Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

3TB Reds are $139.99 on Amazon today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ziploc posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to plonk down enough disks (and give up some disk space) for two disk redundancy.

How do you make that decision?
Is your stuff absolutely irreplaceable (in terms of either ability to be replaced at all, or be replaced in an acceptable time-frame)? Two-disk redundancy. Really annoying and you'd rather not have to replace it? One-disk redundancy. Don't give a poo poo? gently caress it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread so this may have been asked. Is there any difference between the N40L and N54L other than the processor?

Does anyone see any compatibility issues with this?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

IT Guy posted:

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread so this may have been asked. Is there any difference between the N40L and N54L other than the processor?

Does anyone see any compatibility issues with this?

Why the NIC? The N54L already has an onboard NIC.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IT Guy posted:

CPU is the only difference, yes. I don't think the board changed at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

deimos posted:

Why the NIC? The N54L already has an onboard NIC.
And unlike the one in the N36L, the driver works on FreeBSD/FreeNAS 8.x - which is why I've recommended an Intel NIC for the N36L in the past.
For N40L/N54L, the only reason to fit a NIC would be to utilize LAGG (which isn't a bad idea if you have more than one computer accessing the system and you're using disks capable of giving you more than 200MBps read and write in raidz1 for 3 disks, raidz2 for 4 disks and so on like the WD Red).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 14, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I thought there were driver issues with the onboard nic even with the N40L, no? The intel one uses 'em' and the onboard uses 'bge'?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 14, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you do go with the NIC, get it on eBay - they sell for about half that price there. And is that ECC RAM? Isn't one of the perks of the NxxL line that it can make use of ECC RAM?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Yes it is ECC RAM.

It's this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139262

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 14, 2013

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
bge works fine, it's almost the same NIC that goes into real HP servers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IT Guy posted:

I thought there were driver issues with the onboard nic even with the N40L, no? The intel one uses 'em' and the onboard uses 'bge'?
HP. :argh:
HP labels it as a Hp NC107i making it appear (to me, at least, possibly because I'm stupid) to be a Intel-based when it's actually using the Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5723 chip.

My apologies.

Ninja Rope posted:

bge works fine, it's almost the same NIC that goes into real HP servers.
Yes, bge works fine on FreeSBD 9 and 8.3 (or so I'm told, anyway). 8.2 has a problem (well-documented in this thread) that's specific to the Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5723 chip though, and 8.2 is what FreeNAS is baed on.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 14, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Right-o, I got the nic too then, it's cheap.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Crashplan is widely recommended and used by goons. I have multiple terabytes uploaded on their family plan, though it only recently dawned on me that I only actually have one computer that needs the cloud backup. Every other computer's backup needs are small enough that I can meet them with storage I already own - so now I have two Crashplan accounts set up, one as a paid single-computer with unlimited, and one as a free account, and the two are 'friends' with each other so that they can still back up computer-to-computer.

It also works wonderfully within Windows, Linux, and OSX. It's even not too much of a pain to manage on a headless Linux box, though I do wish they would optionally expose the settings to point it at a different hostname/port instead of making you edit a config file every time.
Good to know. Well I'm down to either CrashPlan or Backblaze. I did some research and came up with the following differences/pros/cons between the two services. Is this list accurate and are there any other important differences I'm missing?

CrashPlan:
Choose what to backup
Cheaper for multiple computers (especially for more than 2)
Cross-platform Java client that is a bit memory hungry (at least on OSX)
Some folks report trouble w/ or slow to respond tech support
Longer (or indefinite?) retention on versions and deleted files

Backblaze:
Choose what not to backup
Native clients for OSX/Windows
No Android app yet
Only retains deleted files and versions for 30 days

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

CrashPlan:
Choose what to backup

If you end up going with crashplan: if you use it headless, and you need tech support and you're sure it's not an issue with your headless setup, don't mention that you run it headless in the support ticket.

It's not just memory hungry on OSX: it's an issue with the as-set memory headroom in the java interpreter (or something). The problem isn't an outright crash, which would be better: the status e-mails can be misleading in that it seems like things are OK, but the backup hasn't really taken place. See e.g. http://blog.insanegenius.com/2012/07/15/crashplan-memory-utilization.

The sperg in me would like to see a detailed list of files that are new, missing, or have changed. I ended up writing a script to do this for me separately, but of course it doesn't check what's really going on with the copies of files at the server. I'd really like to be able to check/"exercise" those backups.

Other than that it seems to work well for me, but I haven't had to restore any files yet.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've read the OP and perused some of the thread, but really I'm completely new to the idea of NAS. I am, however, a total digital packrat, and am VERY interested in the idea of huge, massive storage, maybe even with redundancy. Can anyone point me in the direction of what I need/should look into if I wanna store something ridiculous like over 20 TB (eight 3 tb drives)? Where do I start?

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

Gozinbulx posted:

I've read the OP and perused some of the thread, but really I'm completely new to the idea of NAS. I am, however, a total digital packrat, and am VERY interested in the idea of huge, massive storage, maybe even with redundancy. Can anyone point me in the direction of what I need/should look into if I wanna store something ridiculous like over 20 TB (eight 3 tb drives)? Where do I start?
Get a case with at least 6 bays and get some 5 in 3's, or 4 in 3's. They run about 80 if you a nice one with hot swap and a fan. There are cheaper alternatives down to 30 I think.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

And unlike the one in the N36L, the driver works on FreeBSD/FreeNAS 8.x - which is why I've recommended an Intel NIC for the N36L in the past.
For N40L/N54L, the only reason to fit a NIC would be to utilize LAGG (which isn't a bad idea if you have more than one computer accessing the system and you're using disks capable of giving you more than 200MBps read and write in raidz1 for 3 disks, raidz2 for 4 disks and so on like the WD Red).

This part and what I read in the home networking thread is confusing me. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's recommended to get another NIC to utilize LAGG. But to use LAGG you should get a switch with LACP support.

freenas posted:

Aggregation works best on switches supporting LACP, which distributes traffic bi-directionally while responding to failure of individual links. FreeNAS® also supports active/passive failover between pairs of links.

So that means I should go for a managed switch right? Or is a smart switch good enough? Since I want to set up IP cams and other doodads, Power over ethernet would be ideal. Which brings me to get a Cisco SG 300-10P, Cisco SG 300-10MP? I was opting for a Ubiquiti Toughswitch PRO but unfortunately, it doesn't support LACP. The price seems to be a bit of overkill and everyone in the home networking thread states that I should just stick with a unmanaged gigaport switch.

So confused :(

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Traxxus posted:

Get a case with at least 6 bays and get some 5 in 3's, or 4 in 3's. They run about 80 if you a nice one with hot swap and a fan. There are cheaper alternatives down to 30 I think.
Agreed. When I built mine (8x 2TB's) I went with the Corsair 550D because it had enough space, was high quality, and is pretty good at keeping things quiet with a fan controller in the mix. This 4-in-3 fit into the case pretty well and fit the WD Reds just fine. No hot-swap or backplane, but that's a-ok with me, especially since it means they're only $27. I'd rather spend the $50 I saved on an actual RAID controller card than a mediocre backplane, anyhow, as I never use hot-swap. Don't forget to pick up some power splitters and SATA cables, too.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I bought my N40L when the 54 was available, but didn't need the CPU bump and wanted to save some power. But it is probably a negligible amount anyway.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It was posted here a while ago that the Norco 4224 had some problems with 3TB drives, does anyone know if there was an update on the status of that?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

caberham posted:

This part and what I read in the home networking thread is confusing me. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's recommended to get another NIC to utilize LAGG. But to use LAGG you should get a switch with LACP support.

So that means I should go for a managed switch right? Or is a smart switch good enough? Since I want to set up IP cams and other doodads, Power over ethernet would be ideal. Which brings me to get a Cisco SG 300-10P, Cisco SG 300-10MP? I was opting for a Ubiquiti Toughswitch PRO but unfortunately, it doesn't support LACP. The price seems to be a bit of overkill and everyone in the home networking thread states that I should just stick with a unmanaged gigaport switch.

So confused :(

You don't need support for LACP when doing LAGG, no - however if a NIC fails for whatever reason you won't lose all connectivity on your LAGG if you utilize LACP. Mind you, to do LAGG you do need multiple NICs.
As for the price, a Netgear GS110TP-100NAS is considerably cheaper, but you can probably find a lot more by searching around.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 15, 2013

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

deep square leg posted:

I bought my N40L when the 54 was available, but didn't need the CPU bump and wanted to save some power. But it is probably a negligible amount anyway.

They should only differ in maximum power draw. This means that it which one get better performance /watt depends on your workload. If your device spends of its time not doing much then your total power draw is unlikely to change much.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

You've got your directions to the case/misc already, your choice of hardware depends on your needs though. Do you want a simple NAS, then get an ASRock B75 Pro3-M and stuff a Celeron G1610 on it. RAM usually depends on your drive capacity if you are using ZFS with FreeNAS, so get 16GB, while 32GB would be kind of an overkill. If you want to use it for additional transcoding for your media boxes, get an i3-3220 for its upgraded GPU with hardware transcoding abilities and better performance. Full hardware virtualization (VT-d), get an i5 or think about an Ivy Bridge Xeon which start off at the i5's price. Slap a good low power PSU on it like the Sea Sonic G-Series 360W and you're ready to go. If you are a silence freak: 2-3 120mm fans (1-2 in, 1 out) and Xigmatek Monocool, Zalman Fanmate 2 or other fan controllers will keep your case cool at no audible noise.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

yomisei posted:

You've got your directions to the case/misc already, your choice of hardware depends on your needs though. Do you want a simple NAS, then get an ASRock B75 Pro3-M and stuff a Celeron G1610 on it. RAM usually depends on your drive capacity if you are using ZFS with FreeNAS, so get 16GB, while 32GB would be kind of an overkill. If you want to use it for additional transcoding for your media boxes, get an i3-3220 for its upgraded GPU with hardware transcoding abilities and better performance. Full hardware virtualization (VT-d), get an i5 or think about an Ivy Bridge Xeon which start off at the i5's price. Slap a good low power PSU on it like the Sea Sonic G-Series 360W and you're ready to go. If you are a silence freak: 2-3 120mm fans (1-2 in, 1 out) and Xigmatek Monocool, Zalman Fanmate 2 or other fan controllers will keep your case cool at no audible noise.

Thank you so much. I still have some questions though:

Can the i3's and i5's go on that mobo?

Lets say I do use all this hardware, which OS/Distro would you recommend for 20+ tb? Is ZFS the only format that will format 20+ tb as one drive?

My main purpose would be to embark upon the grand project of storing and cataloging all my digital content, including ripping every DVD/BD I own and so on. So, ideally, I'd either run Plex/XMBC on the machine itself or have an HTPC which plays off of the NAS. Any ideas?

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

It was suggested I would get a better response to this question here...

I'm looking for NAS device that I can also connect to my computer via USB and have it show up as a USB hard drive.

PC1: USB Hard drive
PC2+: Access via Network.

Does anything like this exist?

All I can find is NAS devices with USB ports to connect additional USB hard drives to them.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

DrDork posted:

Agreed. When I built mine (8x 2TB's) I went with the Corsair 550D because it had enough space, was high quality, and is pretty good at keeping things quiet with a fan controller in the mix. This 4-in-3 fit into the case pretty well and fit the WD Reds just fine. No hot-swap or backplane, but that's a-ok with me, especially since it means they're only $27. I'd rather spend the $50 I saved on an actual RAID controller card than a mediocre backplane, anyhow, as I never use hot-swap. Don't forget to pick up some power splitters and SATA cables, too.

Nice. I got the CM 590, not made anymore unfortunately. Excellent case for a cheap server. 60 bucks and has 9 bays for 15 drives total with 5 in 3's. Comes with a 4in3 which I just left so 14 drives.

I used SS-500s for mine, because I planned to buy additional drives as I went along to stagger chances of drive failure. Allowed me to set everything up at once and just stick the drives in there as I buy them, don't want to screw around inside of it now I got it all nice and neat and working.

I also recommend using a different color cable for parity drive(s)just for reference. Also labeling the back of the hard drives with the last 5 digits of the serial and make/model on a file folder label or something similar, just so you know which is which. Just make sure you use a good adhesive remover to clean it off if you RMA it, they'll refuse an RMA if it has gunk on it.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Splinter posted:

Good to know. Well I'm down to either CrashPlan or Backblaze. I did some research and came up with the following differences/pros/cons between the two services. Is this list accurate and are there any other important differences I'm missing?

CrashPlan:
Choose what to backup

Backblaze:
Choose what not to backup
Native clients for OSX/Windows
No Android app yet
Only retains deleted files and versions for 30 days
I was on Backblaze and moved the files I was backing up to a different drive on the same computer. Backblaze wanted me to re-upload all of the files even though it already had identical files on its servers. CrashPlan let me move files around my computer without re-uploading. If you have 100's of GB of files and might move them someday this can be a big feature.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Biggz posted:

It was suggested I would get a better response to this question here...

I'm looking for NAS device that I can also connect to my computer via USB and have it show up as a USB hard drive.

PC1: USB Hard drive
PC2+: Access via Network.

Does anything like this exist?

All I can find is NAS devices with USB ports to connect additional USB hard drives to them.

You're not going to be able to find a device that does this because what you're proposing is exposing a disk in two different ways at the same time, as a raw block device and as a file system that sits on top of that block device.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Longinus00 posted:

You're not going to be able to find a device that does this

Thanks, at least you've put me out of my misery and I can stop searching.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

FISHMANPET posted:

It was posted here a while ago that the Norco 4224 had some problems with 3TB drives, does anyone know if there was an update on the status of that?

Supposedly, 3TB WD Red drives were fine in the 4224 because their power requirements were low enough not to cause problems. I haven't yet tried though as I've still got 6 bays left in mine to fill.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Biggz posted:

Thanks, at least you've put me out of my misery and I can stop searching.

To go into more detail, I've been playing around with the usb OTG drivers linux provides for showing up as a usb device - specifically a mass storage device - instead of a usb host. You can specify either block devices or regular files as the 'store' to expose via usb, and it works great. It may be platform dependent (I have support in hardware for this behavior on the platform I'm using) and it kind of does what you want. However, when you expose it and access it locally at the same time as you are discussing doing, things get crazy fast. Files modified locally (or via the network) don't show up in the USB drive and vis versa until all of a sudden everything is corrupt and you are a sad panda. It may be possible to create a custom solution to do this, but it is not a trivial problem, there are no drop-in solutions I am aware of, and it's a fairly niche requirement.

What are you trying to do that makes sense to connect one of the machines via USB and the rest via the network? It seems odd not to just connect everything via network - maybe there is another approach to meet your needs?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

DrDork posted:

Is your stuff absolutely irreplaceable (in terms of either ability to be replaced at all, or be replaced in an acceptable time-frame)? Two-disk redundancy. Really annoying and you'd rather not have to replace it? One-disk redundancy. Don't give a poo poo? gently caress it.

It's actually going to be a mix of both. So what I think I'm going to do is try Raid5 (or SHR) and have a USB3 External getting a weekly backup of the REALLY important poo poo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The HP N54L is only $239.99 after rebate right now from Newegg. I have an N40L right now and am tempted to upgrade to handle some transcoding issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921

On sale for $339.99, use promo code AFNJ0379 to get an additional $50 off, bringing it down to $289.99. $50 mail-in rebate gets it down to $239.99 when all is said and done.

Rebate offer expires tomorrow.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

D. Ebdrup posted:

And unlike the one in the N36L, the driver works on FreeBSD/FreeNAS 8.x

I use FreeBSD on my N36L with the onboard NIC because I believe in miracles.
(It's possible but I guess it's a crapshoot as to whether you have crippling problems or not).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There's no way to name a volume in Synology DSM is there? It's just always going to be Volume 1 (or 2 if you have multiple) right?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Quick ZFS question.. I've finally replaced all my 1.5TB drives with shiny new 3TB drives, and was expecting the pool capacity to increase after the last resilver was complete, however this didn't happen. How can I get it to recognise the new capacity?

I'm using ZFS on Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) with raid-z1

code:
➜  ~  sudo zpool status
  pool: Tank
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 1.34T in 6h18m with 0 errors on Sun Mar 17 19:19:55 2013
config:

NAME                                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	Tank                                 ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0                           ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F10WF6  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F120XJ  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-ST3000DM001-9YN166_Z1F1Z3Q1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-ST3000DM001-9YN166_Z1F1YQVR  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-ST3000DM001-9YN166_S1F0CWA3  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
code:
➜  ~  df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
Tank            5.4T  5.4T  3.1G 100% /Tank
(Should be seeing about 11TB)

I've tried rebooting and an export/import to no avail.

Edit: Not sure if this was on or not but I just found out about the 'autoexpand' setting. I've turned it on and started a scrub, will see what happens with that in the morning :)

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 17, 2013

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Gism0 posted:

Edit: Not sure if this was on or not but I just found out about the 'autoexpand' setting. I've turned it on and started a scrub, will see what happens with that in the morning :)
Shouldn't need a scrub, it should be instantaneous once set. zpool set autoexpand=on tank

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Does anyone happen to how what the performance hit is when adding an iSCSI volume over a Synology SHR raid instead of the iSCSI using it's own volume?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Crashplan's still using a Java client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

adorai posted:

Shouldn't need a scrub, it should be instantaneous once set. zpool set autoexpand=on tank

Nope, didn't work..

edit: Moved to the daily PPA and..

code:
Tank             11T  5.4T  5.4T  50% /Tank
Hooray!

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 18, 2013