem bored and ambivalent.

Also he didn't really come in with a premise, he just came in as a regular guest. Some of his bits have been funny, but they all have basically the same premise. It gets old. He's always the funniest to me when he just drops the premise, like doing Star Trek impressions and then getting angry at the others for doing them, and the George Burns thing from the last time he was on.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Outside of the not playing Would You Rather thing, I thought Tim was funny - the diaper and snuff film bits worked for me.

Yeah he wasn't really doing his 'anti-comedy' thing until he refused to participate in WYR, which was only like the last 20 mins of the podcast. Before that he was just riffing and being funny.

Even the WYR thing created a hilarious moment: Scott's reaction after he asked the crowd to applaud if they enjoyed listening to him argue with Tim and they responded with absolute silence.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

tnimark posted:

Yeah he wasn't really doing his 'anti-comedy' thing until he refused to participate in WYR, which was only like the last 20 mins of the podcast. Before that he was just riffing and being funny.

Even the WYR thing created a hilarious moment: Scott's reaction after he asked the crowd to applaud if they enjoyed listening to him argue with Tim and they responded with absolute silence.

Yeah that was great. You'd think at least one person would clap, but nope. Utter silence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching the JASH video on Google YouTube made me realise something I'd not noticed before - if you shaved Reggie Watts' head but kept the beard, it's actually Brett Gelman under there the whole time. What a ruse.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Power of Pecota posted:

I did forget about the Jish/snuff film business stuff, that was really funny. His complete stonewalling and the way he shot down other peoples' questions/jokes during WYR rubbed me the wrong way though.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
I've always been a Tim Heidecker fan. He's not always at his funniest on CBB. I thought this was one of his better overall appearances. I definitely would have preferred him to participate in the WYR though, I'm sure he could think of some hilarious questions to ask. I thought Michael Cera was surprisingly funny. I've always thought he was a funny actor but didn't know he was so good on his feet. I did think he was really funny on the CBB tv episode he was on. Reggie was pretty quiet as usual which I always find surprising for a guy that improvises all his live comedy performances. He did seem more engaged than usual though. It was probably just the number of guests and Tim taking the head that caused Reggie to not say that much.

I though it was mean when Tim told Scott he is no Reggie Watts when Scott was beat boxing but I honestly agree with the remark (Obviously Reggie is world's better but Scott has been beat boxing a lot on the show recently and I don't find it funny because he isn't good at it and it seems out of place for him to be doing it)

Kymera fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 12, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I don't think anybody, including Scott, is taking the beatbox as anything else as a bit. Which makes sense for Tim to then call out when he's in his ~anti-comedy mode~ and shutdown.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

I find it a little odd everyone's commenting on Heidecker, and not on Sarah Silverman totally bombing it. I felt so bad for her because she was obviously into it, but drat, just not her night I guess.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The crowd did seem kind of flat for the live SX episode. This is pure conjecture here but it does seem like the comedy side of SXSW has blown up the last couple years and a lot of these things are now basically badge only admittance. Again pure conjecture but when I was down there the a couple years ago a lot of the comedy stuff was free/no badge needed. Priority was sometimes given to badge holders but I went to a WTF show, a Doug Loves Movies, and some other stuff all for free. Maybe with badge only stuff its just people kind of wandering in? I don't know. It just seemed like the crowd from the get go wasn't on board as acknowledged by Scott's own "that's how i like to start things off, with tepid laughs" comment.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Christ. No one even laughed at my wife!!! drat these sxsw heathens.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Heidecker is a pretty funny writer and actor and comedian but he's not a great improviser and at the SXSW show he was constantly mugging to the rest of JASH like "did you like that joke? heh heh i'm clever."

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Tegan and Sankara posted:

I find it a little odd everyone's commenting on Heidecker, and not on Sarah Silverman totally bombing it. I felt so bad for her because she was obviously into it, but drat, just not her night I guess.

I thought she was great. Making a dumb "in bed" joke and then high fiving everyone in the room was the highlight of the show for me.

Also re: the audience, it seemed like a pretty small crowd and I doubt they were mic'd, so I'm not sure it's safe to assume they weren't into it.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I doubt they were mic'd

Yeah that's often the case with live show recordings. If the crowd aren't mic'd then they always sound unresponsive.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I also doubt the crowd was mic'd but you can hear when there is decent laughter. It was at Esther's Follies right? that place can hold a good amount of people. Either way I thought the episode was fine. I went back and listened to the Galifinakis/Daly episode though. Man, those RHCP riffs were loving amazing.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

soggybagel posted:

I also doubt the crowd was mic'd but you can hear when there is decent laughter. It was at Esther's Follies right? that place can hold a good amount of people. Either way I thought the episode was fine. I went back and listened to the Galifinakis/Daly episode though. Man, those RHCP riffs were loving amazing.
The best part of that episode is how disappointed I was when Daly was playing himself, then immediately relieved when he started talking about The Peppermen.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
If I understood Brody Stevens on You Made It Weird (he referred to a show "over there" after talking about Scott Aukerman and having to play a character) he recorded an episode that never aired because it got "too serious". Another lost episode!

Pete Holmes talking about CBB as a show "you'd have to play a character on" reminded me that he's never been on CBB.

edit: grammar

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 13, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I quite like that Scott has some quality control going on and won't put out episodes he doesn't think meet the grade, could hurt a guests reputation etc.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Comedy Bang Bang is a pretty unique podcast that even if guests are on and aren't playing a character, they're still expected to buy into the "universe" of sorts. It's a tricky line.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
It would be interesting to hear a more, I guess, 'serious' version of CBB if they were clearly marked as such and released on Earwolf Presents or similar. Although I understand why they wouldn't and it's not like there's a lack of those kind of podcasts anyway. Still, a shame to miss out on episodes just because they didn't fit the format, but still were interesting.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd listen to Tragedy Bang Bang. Make it happen Jeff.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

it's not like there's a lack of those kind of podcasts anyway.

This is the thing. Most of the guests who appear on CBB have at some point also appeared on one of the many 'comedians getting real' podcasts. I'm pretty ok with Scott choosing to keep CBB as a comedy podcast for comedians to be funny and silly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hey now, don't forget we're due that serious, no stone left unturned Patton Oswalt interview at some point. Scott just needs to remember to lock that door!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Comedians are not nearly so interesting that we need a tenth interview podcast with them.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Holy poo poo, James Adomian is in ridiculously good form in this ep

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Jesse Ventura appearance? Yesssss :getin:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

SKULE123 posted:

If I understood Brody Stevens on You Made It Weird (he referred to a show "over there" after talking about Scott Aukerman and having to play a character) he recorded an episode that never aired because it got "too serious". Another lost episode!

Pete Holmes talking about CBB as a show "you'd have to play a character on" reminded me that he's never been on CBB.

edit: grammar

I feel like there must be a reason for Holmes never having been on, when all his best buds have been on multiple times. I think Scott probably just thinks Pete is the biggest doofus in the world.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I wonder about that too, although Scott has sort of drawn the net of who comes on tighter since the first 100 episodes, and a Pete Holmes appearance seems like something that would have happened in that range. (Like Kumail and Kyle Kinane and Jimmy Pardo).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I love Holmes and listen to a lot of his podcast, and him on other podcasts. It just doesn't seem like a good fit, he's just not a character guy. I can't see him playing one, or being a very good straight man. It's kind of odd that he's never been on, since there have been some bad guests! Maybe he and Scott just know that it wouldn't go well. With all their shared friends and his appearances on all the other earwolf shows, I think it unlikely that there is some Scharpling-PFT angle.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I think that Pete Holmes and Jesse Ventura would be great together.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

It's not like Scott doesn't like Pete or think he's not funny. He booked him a lot for the weekly CBB show at UCB.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I feel like the crowd was way more into the show this time around.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Tonight's live stream is CBB with Doug Benson and Steven Yuen from the walking dead. A minute in and they're already trashing Heidecker!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
A certain Boss of Cakes showed up, and Scott just had some of the most amazing awful wordplay. Party on, girth!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Steven Yeun is pretty good with PFT here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5JkX-ypM0

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
God drat do I love Scott's puns. I lost it at "party on, Girth".

E: Vv yep, the last (only?) CBB she was on at the beginning and during the plugs vV

Urk! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just saw Kristen Schaal on Twitter advising people not to watch her CC special. Seemed pretty serious, didn't she bring this up during a CBB ep too? Feel bad something she isn't happy with is going to air, just hope it's better than she thinks it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The pHo posted:

Just saw Kristen Schaal on Twitter advising people not to watch her CC special. Seemed pretty serious, didn't she bring this up during a CBB ep too? Feel bad something she isn't happy with is going to air, just hope it's better than she thinks it is.

On the Jeselnik offensive he mentioned it during her plugs and she said it wasn't going to air. Then they stared at each other for like 10 seconds. I don't know if she is being funny about how it's terrible, or if it is actually terrible.