Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Note that those folders got duplicates in "Everything Else", you'll have to delete "terrainmods" etc from there too to get rid of them.

e:

A goon or two were asking for non-torrent mirrors of the modpacks in OP, and I just finished uploading them to rapidgator. The links probably work. Or not. Clicking on them is a journey full of mystery and adventure.

:frog:

The Old-Fashioned Pack
Parts: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5

KillHour's Spergin' Gigapack

Grand Fromage's & GodlessCommie's pack
Parts: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6

Fewd fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

MikeJF posted:

I think it's just the 'terrainmods' folder. Punch can confirm, though.

This may not do anything, but in my entirely anecdotal experience it can cause a lot of slowdown.

I switched it to software rendering at the same time as taking that out so it was probably my own fault but that didn't work :(

so I decided instead to try KillHour's one and ... all the water is gone. Everywhere, in all my regions. Does anybody know what happened?

edit: OH it's just the diagonal bridge tool. I was wondering why a special dialogue box came up for it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 14, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

buh? :confused:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eventually the sim will realize that there are, in fact, roads connected and they will start to develop. This has been happening to me a lot and its kind of baffling but oh well.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Agh, help me. :negative: Windows 8 Pro, Intel Core i5-2410M, graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 3000, 4GBs of RAM (it's a laptop). SimCity 4 was working perfectly well with just the -CPUCount:1 thing under Windows 7 Professional, but now, no matter how I run it (I've tried -CPUpriority:high, messing with the resolution, windowing, -d:Software...), it just won't start. As in, I can run it from Steam or the desktop and a window will pop up that says "GDriver Window - DirectX" and then its title changes to "SimCity 4" and then the window goes away and the game stops running. :confused:

It won't even get to the intro screen, and I've also tried -intro:off and -audio:off. All of my drivers are updated and windows 8 (64-bit) is fully updated. I've tried with and without plugins in the folder (and I nuked all of my saved games since I was planning on redoing my plugins anyway) and the same thing persists when I uninstall and reinstall via Steam. I've also tried running in XP service pack 3 and Windows 7 compatibility mode, but that doesn't do anything either. In fact, I don't even get the "GDriver Window - DirectX" thing with XP compatibility, just a black box that goes away after a few seconds. Every other game I've played in the meantime works well (I had to do some edits for KotOR I, but that's otherwise it). I have DirectX 11 and the only thing I can think of is that I need to download an earlier version of DirectX, I guess from Microsoft??

I've verified the game cache and nothing seems to be missing. When I open the task manager while the window is still up, it just says SimCity 4 is not responding. I just want to build cities. :(

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Well I want to make a goon region, so if anyone want in, please just tell me.

The questions are:
Shall we play with big or medium cities?
What modpack it will use?

I thought about as long as you don't enter the city of others each one can use any mods they want, and a 4x4 medium city region.

The other problem is the connection, but the region could have the connections before or something like don't build in 5 squares off the border.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

As far as I can tell, this is a NAM thing. Since NAM has increased pathfinding requirements over vanilla, it only runs pathfinding once per in-game month. However, if you are running on cheetah speed, it is entirely possible that a month will go by before SC4 has finished computing LAST month's traffic. When this happens, new lots believe that they are unconnected to the road system until the next time pathfinding is calculated, next month (unless it's still not finished with the previous one by then, etc.)

It's really not a big deal, and will generally only ever come up if you're building new areas while on cheetah speed. If you build on turtle, and watch on cheetah, you'll likely never encounter it.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
So, since the gorgeous amazing terrain mods included in Old Fashioned turn my game into molasses-on-a-January-morning, can anyone suggest some terrain mods that work with software rendering? I loathe these mod sites with a fervent passion and my just play without them altogether, but this big hilly region looks so much worse with the default terrain and it's very depressing. I particularly like the snowcapped peaks it shows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dice Dingus posted:

So, since the gorgeous amazing terrain mods included in Old Fashioned turn my game into molasses-on-a-January-morning, can anyone suggest some terrain mods that work with software rendering? I loathe these mod sites with a fervent passion and my just play without them altogether, but this big hilly region looks so much worse with the default terrain and it's very depressing. I particularly like the snowcapped peaks it shows.

Try Columbus with one of the snowcapped options. Here.

So did removing the HD terrain and going software actually fix the speed problem?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 15, 2013

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fewd posted:

Note that those folders got duplicates in "Everything Else", you'll have to delete "terrainmods" etc from there too to get rid of them.

e:

A goon or two were asking for non-torrent mirrors of the modpacks in OP, and I just finished uploading them to rapidgator. The links probably work. Or not. Clicking on them is a journey full of mystery and adventure.

The Old-Fashioned Pack

Can you mirror these somewhere I don't have to pay to download files > 500MB?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Can you mirror these somewhere I don't have to pay to download files > 500MB?

Oh, I didn't know that. I'll chunk the two bigger ones up, that'll do it. I'll update the links to the parts to that post later today.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Why did nobody tell me that there are awesome hedgerow trees in this pack?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Giggily posted:

Why did nobody tell me that there are awesome hedgerow trees in this pack?

Which pack?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm using the old fashioned park. Slowly and steadily I am replacing all of the other terrible lot trees with the awesome god mode ones. Now my farms and small town areas are gonna look rad as hell.

Although sometimes the trees grow in the road, which is a bit annoying.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Giggily posted:

Although sometimes the trees grow in the road, which is a bit annoying.

Tell me about it!

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Should I install all three of those modpacks? Or only 1?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Noreaus posted:

all three

All three megapacks are installed. The system goes on-line March 15th, 2013. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. SimCity4Net begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, March 18th. In a panic, forums user Noreaus tries to pull the plug.

SimCity4Net fights back.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Noreaus posted:

Should I install all three of those modpacks? Or only 1?

It depends. How ok would you be with your computer literally blowing up?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

VDay posted:

It depends. How ok would you be with your computer literally blowing up?
Depends, does he get to save beforehand?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Wotalt posted:

Hey y'all.

I finally replaced the ancient goon gigapack with Grand Fromage's pack which, while looking amazing, is having a graphical issue while panning around. Changing the resolution and windowing hasn't been able to fix it, so I honestly have no idea what to do. Is this problem familiar?

Zoom in or out. Fixes it for me usually.

Totally forget what pack I am using. I think it was the one in the old op.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Do any of the mods in the pack add liquor stores, strip clubs, head shops, and pawn shops? I'd like to create realistic slums.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

bobthedinosaur posted:

Do any of the mods in the pack add liquor stores, strip clubs, head shops, and pawn shops? I'd like to create realistic slums.

Giggily posted:

A small excerpt of what is quickly becoming the most hilarious part of my city.

These are all liquor stores.

Chlorine
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, look at that!

bobthedinosaur posted:

Simgoober's NIMBY pack is included in the gigapack if I recall correctly and the majority of his low-wealth commercial are in the packs. Sometimes the directory is SG, other times SimGoober.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Giggily posted:

These are all liquor stores.

That is a disturbing amount of booze being sold in such a highly concentrated area.

Chlorine posted:

Simgoober's NIMBY pack is included in the gigapack if I recall correctly and the majority of his low-wealth commercial are in the packs. Sometimes the directory is SG, other times SimGoober.

Awesome.

Thanks for the heads up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is there a way to force SC4's zoning to drop smaller lots down? I've got nothing but gigantic lots in my low-density housing and commercial zones and giant houses and offices are getting built instead of small businesses and houses.

Here's my city on one of the quarter-size lots on the New York map. Someday it'll look as cool as the ones in this thread :smith:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 16, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zone lots individually, not by dragging the box if you want to get control over how big your lots end up being.

All the houses here were zoned individually. Sometimes some buildings will hijack multiple lots, but for the most part buildings will stay contained to what you've zoned them as.

e: to be fair, though, I did just drag a row of 1x1 lots for a lot of these. Once you start paying attention to what you're putting down controlling what is built where gets a lot easier.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 16, 2013

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Breetai posted:

SHUT UP BENZINE, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD.

Ref:

Note that not everything lines up exactly; some concessions had to be made due to the road placement limitations of the SimCity 4 engine and a lot of the time proportions are skewed as a result, but I've got most aspects. Note that I've had to re-imagine the central tram line that IRL shares roadspace with cars up that central avenue as a train rail, however the Victoria Square station is still there, as is the main train station on North Terrace - although that area's being developed currently, so I'll have to see what the final plans look like. Regardless, I've modeled every sidestreet I could.

North tce, KWS hang on a second... holy poo poo! Adelaide! This is awesome.
Did you have Rundle Mall in there though? it was hard to see as the skyscrapers are in the way.

Also, it was mentioned earlier on, but anyluck for playing this on osX 10.6.8? My mac is so old that it plays better than my PC, but I stupidly upgraded to snow lion and now it doesnt work.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fewd posted:

e:

The Old-Fashioned Pack
Parts: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5

Parts: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6

Thanks a bunch for this!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It took me too long to realize this new thread exists. I blame the OP for spelling the game's title wrong. :argh:

So, I've been messing around in a new region, my interest in SC4 being reinvigorated as of late. I don't know what mod pack I'm using, I'm just playing from a year-old SC4 install I've had laying around. But within that pack, somewhere, is a "Real Highway" tool, and I hope the author of this abomination is burning in hell somewhere right now. Maybe it's because I'm on an old version or something, but this thing is pissing me off to no end. At first, I thought hey, I'll give it a shot because it looks miles better than Maxis's terrible looking highways. But placement is so buggy, so unintuitive, so god damned difficult, that I just ragequit after a couple hours of loving around with the stupid piece of poo poo. I'm convinced that you can't actually curve a highway that's larger than four lanes. There are no proper 6 lane curve tools, only a six lane diagonal transition, and only one type of diagonal for it. The latter is the real problem because I can't figure out how to make the diagonal transition back into a straight and finish off a 90 degree turn. I just don't see anything to allow for that to happen. You also need shitloads of empty space to work with these things, the off ramps are a nightmare to work with, bulldozing adjacent structures often cause the highway to freak out and break apart, and so on. I'm about ready to just undo everything and use Maxis's super ugly highways. This thing is so frustrating.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Went back to my cities after taking a break and realized that I'm definitely still having a problem with dirty industry in the OldFashioned pack. High demand, but very little seems to grow. Any ideas what's up?

Now that the initial Schadenfreude has worn off over the new SimCity, I feel a bit depressed that they've probably killed the future of the franchise. Or at least so much as I would want to play. If I cared enough I'd try to shoot off an email to Gabe Newell citing the SC4 community as a great example of the user-enhanced future of games he's been talking about. Minus the batshit dependency-mongering.

Edit: Oh man, the RHW has some is a source of infinite frustration, but I do believe they've improved a bit in the latest versions (not the still-buggy new one). If the Maxis highways weren't so hideous, I wouldn't bother, but RHW can look pretty awesome when done right. There are a number of tutorial videos on Youtube, as well as walkthroughs on their forums.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 16, 2013

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, I've been messing around in a new region, my interest in SC4 being reinvigorated as of late. I don't know what mod pack I'm using, I'm just playing from a year-old SC4 install I've had laying around. But within that pack, somewhere, is a "Real Highway" tool, and I hope the author of this abomination is burning in hell somewhere right now. Maybe it's because I'm on an old version or something, but this thing is pissing me off to no end. At first, I thought hey, I'll give it a shot because it looks miles better than Maxis's terrible looking highways. But placement is so buggy, so unintuitive, so god damned difficult, that I just ragequit after a couple hours of loving around with the stupid piece of poo poo. I'm convinced that you can't actually curve a highway that's larger than four lanes. There are no proper 6 lane curve tools, only a six lane diagonal transition, and only one type of diagonal for it. The latter is the real problem because I can't figure out how to make the diagonal transition back into a straight and finish off a 90 degree turn. I just don't see anything to allow for that to happen. You also need shitloads of empty space to work with these things, the off ramps are a nightmare to work with, bulldozing adjacent structures often cause the highway to freak out and break apart, and so on. I'm about ready to just undo everything and use Maxis's super ugly highways. This thing is so frustrating.

I've tried to use RHW a couple of times now, and both times I've just gone straight back to Maxis' lovely but functional highways. Despite (or maybe because of) there being multiple user's manuals and dozens of tutorials videos on youtube, I just cannot get RHW to work for me either.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Biscuit posted:

North tce, KWS hang on a second... holy poo poo! Adelaide! This is awesome.
Did you have Rundle Mall in there though? it was hard to see as the skyscrapers are in the way.

Rundle Mall is there, you can see it in the raw roadmap pic as a sort of beige-y horizontal strip. It's tricky to get commercial lots to grow on it because you need sims willing to take public transport, but it's doable,

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
That's a shame about the RHW mod. It looks really cool, and I bet would be awesome if you sperged out and put in all the proper lanes and everything. I just can't get the most basic of off ramps to setup properly, no matter which highway type I try.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Breetai posted:

Rundle Mall is there, you can see it in the raw roadmap pic as a sort of beige-y horizontal strip. It's tricky to get commercial lots to grow on it because you need sims willing to take public transport, but it's doable,

Ah yeah, I see it now. Nice one mate. I always wanted to build Adelaide, but never thought it was possible (and I'm shite at advanced play of sc4).

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
How do I reduce the number of cores SC$ uses? I know I have to type CPUCount1 somewhere but I'm not sure where.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Slippery Nipple posted:

How do I reduce the number of cores SC$ uses? I know I have to type CPUCount1 somewhere but I'm not sure where.

In the shortcut target. Right click on the shortcut, choose properties. Here's an example target (it's what I use): "W:\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -intro:off -w -CPUcount:1 -CustomResolution:enabled -r1440x900x32

This prevents the intro, runs on a single core, and runs in a 1440x900 window.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looking at the list of mod packs, I'm almost certain I have Killhour's pack installed right now. What should I do to install another mod pack? Can I just delete the plugins folder and download a new modpack? If I "upgrade" to Grand Fromage's pack from Killhour's, will I run into any issues in my saved cities? I figure at most if there are some missing buildings, there will be a few missing building graphics here and there and I'll just bulldoze them.

I could reinstall, but then I'd have to track down those discs again :effort:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looking at the list of mod packs, I'm almost certain I have Killhour's pack installed right now. What should I do to install another mod pack? Can I just delete the plugins folder and download a new modpack? If I "upgrade" to Grand Fromage's pack from Killhour's, will I run into any issues in my saved cities? I figure at most if there are some missing buildings, there will be a few missing building graphics here and there and I'll just bulldoze them.

I could reinstall, but then I'd have to track down those discs again :effort:

If you considered reinstalling, you could just delete your regions and start fresh.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Ok, maybe its because I've been up for 24 hours at this point, but I'm going to need a primer on the highway bits that are included in the old fashion pack. I'm starting a region the way I always used to -- with a highway system that cities grow off of and it looks like you can do some neat stuff with that by my :spergin:-fu is weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The SPAM agriculture mod and the Industrial Revolution mod are both amazing. I love the way they change how those zones work. Are there similar mods that overhaul residential and commercial zoning?

• Locked thread