Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Just watched A Good Day to Die Hard and while it certainly isn't a subtle film, I did notice one little thing which may have been unintentional but I thought it was neat anyway: John and his son "shoot the glass" to escape the bad guys during the hotel shootout halfway through the movie, kind of like how Hans Gruber shot the glass to escape from John in the first movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The scene in Die Hard Hans had another henchman or two with him all with automatic weapons, they had McClain cornered and were trying to kill him. The glass was to prevent him from fleeing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There were some callbacks to the first one though, they used a lot of the score, which I really liked.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

beep by grandpa posted:

The scene in Die Hard Hans had another henchman or two with him all with automatic weapons, they had McClain cornered and were trying to kill him. The glass was to prevent him from fleeing.

I'll have to watch that movie again. I only recall them shooting the glass, and later John is pretty much stuck because of all the glass everywhere.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

OilSlick posted:

I'll have to watch that movie again. I only recall them shooting the glass, and later John is pretty much stuck because of all the glass everywhere.

Hans noticed his lack of shoes earlier and ordered the glass to be shot. "Shoot the glass!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's especially funny cause he goes "schiess den fenster" a couple times but the henchmen don't get it. The he yells "shoot the glass" and they do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

There were some callbacks to the first one though, they used a lot of the score, which I really liked.

That would be because AGDTDH is the first Die Hard sequel that was written from the start to be a Die Hard sequel. The rest are just scripts that shoehorned in some references to past events but were completely unrelated.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
Fiancee bought me the Die Hard box set for our anniversary and i just noticed something watching the original with her Right before McClane hands Gruber the unloaded Beretta, he drops the mag and racks the slide. On the bluray at least, you can clearly see he drops the slide on an empty chamber.

Nice touch, I thought. Plus, now she knows why I love this movie.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
This got pointed out to me the other day, but this rather funny and endearing scene from Lilo and Stitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNj1XTnXc_M

Becomes depressing once you remember that Lilo's parents died in a car crash caused by bad weather

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Hayden posted:

Fiancee bought me the Die Hard box set for our anniversary and i just noticed something watching the original with her Right before McClane hands Gruber the unloaded Beretta, he drops the mag and racks the slide. On the bluray at least, you can clearly see he drops the slide on an empty chamber.

Yeah. You can see him subtly holding down the slide stop, the little lever that would hold the slide open on an empty magazine. What irritates me about that scene is with the way the Beretta 92 is designed, Hans would have to be blind to not see that the chamber is empty.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Hayden posted:

On a similar note:

Near the end of the first Tremors movie Burt hands Melvin an empty revolver to motivate him to run for the rocks. Two minutes later the first thing Burt does when he gets his gun back is to check to see if it is loaded.

One of the rule number ones with firearms is to assume it is loaded until you have visually inspected it, no matter what.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching the director's cut of Alien and noticed something interesting:
When Kane starts examining the egg sac in the derelict ship, you can see the moisture dripping up from the sac. This meant they filmed that moment of the movie with the camera upside-down and the egg hanging from above. It's another thing that helps sell that there's something unusual about the area.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Android Bicyclist posted:

I'm watching the director's cut of Alien and noticed something interesting:
When Kane starts examining the egg sac in the derelict ship, you can see the moisture dripping up from the sac. This meant they filmed that moment of the movie with the camera upside-down and the egg hanging from above. It's another thing that helps sell that there's something unusual about the area.

I love the IMDB note for that.

quote:

A close-up of the Alien egg when Kane is looking at it shows water droplets falling upwards off the egg, revealing that the shot was done with the camera upside down. (according to Trivia, this is an intended effect by Ridley Scott)

It's on the goofs page under "incorrectly regarded as goofs". I just love the idea that there are people out there who think that the egg was hung from a ceiling accidentally.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Leovinus posted:

I love the IMDB note for that.

It's on the goofs page under "incorrectly regarded as goofs". I just love the idea that there are people out there who think that the egg was hung from a ceiling accidentally.

Thank you for reminding me that AMDB exists.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Kind of a silly one, but at the end of Wayne's World they have the Scooby-Doo ending, and it turns out Rob Lowe was Old Man Withers, who owns the amusement park. It's an amusing little joke about Scooby-Doo.

But in the first part of the movie, when Wayne goes into the doughnut shop, he sees Old Man Withers sitting there and asks him how his amusement park is doing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Kind of a silly one, but at the end of Wayne's World they have the Scooby-Doo ending, and it turns out Rob Lowe was Old Man Withers, who owns the amusement park. It's an amusing little joke about Scooby-Doo.

But in the first part of the movie, when Wayne goes into the doughnut shop, he sees Old Man Withers sitting there and asks him how his amusement park is doing.

Holy crap! Love that movie, seen it dozens of times, never picked up on that. That just brought a smile to my miserable face.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
My favorite thing about the Big Lebowski is that the Dude lifts sayings from everyone in the film and uses them whenever he gets the opportunity("in the parlance of our times/her life was in our hands!") but when he has to formulate his own response since he can't use anyone else's, he's at a total loss for words ("yeah, well, that's, like, you're opinion").

Also, when Maude asks him to talk about himself he mentions being in the music industry and she suddenly perks up and just as suddenly looks disappointed when he actually meant that he was a roadie for Metallica. They just had sex and she was using him to bear her child and was hoping that there may be something impressive about the Dude.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, in the first movie, they have a red-rope licorice dispenser in the MirthMobile. The second film has Garth offering some to Honey Horné, and then at the end, he and his nerd girlfriend are eating some. I like consistency!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the beginning of Platoon the focus is more on the visuals and not so much on the dialogue which is mostly just chatter between the troops and over the radio.

Over the radio: move it out. Six says we're jamming 'em up back there.
Barnes to the radioman: Tell that dipshit to get hosed!
Radioman: Be advised, we're moving out shortly.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Guilty posted:

This got pointed out to me the other day, but this rather funny and endearing scene from Lilo and Stitch:

Becomes depressing once you remember that Lilo's parents died in a car crash caused by bad weather

There's a lot that's depressing about the film, when you think about it. The matter-of-fact way she talks about losing people and the way she expects to be abandoned by her loved ones at every turn, the way she sees Pudge as the weather spirit that killed her parents (and the looks on the adults faces as they realise that), the bit where she throws away her doll, then comes running back to hug it... And none of it's from a 'it was all the kid's dying dream' bullshit grimdark perspective, it's all explicitly there onscreen. That it manages to be as funny and uplifting as it is is a miracle.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Guilty posted:

I hate you for telling me this but at the same time I love it. Lilo and Stitch has always been my favorite Disney movie, this just drives it home.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

This is more a general Lord of the Rings thing, but Gimli asking for one hair from Galadriel's head is a reference from Tolkien mythology, expanded upon in Unfinished Tales. In it, another elf, Feanor, asked three times for a strand of hair from Galadriel, and he was denied all three times. When Gimli asks, though, he gets three strands. Now up to here it's all in-book stuff that's irrelevant here.

What the movie adds is Gimli recounting his request to Legolas, who responds with no words, but just smiles warmly. But he has this sort of knowing look in his eyes, which, knowing Jackson and Walsh, is certainly intentional. He knows the story, and the significance of getting three hairs. I thought that was a cool thing on Jackson's part to put in, having Gimli recount the story to the one guy who'd know the meaning behind what Gimli would see just an abundant act of generosity.

At least, I'd like to think it's intentional, otherwise it's just reading way too far into it. :spergin:

ACES CURE PLANES has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Mar 14, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
TV moment but there was an episode of King of the Hill where Peggy discovered that Nancy was having an affair with John Red Corn. She contemplates telling Dale the truth the entire time but realizes that bringing it up would destroy the good relationship Dale has with Joseph. At the end of the episode Hank and Peggy walk into the house and step over a sleeping Lady-bird, the episode closes on her resting on the mat.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

One of my favorite little moments comes from Inglorious Basterds. In the scene where Landa and Shoshanna are in the restaurant, Landa orders strudel for them both. This is rather innocent. However, before she can take a bite, Landa suddenly remembers that he forgot to order the whipped cream for the topping. He orders it and won't let Shoshanna eat until it comes. We get a heavy-handed shot of the cream being put onto the strudel, and then Landa eats. After watching her eat, he asks her about it, and you see her kinda grimace and swallow.

The reason for this, and him relaxing after her eating is because whipped cream wasn't readily made Kosher until the late 1950s. Before this, a large amount of cream was made with gelatin, which is decidedly non-Kosher. Now, it was possible to make it Kosher, without gelatin and with a blessed animal, but Shoshanna has no way of knowing if it is.

Now, non-dairy creams can more easily be Kosher, but that wasn't invented until 1945, so this has to be natural whipped cream. In addition, the likelihood of it being Kosher in German-occupied France is slim-to-none. Shoshanna being willing to eat this indicates that she's not a practicing jew. That said, I believe that Landa knew who she was and was just having fun with her, toying with the prey, so to speak.

They don't bring this scene up, or really talk about it at all. It's simply a nice little note and shows that Landa does his homework.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always thought the point of it was that Shoshanna had been hiding on a milk farm and, presumably, isn't keen on dairy products anymore even apart from what you said. But that's very interesting and gives the scene a whole new spin. Good catch.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Shoshanna didn't strike me as particularly beholden to tradition or religiously mandated sensibilities/restrictions. She was in a fairly progressive relationship.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Orange_Lazarus posted:

TV moment but there was an episode of King of the Hill where Peggy discovered that Nancy was having an affair with John Red Corn. She contemplates telling Dale the truth the entire time but realizes that bringing it up would destroy the good relationship Dale has with Joseph. At the end of the episode Hank and Peggy walk into the house and step over a sleeping Lady-bird, the episode closes on her resting on the mat.

I don't understand what Ladybird on a mat has to do with Joseph and Dale.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

bamhand posted:

I don't understand what Ladybird on a mat has to do with Joseph and Dale.

They let a sleeping dog lie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MichiganCubbie posted:

One of my favorite little moments comes from Inglorious Basterds. In the scene where Landa and Shoshanna are in the restaurant, Landa orders strudel for them both. This is rather innocent. However, before she can take a bite, Landa suddenly remembers that he forgot to order the whipped cream for the topping. He orders it and won't let Shoshanna eat until it comes. We get a heavy-handed shot of the cream being put onto the strudel, and then Landa eats. After watching her eat, he asks her about it, and you see her kinda grimace and swallow.

The reason for this, and him relaxing after her eating is because whipped cream wasn't readily made Kosher until the late 1950s. Before this, a large amount of cream was made with gelatin, which is decidedly non-Kosher. Now, it was possible to make it Kosher, without gelatin and with a blessed animal, but Shoshanna has no way of knowing if it is.

Now, non-dairy creams can more easily be Kosher, but that wasn't invented until 1945, so this has to be natural whipped cream. In addition, the likelihood of it being Kosher in German-occupied France is slim-to-none. Shoshanna being willing to eat this indicates that she's not a practicing jew. That said, I believe that Landa knew who she was and was just having fun with her, toying with the prey, so to speak.

They don't bring this scene up, or really talk about it at all. It's simply a nice little note and shows that Landa does his homework.

Doesn't he also order her a glass of milk to drink and you see her freak out a little bit?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's a reason Christoph Waltz got so many nominations and won so many awards for his work in Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained. Obviously he didn't write the scripts, but it's such a joy to watch the way he plays his characters so well. The scene with the French farmer in the beginning of Basterds is one of my favorites, the tension and amount of unspoken dialogue between them is amazing.

Seriously, look at his list of nominations and awards for those two movies alone.

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead
Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

Doesn't he also order her a glass of milk to drink and you see her freak out a little bit?

I always assumed that this (and the creme bit) was because (Not sure if I should spoiler this, but going to just in case) he knew she was hiding out in the dairy farm at the beginning of the movie.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
This is probably a really stupid question but in The Rocky Horror Picture Show is there any significance to Frank, Riff Raff and Magenta being present at Ralph and Betty's wedding? I always just assumed it was a weird little detail that didn't mean anything but I'm curious if there's something I'm missing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ez posted:

This is probably a really stupid question but in The Rocky Horror Picture Show is there any significance to Frank, Riff Raff and Magenta being present at Ralph and Betty's wedding? I always just assumed it was a weird little detail that didn't mean anything but I'm curious if there's something I'm missing.

It's just a fun weird detail. Of all the movies to start picking apart for subtlety, I think we can skip Rocky Horror.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Chantilly Say posted:

It's just a fun weird detail. Of all the movies to start picking apart for subtlety, I think we can skip Rocky Horror.

I'm not picking anything apart I'm just curious. I don't think any other movie has done that before. I love Rocky Horror, it's so unique :swoon:

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MichiganCubbie posted:

Oh, man. That's one of my favourite scenes in the movie and I never caught that. He totally knew.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Halifax posted:

I always assumed that this (and the creme bit) was because (Not sure if I should spoiler this, but going to just in case) he knew she was hiding out in the dairy farm at the beginning of the movie.

I think this is a better interpretation than the cream being non-kosher. And presumably the strudel itself would not have been kosher because of being made of butter that is not rabbinically kosher.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
In The Incredibles when the villain launches the rocket it comes out of a volcano. It looks real cool, and makes aesthetic sense being a villainous launch. However there might be a logistical reason (like almost every scene in a Pixar movie has): the plume, heat and direction would go unnoticed by govt agencies watching for ICBM launches because it would be interpreted as a volcano eruption.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

Ez posted:

I would guess that it is because that's how was done in stage production and the film was made by the director of the state version. They don't have too many extras in smaller stage shows like that.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Talibananas posted:

I think this is a better interpretation than the cream being non-kosher. And presumably the strudel itself would not have been kosher because of being made of butter that is not rabbinically kosher.

Can't it be both? Landa above all LOVED to toy with his prey as much as he possibly could, in the creepiest way possible if the italian scene is any indication, although this bit from the opening sequence has me leaning mostly towards the latter interpretation.

"Now if one were to determine what attribute the German people share with a beast, it would be the cunning and the predatory instinct of a hawk. But if one were to determine what attributes the Jews share with a beast, it would be that of the rat. If a rat were to walk in here right now as I'm talking, would you treat it to a saucer of your delicious milk?"

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chantilly Say posted:

Do you get it, they're EATING MEATLOAF get it?