Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

The concept of writing in a font baffles me and my semilegible scratch marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Any good italic nib should do you proper. A music nib would give you even wider lines, and I know the Pilot Parallel comes as wide as 6mm depending on your needs.

From what I understand, pens marketed as "calligraphy pens" are pretty poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have about 15 pens in my collection, but these four are by far my favorites:

From top to bottom:
Pelikan Epoch
Sensa Meridian
Sheaffer Imperial
Pelikan M200

The Sensa especially is the jewel of my humble collection - the grip is like a mushy gel foam so it's just a dream to write with. Also I don't think a pen as beautiful as the Sheaffer Imperial has ever been made.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2013

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
My TWSBIs came in today! They are awesome. The vac700 is filled with Noodler's lexington grey and the 540 has Diamine red dragon. Both are have EF nibs and are really nice to write with.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Speaking of which, are there any pens in the ~$30-50 area that are compatible with my Mont Blanc refills?

Edit: oh god the tables

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'm a bit confused...wait, you got a fake Mont Blanc and bought real refill cartridges for it that don't fit, got it. Is that a ballpoint though, are the refills ballpoint or gel? Looking into it MB makes proprietary refills, however someone mentions that Pilot G2 refills fit in MB pens, so maybe the reverse is true...actually yeah, you can probably just use some scissors and do what this guy did. You might have to make a cap for the end of it though if you need to cut the entire thing off for it to fit so the ink doesn't dry up super quick.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I have a handful of vintage Esterbrooks and some others. The reason I don't use them more is that they are inconvenient and messy to fill, and no matter what I do I always get massive ink stains on my hands. I did play with a Namiki Vanishing Point at the Fountain Pen Hospital which was cool though.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

I have a handful of vintage Esterbrooks and some others. The reason I don't use them more is that they are inconvenient and messy to fill, and no matter what I do I always get massive ink stains on my hands. I did play with a Namiki Vanishing Point at the Fountain Pen Hospital which was cool though.

May I ask why you find them inconvenient/messy? If you have some paper towel around to blot the feed and wipe the pen after inking then you should have no reason to be getting ink everywhere. Lever fillers are easier to fill than C/Cs, but I guess everyone has their preferences.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

TopherCStone posted:

You should buy some latex / nitrile gloves if it's that bad...

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

evobatman posted:

Speaking of which, are there any pens in the ~$30-50 area that are compatible with my Mont Blanc refills?

Edit: oh god the tables
How many and what type
Are your refills? Do you just want to sell them?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

TopherCStone posted:

Maybe you've got leaks between the sac and the section, like on my Esterbrook. A pen shouldn't make a mess unless it's broken.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
My metropolitan's body pulls off when I try and take the cap off. The glue holding the body isn't as strong as it should be. Anyone have a suggestion as to what glue I should stick on there to make sure it stays on?

Will regular old crazy glue work?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that the new 580s are up on TWBSI's site!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Synastren posted:

WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS? I have so many TWSBIs already! I'll bet they're so nice...

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

blame it on the falling sky
I seem to be having less-than-stellar luck with pens. New Noodler's Brush Pen dumped a cap full of Heart of Darkness on my lap, so I guess I can't leave that inked up for even a couple hours. But more troubling, I noticed that my handwriting sucks especially bad with my new Lamy Safari because the nib itself is wiggling and slips off the feed very easily. It writes like those really lovely pencils with loose lead after you sharpen them write. Not good.
I checked the Lamy Nexx I have, the nib is very snugly seated, and reading around suggests that's proper and that it should take some effort to get the nib off. Is there any way I can get the nib on the Safari to grab on a little more? I don't want to take a pair of pliers to it if that's going to be the worst idea ever.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

lucifer chikken posted:

I seem to be having less-than-stellar luck with pens. New Noodler's Brush Pen dumped a cap full of Heart of Darkness on my lap, so I guess I can't leave that inked up for even a couple hours. But more troubling, I noticed that my handwriting sucks especially bad with my new Lamy Safari because the nib itself is wiggling and slips off the feed very easily. It writes like those really lovely pencils with loose lead after you sharpen them write. Not good.
I checked the Lamy Nexx I have, the nib is very snugly seated, and reading around suggests that's proper and that it should take some effort to get the nib off. Is there any way I can get the nib on the Safari to grab on a little more? I don't want to take a pair of pliers to it if that's going to be the worst idea ever.

The first thing I'd recommend it's to swap nibs. You can pull the nib off of your Nexx with a little piece of clear tape (as I'm sure you've read). That way you'll be able to see whether the problem is that nib or the feed on your Safari.
Going to town with a pair of pliers might indeed do more harm than good, but bending that nib may be exactly what you need. And the nib can be replaced relatively cheaply if you do end up making a mess of it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Synastren posted:

I updated the OP but I forgot to mention it in the thread. :downs:

I really can't wait to get one because I've been wanting a TWSBI with a stub nib, but then I noticed they still sell the stubs for the 540 on their site and now I don't know if I can justify buying another pen. :ohdear:

cobalt impurity fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 16, 2013

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

lucifer chikken posted:

If you still have problems after SnakesRevenge's advice, you could try contacting Lamy customer support, they've been great to me in the past.
Also, regarding Noodler's pens, is there a reason people have such high expectations? Is it because he makes nice ink? My impression was that they were just rebrands of cheap Indian pens, like the flex was a Serwex something or other.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Reivax posted:

If you still have problems after SnakesRevenge's advice, you could try contacting Lamy customer support, they've been great to me in the past.
Also, regarding Noodler's pens, is there a reason people have such high expectations? Is it because he makes nice ink? My impression was that they were just rebrands of cheap Indian pens, like the flex was a Serwex something or other.

I don't get the Noodlers pen hype either. Sure some of his inks are great, but why would anyone bother buying a $20 pen that may or may not work rather than a more expensive on that's almost guaranteed to work? They seem pretty poor quality for what they are, but I guess trying to make an affordable flex pen is pretty cool. Maybe it's because there's a lot of people that seem to like the Noodler dudes :tinfoil::hf::911: attitude?

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Vitamins posted:

I don't get the Noodlers pen hype either. Sure some of his inks are great, but why would anyone bother buying a $20 pen that may or may not work rather than a more expensive on that's almost guaranteed to work? They seem pretty poor quality for what they are, but I guess trying to make an affordable flex pen is pretty cool. Maybe it's because there's a lot of people that seem to like the Noodler dudes :tinfoil::hf::911: attitude?

The original pens are far cheaper too, work just as well. Maybe its the yank yellow peril fears?
Reminds me off a guy who sells Chinese pens at an insane markup, I want to say hisnibs.com? A Jinhao X450, normally around a fiver being sold for around £20? Sounds legit. Apparently it's because he personally check each one with his all-American hands.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Vitamins posted:

He likes to claim that "the pen is the accessory to the ink", if that helps explain anything. He really just sees pens as a means to an end, whereas in here we tend to go gaga over a pen that's really nice and pleasant to write with.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Reivax posted:

The original pens are far cheaper too, work just as well. Maybe its the yank yellow peril fears?
Reminds me off a guy who sells Chinese pens at an insane markup, I want to say hisnibs.com? A Jinhao X450, normally around a fiver being sold for around £20? Sounds legit. Apparently it's because he personally check each one with his all-American hands.

That's actually genius. Might have to buy a load of those Hero 10 packs and sort out the good pens, then sell them marked up for convenience.

SnakesRevenge posted:

He likes to claim that "the pen is the accessory to the ink", if that helps explain anything. He really just sees pens as a means to an end, whereas in here we tend to go gaga over a pen that's really nice and pleasant to write with.

Yeah that makes sense. I just don't get why you'd buy an 'accessory' that actually may not fulfill it's purpose. But hey, I like being able to write with my pens, and am not really bothered about if I'm sticking it to the man by buying it.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Vitamins posted:

That's actually genius. Might have to buy a load of those Hero 10 packs and sort out the good pens, then sell them marked up for convenience.

You don't even need to buy pens that are notoriously faulty, just buy a bunch of those Jinhao 159s for about £5 a piece, and sell them for £30. You don't even need to check them! :D

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Reivax posted:

I've only got an Ahab, so I can't really speak to the other pens. But I like it because it's a pen meant to be fiddled with if you don't like how it works out of the box; also because it looks somewhat like a classic pen for just $20.

I suppose for some people there's also the whole 'precious resin' thing, and you can't complain about a somewhat flexible point in a pen that costs drat near nothing in pen dollars.

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

blame it on the falling sky

Vitamins posted:

Honestly, for the Noodler's flex nib, I went by word of mouth recommendation and then the reviews seemed decent. I know nothing about pens, I don't want pens to become a hobby really (I already blow enough cash on my darkroom), but I hate disposable ballpoints and was looking for something permanent. So that's where that went wrong. The brush pen, I just wanted a brush pen that was meant for ink. Based on the reviews I don't know if everyone who gives positive reviews is on serious uppers or I just have terrible luck.
That said, totally in love with the Lamy Nexx and I write with it every day! I will take all of the advice re: the Safari and fiddle with it and/or contact the company. Thanks. :)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I only own a Lamy Safari and an Ahab Noodler and I have to say I'm pretty tired of messing around with the Ahab to try and make it write like the Safari, i.e. without leaking or drying out too fast or being too wet or doing whatever it drat well pleases on any given day

On the other hand, the Ahab smells nice, so there's that. But yeah, I wouldn't buy another one, I just want a pen that works and can put up with my ignorant abuse / impatience. I'd definitely buy another Safari or similar type.

Do love the Noodler ink I bought, though. Problem is I don't use it up fast enough and I want to buy more bottles!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Vitamins posted:

I don't get the Noodlers pen hype either. Sure some of his inks are great, but why would anyone bother buying a $20 pen that may or may not work rather than a more expensive on that's almost guaranteed to work? They seem pretty poor quality for what they are, but I guess trying to make an affordable flex pen is pretty cool.

Ugh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I still remember my Ahab *and* Konrad dumping ink all over me while uncapping them. His inks are still loving awesome though.

If you want a great cheap pen, buy a Metro.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to get a Lamy Safari as a starter pen, but should I get a medium or fine nib...nub...tip?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I think you guys are pretty off base on the Noodler's pens. Nathan just wanted to make an inexpensive eyedropper that is totally user servicable. They are designed by him and built in India because he couldn't find anyone else who would build them to his liking. They are not a rebranded anything.

I have a number of Ahabs and Konrads and they all work fine. I enjoyed tweaking them to work exactly how I want. I have two Safari's that collect dust because I've never gotten an enjoyable experience from them no matter what nibs I swap in. My ebonite Konrad is always in my pen case right beside a lot of more expensive pens. I don't think the Noodler's pens are ideal for raw beginners or anyone who has no interest in the mechanics of fountain pens. If you go strictly by internet complaining, I don't think there is any pen model worth getting.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

I think I'm going to get a Lamy Safari as a starter pen, but should I get a medium or fine nib...nub...tip?

Lamy's fine is pretty thick, so I'd for sure recommend that choice between the two.
Definitely check out the Pilot Metro though. You'll spend a bit less and the pen is fantastic. I say overall get whichever you prefer the look of.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

The medium writes quite thick, and the fine is barely any different, so I'd chose between medium or extra fine, depending on how you write.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

SnakesRevenge posted:

Lamy's fine is pretty thick, so I'd for sure recommend that choice between the two.
Definitely check out the Pilot Metro though. You'll spend a bit less and the pen is fantastic. I say overall get whichever you prefer the look of.

Reivax posted:

The medium writes quite thick, and the fine is barely any different, so I'd chose between medium or extra fine, depending on how you write.

Thanks for the advice. :D

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Nathan Tardiff is an interesting man and very, very insane. His approach to pens is very simple in that he wants something cheap and affordable so as to be more accessable and also be entirely serviceable and customizable by the user. It's a really cool philosophy and a nice way to get a flex pen that's less expensive than a Falcon.

That said, my first Ahab had a nib-ruining manufacturing flaw that should have been spotted in QA and the second one has really uneven engraving on the cap band. They're great pens if you want a cheap eyedropper flex, but don't buy them for looks or user friendliness.

Heart of Darkness and Purple Heart are still the two most favourite inks I own. :3:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Speaking of Falcons, my Namiki Falcon is probably the best pen I've ever written with, ever. Honestly I feel it was worth the $140 in full for how much use I get out of it and how much of a pleasure it is to write with. :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Ahab I got with my bottle of HoD ended up being not too shabby. Biggest complaint I have with it is the cheap plastic means the cap is so incredibly easy to crack when you post it on the back end of the pen. My cap has a single crack maybe 1/2"-3/4" long and it keeps the cap from staying securely fastened to the pen when closed.

As for the nib, when. I received the pen the nib was black. I found out this was pain instead of anodizing or what have you because the paint started coming off within a couple days of use. Soon enough the surface variations with the lost paint meant the ink wasn't properly feeding through the nib and was instead 'pooling' in odd places. A paper towel was enough to remove the paint with next to no effort. Now it writes just fine and I use it for case notes at work daily. Maybe if I was writing a few pages in one go it might start causing a bolus of ink to start forming on the face of the nib since I notice the feed channel getting somewhat heavily loaded after a couple paragraphs. Overall, I'm happy with my Ahab. It isn't my only pen but I would say it's got a certain workhorse je ne sais quoi.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The black-nibbed pen that comes with Heart of Darkness is not an Ahab. It's a Platinum Preppy, a $3 pen from Japan that's been lightly modified for use as an eyedropper fill. Noodler's pens have silver-colored steel nibs and are made from a pretty tough resin.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

As has been said, that's a Platinum Preppy. For the cap, get a little piece of packing tape to wrap around it. It won't be as tight as it was too begin with, but that should keep the cap from just falling off the pen and letting the nib dry out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well that shows how much I know.

I use a rubber band around the cap to keep it secure. Not pretty but the pen ain't exactly my al-star or carene to begin with.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I've been reading this thread for a while, but I've never actually had an interest in fountain pens until now. Don't know jack all about them. I haven't gotten one yet, but I do recall doing calligraphy back when I was in 3rd grade or so. Thanks to this thread, I just bought a Pilot Parallel to see if I can still do it, and well...

The middle character was a mistake. It doesn't even exist. The bottom is my friend's name in Chinese, 鑼鋼. Never done blackletter in Chinese before. :)

Are there any recommendations for special kind of paper for fountain/calligraphy pens? I'm just stealing printer paper from work at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I've been reading this thread for a while, but I've never actually had an interest in fountain pens until now. Don't know jack all about them. I haven't gotten one yet, but I do recall doing calligraphy back when I was in 3rd grade or so. Thanks to this thread, I just bought a Pilot Parallel to see if I can still do it, and well...

The middle character was a mistake. It doesn't even exist. The bottom is my friend's name in Chinese, 鑼鋼. Never done blackletter in Chinese before. :)

Are there any recommendations for special kind of paper for fountain/calligraphy pens? I'm just stealing printer paper from work at the moment.

Anything that's heavy/ink resistant should do the trick. I really like my rhodia pads, and have had good experiences with ckairefontaine as well (80g/90g, respectively). Thinner paper will start to bleed and feather as it absorbs ink too quickly.
A big factor well be the properties of the ink you use too, so results will vary substantially.
If you don't see feathering or have other problems with the photocopy paper, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you'd like to try some different stuff, Brian Goulet at gouletpens.com sells some different sampler packs (though none that have several brands, unfortunately).
Basically, paper isn't too expensive, so it's easy to try some out and see what you like!

Edit: By the way, your writing is gorgeous!